On The Bones Of Ones Bum In Thailand....

Chittychangchang

..hypothetically speaking ...frankly scarlet...

I think most resident farangs have enough to think about without worrying about hypothetical scenarios.

This hypothetical ( age unknown) farang sounds as though he is a waste of space, lazy and apathetic............. has not put in any hard yards to secure his/her self and future....grow up, get a job or .........coffee1.gif

No empathy here!!!!!!!!!!

I never burn bridges back home ie have a property there and always have enough money to at the very least return and live for awhile. If I got down to my last money, having only enough for a plane ticket with no work, I would be off home, once you are in that situation I can imagine it being very hard to get out of.

I have to agree. I live in the same town I grew up in, and can look down into the valley and see the grade school I attended and the high school I graduated from. I can't count how many lifetime friends I have even though I don't have family. My social security is enough to live on, and all I'd have to do is wait for my next check and get a ticket "home." I can't count on both hands the number of people I think would wire me money for a plane ticket, or take me in for a while, even then. Once back on US soil I have health insurance and other help. I just don't understand people burning all of their bridges.

As for why people might be thinking of all of this, I'm not sure what happens to the US dollar with all of this money "printing," or what the baht exchange rate might be in ten years, or how much inflation there might be. It is always possible to need to go back to the US if things got out of whack enough. I just don't know what the future holds for the Western economies or currencies.

• Like 1

On the bones of ones arse...ummm? It sound like the hypothetical person is just sitting around. From my experience, bold acts are always the safest and commitment normally drives success. The long and short of it is that any answer is a good one; go home, find a job etc. The point is when everyone around you (especially strangers) are saying the same thing, it's rare for them all to be wrong. Just DO SOMETHING!!! Chances are it will work. Good luck!!

I'm ok, i'll fall back on my SAS training and work for the Thai/Chinese Mafia as a hitman. Top tip for any of you ex-FBI, CIA, US special forces. But remember keep it hush hush. No bragging in the bars. wink.png

Back to being serious.

The first time i came to Thailand i met a man who was living the dream in his bar. Things soon turned to a nightmare and he went home to the UK. There was Thai friends saying he is silly for going back because he is leaving his wife behind. If he stays here he could work as an English teacher and be with his wife. Lucky he did go back. About a year after being back he had serious problems with his heart (fixed for free in the UK). If he stayed in Thailand he would be dead now.

If you're from UK you can always go home.

Interesting theory but consider this. Married to Thai wife with kids, finances gone to pot due to slump in interest rates and exchange rate, can no longer meet requirement for retirement extension to visa in Thailand. Income insufficient to get visa for wife to settle in the UK. Could survive in either country, just, but visa requirements make it impossible.

Going home to UK is not quite so simple as it might seem.

But still can do it, what's wrong with them going back and working their arse off so they can get to the level required to support their family and qualify for them to join on at a later date?

Truth is faced with that most just complain about how it's all not fair and then lay the blame somewhere which then justifies their actions to do something the wrong side of the law and immoral or just chug away on another chang or go find a sucker and borrow off them then when asked to pay the money back get insulted and then dissapear....seen so many people in Pattaya in my time that should have just gone home but won't and unless you're an orphan then theres always someone back home willing to help you out.

Considering this is a hypothetical situation the obvious answer is go home or die. You only have yourself to blame. Maybe someone will take care of you and maybe they won't. It's like asking a question about what to do if you are 50 kilometers from anywhere and you get bitten by a King cobra. You don't have many options. The best plan is not to have put yourself in that situation in the first place. There ARE choices in life. Accept the consequences of making poor choices. Not everyone is SUPPOSED to survive. We already have too many idiots in this world. A few less won't be missed.

• Like 1

The story is soooo similar to the dozen or so farang found sleeping on Jomtien beach past midnight. Brits, Italians, Yanks.........a tiny U.N. Almost all say that they will not go back home...not an option...will not even discuss it. All live off food, clothes and a shower provided by struggling Thai vendors along that stretch of beach. One or two have Thai girlfriends who look after them, surprising as this sounds. If only such farang would see that their love for Thailand and self gratification are no longer part of the equation. Getting to a point where survival is not this everyday struggle is where they need to move towards - and that means leaving the wilds of Thailand for a place called home.

