Work In Agriculture!

Guest Froggy

Hi Members!

I'm Canadian Citizen aged of 29 yo!

In August, I will land in Thailand with a Tourist Visa with Double Entries to Marry my Girlfriend(Thai Citizen).

Afetr we will get Married, I will try to obtain a Non-Immigrant Visa OA with Multiple Entries to leave the Kingdom each 90 days.

My Future Wife live in Upcountry with her family and work on the Family Field to grow rice and other vegetables.

We wanna stay there for about 1 year and a half(Tourist Visa ^months+Non-Immigrant OA for 1 year).

I know that in the Province where she live that there's not a lot of jobs but on the family field, there's a lot of works!

Can it be possible for Me to work with them even if I don't have a salary?

Can I declare this work as Voluntary works?

I know that on the Tourist Visa I can't be implicate in works! But with the OA Visa, can I do this Voluntary Work?

Thanks for Your replies!

Froggy!

First of all as far as I know farming is an occupation reserved for Thai's only.

Having said that there is a Swedish rice farmer in my wifes village, and the locals think its very funny to have a farang rice farmer. I talked to the guy once and to be honest I think he needs a 'check up from the neck up'.

Having witnessed rice farming first hand I would not be in any rush to help out on the farm, its back breaking work and to be honest you will probably just get in the way.

My advice would be to tell your new family that you would love to work on the farm but Thai Law forbids it. Then find a nice tree where you can get a good view of the rice field, get a nice comfortable chair, a few bottles of Chang and sit, relax and get happy. Personally I love picking rice, I can watch it for hours.

On a more serious note in the eyes of the Thai authorities it doesn't matter if you get paid or not you require a work permit, even for charity work.

Good Luck

Phuket Mike

Once you are married, you may help with the farm chores - that is not "work" - that's "gardening" at the family plot.

As mentioned, you are talking about back-breaking work in godawful heat.

'Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking - How do you plan to finance the next 50 years of your life?

Good luck!

Cheers,

Indo-Siam

Hi Indo-Siam!

To answer to Your question I wanna say that it's just for a year that I will stay at the family house!

After that, I'm coming back in Canada and will bring my wife also for 5 years!

We will work together in Canada and after 5 years, we will open a business in Bangkok!

I hope that it can answer to your question!

Froggy