Thai Govt Denies Pulling Controversial T V Show: Censorship

webfact

CENSORSHIP

Govt denies pulling controversial TV show

The Nation

30197322-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Government figures yesterday denied any political intervention in the abrupt termination of a controversial soap opera on Channel 3, which was unexpectedly replaced last night with a new drama series.

Channel 3 announced in an onscreen message last night that "Nua Mek 2" (Above the Clouds 2) had been replaced earlier than scheduled because of "inappropriate" content. The issue quickly became a hot topic in the social media. The storyline of "Nua Mek 2" features corrupt politicians as villains. Rumours, especially on social media, have it the soap opera was cut short at the orders of "people in power" who were "stung" by its content.

Suranand Vejjajiva, the prime minister's secretary-general, yesterday insisted that the government had never interfered with any TV drama or news report. "The prime minister has nothing to do with" the abrupt end of the drama, he said in a phone interview with The Nation.

PM's Office Minister Varathep Ratanakorn, who oversees Channel 3's concession, said earlier that he could confirm there had been no such order from the government. He said he would order the Mass Communications Organisation of Thailand, which granted the concession to Channel 3, to look into the matter.

The original schedule for "Nua Mek 2" called for 12 episodes. Episode Nine aired last Sunday. A 10th episode that was to have been aired last night had reportedly been edited to incorporate elements of what would have episodes 11 and 12, with the 10th instalment set to be the last. But this 10th episode was not aired, leaving the show's story unfinished. The new show, "Raeng Prathana" (Passion) took over the 8.30pm slot.

Actress-turned-producer Sinjai Plengpanich earlier posted on Twitter: "My support goes to Nua Mek 2 production team. It's sure that Nua Mek 2 will end this Friday (Jan 4). If Nua Mek 2 ends last night, it will be Channel 3's shortest soap opera, with only 10 episodes broadcast.

Users of social media reported following a Facebook page belonging to a person close to a member of the production team, who posted: "My friend just edited it, from three episodes to only one. Damn!"

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-01-05

• Like 2

Maybe the content of these final episodes was getting a bit too close to the truth for the government to handle, it might have installed an element in the minds of the viewing public of what the corrupt people in high places could be up to..

Of course the final word to delete all the dodgy stuff & incorporate 3 episodes into one came from the production director & not from the corridors of governmental interference.

I wonder if future postings on said facebook page from a friend of a friend might share a bit more info ..

I love Thailand !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The standard Thai soap opera where women are screaming harpies, and men are shooting each other right and left is fine, but show corrupt officials and the show is canceled at governmental orders. My girlfriend just told me many Thai people are really pissed off at the cancellation. ......cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

In view of the recent UFO-sighting, perhaps a non-controversial programme about life on another planet might be broadcast, a place where all the inhabitants are rich and all the politicians are under-60 and incorruptible ?

Time might run backwards, so that middle-aged ladies of the plumper variety, go to the beauty-salon to remove their frightening hair-do's and grow slimmer & more-charming, husbands abandon mia-nois to return home to spend less time with drinking-buddies, farang-characters get thinner & younger & richer over time, policemen stop motorbike-riders to hand them 200B each, prices in the market fall daily, and so on.

I'd watch that one, myself ! laugh.png

• Like 1

According to the "other newspaper" the show revolved around the actions of a prime minister, who is "already dead and possessed by an evil necromancer" [who supposedly directs him from afar]. The other protagonist was a corrupt-to-the-bone deputy prime minister. And the show reportedly also featured a "special investigation unit called TSI".

Perhaps the storyline hit a little too close to home and the producers forgot to include the disclaimer "All individuals and institutions depicted in this show are fictional. Any similarities with real-life persons, whether alive or dead, or institutions are purely coincidential and unintentional."

• Like 1

According to the "other newspaper" the show revolved around the actions of a prime minister, who is "already dead and possessed by an evil necromancer" [who supposedly directs him from afar]. The other protagonist was a corrupt-to-the-bone deputy prime minister. And the show reportedly also featured a "special investigation unit called TSI".

