When Will You Call Thailand Your Home?

up2you2

i like to call Thailand home considering the time i have lived here, the amount of animals i have and business i own, but i am constantly reminded that its not and never will be. Even if i was to hold Thai passport, i would still be a foreigner.

• Like 1

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To expand a bit more. I do 90 address reports here and will continue to do 90 day address reports as long as I live here, no matter how many years. Or decades. That kind of place can't really be your home in reality. You can decide to delude yourself that it is if it makes you happier.

That's just silly. Do you know how many pieces of paper have to be filed every month and year to open a hot dog stand in Florida? Start with a fictitious name notice in triplicate to operate under your own name. Health inspector, building inspector, and on and on. Thailand is a breeze of no paperwork place. Don't be silly; living and working and everything here is a heaven for those who can't stand paperwork.

I guess you have never owned business in Thailand. Do you know how many pages need to be presented and signed just to open company bank account?

Do you know how many pages need to be signed when you borrow money to buy something?

DO you know how many papers need to be presented and signed to get phone line or internet connected to your business?

Do you know how many papers need to be signed when you do your yearly tax returns?

The answer is you do not , because if you did you would not be making silly comments about Thailand being paperless.

• Like 2

It's best to be realistic. Rose colour on the glasses causes red on the brain ... coffee1.gif

You may see what you want to see. I have built and operated 28 restaurants in 4 different countries. Thailand is a breeze. A breath of fresh air. I spend 30 minutes a year with the Thai government. In the Western countries I spent 3 hours daily complying with all their regulations. When I even think about the number of inspectors I dealt with on a daily basis I see red.

cheesy.gif , now its the restaurants?

Before you ran 5 star hotels all over the world, and ran US army businesses in Thailand and owned 1 restaurant in US, now you built and operated 28 restaurants? AND around the world?and yet you complain about 5000 baht being expansive for a lawn?

What the name of that chain?

I would have assumed for someone with such a HUGE business, to own his home in Thailand, but did you not say you bought the furniture while your GF paid for the house?

You spend 30 mins with Thai government? for what? I have not spent a minute with any government official and yet i do not own 28, would not you have an accounts department and management to handle all the local issues, because last time i checked government officials do not speak any english.

When Thailand gives me citizenship ...............

Agree, but for you and me it will never happen, thats when the real meaning of home and taking care of some of the natives doesn't compute here, sadly. sad.png

but even if it does, you and i will still be foreigners and will always be treated as one, unless we undergo face and brain surgery to look , walk, think and feel same as Thai

Just look at some Indians(Indian origin) but born and raised in Thailand, they are still considered Indian and called one also.

Not exactly at all. Maybe Thailand has a big government with all sorts of rules and regulations but I don't see it. I have someone report for me every 90 days but Thailand does not care where I live in reality. No one checks. In many countries you have to show a passport to get a room. Not here. No one ever knows where I am. I pay for everything in cash. No one tracks my expenditures. No checks. No worries.

again wrong(seems to be the norm now)

In Thailand by law one must have passport present including arrival card to be checked into the hotel and hotel must report that foreigner checking in with in 24 hours, section 38 of thai immigration act.

A thai person must have id card with them 24 hours per day.

again for someone who supposedly ran hotels in Thailand you should be aware of the law, unless of course all that running hotels was load of BS.

there reason why no one cares where you are here is because you are not a thai, you do not work and there is no social system, so you right government does not care where and what you are.

Just as a tourist living in USA is no concern to a government, unless they break some law.

I have had a couple of employees who were Thai but either born and raised in Europe or raised in Europe and now returned, all spoke fluent Thai.

Every single one of them had stated at one point in time that they did not feel like at home and could not fit in, because locals always made them feel weird.

I think there is a new member fefe, she is Thai but raised in UK from memory and according to her, she is called a foreigner.

So how can anyone feel at home when everything and everyone singles you out.

The 90 day report.

It is like police bail reporting to a police station.

