I Go 7, Ok, Honey?

LarryBird

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my pet peeves is Westerners who talk to other Westerners in pigeon English.

One of my pet peeves is Westerners writing pigeon English instead of pidgin English. rolleyes.gif

(A pigeon is a bird. An annoying one for sure, but it doesn't speak any kind of English.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin

Pigeon English: an extraordinary and grotesque dialect, employed in the commercial cities of China, as the medium of communication between foreign merchants and the Chinese. Its base is English, with a mixture of Portuguese and Hindustani. http://www.thefreedi.../Pigeon English

one must question the quality of a dictionary that makes such a glaring spelling error

Edited by tinfoilhat
  • Like 1

One of my pet peeves is Westerners who talk to other Westerners in pigeon English.

i loathe anyone who uses pidgin period.

It is undignified, unnecessary and insulting

Sir, are you aware that a variant Bislama is spoken on Vanuatu? I was number 1 big fellow when I was in Port Vila. (Best croissants I have ever eaten were at the former Radisson where the NZ airforce crews used to be billeted.) I should think that these language skills would serve some of the mining and energy chaps well should they get a plum assignment on Papua New Guinea or that delightful nation of Nigeria. Pidgin english speakers are peeples too dunna yu no.

One of my pet peeves is Westerners writing pigeon English instead of pidgin English. rolleyes.gif

(A pigeon is a bird. An annoying one for sure, but it doesn't speak any kind of English.)

Pigeon English: an extraordinary and grotesque dialect, employed in the commercial cities of China, as the medium of communication between foreign merchants and the Chinese. Its base is English, with a mixture of Portuguese and Hindustani. http://www.thefreedi.../Pigeon English

That's not correct. That site claims the info comes from Merriam-Webster, but actually that site/dictionary correctly includes it as pidgin English. ( http://www.merriam-w.../pigeon english )

Anyway I know it's an often made mistake; that's why it's a pet-preeve, so bare with me. ( tongue.png )

take off all our clothes with you?

(shouting - because apparently that makes it even easier to understand a foreign language):

'don't worry mutt. Here not have many seven, so ....'

My wife's been here almost twenty years, speaks english like an Aussie and yet still has people she has known for most of those years shout at her in baby talk. She finds it annoying and so do I.

What I find more annoying is that, when behind the counter of my restaurant, they somtimes speak to me like that as well! I've even had phone order customers spell out the names of dishes on the menu then ask me if I understand.

I once had a lovely girlfriend who spoke great English and she too became really annoyed at pidgin English but it's become a habit for many and they don't realise they are doing it

• Like 1

I once had a lovely girlfriend who spoke great English and she too became really annoyed at pidgin English but it's become a habit for many and they don't realise they are doing it

They don't realise because that's how many farangs speak to them and they think it's normal.

• Like 2

Whats even more tiresome and nauseating than pidgin English is all the farangs you hear doing this krap-pom thing..

krappom krappom..krappom....to every somchai and his soi dog. just in same way as they do go about wildly flapping about wai-ing at everyone who even walk past

A simple krap will do the job. All this other business is simply kow-towing and ars3kissing !!

• Like 2

Whats even more tiresome and nauseating than pidgin English is all the farangs you hear doing this krap-pom thing..

krappom krappom..krappom....to every somchai and his soi dog. just in same way as they do go about wildly flapping about wai-ing at everyone who even walk past

A simple krap will do the job. All this other business is simply kow-towing and ars3kissing !!

+1 thumbsup.gif

Often a crap does the job. wink.png

Edited by uptheos

I cant stand farangs speaking to me in broken Thai, for example: Jing jing

" Lue "

Anyway it's an interesting topic.. I know I adjust the way I speak when speaking to Thais who aren't fluent English speakers, but I also don't think it goes down to really awkward Tinglish level. Just shorter sentences and I may drop a past tense, especially for irregular verbs ('went' , 'brought', 'thought', etc.).

So yes, that's Tinglish when you say 'I already buy condoms', but it is clear that a past tense is meant through adding (the much over-used) 'already' and it avoids an irregular past tense.

You might as well argue that the issue is with the English language, which is incredibly inconsistent.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

or ironic

I cant stand farangs speaking to me in broken Thai, for example: Jing jing

" Lue "

Anyway it's an interesting topic.. I know I adjust the way I speak when speaking to Thais who aren't fluent English speakers, but I also don't think it goes down to really awkward Tinglish level. Just shorter sentences and I may drop a past tense, especially for irregular verbs ('went' , 'brought', 'thought', etc.).

So yes, that's Tinglish when you say 'I already buy condoms', but it is clear that a past tense is meant through adding (the much over-used) 'already' and it avoids an irregular past tense.

