Electricity On The Islands.

Rooo

Ok. Makes sense. I've only seen them on some high-end villas. They ought to be able to generate some decent power though, considering how much heat and electricity they can produce in Northern Europe.

Ok. Makes sense. I've only seen them on some high-end villas. They ought to be able to generate some decent power though, considering how much heat and electricity they can produce in Northern Europe.

Initial investment is high which has in the past been ofset (in Europe) by government subsidies but it doesn't happen in Thailand. In any case, not being able to sell excess back to the grid makes domestic use pretty much a non starter.

Interesting. Well, times they will a-change as is their wont :P Once the technology works well enough and is competitively priced, it ought to reduce storm sensitivity - though battery technology needs to improve lots as well. In a couple of decades, maybe.

Electricity now too cheap to make it viable.

Often not the case for those who get billed via the owners of a property. Friend north of Samui has pretty much the same house and electrical goods that I do and pays 3-4k a month depending on time of year while I pay around 6-700.

I'm really in two minds minds about the whole electric issue.

When i came here i knew it was a tropical island and it is still bar some extra concrete! I knew that there would be power cuts and i knew not to expect things to run as they would back in the UK.

Basically i'm sticking to those thoughts because i see no conceivable way they will ever sought out the electric system here. Its just as crap and unreliable as it has always been and will in all eventually remain so. I find that presuming the obvious (that its going to konk out) leaves me more relaxed. i actually went to BigC and bought a great candle that will light up my lounge for many blackouts to come!!!! Job done.

Best shut up or put up and get a generator.

One thing that has always remained constant here is that those that own a generator tend to be far more sympathetc to the electric company and their woeful performance. Go figure.biggrin.png

• Like 1

When i came here i knew it was a tropical island and it is still bar some extra concrete! I knew that there would be power cuts and i knew not to expect things to run as they would back in the UK.

Basically i'm sticking to those thoughts because i see no conceivable way they will ever sought out the electric system here. Its just as crap and unreliable as it has always been and will in all eventually remain so. I find that presuming the obvious (that its going to konk out) leaves me more relaxed. i actually went to BigC and bought a great candle that will light up my lounge for many blackouts to come!!!! Job done.

One thing that has always remained constant here is that those that own a generator tend to be far more sympathetc to the electric company and their woeful performance. Go figure.biggrin.png

I can lend you one for free.biggrin.png

I can lend you one for free.biggrin.png

But he needs it back when there is a power cut!!! giggle.gif

• Like 2

Initial investment is high which has in the past been ofset (in Europe) by government subsidies but it doesn't happen in Thailand. In any case, not being able to sell excess back to the grid makes domestic use pretty much a non starter.

If I remember correctly, there is a very high import tax on the panels - so as to protect the Thai manufactureres, who charge a lot for theirs.

I was talking to a supplier from Europe who said that the high tax makes it almost impossible for foreign companies.to make money

Edited by Tropicalevo

If I remember correctly, there is a very high import tax on the panels - so as to protect the Thai manufactureres, who charge a lot for theirs.

I was talking to a supplier from Europe who said that the high tax makes it almost impossible for foreign companies.to make money

Might have been true in the past, but since at least 01-01-2012 duties on photovoltaic panels is exempted.

With all the wind, rain etc....... the last few days ,not a hiccup with power. Gen resting.

Touch wood.

Same here in Lamai. If fact, I don't think I have had one since the big 3 day event.

Just came back from Lamai, the whole of beach road and the back streets are blacked out, since about 7.15 / 7.30.

With all the wind, rain etc....... the last few days ,not a hiccup with power. Gen resting.

Touch wood.

Same here in Lamai. If fact, I don't think I have had one since the big 3 day event.
Just came back from Lamai, the whole of beach road and the back streets are blacked out, since about 7.15 / 7.30.
I'm on the other side of the ring road (inland) which doesn't seem to get hit like central Lamai does.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just heard there wont be electric in Bangrak tomorrow (29/04) from 8am to 4pm , anyone heard the same? wink.png

Correct, also Plai Laem, Bophut, Tongsai etc. Basically from Fisherman Village onwards.....Might get electric back earlier if finished maintenance before.

• Like 1

They seem to be working their way along the ring road and shoot offs... with the new mainline....

I think it was near the Tesco Chawang area on Friday... where the Face book messages about that?

(I don't do Facebook!) bah.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Just came from departure terminal at bangkok airways no electric at check in counters and line is backup all the way outside. Glad im not flying today Sent from my using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No generator, that's boutique. blink.png

• Like 1

Another eight hour power cut for me to endure tomorrow. That will be the fifth one now.

Just spoke to someone from the bank in Bophut, today was all the main road offshoots, tomorrow the main road & God knows what.

Another eight hour power cut for me to endure tomorrow. That will be the fifth one now.

Just spoke to someone from the bank in Bophut, today was all the main road offshoots, tomorrow the main road & God knows what.

Apparently power off tomorrow from Samui Cable TV to Bic C; from 8am til 4pm as well. I just saw the PEA letter on someone's FB.

• Like 1