Hardly makes you feel welcome.

I would only do that at home if I was a criminal.

Or put another way: Perpetually on Probation,without having comitted a crime!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

I call Thailand my home as the place where i can settle. My home is the place i created and worked for in the west so i can call it my home.

The same goes for Thailand. Still have to do some work, though, to achieve the goal of actually being able to call it "My home"...

I am grateful i have been given the position to have the opportunity to infrastructure my life this way.

Edited by Dancealot

To expand a bit more. I do 90 address reports here and will continue to do 90 day address reports as long as I live here, no matter how many years. Or decades. That kind of place can't really be your home in reality. You can decide to delude yourself that it is if it makes you happier.

You can apply for permanent residence after three years.

I think you will find it takes 5 years,from application,and not so straight forward!

It's best to be realistic. Rose colour on the glasses causes red on the brain ... coffee1.gif

You may see what you want to see. I have built and operated 28 restaurants in 4 different countries. Thailand is a breeze. A breath of fresh air. I spend 30 minutes a year with the Thai government. In the Western countries I spent 3 hours daily complying with all their regulations. When I even think about the number of inspectors I dealt with on a daily basis I see red.

As a consumer I like those regulations.

Regulations such as requirements to refrigerate perishables,to prevent infestations of vermin, safe workplaces including running hot water in the kitchen and proper washing of utensils etc. I am also in favour of fair workplaces where workers are paid a legal wage and have access to medical care if injured on the job and employers cannot sexually harass the employees.

The simple answer is never. But, I am considering spending a lot of time in Thailand. Canada is and will always be my home, but our winters are just a little too long. I'm an active, outdoor person and sitting in front of a television all day is not my idea of fun. I enjoy skiing in Canada, but can't afford to do that continually. Other winter time options are limited. In Thailand I can ride a motorbike every day with the exception of the occasional rain storm.

The simple answer is never. But, I am considering spending a lot of time in Thailand. Canada is and will always be my home, but our winters are just a little too long. I'm an active, outdoor person and sitting in front of a television all day is not my idea of fun. I enjoy skiing in Canada, but can't afford to do that continually. Other winter time options are limited. In Thailand I can ride a motorbike every day with the exception of the occasional rain storm.

sissy, scared your eyebrows will get wet?tongue.png

I did not read all the replies so apologize if it has already been said.

I called Thailand my home the minute I stepped off the plane to move here full time.

When we use to come every year for a few months visit I did not call it my home.

Now I live here full time it is my home.

Home is where the heart is & where I am physically planted, living full time & calling it home.

Home is not described by where I hold citizenship nor where I don't.

Home is not described by where I was born, where I went to school or where the majority

of my family lives.

Home is here & now, Thailand

If someday I choose to move to a new home then that will be called home.

But given the current state of my old home ( USA ) I do not think I will be

going back nor calling it home any time soon.

Completely agree

• Like 1

As a consumer I like those regulations.

Regulations such as requirements to refrigerate perishables,to prevent infestations of vermin, safe workplaces including running hot water in the kitchen and proper washing of utensils etc. I am also in favour of fair workplaces where workers are paid a legal wage and have access to medical care if injured on the job and employers cannot sexually harass the employees.

I doubt anyone would disagree unless they had to pay for it in Thailand. The hot water requirement would eliminate 80% of Thai restaurants. Street food? No way, gone. A lady makes my lunch at home and brings it to my home daily. She'd be gone. Outdoor night markets supply most Thai restaurants, they would be gone. I don't think most people realize the number of regulations and the cost of enforcement and the number of people employed to do so. Meat packing plants in the US have to put the inspectors on the payroll. Some states require degrees some don't. Some states and cities the inspectors are appointed by politicians. I have paid more bribes in Chicago than Bangkok. All in all I don't see much difference. The operator goes out of business if people get sick in Thailand or the West. Are there more roaches and rats in Thai restaurants than restaurants in tropical places in the West? Not really. A few more rats I suppose. Does it bother me enough to go home? Not at all. Thailand is my home warts and all.

