Koh Chang Best Beach? Good Resort?

Penangfreak

I have not been to/on Koh Chang for years, but have heard that the beaches & sea have deteriorated a lot. Reefs dying and fish scarce.

I need an up to date recommendation for a nice resort on a clean beach with clear waters. Similar to Lamai Beach Samui etc.

I am aware that seasons have a big impact on sea-currents and trash being washed up. This trip should take place next month....

Would anybody have some feedback or possibly alternative? I'd like to make sure my friends have a good vacation in a nice tropical

setting.

Thank you very much!wai2.gif

PF.

Edited by Penangfreak

I haven't been to Koh Chang recently but I know several people who work there as diving instructors and they tell me the water, reefs and fish are pretty much the same as they have always been. Although it's not as well regulated as it could be, the waters around Koh Chang are a marine national park. Wherever you go you'll always find people who say "Ah, it's not like it used to be in the old days". Take that with a pinch of salt.

My wife and I recently stayed at 15 Palms - a smallish resort on the northeast corner. Nice accommodations, great food and service, and spectacular sunsets. Water was clean and fine when we were there. Did not go diving, so can't speak to the reefs, etc.

The other half and I went to Koh Chang White Sands Beach, we stayed here: http://www.alinaresort.com/english/roomtype.php, on the beach side. There is a very nice restaurant at the end, right on the beach, I think it is called Thor's, http://www.holidaycheck.com/things_to_do-travel-information+Thor-zid_9658.html and you get a voucher for the breakfast, all the food we had there was good as well . The beach there was pretty clean but we did not go snorkelling or diving.