2013 All Food Related.restaurants,recipes, Suggestions Etc...

Angela's Diner.... Ring Road, Corner of Soi 2 Maenam, near the Police station. 7 -11 on corner ........ New red sign (no longer yellow!!!!)

Good food for breakfast and lunch. from 7.30 am to about 4 pm.

Along with the restaurant she also makes great pies and bread and cakes to order... (best to order in advance so as to know which days she's making different items... ) If required they will text a message when things are available! .... Bread is usually made Friday or Saturday.... (that could change... so best to stop by and find out! ) thumbsup.gif

I always stock up on Angela's pies when I pass by. Her shepherd's pies and cottage pies are outstanding! I had a Shepherd's pie on Thursday - still full. licklips.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angela's Diner.... Ring Road, Corner of Soi 2 Maenam, near the Police station. 7 -11 on corner ........ New red sign (no longer yellow!!!!)

Along with the restaurant she also makes great pies and bread and cakes to order... (best to order in advance so as to know which days she's making different items... ) If required they will text a message when things are available! .... Bread is usually made Friday or Saturday.... (that could change... so best to stop by and find out! ) thumbsup.gif

I always stock up on Angela's pies when I pass by. Her shepherd's pies and cottage pies are outstanding! I had a Shepherd's pie on Thursday - still full. licklips.gif

it's a good idea to let her know in advance for larger orders.... someone around here, cleaned her pies out yesterday..... not mentioning any names !!!tongue.pngbiggrin.png

Lucky for me I had a cottage pie in the freezer for last night!

As for this sub section thing, yes it would be a great idea... I had hoped they could have done it for the garden section.... but they cannot so we have to live with what we got! wink.png

My suggestion would be for everyone to list their favorite places and "new finds" here.... that is the only way to build it up again! Mention.... location, type of food etc...... And then keep the topic on track! rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

..... or poor old Rooo is going to overdose on his tablets! laugh.png

it's a good idea to let her know in advance for larger orders.... someone around here, cleaned her pies out yesterday..... not mentioning any names !!!tongue.pngbiggrin.png

As for this sub section thing, yes it would be a great idea... I had hoped they could have done it for the garden section.... but they cannot so we have to live with what we got! wink.png

My suggestion would be for everyone to list their favorite places and "new finds" here.... that is the only way to build it up again! Mention.... location, type of food etc...... And then keep the topic on track! rolleyes.gifbiggrin.png

Who cleaned up the pies? whistling.gif Quiche also outstanding, she also mentioned Sunday Roasts back on.

• Like 1

Who cleaned up the pies? whistling.gif

do you want me to name and blame!......tongue.pngbiggrin.png

The quest for the best Full Monty continues.

New Irish bar in Bangrak - Cafferty's. Small breakfast 120 baht. Big breakfast - 220 baht.

The Big Breakfast is HUGE. 2 sausage, 3 bacon (back) fresh toms, beans, mushrooms, black pudding and fried potatoes. Price includes OJ, coffee or tea and a large slice of toast. licklips.gif

Not for the faint hearted nor for those on a diet cool.png

New Irish bar in Bangrak - Cafferty's. Small breakfast 120 baht. Big breakfast - 220 baht.

The Big Breakfast is HUGE. 2 sausage, 3 bacon (back) fresh toms, beans, mushrooms, black pudding and fried potatoes. Price includes OJ, coffee or tea and a large slice of toast. licklips.gif

Has to include 2 eggs also.

Sorry I forgot to mention the two eggs. There was so much! thumbsup.gif

(Thank you for reminding me.)

Edited by Tropicalevo

Sorry I forgot to mention the two eggs. There was so much! thumbsup.gif

(Thank you for reminding me.)

That IS huge. I couldn't even make a dent in it. Guess the small breakfast is the same less 1 sausage, 2 bacon and an egg? What's the black pudding like?

Sometimes a picture says a thousand words. rolleyes.gif

You are correct Smokie - but why would I take my camera to breakfast? Visually, when the HUGE plate arrived, I was gobsmacked.

OK - next time. (Next weekend - not enough time in the week)

NMS the black pudding is good. Not quite the same as the UK - but still very tasty. (Same same but different????)

The Good.

Bangrak Cafe.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 back bacon, 2 sausages (not frankfurter), 2 slices of toast (UK style bread), beans or toms, tea or coffee and oj for 180b. For 140 you can have the same but with 1 bacon and 1 sausage.

Thai/international restaurant on the ring road around Chaweng just past the Shell garage. Cheap and good food. I'll find out the name later.

Another one I can't remember the name of was in FV towards the end. Big restaurant that does all kinds of food and the pizzas are very good. Not cheap, but good.

The Bad.

Frenchys in Bangrak.

Now, I went here twice on my last visit and really enjoyed the food and
service. This time however the experience was quite different. We chose
to go here for my birthday celebration for which my parents have come to
Thailand for a visit.

I ordered a steak medium rare and what I got was a steak that had white
meat! Now I'm not a expert on food, but aren't steaks brown in colour,
pink if medium rare? I'm not suggesting it wasn't beef, but it had no
flavour and had the appearance of pork. Very disappointing. Also, last
time I ordered a steak it came with either mash or chips, this time it
came on 1 small slice of garlic bread!!

As I said earlier this was for my birthday, so my parents brought 2
bottles of champagne from the uk to celebrate it in the restaurant. Now I
understand we must pay a corkage fee, but 1000b seemed way too much.
Pity really as I was really looking forward to going back there, now we
will never go again.

Edited by PoorSucker
restored
  • Like 1

The Good.

Bangrak Cafe.

Breakfast - 2 eggs, 2 back bacon, 2 sausages (not frankfurter), 2 slices of toast (UK style bread), beans or toms, tea or coffee and oj for 180b. For 140 you can have the same but with 1 bacon and 1 sausage.

