Alcohol Crackdown In Force: Thailand

webfact

Alcohol crackdown in force

Wattana Khamchoo

The Nation

30197052-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As the excitement builds ahead of the New Year, authorities have busted more than 50 booze vendors over the past three days as part of the crackdown on alcohol sales at prohibited venues and during prohibited times to prevent accidents caused by drunk driving.

Driving under the influence is the biggest cause of traffic accidents at 33 per cent, Narong Sahamethaphat, permanent secretary of the Public Health Ministry, told the Road Safety Centre's daily press briefing yesterday.

Officials from the Disease Control Department have inspected 271 venues since Thursday and taken legal action against 53 of them for selling alcoholic drinks in prohibited places, including public parks, petrol stations, pharmacies and government offices.

Also, some of them had sold drinks during periods of the day when such transactions are banned.

Revellers were warned not to drink while driving or riding in a vehicle, as that would violate a PM's Office directive.

Narong said the death toll had reached 148 in the first three of the "seven dangerous days" of the New Year break. During the period there were 1,362 injuries and 1,322 road accidents. All the figures were lower than last year's 165 deaths, 1,782 injuries and 1,605 accidents.

Nakhon Pathom was the province with the most deaths at 11, while Chiang Mai had the most road accidents at 61 and injuries at 64.

Trat has been accident-free since Thursday. It was among the 20 provinces that have yet to report any traffic fatality.

Monday alone saw 77 deaths and 536 injuries from 513 road accidents.

Half of the victims were rushed to hospitals by passers-by and this put them at risk of worse conditions and even death from improper first aid, Narong said. People should call the medical emergency hotline at 1669, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-31

RT @191Thailand:

There has been 202 deaths on roads so far during the new year holiday in Thailand: Day 1 (33), Day 2 (38), Day 3 (77) & Day 4 (54).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crackdown? My own observations, I've noticed less checkpoints this year.

I went through 4 checkpoints on the 5 hour drive to Chumphon last week, however they were all in the morning.

They mostly seem to pack the checkpoints from lunch time (11am it seems) On the way back i had no checkpoints. Incidentally in driving both ways, I saw 1 big crash on the way down and 3 on the way back. When you are in any way involved and have to get out of your car (which i was), it becomes increasingly clear how dangerous the roads/drivers are. I would say a huge amount of deaths are caused not by the original accident, but by other cars coming along behind to fast and smashing into the original accident and people helping.

Officials from the Disease Control Department have inspected 271 venues since Thursday and taken legal action against 53 of them for selling alcoholic drinks in prohibited places, including public parks, petrol stations, pharmacies and government offices.

Government offices breaking the law tut tut, maybe they didn't get the memo from above !!

If my maths is correct out of 271 venues checked so far, 53 were found to be offending, this equates to 19.5% (on average)

this is not something I would boast about as being a success story !!

Government offices breaking the law tut tut, maybe they didn't get the memo from above !!

If my maths is correct out of 271 venues checked so far, 53 were found to be offending, this equates to 19.5% (on average)

this is not something I would boast about as being a success story !!

Buying alcohol at pharmacies - possible. whistling.gif

Buying alcohol at Gov offices - that's new. thumbsup.gif

Do they have special offers / promotions? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

What has the disease control got to do with it?

Alcoholism is a disease which leads to breakdowns of relationships and anti-social behavior, such as drink-driving.

Another reason may be that medicos might be less likely to turn a blind eye (for suitable compensation) than the BIB.

• Like 1

Alcohol farce in force.

Lived here for over six years now and it never ceases to amaze me how much drink driving goes on here.

Between 8.30 last night and 1 am this morning there were three motorcycle accidents within 200 metres of our house.

First one was a guy who just didn't slow down for a hairpin bend. Luckily his impact was cushioned by the drainage ditch he landed in. Got straight back on his now bent wave and rode home.

Second one was a guy pulling what started as a fantastic wheelie away from the shop/bar. Shame he pulled it all the way over onto himself and his girlfriend. Gravelrash and a huge argument!

Third was two boy races at 1 o'clock this morning. Didn't see what happened but heard the bikes sliding up the road. Shorts and t-shirts but they got back on and ride off. Lovely long skid marks in the road this morning so they were going fast.

Not one of those accidents will appear in any statistics for sure.

You can go to any village in Thailand, except maybe in the southernmost areas, and there will likely be rice moonshine for sale; 40% alcohol - for a pittance. It's so easy to get drunk in this country, it's shameful. I've seen men and women walking on jelly legs at 10 in the morning. How can there be a crackdown on alcohol when nearly all politicians and police/army brass are whiskey guzzlers, and the top 'drug fighter' in the country (Chalerm) also sucks whiskey every day and night. Amazing Thailand, indeed.

I'd bet the actual number of casualties/deaths is way higher. I seem to remember reading a study by the UN which stated Thailand (and many other SE Asia countries, China in particular) under reported these stats to look better. Plus, if they don't die immediately, but die at a significantly later time in the hospital, they don't log it as a traffic fatality. Go figure.

• Like 1

What has the disease control got to do with it?

Alcoholism is a disease which leads to breakdowns of relationships and anti-social behavior, such as drink-driving.

Another reason may be that medicos might be less likely to turn a blind eye (for suitable compensation) than the BIB.

I was thinking ebola and hazmat suits.

DUIs in The U.S. are FELONY PERIOD. I presume its the same in the U.K., Canada, Australia as well and more often than not requires the retainer of an Attorney which are not cheap, which can argue the finer points of how breathalizer the test were given by a policeman at the scene & a host of other legal finer points used in the defense of his or her client.

DUIs are not always clear cut and dry..but no way in hell are any of the judges bribed, policemen also...those in themselves are felonies as well.

coffee1.gif

Edited by Scott
formatting
  • Like 1

The directive that passengers in a vehicle can't drink alcohol (by a PM's office directive) is typical of the BS here. My wife was denied having land changed into her name because she had a farang surname (compulsory change at the time) because some minister, no longer in office, had issued a directive.

Let us be clear. Laws are made by a vote of a majority of MPs, and then have to wait for senate and royal endorsement - not on the whim of some unelected power seeker.

DUIs in The U.S. are FELONY PERIOD. I presume its the same in the U.K., Canada, Australia as well and more often than not requires

the retainer of an Attorney which are not cheap, which can argue the finer points of how breathalizerthe test were given by a policeman at the scene

& a host of other legal finer points used in the defense of his or her client.

DUIs are not always clear cut and dry..but no way in hell are any of the judges bribed, policemen also...those in themselves are felonies as weil

coffee1.gif

UNTRUE

"

Misdemeanor vs. Felony

Driving while intoxicated, or under the influence of alcohol, can carry serious criminal charges. For the majority of drunk drivers, only a misdemeanor conviction is applied. For those drivers whose conduct results in an accident with another vehicle, property, or pedestrian, the offense is labeled a felony instead of a misdemeanor.

http://www.duifoundation.org/legalguide/finespenalties/misdemeanorvsfelony/