Even if all bridges are burned, even if the welfare is close to absent, even if health-care is minimal, even if you have no place to call home, even if you have low chances of employment, even if you have to leave behind (temporarily) a Thai wife/kids, even if the U.S. is printing money & the rest of Europe is in pain, even if your worried about what will family & friends back home say...........yes, there are charities, social structures, free re-training programs, food banks, City Missions for homeless etc. etc. to help people through.

As long as struggling people have a wish to make some hard choices for a better future. After all its better to be struggling and getting reliable help at home than to be struggling in Thailand and begging to get noticed.

The monk, English teacher and other stories are tried & tested choices previous Thailand die-hards went for when faced with economic calamity. We eventually see many people who plonked for these easy options make the news for avoidable tragedies. The reason is that in 9 out of 10 instances such hurried choices are a band-aid put on by someone who has no wish to enjoy the long term benefits which come from making hard choices.

Edited by marchawkes
  • Like 2

You carn't afford to go home, you have nothing to go home for in fact you now regard Thailand as your home.

A couple of possibilities are working in The Timeshare industry or some Bangkok boiler room.

Any other possibilities.

Meet rich girl, win the lottery, the list is endless!

You carn't afford to go home, you have nothing to go home for in fact you now regard Thailand as your home.

A couple of possibilities are working in The Timeshare industry or some Bangkok boiler room.

Any other possibilities.

The list seems limited in Thailand to busking, preaching and teaching at the moment.....

I'm sure many wish they had the foresight to invest in a bar and live the dream eternallybiggrin.png

Some points raised that we are masters of our own ship and destiny, but what if the fickle finger of fate strikes you and you are indeed on the bones of your arse with no fallback. Would that not hit you the hardest of all?wai.gif

Edited by Chittychangchang

Any other possibilities.

Invent a perpetual-motion machine, or sell my hereditary-right to collect the tolls on London Bridge, perhaps ? tongue.png

Interesting theory but consider this. Married to Thai wife with kids, finances gone to pot due to slump in interest rates and exchange rate, can no longer meet requirement for retirement extension to visa in Thailand. Income insufficient to get visa for wife to settle in the UK. Could survive in either country, just, but visa requirements make it impossible.

But still can do it, what's wrong with them going back and working their arse off so they can get to the level required to support their family and qualify for them to join on at a later date?

Truth is faced with that most just complain about how it's all not fair and then lay the blame somewhere which then justifies their actions to do something the wrong side of the law and immoral or just chug away on another chang or go find a sucker and borrow off them then when asked to pay the money back get insulted and then dissapear....seen so many people in Pattaya in my time that should have just gone home but won't and unless you're an orphan then theres always someone back home willing to help you out.

Not worked for over 10 years, no trade, working on minimum wage wouldn't even pay the rent. As you get older you become an orphan there isn't always someone there the help out, and indeed why should there be.

Any other possibilities.

The list seems limited in Thailand to busking, preaching and teaching at the moment.....

I'm sure many wish they had the foresight to invest in a bar and live the dream eternallybiggrin.png

Some points raised that we are masters of our own ship and destiny, but what if the fickle finger of fate strikes you and you are indeed on the bones of your arse with no fallback. Would that not hit you the hardest of all?wai.gif

U keep saying "with no fallback". U do have a fallback ie: make hard choices, starting with getting help in yr home country. Thailand is no place for penniless & painful farang. Our visa's are for people with a bank balance or a connect into a Thai family with a bank balance. So stop whining and man up to things. idjut Edited by SparklingCascades

Not worked for over 10 years, no trade, working on minimum wage wouldn't even pay the rent. As you get older you become an orphan there isn't always someone there the help out, and indeed why should there be.

are you talking about yourself here? If so......

It's your own fault you have no trade and the only option is minimum wage and not worked for over 10 years??? so how have you even got on the plane and arrived in Thailand let alone sown your seed there?

Your comment is like the person you describe in your post...weak and pathetic, but it seems not so weak and pathetic to go round shagging unprotected with no thought or regard for the consequences...I mean what is there in Thailand for a person that matches the description in your post?

' course it is. Get on a plane and go. Get a job, rebuild your finances and come back if you like

Of course, it's easy to say in theory and after the fact but the best remedy to this situation is not to get into it in the first place.

No sprogs, no wife, no major financial obligations. Remain emotionally and materially lean.

