How Long Till All Russians Are Rounded Up

phuketrichard

None of the suggested solutions solves the problem of the client draining the whole 5 Gb in one day with torrent downloading. With the tickets you can limit time, total download upload limit and max rate. As far as you can power a small router, notebook and occasionally a regular printer to print ticket sheets you can use the system.

You are correct on that one. However that setup would require some hardware, for example openwrt router to be setup and maintenanced. It could be an overkill when shooting an social mosquito with an technical shotgun.

Actually almost zero maintenance. Thai staff creates and prints tickets as needed in quite a lot of hotels in Thailand this way. NOT on Openwrt :)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point it will get ugly, I just hope I'm not close by!

For sure, and Russians are not intimidated easily that's for sure. Any actual violence handed out by Thais is almost certainly going to be reciprocated.

On the up side, an escalation of this conflict is going to raise the profile of the root cause (the cartels that exist for fleecing tourists through forcing them to use tuk tuks and taxis), to diplomatic levels (if it's not already there). A lack of Russian clientele would seriously hurt Phuket's hotel occupancy that's for sure, and where would the replacement tourists come from?

It woudl; nto be hard to the big Russian tour operators to just land at Pattaya instead, would be funny to see the tuks tuks then !!!!!

At some point it will get ugly, I just hope I'm not close by!

For sure, and Russians are not intimidated easily that's for sure. Any actual violence handed out by Thais is almost certainly going to be reciprocated.

On the up side, an escalation of this conflict is going to raise the profile of the root cause (the cartels that exist for fleecing tourists through forcing them to use tuk tuks and taxis), to diplomatic levels (if it's not already there). A lack of Russian clientele would seriously hurt Phuket's hotel occupancy that's for sure, and where would the replacement tourists come from?

There won't be any violence handed out by Thais unless there are odds of about 6 to 1 in their favour.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 days ago, songtaew from Nai Harn to Phuket Town, 4 Russians, 2 Italians and 2 Dutchies in the car. The Russiands start complaining about the lack of speed of the car, and start banging on the connecting window. The driver gets out, tells the Russians to get out.

And of course starts complaining about their behaviour to the others in the car.

I see them getting more and more unwelcome in more and more places, won't take long IMO till the operators take them elsewhere.

2 days ago, songtaew from Nai Harn to Phuket Town, 4 Russians, 2 Italians and 2 Dutchies in the car. The Russiands start complaining about the lack of speed of the car, and start banging on the connecting window. The driver gets out, tells the Russians to get out.

And of course starts complaining about their behaviour to the others in the car.

I see them getting more and more unwelcome in more and more places, won't take long IMO till the operators take them elsewhere.

I have noticed that more and.more Thais are saying Russians no good where as before we where all just falangs so i think the Russian will move to another beach paradise it wont matter to them where.

Edit

Apart from the condo owners

Edited by jocko

I have noticed that more and.more Thais are saying Russians no good where as before we where all just falangs so i think the Russian will move to another beach paradise it wont matter to them where.

Edit

I think the Russians will be here for the long haul, and their preference of cutting out as much as possible the Thai involvement in their transport and services will gather pace. There just isn't the same level of shops and supermarkets that the package tour Russians need in most other Thai locations. The 'high end' Russians of course will already be in 5 star resorts, where transport and food provision is minor detail.

There's something ironic about a situation where in the past so many on this forum have complained about the behaviour and business practices of Thais here in Phuket, and when a group/nationality comes along that really does start to make a significant impact to potentially force change, they are decried.

I don't condone or seek to justify bad behaviour of any kind and by any nationality. I do however wish the Russian tourists good luck and have happy holidays. There's real potential for some changes here, I just hope they'll be to the benefit of tourists and expats alike.

• Like 2

Edit

I think the Russians will be here for the long haul, and their preference of cutting out as much as possible the Thai involvement in their transport and services will gather pace. There just isn't the same level of shops and supermarkets that the package tour Russians need in most other Thai locations. The 'high end' Russians of course will already be in 5 star resorts, where transport and food provision is minor detail.

There's something ironic about a situation where in the past so many on this forum have complained about the behaviour and business practices of Thais here in Phuket, and when a group/nationality comes along that really does start to make a significant impact to potentially force change, they are decried.

I don't condone or seek to justify bad behaviour of any kind and by any nationality. I do however wish the Russian tourists good luck and have happy holidays. There's real potential for some changes here, I just hope they'll be to the benefit of tourists and expats alike.

I hope so too I was thinking more about the tour groups taken them somewhere else

Weren't a lot of Russians were going to Egypt and Libya until the revolts and overthrows of the ruling governments in those countries and so the Russians are now coming to Thailand in much greater numbers. If you don't want the Russians you have to make Egypt, Libya , Turkey etc much more attractive to them again.

My wife is Thai and we have been holidaying all over Thailand for the last 15 years - but will no longer go to Phuket simply because of the Tuk Tuk mafia and a laod of my friends feel the same. Phuket must be losing billions of baht from the refusenicks who wouldlove to visit if there was a halway fair transport system. Last time I was there was qouted 400 baht to go from Patong to Central Resort Karon - wouldnt budge on the price so I had an invigorating 20 minutes brisk walk. Bugger em and let them rot.

• Like 1

My wife is Thai and we have been holidaying all over Thailand for the last 15 years - but will no longer go to Phuket simply because of the Tuk Tuk mafia and a laod of my friends feel the same. Phuket must be losing billions of baht from the refusenicks who wouldlove to visit if there was a halway fair transport system. Last time I was there was qouted 400 baht to go from Patong to Central Resort Karon - wouldnt budge on the price so I had an invigorating 20 minutes brisk walk. Bugger em and let them rot.

That's okay, there are too many tourists here already. When I first came here I had heard about the taxis and tuk tuks. I rented a car at the airport... Much better deal, if you know how to drive here!
  • Like 1

My wife is Thai and we have been holidaying all over Thailand for the last 15 years - but will no longer go to Phuket simply because of the Tuk Tuk mafia and a laod of my friends feel the same. Phuket must be losing billions of baht from the refusenicks who wouldlove to visit if there was a halway fair transport system. Last time I was there was qouted 400 baht to go from Patong to Central Resort Karon - wouldnt budge on the price so I had an invigorating 20 minutes brisk walk. Bugger em and let them rot.That's okay, there are too many tourists here already. When I first came here I had heard about the taxis and tuk tuks. I rented a car at the airport... Much better deal, if you know how to drive here!

Absolutely. BIG if though I only recommend it if you have a Thai drivers license and have some experience driving in Thailand. But renting a car costs around the same price as one or two trips. Totally worth it and safer than riding a bike.

• Like 1