Perhaps the storyline hit a little too close to home and the producers forgot to include the disclaimer "All individuals and institutions depicted in this show are fictional. Any similarities with real-life persons, whether alive or dead, or institutions are purely coincidential and unintentional."

"... whether alive, dead or overseas ..."

• Like 1

My wife told me about this yesterday. They've replaced the (very popular) soap about evil and corrupt politicians with a 'narak' soft and cuddly love story. She can't believe that the govt could be so insecure as to pull this off the air.

In my eyes it's an admittance of guilt, they're saying "This is us, this is who we are!"

My wife told me about this yesterday. They've replaced the (very popular) soap about evil and corrupt politicians with a 'narak' soft and cuddly love story. She can't believe that the govt could be so insecure as to pull this off the air.

In my eyes it's an admittance of guilt, they're saying "This is us, this is who we are!"

The truth hurts.

Moliere was years ahead of his time

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

Any truth is too close to the bone for the vast majority of Thais.

Their vanity cannot handle anything other than the self-aggrandising mythos they have been spoon fed since entering Thailand's woefully sub-standard Third World education system.

Exactemundo.

I am sure there was no "official" demand to stop the series. However, I am sure that the people who ran the show were notified in no uncertain words that it must stop or else....

This is a double edged sword really.

If the people in power do nothing, the populace will see their gloriously corrupt (and democratically elected) government criticized.

If the people in power do stop the show, it will show the populace that their gloriously corrupt (and democratically elected) government dislikes and fears the message sent by said show.

It is irrelevant if the show is any good. Most soapie actors are crap here anyway.

The only characteristics required are being super white. Dark skinned people are always portrayed as either dumb fools or sneaky villains.

These shows are supposed to be a diversion from real life. Not a critique of it.

Actually I think the reason was because they were showing the public how much money is involved.

Most of the public think of graft as nothing more than tea money.

This show probably blew there socks off.

Did the Nation ask any questions / do any investigative journalism to try to discover who pushed the TV channel / producers to make changes?

If the Nation had done so, and mentioned specifically what they discovered etc., the story would have some real clout. Typical Nation poor joutnalism .

Maybe the programme was s**t and they just pulled it to save their ratings and advertising revenue.

With Thai soaps having similar storylines, quality scripts and acting AND popularity, I doubt that to be the reason wink.png

Edited by rubl

Maybe the programme was s**t and they just pulled it to save their ratings and advertising revenue.

I have a lot of Thai friends here in NZ, I can confirm that it is very popular with them. I would assume that they are a fair sample of other Thais in Thailand as well. They like the way that creativity has been used to tell a near-truth view of what the Political situation in Thailand is at the moment. They all believe that the early termination of the show is due to Political pressure by the Poo Yais. Poo Poo to them. Poo Yais normally always act with self sustaining interests at hand.

My girlfriend sat with me over lunch today, introducing me to each fictional character, and matching them up with their factual doppelganger. It is the fact that this is too close to the truth, that has caused such a stir by the Poo Yais. As we know, Thais do not take offense without response. And Thailand is known as a major censor to press freedom and programming censorship.

The PM may not be directly responsible, probably because she met the minister of "TV watching" in a hotel room somewhere on the back streets of Krung Thep, and after close consultation, she persuaded him under duress that he should be the one to make the call. The statement that the PM had nothing to do with it is simpl ensuring that someone else bites the bullet if a culprit is implicated in the bullying.

Did the Nation ask any questions / do any investigative journalism to try to discover who pushed the TV channel / producers to make changes?

If the Nation had done so, and mentioned specifically what they discovered etc., the story would have some real clout. Typical Nation poor joutnalism .

The Nation is muted by the PTP/TRT. I would at a guess insist that the fact further questions were not published and probably not asked were intentional. Someone wants this show to die a quick death. It is the Thai equivalent of Wikileaks.

• Like 1

To be fair to the government, the truth about anything that isn't a pretty picture seems to hurt right across Thai society. The governments just in a better position to try and brush it under the carpet than most.

Abuse of power? Perhaps..

But it's the same way the rest of the country accepts and operates on a day to day basis, so why shouldn't they.

Edited by frankold