Help: Time To Buy A New Laptop

vagabond48

I'm running 64bit Win7 on a 5 year-old motherboard and processor (was quite high-spec at the time). It works fine as do all my programmes (32bit and 64bit). As long as your hardware isn't out of the ark then there should be few issues with 64bit Windows. If you have any doubts MS have a tool you can run on 32bit Windows to see if your stuff is 64bit compatible.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions. Reading this thread has stimulated my research genes. For an educational exercise, I want to the Dell site to see what they were offering. I configured a Lattitude (my current 5 year old model) just to see how much they wanted.

Btw, keep the suggestions and comments coming. :)

Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions. Reading this thread has stimulated my research genes. For an educational exercise, I want to the Dell site to see what they were offering. I configured a Lattitude (my current 5 year old model) just to see how much they wanted.

Btw, keep the suggestions and comments coming. smile.png

I've always thought Dell and Sony were overpriced... Asus, Lenovo, Acer are best bang for the buck, but I suppose it depends on your budget. I believe Dell and Sony have some upgrade screen options that may be worth looking at - again, depending on budget.

I would look at user reviews online for the models you're considering - bearing in mind there will always be someone with complaints about every model, but you can get a general idea of some of their strengths and possibly issues.

I've always thought Dell and Sony were overpriced... Asus, Lenovo, Acer are best bang for the buck, but I suppose it depends on your budget. I believe Dell and Sony have some upgrade screen options that may be worth looking at - again, depending on budget.

I would look at user reviews online for the models you're considering - bearing in mind there will always be someone with complaints about every model, but you can get a general idea of some of their strengths and possibly issues.

AS I wrote, I was just checking what components were being offered and at what price. I have not intention of buying a Dell or a Sony. I have strongly considered Asus, followed by Acer. I am a pretty frugal guy and I thought the Dell Lattitude I bought over 5 years ago was a good value compared to what was available at the time. Perhaps that is no longer the case besides I don't think even if they had a great online deal that they would ship it to Thailand at no cost as they would back in the states. Thank for the PM link.
  • Like 1

Off topic I know, but after you get your new computer, It would be fun to make that existing Dell dual boot into Linux. Linux is "lighter" and would run fast on your existing hardware and you could see how you like it and also learn it which isn't hard. You could also simply run Linux from an optical disk without installing it. Just be sure the bios is set to first boot from that physical drive. If no bootable disk is present it will go into Windows. With the dual boot option, you can always choose your existing Windows or Linux. With the dual boot, I have found it easier to find and install drivers as needed.

Whatever you do, have fun!!

Btw, when I bought the Dell XP Pro, 1G was the minimum standard for memory so I got that. Even though I plan to get 4G now, I wanted to know what is the equivalent minimum memory for W7 as compare to XP?

//--SNIP--//

Depends what you're doing on your computer.

I think 4GB on a single stick should be the starting point in 2013. You could add another 4GB stick for 8GB total if you *needed* it at a later date. However; that's unlikely if you're only running office and web browser.

For example, my Windows x64 is using 2.26GB system RAM with the following open; Firefox (80tabs), 1.3GB avi in mediaplayer, Photoshop v7.0 with 10 images open, quite a few background processes such as Logitech mouse utility and google drive.

Just checked and Windows idles using about 1.5GB after being fully installed, updated and set-up with essential tray apps.

Basically you only really need large amounts like 8/16/32GB RAM if you are working with lots of big files that benefit from being manipulated in system memory such as HD movie editing, Databases, Games, etc.

That said; many of the better laptops will come with 8GB anyway and RAM is cheap at the moment.

Edited by RandomSand

Noticed the other day Ram comes in 4GB single stick for under 700 baht, also had 8 GB as a single stick 1,500 baht........ so gone are the days where 1 GB was sort of max and over 1,000 baht each...

As for laptops, myself would never buy anything HP again..... My Sony worked well for 10 years never had a single problem with it, present most up to date in a 5 year old Acer, cost at the time 38,000 baht so near the top model in its day..........NO will not get another Acer, there has been a lot of problems with it.......

For me the next one will be a Dell or a Asus.

AS I wrote, I was just checking what components were being offered and at what price. I have not intention of buying a Dell or a Sony. I have strongly considered Asus, followed by Acer. I am a pretty frugal guy and I thought the Dell Lattitude I bought over 5 years ago was a good value compared to what was available at the time. Perhaps that is no longer the case besides I don't think even if they had a great online deal that they would ship it to Thailand at no cost as they would back in the states. Thank for the PM link.

I recently purchased an Asus with an I3 processor (but only 4mg) for the GF and decided to put on Win 7 64bit. I have been using a very expensive (but now 4 years old) Vaio and would happily swop it for the Asus. Build quality and general feel seem good but it has only been about 6 months.

I also did not want to pay over the odds and at just over 22k baht including genuine Win 7 discs I felt it was fairly "frugal" smile.png

However I would also suggest carefully check the keyboards of the machines you look at as if you have been used to one for a while a new keyboard can take a while to get used to - unless you normally use an external one anyway.

A couple of people I know have recently bought Sony laptops. 14" screen, 1.9kg, I7 processor and the model is SVT14117CHS at 34,900 Baht. For an extra 2200 Baht upgraded to 12GB ram from 4GB. Only problem seen so far is it comes with Windows 8 which takes a bit of getting used to. Sony used to be expensive, but appears to be pretty competitive now.

Both of these were bought at the Sony shop in Central Rama 9.

