Why I Live Where I Live ...

David48

Having grown up on the "wet" coast of Canada and traveled extensively prior to getting married I got bitten with the wander lust. After spending 10 years in one place with my former husband I decided to travel again when I became free. I revisited Thailand this year and decided to stay longer this time than just a back packing trip with friends years ago. I now have mixed feelings on where I might settle down. I'll probably just bounce back and forth between Canada and Thailand to get the best of both worlds until I can no longer do it anymore. Health will probably make that decision for me.

• Like 2

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the OP on holiday here and staying at his girlfriends parents place?

The photo is of a setting sun and paddy fields. It might be nice for me for a couple of days but certainly wouldn't choose to love there.

I chose to live in a small city. Years later Khon Kaen is a large city and the future capital city of Thailand. Maybe time for a move.

Again .. some great posts ... my words are not as expressive as yours ... wai.gif

I have only this photo taken tonight of the Full Moon rising across the ponds ...

post-104736-0-46723000-1356703555_thumb.

Or sunrise ... also this morning (same pond)

post-104736-0-28844700-1356703607_thumb.

Again ... great to read all the stories ... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

It was purely a joint decision for myself and the wife, simply because I work away from home for 6 months of the year and as she is home more than I, I think that was fair, i think the scenery in the Scottish highlands can just about match anywhere else I've ever been, so that wasn't a key issue in deciding for me otherwise we'd have stayed there, most probably the key points were the wife's family being fairly local to our area without being too close, also where we've set up home had to provide me with some activities when I'm not away working, the general cost of things in uk as opposed to Thailand ( I'm not talking tourist prices/areas), here its a quiet area that we've chosen to live, but everything we need if it's not at hand is a short drive away with the big city only 2 hours drive from us.

• Like 1

Again .. some great posts ... my words are not as expressive as yours ... wai.gif

I have only this photo taken tonight of the Full Moon rising across the ponds ...

post-104736-0-46723000-1356703555_thumb.

Or sunrise ... also this morning (same pond)

post-104736-0-28844700-1356703607_thumb.

Again ... great to read all the stories ... thumbsup.gif

Thats David doing his best Karate Kid impersonation in the bottom picbiggrin.png

Everyones pics so far are so photogenic, well done to all, dont stop posting!wai.gif

Correct me if i am wrong, but isnt the OP on holiday here and staying at his girlfriends parents place?

The photo is of a setting sun and paddy fields. It might be nice for me for a couple of days but certainly wouldn't choose to love there.

I chose to live in a small city. Years later Khon Kaen is a large city and the future capital city of Thailand. Maybe time for a move.

Time to buy some land in KK for future gains you think?

Started with Bush you couldnt walk through, and went from there...Done everything from scratch...

Thanks for the positve look on life, weegee. The garden looks lovely. When I was married back in Canada I build a lovely garden on a rough, sloping lot. I built ponds and terraced the property into a combination of rock gardens. Now I'm a vagabond and doubt if I'll ever set down roots again. But, I still appreciate what others do to their gardens.

• Like 1

This thread lets me avoid making my own thread entitled I Found My Rose Tinted Glasses That I Lost In Phuket.

OF all the places I never thought I would rediscover the Thailand I once enjoyed and liked, I have found it here in Udon Thani. Sure it's a bit boring, but that's because my Thai language skills suck. Last night I nearly froze to death at the UD Food /Beer zone watching Man Utd vs. Swansea. I was cold!!! And this was in Thailand? What a joy. I don't even like footie, but being with my friends was fun, a fun I haven't had in ages.

ok, sure, I am just visiting, but wow, what a relief. It is not hot, no humidity, no choking air pollution. I am not even using the AC. I can walk around and not get bathed in sweat in 5 minutes. I can wear nice clothes and be comfortable. The smiles are genuine, the people kind to me, and not one person has tried to scam me. For crying out loud, we've been hitting the Central food court in the basement and eating well for 150 baht. I'd be paying 400 baht for worst quality food in Patong. Tuk tuk rides for 40 baht that cost me 200 baht in Patong. No cops on the corner to collect tea money, no touts, and no streets filled with garbage.

All the lies I heard over the years about Issan. Lazy, ugly people. Stupid low class old farangs and bargirl wives. All BS. My southern "friends" would ridicule this place making fun of the people calling them darkies etc. Well, I got news for them. The people are pleasing to the eye, there are no tattooed yobs wandering about like on Phuket, I haven't seen any old farangs and their ex hooker wives, but I have seen some older couples obviously happy. The foreigners may not be as well off as what i see in Patong, but they look a heck of alot more respectable and nowhere near as stressed.

What I find amazing is that people respect the no smoking and no parking rules here. The tuk tuks actually behave properly, and no one is smoking in the entertainment areas or restaurants. Shop clerks are actually helpful.

Ok, sure, I have a positive spin to all this, but my one point is that if anyone is ready to give up hope, please consider a change of venue. Try looking in a place you would never think of. It might be in the south, perhaps Trang, or it might be in Issan or Surin, but get off the beaten path, put aside the prejudices and rediscover the beauty in Thailand. Thailand is so much more than Pattaya/Koh Samui/Phuket/Bangkok.

Nice post GK thumbsup.gif