Alternatively, implement Master Yoda's teachings and "train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose"

• Like 1

An existence on the pension back in Oz when I run out of money in Asia ? No thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bag

If that seems too extreme, a bottle of Mekhong and a bathtub full of water will also work. I've paid taxes in Oz for many years, and will do so till 2014, but the taxpayer owes me nothing - when my Superannuation disappears, so do I. Happy to fill in the blanks for those who feel I may be 'all talk', but I guess we only get one chance to answer that sort of skepticism ;)

Just my two bahts worth and I accept that some may disagree, particularly those over 60 who want to see a few more birthdays. :D

An existence on the pension back in Oz when I run out of money in Asia ? No thanks.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Suicide_bag

If that seems too extreme, a bottle of Mekhong and a bathtub full of water will also work. I've paid taxes in Oz for many years, and will do so till 2014, but the taxpayer owes me nothing - when my Superannuation disappears, so do I. Happy to fill in the blanks for those who feel I may be 'all talk', but I guess we only get one chance to answer that sort of skepticism wink.png

Just my two bahts worth and I accept that some may disagree, particularly those over 60 who want to see a few more birthdays. biggrin.png

What about an living in Thailand on your Oz pension, no need for extremes.

@ posts 33/45/46 David 006/Sparkling Cascades/Norrona being a bit harsh arn't we? Let's hope you dont find yourself struck by circumstance in the future but you've learned a few possible outs just in casewink.png

Edited by Chittychangchang

What about an living in Thailand on your Oz pension, no need for extremes.

The issue of the Aged Pension being collected overseas is hotly debated here in Oz, and I agree with most taxpayers : you should be living here in Oz to receive the pension. I know our system is very different to the UK and US systems, but I'm sure you all read about the guy who has been collecting a disability pension for decades while travelling around Asia and will now go straight onto the Aged Pension : that is a special case, but in general it makes no sense for Australian taxpayers to fund a pensioners life in another country. Totally different story when you have contributed money towards your pension over the duration of your working life, but that is what I was referring to when I mentioned my 'Super' - superannuation is also a hot topic here, but no-one denies that its YOUR money to do with as you please. Works for me :)

• Like 1

I paid hard cash into my Social Security fund since I was a teenager. Some quick math will prove it was a lousy investment, but still I was always told that I would collect from that fund when I retired. When I was employed, my employer matched my payment, and when I was self employed I had to pay about double.

It isn't a gift from anyone. I paid for it, and I was required to pay for it. Now the time has come and I expect to collect no matter where I choose to live. I don't know how other countries work, but for me, it shouldn't matter where I live. I'm supposed to get paid every month for the rest of my life, as agreed some 50 years ago. I kept up my end.

• Like 2

I paid hard cash into my Social Security fund since I was a teenager. Some quick math will prove it was a lousy investment, but still I was always told that I would collect from that fund when I retired. When I was employed, my employer matched my payment, and when I was self employed I had to pay about double.

It isn't a gift from anyone. I paid for it, and I was required to pay for it. Now the time has come and I expect to collect no matter where I choose to live. I don't know how other countries work, but for me, it shouldn't matter where I live. I'm supposed to get paid every month for the rest of my life, as agreed some 50 years ago. I kept up my end.

And I'm not debating your right to do that - as I stated in my post, the Australian system is very different to the US or UK system, although I have read about British people collecting an aged pension from *both* governments : I just dont know how much of said UK 'pension' is based on contributions and how much is based on the taxpayer's 'generosity'. ALL of the 'pension plans' were supposed to be able to deliver a 'defined benefit' at one stage, but my understanding is that the GFC put a lot of those assumptions in jeopardy - here in Oz, most superannuation contributors have the bulk of their money in equities, and that has been a very rocky road over the last few years (admittedly 2012 was a better year for the markets).

In any case, the Aged Pension here is means tested, and it was never designed for anyone who had their own income stream from investments : superannuation is supposed to be that income stream. You may be eligible for the Aged Pension without ever having paid a single dollar in income tax over the preceding 65 years (extremely unlikely, but bear with me), but our Superannuation nestegg is comprised of the mandatory 9% employer contribution (12% in some industries), our own voluntary contributions and any investment returns over our working lives. Superannuation is almost always quoted as part of the salary package for a given position - unfortunately, it only became mandatory somewhere in the mid-80s, from memory, and many older Australians have no retirement nestegg. With the mining boom, several droughts etc, inflation has put most who rely on the pension as their sole source of income well below the poverty line : it's an 'existence', at best.

Its unfortunate that the term 'pension' has a different connotation in Australia - it should be termed 'welfare payment', but that would cause more problems. Whatever it is, I have no intention of claiming it, but that's just me.