You can "call" it your home all you like. The immigration police, the people you report your address to, may have a different idea of your home. If you're a permanent resident or citizen this doesn't apply.

So JT who you are is determined by an immigration policeman? Do you need an ID card if you are Thai? Do you pay income tax if you are a Thai? Does the tax man need your address? Are you subject to the draft if you are Thai? Does the government have your address if you are Thai? Hmmmm?biggrin.png

• Like 1

You can "call" it your home all you like. The immigration police, the people you report your address to, may have a different idea of your home. If you're a permanent resident or citizen this doesn't apply.

So JT who you are is determined by an immigration policeman? Do you need an ID card if you are Thai? Do you pay income tax if you are a Thai? Does the tax man need your address? Are you subject to the draft if you are Thai? Does the government have your address if you are Thai? Hmmmm?biggrin.png

You be tripping. I don't get your line of "reasoning" but you're welcome to it!

You be tripping. I don't get your line of "reasoning" but you're welcome to it!

OK I'll try and explain. The Thai government knows where Thais live. They want to know where you live too.biggrin.png

I haven't read the whole thread but the above post, your previous one and a few between highlight what was apparent when I read the OP: not everyone has the same definition of "home".

Some of you seem to feel that others (ie the Thai government) will determine what is your home. For me, "home" doesn't mean "the place where I get the same treatment as everyone else/ fair treatment/ the treatment I deserve" or any of that. I imagine many African Americans (just for one example) would have called the Deep South their home even in the 40s or 50s (all the more reason why their situation was so horribly unjust) and for me it's the same - I'm nowhere near as ill-treated in Thailand as an African American was there and then but certainly there is a lack of equality; nonetheless I live here, my family is here, so many of my significant life events happened here and my foreseeable future is here -- for better or (and certainly at time) worse, it's my home.

No rose colored glasses needed: because I call it "home" doesn't mean I like everything about it or that all or most Thais or their government would agree with me but I don't leave it up to them to determine what that word means to me. (When they kick me out, I suppose I will have to but until then...)

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

I should add that my perspective is bound to be different from some: I feel a bond with my native country and always will but I don't have any place there that I can call "home", haven't lived there for a very long time, and spent some of my life there in a transient fashion.

I think some people are comparing life here to an actual home they have elsewhere - I have only one (wherever I happen to live).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I think many people would feel hesitant to do it, of course because of the obvious Visa and citizen hassle, but also, when people stop referring to us as farang all the time. I do not refer to them as dark skin all the time. It is just a very clumsy term, and it does not make us feel motivated to call this home, even though I have been living here for MANY years.Come to think of it, I think I should begin to refer to them as dark skin as soon as they call me farang.

Edited by ayayay

Sorry I thought the OP question was " When Will You Call Thailand Your Home"

I gave my answer based on that.

Now if the question had been where does all the folks you mentioned call my home then I guess you "may" have a point....for you.

Yet when I do report for my yearly extension as I do not report for 90 day extensions preferring to pay a service the paltry sum

equal to 2.7 baht a day to do it for me, They ( Immigration ) also ask me where is "My Home"

They even want an address for My Home & sometimes even want a picture of My Home.

I have even been asked at Police check points..."Where You Go?" I answer Home,( Glap Baan ) They say where is your Home?

I say Jangwat Chiangmai. They say Ok very good you may go.

So I am not sure I even agree with you on your points.

I also said in my post I did not read all the replies but, now I have.

I must say it is kind of a frustrated disgruntled group for the most part eh laugh.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Isn't that what the OP asked? What we "call" it? And who says Immigration Police have anything to do with that?

Is it RATIONAL to agree with the dictionary?

Home:

A place where one lives; a residence.

An environment offering security and happiness.

A valued place regarded as a refuge...

The place, such as a country or town, where one was born or has lived for a long period.

A headquarters; a home base.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap