The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

2 minutes ago, balo said:

Yep, plenty of Chinese around this week so golden week it must be .  Not a big fan of Chinese food anyway. 

More dumplings for me, heh heh. Honestly, I can't really process not liking Chinese food. The variety of it is mind boggling. Kind of like saying you don't like food. Perhaps you haven't met the right Chinese food yet? ????

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I already explained that the wontons in peanut sauce is NOT the English description on the menu. I posted before how it's described on the menu and I also posted a PICTURE of the dish (which you could show).

ACTUAL DISH.

snackwontonpeanutsauce.jpg.a76b40d3c18459749fe28792994a3195.jpg

Dish on the menu is called MIXED WONTON, 100 baht.

It's a popular dish with that brand but it's a CHINESE brand. I don't care at all if you don't like it. I have not tried to oversell the place. I even posted that I was told by a Chinese person that the brand has a general bad reputation in China and even though many thousands of locations, many thousands have closed. I think they have some good dishes, at good prices, and to me they're a welcome option in Pattaya. 

I still think those steamed dumplings at 80 baht are very good when they are served fresh. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

As far as your feeling that they are FROZEN, I am highly confident that you are MISTAKEN. 

Why do I say that?

Because I've visited when they were making them by hand on a table two times already.

On the water thing, you "win" but actually I have observed that most tables are not even ordering water. Could be Chinese Cheap Charlies, eh? 

This place is doing a roaring business, almost all with groups of Chinese tourists, so I'm sure losing you isn't going to be noticed. The owner does not speak English or Thai. Given his customer base, he doesn't need to, but in my experience he is sincere and friendly and welcoming of westerners (even though he doesn't really need the business). I don't speak Chinese either. 

Another general comment about Chinese restaurants right now in Pattaya. We are now in the middle of GOLDEN WEEK. It's the peak Chinese tourism period for the entire year. That means that some Chinese restaurants in Pattaya now will be very packed and the kitchen's stressed. I don't know about this place because I haven't been there during GOLDEN WEEK. But I have in the past accidentally visited a local Chinese place during such a week and it was madness. 

Have fun. 

It was empty at 6:30 PM when we were there.  So yea, "roaring business".  I am 95% sure it will be out of business in a few more months.  They may make it through one high season but one more low season and they are gone.

Edited by lapd

14 minutes ago, lapd said:

It was empty at 6:30 PM when we were there.  So yea, "roaring business".  I am 95% sure it will be out of business in a few more months.  They may make it through one high season but one more low season and they are gone.

He's looking to add local branches is what I've heard. I'm sorry. I don't usually react this way, but the way you're trashing this restaurant because you didn't get fresh 80 baht dumplings there, which I totally believe as it's happened to me too, is really over the top. You accuse them of serving FROZEN dumplings with no evidence and now it's like you're cursing the place. This thread is not intended to unfairly trash businesses in that way. That is NASTY. If you don't like the food, don't eat there. Enough. 

Yes, that "peanut sauce" dish which is not named that way on the menu is one of the dishes this very famous Chinese brand is best known for. As I said before, it's said to have over 40,000 locations in China and now with plans to expand more globally, including Thailand. But it's a weird chain … no central control so the food will vary location to location. I continue to contend that our local one while having flaws and not every dish so good, is a sincere and ethical business operation. I was openly told the noodles were BOUGHT IN, not made in house, because of the size of the place, with the clear acknowledgement that BOUGHT IN noodles are inferior. But they make the dumplings in house. They don't buy them in frozen unless someone can actually provide evidence that they do, that's the way it is. 

Edited by Jingthing

On 8/28/2018 at 2:17 AM, digbeth said:

Another confirmed opening for Terminal 21 Pattaya

Tongkatsu Kazan Ramen

A chain ramen restaurant from Osaka with signature dish of 'Volcano Ramen' gimick where the soup is pouted into the hot noodle dish making it steam

0005BP7514487568584E39j.jpg

0005BQ0061B836E3CD5A45j.jpg

This franchise is operated by the same company that licences Hawker Chan and Tim Ho Wan franchise, I had learned that they had 2 locations within T21 Pattaya, at first I had speculated that they'd bring Tim Ho Wan since they'd just closed their Korat location, but now that it's Hawker Chan moving there from Royal Garden and this new Ramen Place meaning that Tim Ho Wan is probably not coming at this time.

Was in Bangkok for a couple of days so I dropped in to this place that's opening in Terminal21 Pattaya

Apart from the gimmick of steaming soups on hot stone bowl and steaming chimney, everything else was so so, the soup was average, the soba noodles, despite being made on premise taste not that different from store bought ones. Ingredients of cabbage and beans sprout was very Thai in presentation and cheapens the dish. I was excited before but I'd give this chain a miss. There's plenty of genuine independent Japanese restaurant and ramen place to be had around (Maybe not in Pattaya).

For Japanese at Terminal21 Pattaya

Shakariki is probably the best bet so far, they're expanding into proper chain territory now but still retain character and charms of independently run restaurants

8 hours ago, digbeth said:

Was in Bangkok for a couple of days so I dropped in to this place that's opening in Terminal21 Pattaya

Apart from the gimmick of steaming soups on hot stone bowl and steaming chimney, everything else was so so, the soup was average, the soba noodles, despite being made on premise taste not that different from store bought ones. Ingredients of cabbage and beans sprout was very Thai in presentation and cheapens the dish. I was excited before but I'd give this chain a miss. There's plenty of genuine independent Japanese restaurant and ramen place to be had around (Maybe not in Pattaya).

For Japanese at Terminal21 Pattaya

Shakariki is probably the best bet so far, they're expanding into proper chain territory now but still retain character and charms of independently run restaurants

All of T21 is a gimmick.  The whole mall is designed to be like an airport.  Out front, where the planes are, is designed to be like a runway. They even have lights embeddd in the runway.  Not sure what that is all about because they all stick up an inch or two and there are a whole bunch of them.  I can see lots of people tripping on them.  Don't think anyone thought of that or maybe since TiT, they just don't care.  Maybe it is going to be some sort of animated light show or something. 

Looking inside there is still some scaffolding around. The tile floor has the plastic cover removed now and is being shined up.  Looks like they may be painting something onto the big airplane out front.  My guess is that at least half the restaurants are just more of the same restaurants you already find in Pattaya.  Probably some of the other locations are going to be shut down once it's up and running.  How many Shibushi's do you really need?  I think there is one in every mall in town including Harbor.  There is one in Central Marina just 5 minutes walk from there.  My guess is they close that one down once the T21 restaurant is has been running for awhile.  Unless maybe they are all franchises and the parent company is just selling as many franchises as they can.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, lapd said:

All of T21 is a gimmick.  The whole mall is designed to be like an airport.  Out front, where the planes are, is designed to be like a runway. They even have lights embeddd in the runway.  Not sure what that is all about because they all stick up an inch or two and there are a whole bunch of them.  I can see lots of people tripping on them.  Don't think anyone thought of that or maybe since TiT, they just don't care.  Maybe it is going to be some sort of animated light show or something. 

Looking inside there is still some scaffolding around. The tile floor has the plastic cover removed now and is being shined up.  Looks like they may be painting something onto the big airplane out front.  My guess is that at least half the restaurants are just more of the same restaurants you already find in Pattaya.  Probably some of the other locations are going to be shut down once it's up and running.  How many Shibushi's do you really need?  I think there is one in every mall in town including Harbor.  There is one in Central Marina just 5 minutes walk from there.  My guess is they close that one down once the T21 restaurant is has been running for awhile.  Unless maybe they are all franchises and the parent company is just selling as many franchises as they can.

Shabushi is hugely popular, especially with Thais. At peak times people queue for an hour and more at the Central Beach Road branch.

2 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I despise Shabushi.....I refuse to set foot in that place ever again...Even if it was free I would not eat there....Their Boiling food in water set up just kills any flavor for me....I they do a very good job of screwing up the rest of the food too.

First time I went to Shabushi I hated it......Second time I went back I just wanted to make sure I hated it-well guess what? I still hated it....3rd time my girlfriends family wanted to go there,and like a dumb-ass I went along and SURPRISE it still sucked... 

I don't like it either. I will pay for others to eat there while I go for a pizza.

• Like 1

Review I read.  I wonder if it is true that they don't pay rent?

"Here is the cheapest food court for the shopping mall in Bangkok. Because the owner want to attract more customer to come here, he doesn't need the restaurants in the 5/F to pay for any rent. The condition for free rent is to have the very low price for their food. It is a win/win/win situation. Owner has more customers to visit, restaurants are free rent, customers eat cheap food. Owner also invited famous chef in town in here. So it is not just cheap but delicious. Window seat can see bangkok city view, what a romantic sunset dinner with your love one."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, champers said:

Shabushi is hugely popular, especially with Thais. At peak times people queue for an hour and more at the Central Beach Road branch.

They are mostly empty every time I walk by.  The one exception is probably the one in Central although that only looked about half full when I walked by the other day during lunchtime.  I stopped going after they raised their prices.

3 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Review I read.  I wonder if it is true that they don't pay rent?

"Here is the cheapest food court for the shopping mall in Bangkok. Because the owner want to attract more customer to come here, he doesn't need the restaurants in the 5/F to pay for any rent. The condition for free rent is to have the very low price for their food. It is a win/win/win situation. Owner has more customers to visit, restaurants are free rent, customers eat cheap food. Owner also invited famous chef in town in here. So it is not just cheap but delicious. Window seat can see bangkok city view, what a romantic sunset dinner with your love one."

That is just the Bangkok one.  I doubt Pattaya will be the same.  It's not the same in Korat.  Also, as I have said repeatedly, it's still not that great a deal because the portions are really small.  I got Pad Thai Kung at T21 Bkk for about 50-60 baht as I recall.  It was maybe half the amount of shrimp and noodles as the Pad Thai Kung I get in Pattaya for the same price at my favorite little Thai restaurant

Edited by lapd

Lapd again , what is his mission ? Cant accept a new mall in town ? All his posts are negative , I wonder why ? Everyone knows it will be a success whatever happens.
There's really no point for you to continue your negativity , we got it now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, balo said:

Lapd again , what is his mission ? Cant accept a new mall in town ? All his posts are negative , I wonder why ? Everyone knows it will be a success whatever happens.
There's really no point for you to continue your negativity , we got it now.

I definitely get your point but he's probably right in general that the Pattaya T21 food court won't be as good as in Bangkok. However you define good, which to me is more about quality than low prices / large portion.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I definitely get your point but he's probably right in general that the Pattaya T21 food court won't be as good as in Bangkok. 

I was sort of hoping for the return of the Great American Rib since it's supposed to have a US themed floor. When Central opened they had their sign on the wall but never materialized. Would at least have had somewhere to escape for meat & beer when I inevitably have to chauffeur the kids in.

10 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I was sort of hoping for the return of the Great American Rib since it's supposed to have a US themed floor. When Central opened they had their sign on the wall but never materialized. Would at least have had somewhere to escape for meat & beer when I inevitably have to chauffeur the kids in.

Do you also like to hang out at Hooters, Texas grill, Hard Rock and any other place from Murica or with Murican name because......Murica?  

Edited by lapd

The themes aren't generally about the food styles.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, lapd said:

Do you also like to hang out at Hooters, Texas grill, Hard Rock and any other place from Murica or with Murican name because......Murica?

No, I just like good BBQ.  Richman Poorman is my go-to if I need a fix. Though most of the time I do the ribs myself, but having teenage kids I'm sometimes forced to drive them to the malls to meet their friends. Usually people grow out of the malls by the time they reach adulthood, I was never a fan.

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

No, I just like good BBQ.  Richman Poorman is my go-to if I need a fix. Though most of the time I do the ribs myself, but having teenage kids I'm sometimes forced to drive them to the malls to meet their friends. Usually people grow out of the malls by the time they reach adulthood, I was never a fan.

