Buying Booze In Tachilek - Jack Daniel's

kjhbigv

I wanted to test for myself, once and for all....I bought a bottle of JD in the Duty Free shop last week, 720 baht for 1L and have just been to Tesco's and bought 70CL bottle for THB1040.00......I have just compared the two by taste side by side.....tasted the Tesco one first, tasted smooth and fine......tasted the Duty Free one....oh my god, a massive difference!

Also, the label on the duty free is a flat bland 'thin paper' label, the Tesco one is thick paper with embossed writing.

My mind is made up now.

post-65233-0-03003600-1356271758_thumb.j

post-65233-0-41903100-1356271879_thumb.j

post-65233-0-52676600-1356272002_thumb.j

post-65233-0-97953700-1356272075_thumb.j

• Like 2

Thanks for that, OP. I was up there at the border about a month ago with a bottle of the JD in one hand and 700Bt in the other (wasn't the duty free shop, but one inside the market).

It certainly looked like the real thing, but at the last moment I just thought that at that price it had to be too good to be true, and put it back on the shelf. Been wondering ever since if I had lost out on a good deal. Thanks for your investigation.

I seem to see a theme developing here.

The only complaints re: the official duty free involve Jack Daniels and Jim Beam whiskey. In other words, American spirits.

Isn't there a trade embargo between the US and Myanmar, which was recently partially lifted?

Is it possible that only the American spirits are counterfeit, and all others genuine? Just a thought.

I was just there a week ago and bought 3 bottles of booze- Deanston single malt, Bunnahabain single malt, and Havana Club 7 year Anejo.

All my purchases were 100% authentic.

I don't doubt the naysayers at all, just saying that everything I've bought there over the years has been the real deal.

Usually Australian wine (Penfolds), Havana Club rum, and various Scotch whiskey.

Sorry to hear others have had a bad experience.

Maybe avoid trying to buy American product there, as all the other seems to be genuine.

I seem to see a theme developing here.

The only complaints re: the official duty free involve Jack Daniels and Jim Beam whiskey. In other words, American spirits.

Isn't there a trade embargo between the US and Myanmar, which was recently partially lifted?

Is it possible that only the American spirits are counterfeit, and all others genuine? Just a thought.

I was just there a week ago and bought 3 bottles of booze- Deanston single malt, Bunnahabain single malt, and Havana Club 7 year Anejo.

All my purchases were 100% authentic.

I don't doubt the naysayers at all, just saying that everything I've bought there over the years has been the real deal.

Usually Australian wine (Penfolds), Havana Club rum, and various Scotch whiskey.

Sorry to hear others have had a bad experience.

Maybe avoid trying to buy American product there, as all the other seems to be genuine.

no keep buying all the american crap so they can copy them

thats at least 5 bottles of genuine Whisky been sold

dont want them to start copying real whisky.well they are but what scot sais johnnie walker is real whisky

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If any one thinks the booze from Tachilek is the real deal then your taste buds have been destroyed from drinking it.

Rubbish.

Again, never had a bad batch from there yet. Not saying all places are legit, but I've never come across a dud yet.

Edited by DaamNaam
  • Like 1

I bought a Knob Creek Bourbon from the shop on the bridge a couple of days ago. 9 year old 100 proof. It is unbelievable. I'll never drink Jack Daniels again. It is a small batch limited release and if this is fake they someone knows what they are doing. One of the best bourbons I have ever tasted. On another note the wines we bought were not worth the money but better than Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

If any one thinks the booze from Tachilek is the real deal then your taste buds have been destroyed from drinking it.

Rubbish.

Again, never had a bad batch from there yet. Not saying all places are legit, but I've never come across a dud yet.

How are you so sure? I have bought 100 Pipers in the past and drank it, not noticing any difference. Yes, from the Duty Free Shop on the bridge but compared side by side and neat on their own, not with a mixer with the JD a massive difference! Next time I will do the same with a bottle of 100 Pipers and a bottle of Smirnoff, see how we get on with those!

Edited by kjhbigv

Rubbish.

How are you so sure? I have bought 100 Pipers in the past and drank it, not noticing any difference. Yes, from the Duty Free Shop on the bridge but compared side by side and neat on their own, not with a mixer with the JD a massive difference! Next time I will do the same with a bottle of 100 Pipers and a bottle of Smirnoff, see how we get on with those!

I am sure because i have always had the real deal, quite easy to understand.

Rubbish.

I was up there at New Year and bought two bottles of The Balvenie Doublewood single malt at the shop on the bridge and can assure you that it is genuine but no cheaper than most airport duty free shops. I didn''t try the shops down the steps but maybe give them a go next time.

• Like 2

Rubbish.

I am sure because i have always had the real deal, quite easy to understand.

What do you buy?

Rubbish.

I was up there at New Year and bought two bottles of The Balvenie Doublewood single malt at the shop on the bridge and can assure you that it is genuine but no cheaper than most airport duty free shops. I didn''t try the shops down the steps but maybe give them a go next time.

Now we are talking alcohol and more to the pointt Whisky

how much was the class drink Balvenie as i am up there in a months time,

All these replies and views to go on about Jack Daniels and now 100 pipers

Give me peace as my old mother used to say

• Like 1

I bought a couple of bottles of Uncle Tom's rum, R label at Tesco in Chiang Mai and it ain't half bad. For 219 it's hard to go wrong if you just want some booze to go with a mixer. But, for the hard core drinkers who like their alcohol straight then I guess you are stuck with buying the expensive stuff at upwards of 1000 baht a bottle. I can't tell good booze from bad booze because I almost always use a mixer. And, one or two drinks is all want at any time.