Thai/international restaurant on the ring road around Chaweng just past the Shell garage. Cheap and good food. I'll find out the name later.

Another one I can't remember the name of was in FV towards the end. Big restaurant that does all kinds of food and the pizzas are very good. Not cheap, but good.

The Bad.

Frenchys in Bangrak.

Now, I went here twice on my last visit and really enjoyed the food and service. This time however the experience was quite different. We chose to go here for my birthday celebration for which my parents have come to Thailand for a visit.

I ordered a steak medium rare and what I got was a steak that had white meat! Now I'm not a expert on food, but aren't steaks brown in colour, pink if medium rare? I'm not suggesting it wasn't beef, but it had no flavour and had the appearance of pork. Very disappointing. Also, last time I ordered a steak it came with either mash or chips, this time it came on 1 small slice of garlic bread!!

As I said earlier this was for my birthday, so my parents brought 2 bottles of champagne from the uk to celebrate it in the restaurant. Now I understand we must pay a corkage fee, but 1000b seemed way too much. Pity really as I was really looking forward to going back there, now we will never go again.

I agree with your critique.

The first time that we ate at frenchy's - excellent.

The last time - disaster.. First to arrive - two steaks no fries or bread or anything for that matter. 30 minutes later - the burger and fries came. My dish came some 20 minutes after everyone else had finished.

We are not going back - too many good places to pick from.

Guys so we do not have a misunderstanding. A food forum is there for advice & recommendation. We have to be very careful on what we post, a genuine critique is welcome, a malicious one isn't.

So at the end of the day, we do have the right to edit delete some posts. As long as you keep this in mind, I think we should have no problem.

• Like 2

Italian.

For Italian, I frequent 2 places:

Prego at the Amari in Chaweng, very consistent, great variety & extensive wine list.Under same management / Chef for quite a few years now.

Antico Locanda in Bang Rak , rustic setting in my opinion, menu variety has been reduced, but still serving the mouth watering dishes,Also an extensive wine list, not always offered, same owner for many years.

Justapizza in Fisherman's Village

Italian.

For Italian, I frequent 2 places:

Prego at the Amari in Chaweng, very consistent, great variety & extensive wine list.Under same management / Chef for quite a few years now.

Antico Locanda in Bang Rak , rustic setting in my opinion, menu variety has been reduced, but still serving the mouth watering dishes,Also an extensive wine list, not always offered, same owner for many years.

Justapizza in Fisherman's Village

Do you mean Juzza Pizza?

Lack of couples willing to 'go Dutch' I guess.

And my wife won't eat mutton because it's sheep.

Baaaah on her!!!! biggrin.png

A pizza I don't mind, occasionally, is at the Kiosk in Tesco food court, Chawang, sold by the slice....thumbsup.gif

I think the main shop is the Pizza shop, just as you turn into Tesco's entrance... can't think of the name off hand ..... keep meaning to check it out.... It's not that sweet pastry stuff the locals like bah.gif

german food in chaweng??any recommendations?but please not the "schnitzelhaus" in chaweng, not really that good but for the price ok.

lamai i know restaurant 99 which is ok/good and bophut "deutscher biergarten bei joachim", ok/good but quite expensive...

interesting for me would be also bophut/manaem of course...

thnks

also still looking for a good pizza place (reasonable/affordable prices..)

tried the empire guesthouse/restaurant but cannot really say, that it was good, just avererage... and 340 baht for a ham pizza..., we are still in thailand here...

thnks

also still looking for a good pizza place (reasonable/affordable prices..)

tried the empire guesthouse/restaurant but cannot really say, that it was good, just avererage... and 340 baht for a ham pizza..., we are still in thailand here...

thnks

2 farang guys are knocking out pizza from a cart within the little food area next to the Lady Boxing in Lamai. 80 - 120 Baht and I'm told they are seriously good. I went down to get one for myself a week or so ago at around 9:45 and they were packing up, out of dough.

Pizza Napoli (other side of boxing on the corner) is starting to ger a good reputation after changing hands some time back.

Best I know of in Lamai is Tropicana which has been there for longer than I can remember, fantastic pizza but you are looking at around 300 Baht.

German food.... Take the short road leading from the Outback bar toward the beach and there is a very thin food place at the end on the left hand side, perhaps 2-3 places in. Not been there in ages but good rustic German food and huge portions. Don't know the name but the menu is writen on a white board.

german food in chaweng??any recommendations?but please not the "schnitzelhaus" in chaweng, not really that good but for the price ok.

lamai i know restaurant 99 which is ok/good and bophut "deutscher biergarten bei joachim", ok/good but quite expensive...

interesting for me would be also bophut/manaem of course...

thnks

Sorry - I do not know about Chaweng - but Berlin Restaurant in Bangrak does some nice tasty stuff at a very good price. Next door to Baker's Dozen. (Beach Side)

For pizza - it depends if you like American style (Cat Can 2) or Italian style (Antica Locanda) - again - both in Bangrak.

I tried the 'new' Villa Daudet in Fisherman's Village last night. Old restarant but refurbished by the new owner and with a new chef. On the right just under the arch.

Very good food.

Four of us tried four different mains - all very tasty and large portions.

I had the 'Mouse of lamb' (huge lamb shank for us non-French speaking). Excellent. Presentation and everything very good. Well worth a visit if you like good food and are a bit fed-up of noodles and rice. (We all need a break sometimes.)

• Like 2

Any good sunday roasts reccomends on Samui , yorkshire puddings , roast potatoes , and so on, in Chaweng or Buphut area.

Also where has the Irish Times bar moved to, they used to be next to bandon hospital.

Thanks

Edited by Boyce