Cheers

A couple of people I know have recently bought Sony laptops. 14" screen, 1.9kg, I7 processor and the model is SVT14117CHS at 34,900 Baht. For an extra 2200 Baht upgraded to 12GB ram from 4GB. Only problem seen so far is it comes with Windows 8 which takes a bit of getting used to. Sony used to be expensive, but appears to be pretty competitive now.

Cheers

Any idea what would the equivalent spec cost on an Asus or other similar brand? I only ask as 34,900 seems a lot unless there are some other compelling features? Although I have a Vaio Z for business and have been extremely happy with it I would never have paid the cost if it had come out of my pocket.

O

Cheers

Any idea what would the equivalent spec cost on an Asus or other similar brand? I only ask as 34,900 seems a lot unless there are some other compelling features? Although I have a Vaio Z for business and have been extremely happy with it I would never have paid the cost if it had come out of my pocket.

Off the top o' me head, 25-27K. But that Vaio is quite light.

I wouldn't pay the premium. Laptops are such toys.

O

Cheers

Off the top o' me head, 25-27K. But that Vaio is quite light.

I wouldn't pay the premium. Laptops are such toys.

That is the main reason I got it - and it was a hell of a lot more than 35k baht 4 years ago whistling.gif

My point was that I would not personally pay 35k for a Vaio if I could get the same spec and a good quality product for 8-10k less which is where I think the OP was coming from - sorry Vagabond48 if I am taking your name in vain.

"I use the computer primarily to browser the internet. I use FF and usually have 5 to 10 open tabs as well as 4 to 8 apps running.

I am not a patient man so I want very fast (not lightning) processing power.

I listen to quality music so I want great audio digital interpretation by the PC.

I watch movies that I download. I may want to connect the laptop to a future LCD TV as well.

Of course, I do the normal computing stuff."

Hmmmm. You're describing exactly what an Apple Mac computer does best--without all the virus/malware stuff that eventually slows down most PC's.

After using PC's since 1982, I finally bit the bullet (price) and sprang for a MacBookPro three months ago. Best decision of my computing life. I can have 6 or7 applications running, tons of windows open, cinematic-quality music playing on external speakers, and not detect a millisecond of pause in the operation of my laptop. With two monitors and a full-sized wireless keyboard, it more than adequately doubles as my desktop PC when I'm in my home office.

The learning curve for learning a new operating system is pretty fast, as Apple provides a myriad of transition tools from the PC environment (clever marketing, of course). I must admit that the every thing new I've had to learn turns out to be more user-friendly than the PC environment (use of mouse, trackpad, keyboard shortcuts, the way the software responds, etc.). Whatever you plug into it (external hard drive, monitor, almost any USB device) it "just works." No setup hassle.

Apple has just thought out everything so much better from the user's standpoint. For the first time in 31 years of computing, I feel like I am controlling my computing environment, not the other way around.

An absolute dream.

[This advertisement in no way sponsored by Apple Corporation nor its subsidiaries.] smile.png

hmmm what you say is correct...worked in an Apple store between jobs once and even back then far superior to anything in the PC line especially for multimedia apps.

The reason is that the macs OS and applications are integral or so my on line training course 101 taught me smile.png

Any problems converting/moving over PC files? Used to sell a cumbersome emulator for PC apps is that still necessary...?

There is much good debate here about the capabilities of different systems. But can someone just tell me where there is a reliable PC technician/shop? I am not only asking about a tech who knows PC's but also has a good grasp of English so problems can be fully explained and discussed.

Thanks in advance for any help....

Bill

"I use the computer primarily to browser the internet. I use FF and usually have 5 to 10 open tabs as well as 4 to 8 apps running.

I am not a patient man so I want very fast (not lightning) processing power.

I listen to quality music so I want great audio digital interpretation by the PC.

I watch movies that I download. I may want to connect the laptop to a future LCD TV as well.

Of course, I do the normal computing stuff."

Hmmmm. You're describing exactly what an Apple Mac computer does best--without all the virus/malware stuff that eventually slows down most PC's.

After using PC's since 1982, I finally bit the bullet (price) and sprang for a MacBookPro three months ago. Best decision of my computing life. I can have 6 or7 applications running, tons of windows open, cinematic-quality music playing on external speakers, and not detect a millisecond of pause in the operation of my laptop. With two monitors and a full-sized wireless keyboard, it more than adequately doubles as my desktop PC when I'm in my home office.

The learning curve for learning a new operating system is pretty fast, as Apple provides a myriad of transition tools from the PC environment (clever marketing, of course). I must admit that the every thing new I've had to learn turns out to be more user-friendly than the PC environment (use of mouse, trackpad, keyboard shortcuts, the way the software responds, etc.). Whatever you plug into it (external hard drive, monitor, almost any USB device) it "just works." No setup hassle.

Apple has just thought out everything so much better from the user's standpoint. For the first time in 31 years of computing, I feel like I am controlling my computing environment, not the other way around.

An absolute dream.

[This advertisement in no way sponsored by Apple Corporation nor its subsidiaries.] smile.png

hmmm what you say is correct...worked in an Apple store between jobs once and even back then far superior to anything in the PC line especially for multimedia apps.

The reason is that the macs OS and applications are integral or so my on line training course 101 taught me smile.png

Any problems converting/moving over PC files? Used to sell a cumbersome emulator for PC apps is that still necessary...?

You trying to get tarred and feathered on this thread? (Read earlier posts). Still pulling feathers outta my arse. w00t.gif