Try Saturday/Sunday all you can eat pork ribs and tacos at Beefeaters.  I think it's around 350-400baht.  We go at least once a month.

Edited by lapd
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, lapd said:

Try Saturday/Sunday Ribs and Tacos at Beefeaters.  All you can eat.  I think it's about 350-400baht.  We go at least once a month.

Did it about a month ago I think. They didn't have the chili that time, otherwise it's ok-ish. The ribs in the buffet have not been slow smoked but boiled, the sauce is ok. Points for the sour cream & jalapenos they got, I like to load up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2018 at 10:12 PM, Jingthing said:

The themes aren't generally about the food styles.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Quite funny when I found a rustic french village looking building in Na Jomtien serving Som Tum and Issan Cuisine (granted they have a european food in a separate building).

The place is called A la Campagne or Som Tum Villa It's on the Southbound Sukhumvit just before Huay Yai/Prosecutor's Junction. Looks like one of those many Thai tourist trap fake european thing, but the food is decent and has some unique takes on things. The european wing has nice tea and cakes selection (a bit high on price) in nice garden setting. 

• Thanks 1

Minor update on the dim sum Food Street, Soi 3, North Pattaya, at the A-1 Hotel.

I have been a number of times now. The dim sum is still good but like anywhere there is some inconsistency. Like the shrimp in rice flour rolls was great the first time but subpar the second. But generally most things are still good or very good. I particularly enjoy the fried dumplings with chive and garlic. 

This is a food court concept and the dim sum is only one section but after repeated visits it appears to me that the dim sum is probably a large portion of their total sales, with perhaps basic Thai style noodle soups second.

The seafood section seems a dud. One time I ordered a dish there and was served the wrong dish and the next time tried to order it again, but no have. Tonight is was totally dark.

I have never seen much action at all at the pizza or burger stations. 

Right now in the middle of the supposedly peak Chinese tourism season, even the dim sum station was very slow.

So I'm posting to say you might want to try this place sooner or later. :coffee1: It's a very large space that now looks to be massive overkill to support mostly a dim sum stand. 

I'm now feeling the dim sum menu which is quite good, could be bigger. I doubt one time tourists would notice though.

My fantasy suggestion which I know won't happen is for that space to give up on everything except the dim sum, greatly expand the menu, and even do CART service like a real dim sum restaurant. And where's the bloody pots of tea? 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Sankalp Indian vegetarian restaurant

2nd road across from Royal Garden

Mentioned before favorably but the last two times I've passed by there, it's been closed. There was a weird issue there where they weren't doing a lot of this famous Indian brand's menu items in the brand's style and there were always excuses -- coming later (told numerous times already). 

Don't consider this a final announcement of a closing (really quite soon after their opening) but something to watch. 

Edited by Jingthing

That dim sum place at the A1 hotel is failing. Always empty when I go by.  It probably won't be around much longer.  Looking at the prices and menus it doesn't look like anything to get excited about to me.

That chinese restaurant across from Soi 6 is failing as well.  Walked by there at 6:30 pm the other day and nobody there.  The guys who work there were sleeping on the tables.  Not surprised as the main dish, which is the steamed dumplings, are not very good imo.  Seems two or three people here like the wonton in peanut sauce dish but it's not even mentioned on the menu.  You just have to know what the picture looks like.  That's not a recipe for a successful restaurant if you just have one good dish that is not even properly labeled on the menu.

Edited by lapd

On 10/8/2018 at 8:49 AM, lapd said:

That dim sum place at the A1 hotel is failing. Always empty when I go by.  It probably won't be around much longer.  Looking at the prices and menus it doesn't look like anything to get excited about to me.

That chinese restaurant across from Soi 6 is failing as well.  Walked by there at 6:30 pm the other day and nobody there.  The guys who work there were sleeping on the tables.  Not surprised as the main dish, which is the steamed dumplings, are not very good imo.  Seems two or three people here like the wonton in peanut sauce dish but it's not even mentioned on the menu.  You just have to know what the picture looks like.  That's not a recipe for a successful restaurant if you just have one good dish that is not even properly labeled on the menu.

I agree...