You might as well argue that the issue is with the English language, which is incredibly inconsistent.

i already have condoms, but really, when it gets to that point i just switch to thai.

funny thing is, thais are usually willing to use circumlocution to get their point across in the even they are not understood, i have never been hit upside the head with pidgin thai.

we all make concessions to effective communication daily, however there is no need to be patronizing, or worse, further entrench bad habits.

Edited by tinfoilhat

If I'm speaking with a Thai who is obviously fluent in English, I will of course not use pidgin. However, I don't have the time/inclination to 'teach' those who aren't (fluent) and will revert to pidgin if I see confusion in their eyes after my first addressing them in English English. I then see 'relief' replace 'confusion'.

PS Pet peeve? Bloody farang waiing me wai2.gif

• Like 1

That's not correct. That site claims the info comes from Merriam-Webster, but actually that site/dictionary correctly includes it as pidgin English. ( http://www.merriam-w.../pigeon english )

Anyway I know it's an often made mistake; that's why it's a pet-preeve, so bare with me. ( tongue.png )

I would but I want to keep my clothes on. But, WTK, please feel free to undress if that's what tickles your fancy.

i already have condoms, but really, when it gets to that point i just switch to thai.

Yes, rephrasing is even better; agreed.

we all make concessions to effective communication daily, however there is no need to be patronizing, or worse, further entrench bad habits.

YES!

put up a sign in your place: "Only Customers who speak proper English will be entertained!"

Lol, I really laugh about those people speaking such a Baby English to their wifes, how could they ever learn?

My colleague, an Engineer, he's intelligent but he speaks such a baby English to his Bangladeshi wife. I always shake my head in disbelief hearing them on the telephone talking...

I agree, its like saying to your spouse; "you're too stupid to learn or understand proper English, so I'm going to speak to you like you are a moron."rolleyes.gif

(shouting - because apparently that makes it even easier to understand a foreign language):

My wife's been here almost twenty years, speaks english like an Aussie and yet still has people she has known for most of those years shout at her in baby talk. She finds it annoying and so do I.

What I find more annoying is that, when behind the counter of my restaurant, they somtimes speak to me like that as well! I've even had phone order customers spell out the names of dishes on the menu then ask me if I understand.

Actually, one of my biggest pet peeves are Asians who speak English with a British or Aussie accent.

As far as people spelling things out to you, I can totally understand that. Out of all my worldly travels, the biggest communication barriers I have faced, have been in Singapore and Australia. That British Singaporean accent is soooo difficult to understand. And alot of times in Australia, I really question if we are even speaking the same language or not.

So yeah, as some one who speaks normal/ mostly un-accented English, I wouldn't hesitate to spell out orders over the phone to someone with a heavy Aussie accent that I was having trouble understanding.

More about normal/ original English here:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/29761/when-did-americans-lose-their-british-accents

-Mestizo

Actually, one of my biggest pet peeves are Asians who speak English with a British or Aussie accent.

As far as people spelling things out to you, I can totally understand that. Out of all my worldly travels, the biggest communication barriers I have faced, have been in Singapore and Australia. That British Singaporean accent is soooo difficult to understand. And alot of times in Australia, I really question if we are even speaking the same language or not.

So yeah, as some one who speaks normal/ mostly un-accented English, I wouldn't hesitate to spell out orders over the phone to someone with a heavy Aussie accent that I was having trouble understanding.

More about normal/ original English here:

http://www.mentalflo...british-accents

-Mestizo

There's no such thing as a British accent. If you can't work out how that could be, look at a map of Britain.

The only time that there can be such a thing as 'no accent' is when nothing is being said at all.

Edited by Trembly
  • Like 1

As I mentioned before, I was on the ferry over to Koh Samet and was sitting beside 3 white fellows who were constantly talking. I could hardly understand a word they were saying and I was trying to figure out what nationality they were. It wasn't until just before docking that they told me they were from London, England. That is where my Canadian sister lives and even she's picked up a British accent.

put up a sign in your place: "Only Customers who speak proper English will be entertained!"

Lol, I really laugh about those people speaking such a Baby English to their wifes, how could they ever learn?

My colleague, an Engineer, he's intelligent but he speaks such a baby English to his Bangladeshi wife. I always shake my head in disbelief hearing them on the telephone talking...

I agree, its like saying to your spouse; "you're too stupid to learn or understand proper English, so I'm going to speak to you like you are a moron."rolleyes.gif

Probably that's the fact and that's why he speaks like that.

Most Thais can hardly speak any English, and pidgeon is the best level they'd ever understand.

Probably that's the fact and that's why he speaks like that.

Most Thais can hardly speak any English, and pidgeon is the best level they'd ever understand.

How are they ever going to improve if we ourselves talk like numpties

They don't realise because that's how many farangs speak to them and they think it's normal.

That's qite true and very funy listening to it.