Living In Thailand

Madlaplaine

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all depends on your lifestyle.... you can live anywhere in thailand depending on lifestyle. I live in chon buri on 12000 baht a week which gives me a good lifestyle , and have other money put away for holidays back home

If you already have a thai wife and three children the eldest being 12 and have land here I would presume you have been in a long term relationship and had ties to Thailand for a while ,surely you must no the answers to the questions already unless you have been living with your head in the sand for the last century ,does your wife think it's enough it's up to her what lifestyle she wants or is looking for.

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

Should be able to manage on 50,000B a month plus other income from your farming.

The largest monthly cost would be the three children of school age.

I have one 14 year old and it costs 100B a day for the school bus and lunch with drink.

If you do the same that is 6,000B per month. Then there are uniforms and extras to pay for. School uniforms not cheap here.

So yes you could manage, but running two cars and costs for schools I would say you will not be able to save much per month.

As mentioned in previous post, depends what you call a good life.

I like my internet, satellite TV and have a 2,500+ electric bill plus one pick-up. Could just about manage on the money you are talking about but would have nothing spare for emergencies. Such as last week 2 new tyres 12,000B. This is the type of thing that that many don't consider when doing their financial calculations.

Having kids makes it a different ballgame. We live out in the boonies but have no kids. I give my wife 30,000 baht a month and she pays for everything including my cigarettes and our clothes. We have no payments for rent or vehicles. We don't scrimp on anything and have a comfortable but not extravagant lifestyle. I have a retirement visa.

Re farming, you can ask on the farming forum

1 rai of cassava will not contribute any significant amount.

1500 rubber trees, I have no idea, but maybe Jamescollister will be able to give you an idea.

Education for your children has already been mentioned.

What happens to your pension when you die?

There is a fairly high probability that you will be dead before your youngest becomes an adult. Will your family be left with no income when you pop your clogs?

There's such a lot to think about and I wouldn't like to offer any advice, just food for thought.

I understand about all that's been saying, but I asked this question because before I was working in Europe and send money to my familly in Thailand it's only now that will be going to live there, have already money for the kids school in bank, my pension will only for our monthly spending.

I understand about all that's been saying, but I asked this question because before I was working in Europe and send money to my familly in Thailand it's only now that will be going to live there, have already money for the kids school in bank, my pension will only for our monthly spending.

You will be fine

• Like 1

56,500 baht (current exchange rate for 1,400 euro) should be fine for monthly expenditure especially if you have already planned for your kids education.

One thing you will have to think about is medical insurance for yourself and family. I understand that after 60, it is another ball-game................wink.png

"Have you put aside money to pay for contingencies such as;...

2) University education for 3 kids."

He said he has done that. A good university is not as expensive as many people believe.

KKU

Business = 8000 baht per term for tuition.

Science = 10000 baht per term.

"Sorry, but I think 1400 Euro is inadequate."

Since that is the amount he'll be getting, any suggestions on where he should take his family to live?

"...know that as a single male with my lifestyle and an inability to part with basics such as toilet paper that doesn't rip up my bum, I, as an individual, need at least 1500 euro a month..."

I think you've hit on the answer to that age old question;

"Why is the financial requirement for extensions for retirement higher than the extensions for marriage?

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, we also have 1500 rubber trees and I rai of casava and thinking of growing mushrooms is it a good idea?

Mushrooms is hard.

First year you get great crops, after that you get pest problems that move into the buildings forever.

There must be a way to overcome this, but I haven't found it.

Temporary buildings that you burn to the ground at every infestation might do the trick.

• Like 1

If your wife is a cheap charlie (like mine) and stay off the drink your ok. If not, your in trouble.

Yet has no problem spending 1000 B a head on stupid Japanese and korean buffets/BBQs. rolleyes.gif

" We need food you don't need beer" rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like my beer, but have a lot more baht to piss away than he will.

If your wife is a cheap charlie (like mine) and stay off the drink your ok. If not, your in trouble.

Yet has no problem spending 1000 B a head on stupid Japanese and korean buffets/BBQs. rolleyes.gif

" We need food you don't need beer" rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Don't get me wrong, I like my beer, but have a lot more baht to piss away than he will.

We both like our beer, thumbsup.gif just my wife's logic.

• Like 1