The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 1/30/2017 at 8:34 PM, amjamj said:

The one at foodmart is the real thing and is so good.

But don't you agree that it could be an interesting dish to sell at many places, for Thai and farang ?

OK, I tried the tortilla espanola sold at FoodMart. 

My reference for this dish is a purist version with basic ingredients and tasting distinctively of olive oil.  Like you would get typically at a tapas bar in Madrid.

This version offers a large portion at 139 of something less purist.

There is egg on top but the mixture in the potatoes had some kind of creaminess going on, reminded me of bechamel sauce. There were small chunks of bacon. I didn't taste olive oil or butter. I understand olive oil is expensive in Thailand. As it's a large portion I tried half of it two times. One time warmed up and one time cold. I liked it cold better. It might have even been better room temp but I didn't try that. It's a nice dish whatever it is, for what it is, but it won't be my cup of tea for buying again.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Jims Burgers. Went there the other night after seeing it reccomended on this thread. I ordered the small Jim burger with fries, which was amended to burger and onion rings because they had no fries left (would McDs or BK run out of fries?). Burger included bacon,  cheese, fried onions, pickle and raw onion. Price was about 160 Baht. I was off the beer after a heavy night the night before but I won't be tempted at the prices on offer. I did enjoy the food and think it was value for money. The burger had a slightly strange aftertaste but it wasn't unpleasant. When I left there were just 2 customers remaining and they had their food, but the 4 staff in the kitchen were all busy cooking, presumably for deliveries.

I will visit again and have the larger size burger and, hopefully, french fries. I rarely drink booze in a restaurant so will not be partaking of their beer. It is too expensive anyway IMO. Jims is a bit off the beaten track on the road behind Central Marina that leads to North Pattaya Road. It is worth visiting for me. GOOD.

Edited by champers
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, champers said:

Jims Burgers. Went there the other night after seeing it reccomended on this thread. I ordered the small Jim burger with fries, which was amended to burger and onion rings because they had no fries left (would McDs or BK run out of fries?). Burger included bacon,  cheese, fried onions, pickle and raw onion. Price was about 160 Baht. I was off the beer after a heavy night the night before but I won't be tempted at the prices on offer. I did enjoy the food and think it was value for money. The burger had a slightly strange aftertaste but it wasn't unpleasant. When I left there were just 2 customers remaining and they had their food, but the 4 staff in the kitchen were all busy cooking, presumably for deliveries.

I will visit again and have the larger size burger and, hopefully, french fries. I rarely drink booze in a restaurant so will not be partaking of their beer. It is too expensive anyway IMO. Jims is a bit off the beaten track on the road behind Central Marina that leads to North Pattaya Road. It is worth visiting for me. GOOD.

Next time I'm going for the Double Dragon :-).  Excellent burgers imho, btw try one their IPA's if you can afford it, recommended.  Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Went to Richman Poorman Guesthouse, Soi 9 in Jometien just off Beach Rd restaurant today for Ed's new in house ground burger.  I have to report that it is an awesome burger.  It's very juicy, and I got it well done, and very tasty.  Couple that with the perfectly baked and toasted bun and you have a winner sir.

I'll definitely be back for several.  Thanks Ed!

I'll share a photo off his Facebook page, you can get it with potato salad instead of coleslaw if you prefer.  

His quote as follows:

Wagyu beef,Thai French Beef and 100% Cheddar Cheese with lettuce, tomato, carmelized onions, pickles, special sauce on Brioche Sesame Seed Bun. Served with cole slawor potao salad. Hamburger 175 baht or Cheeseburger 195 baht. Special through the month of March

16938802_1911181095785071_5226671061102320968_n.jpg

I will certainly give this a try. Note to self: leave some room for the apple pie.

• Like 1

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I really liked "Real Indian Restaurant" in Jomtien. I usually dislike most indian restaurants here because they taste nothing like what you can get in india. However an expat friend of mine who grew up around south asia recommended it to me. 

I had the Chicken Jalfrezi curry 260 bath. plain nan 50 bath. I bit pricey i thought so I don't think you can get out the door without spending 350 or so.  They have set menu specials cheaper.

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Real+India+Restaurant/@12.8998255,100.8688257,19.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x85d886f86c85a754!8m2!3d12.9003795!4d100.8689218?hl=en

realindia.jpg

To know if it's expensive you need to check if Mix raita is above 100 baht !

Is it new ? Thapraya road on the way to jomtien beach road, I have never seen it.

Found the menu

Screenshot 2017-02-27 13.21.54.png

Edited by abab

3 hours ago, abab said:

To know if it's expensive you need to check if Mix raita is above 100 baht !

Is it new ? Thapraya road on the way to jomtien beach road, I have never seen it.

Found the menu

Screenshot 2017-02-27 13.21.54.png

Expensive isn't the word we use mate. It's overcharging people who don't know any better. The prices on the menu you posted are  higher than the already high Indian food prices in nearby South Pattaya. Finding reasonably priced Indian food is going I guess require a trip to India but then who ever knows if it's "really chicken" and/or "really lamb"? Actually, we don't know that here in Pattaya either. I got sick twice in the last two visits to an Indian restaurant here and have simply been on break because of it. To top that off, I went to the usually reliable McDonalds for breakfast and they are asking 47 Baht for one hash brown, a perhaps 3" by 2" by 5/16" miss mash of potatoes fried? What's the town coming to and becoming? Back to Thai street food for me after these ordeals and visits to Beefeaters, Steak and Co., and the new Smokin Joes, Dave's Cantina.... Everyone is going for the quick short revenue and ruining the long term custom. Dog gone....it?

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Becker said:

Looks like Pattaya's latest addition to the Mexican food scene is now open. Anyone tried it?

https://www.facebook.com/DavesCantinaPattaya/

I haven't yet but will definitely try them, subcribing to their Facebook page doesn't help with all the great photos and descriptions.  My only hinderence is their location which will provide a precarious motorbike ride or a taxi.

Dave's...I went by there again today. It's open! I'll give it a try and advise. Thanks for the correction mate. The mind fades as you age. OO and God Bless You and your loved ones. 

Breakfast Club Pattaya is a fb site, 20,000 members, so a lot of info for Pattaya food fans, Dave's Cantina has posted on it pictures, looks Fantastic, another good site for foodies in Pattaya

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Thanks 1

RE: Dave's Cantina...I don't think so. It wasn't offered on the menu. Pork or Chicken were 10-20 Baht less than beef(300 minus 10/20 Baht). Upon reflection and riding up and down the Soi, I've come to the conclusion it's doomed at the price level the menu is, combined with the general economy of the area. It's a low bottom Ex Pat(3000-6000Baht a month roooms) and Thai area. Cheap apartments and lots of Thai housing. Most of the foot traffic is coming and going to the market at the top end. The brain power required to open an even slightly higher end restaurant in said area must be astounding. No tourists except an occasional lost Chinese group or Middle Easterners from the group hotel at the 3rd road intersection. 

Great guy, Dave, just announced deep fried ice cream

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Sorry, anybody knows where in Pattaya the best kind of mozarella is used on pizza ? No the shiiite that we can buy at BigC, but the best imported from italy (water buffalo milk_.

But maybe as most people understand nothing about what is good or not, any kind of shiiite dry mozza is good enough for most ?

Jidaiya Japanese Pattaya

two locations.

Main location, 3rd road in back of Central Marina

Smaller location, 2nd road, across from Soi 6

These are Izakaya type places.

Informal "after work" type casual places to eat and drink.

Menu prices are moderate but plus plus.

I had the tuna bowl 280 and soba w/ horseradish 170

Quite good. Seemingly quite authentic. Lots of choices including ramen.

See websites for more.

http://www.finerestaurantfinder.com/restaurant/1604181929835550/焼肉居酒屋 時代屋本店-jidaiya honten

https://www.facebook.com/Jidaiya.Honten/

Edited by Jingthing

Note -- I visited the 2nd road location. It's quite cozy and there is both a large counter area and also tables. All customers except me were Japanese men. There is no English language sign in front but somewhat surprisingly the menu was accessible enough with pictures and most items including English names (but not descriptions). 

The menu claims they've been around since 1955!

I really don't think they've been in Pattaya that long. Perhaps someplace like Sri Racha? Does anyone know their history exactly? 

Edited by Jingthing

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Note -- I visited the 2nd road location. It's quite cozy and there is both a large counter area and also tables. All customers except me were Japanese men. There is no English language sign in front but somewhat surprisingly the menu was accessible enough with pictures and most items including English names (but not descriptions). 

The menu claims they've been around since 1955!

I really don't think they've been in Pattaya that long. Perhaps someplace like Sri Racha? Does anyone know their history exactly? 

Around in Japan?

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Rumor alert.

As many know Pastrami and Rye Jomtien closed their Thappraya Road location permanently and sold their brand name to some people in Bangkok.

Anyway, their facebook page recently mentioned their PRODUCTS will be back locally in some form in the future. But wasn't more specific.

Well ... I wonder if perhaps that new form might be related to new shop brand going up on Soi Buakow near the Greek Grill House?

It's just a sign for now ... Great American Sandwich Company. 

Odd post at best. "Pastrami and Rye" would hardly be recognized as a "brand name" in any country. It wasn't that popular as to trademark such a generic name and sell it. In fact, it went out of business, failed. Some of your lose reality over here. The sign mentioned has been there for a long time. "It's just a sign" most likely to shield the location from the sun. 

8 hours ago, champers said:

Pricing in that locale will have to be considered carefully. 

People spend their money on beer around there, not food. Good astute observation. Having said that, Steak and Company and it's new sister venue next door, Smokin Joes BBQ are doing a good custom. Patience must be the key because Steak and Company was losing money for at least the last year but has recently seen an upswing. It's busy most dinner time hours when I walk by. I know they haven't lowered prices, so that can only mean one thing....Bars and girls in the area have lowered their prices allowing the guys to focus more on a good overpriced meal. Lucky I'm not on such a "budget". 

On 12/02/2017 at 2:59 PM, champers said:

Bacon grease is grossly underrated and criminally underused. Try soaking a thick slice of bread in bacon fat then stick it under the grill like you would toast. In civilised parts of the UK pork dripping is used to make sandwiches - dripping cakes as they are known. Beef dripping is used in chip shops for deep frying chips.

If you have a dodgy ticker avoid all of the above.

champers

"dripping cakes" ...........when I used to make trips over the hill to Barnsley many years ago they were called "mucky fat butties" :cheesy:

• Like 2

On 15/02/2017 at 7:35 AM, marinediscoking said:

Something they have that no other Greek restaurant has is 'Giant beans". They bring them back with them from Greece as they not available here. It is kind of a a tomoto based stew.  It is a husband and wife place, very nice people.

Giant beans....better known as Yigantes,broad beans soaked overight and slow cooked with tomatoes and herbs but beware of the "flatulence" effect afterwards :cheesy:

2 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Odd post at best. "Pastrami and Rye" would hardly be recognized as a "brand name" in any country. It wasn't that popular as to trademark such a generic name and sell it. In fact, it went out of business, failed. Some of your lose reality over here. The sign mentioned has been there for a long time. "It's just a sign" most likely to shield the location from the sun. 

Take it easy on him that's not his neighbourhood but yours. Plus I think in a certain expat demographic the Pastrami & Rye name was well known in BKK and the Eastern Thai Seaboard. Reading between the lines of their FB posting it would seem father & son had another falling out.

• Like 1