When Will You Call Thailand Your Home?

up2you2

The simple answer is never. But, I am considering spending a lot of time in Thailand. Canada is and will always be my home, but our winters are just a little too long. I'm an active, outdoor person and sitting in front of a television all day is not my idea of fun. I enjoy skiing in Canada, but can't afford to do that continually. Other winter time options are limited. In Thailand I can ride a motorbike every day with the exception of the occasional rain storm.

sissy, scared your eyebrows will get wet?tongue.png

No, it takes me forever to dry my mop of hair. laugh.png

I don't like riding on slippery streets right after or during a rain. I'm just not that confident at riding blind with headlights glaring off the wet streets at night. Besides, all I have to do is wait a couple of hours and the rain will quit. In BC it can rain every day for a month.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can "call" it your home all you like. The immigration police, the people you report your address to, may have a different idea of your home. If you're a permanent resident or citizen this doesn't apply.

Isn't that what the OP asked? What we "call" it? And who says Immigration Police have anything to do with that?

Is it RATIONAL to agree with the dictionary?

Home:

A place where one lives; a residence.

An environment offering security and happiness.

A valued place regarded as a refuge...

The place, such as a country or town, where one was born or has lived for a long period.

A headquarters; a home base.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I think it is the security factor that stops most people from considering Thailand as their new home. Although I think it is unlikely that somebody who has lived here for years on 1-year extensions of a non-immigrant O visa will suddenly be refused an extension or deported, the fact that it's a possibility precludes them from feeling secure.
  • Like 1

You can "call" it your home all you like. The immigration police, the people you report your address to, may have a different idea of your home. If you're a permanent resident or citizen this doesn't apply.

Isn't that what the OP asked? What we "call" it? And who says Immigration Police have anything to do with that?

Home:

The place, such as a country or town, where one was born or has lived for a long period.

I think it is the security factor that stops most people from considering Thailand as their new home. Although I think it is unlikely that somebody who has lived here for years on 1-year extensions of a non-immigrant O visa will suddenly be refused an extension or deported, the fact that it's a possibility precludes them from feeling secure.

I know what you mean, absolutely. I have lived here for years on 1 year extensions but I do indeed feel that lack of certainty and Thailand doesn't offer that "security" and it's perhaps the thing that makes me more unhappy about living here than anything else.

However, even if one wants go all semantic and adhere to the dictionary (which of course no one has to) that lack doesn't preclude calling Thailand home as the definition doesn't require ALL of those things listed to exist in order for a place to be called "home" - just one or more. I live here and have for a long time. That alone meets the definition. And again, to my mind (and according to the dictionary) calling someplace "home" doesn't mean you like everything about it or that there aren't some very important things you don't like about it - and so the rest of my previous posts still stand.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

Home:

I know what you mean, absolutely. I have lived here for years on 1 year extensions but I do indeed feel that lack of certainty and Thailand doesn't offer that "security" and it's perhaps the thing that makes me more unhappy about living here than anything else.

However, even if one wants go all semantic and adhere to the dictionary (which of course no one has to) that lack doesn't preclude calling Thailand home as the definition doesn't require ALL of those things listed to exist in order for a place to be called "home" - just one or more. I live here and have for a long time. That alone meets the definition. And again, to my mind (and according to the dictionary) calling someplace "home" doesn't mean you like everything about it or that there aren't some very important things you don't like about it - and so the rest of my previous posts still stand.

Sure, if you consider it as your home, that's the final word as far as I'm concerned. It's not my place to tell you how you should feel about this or any other country. I was just voicing my thoughts in response to your last post, not trying to tell you how you feel smile.png Edited by inthepink

So JT who you are is determined by an immigration policeman? Do you need an ID card if you are Thai? Do you pay income tax if you are a Thai? Does the tax man need your address? Are you subject to the draft if you are Thai? Does the government have your address if you are Thai? Hmmmm?biggrin.png

In most countries of the world it is the police (immigration or other) who decide where your home is.

In the UK, the police decided the house I purchased outright and lived in for eight years was no longer my home, and a judge confirmed their decision.

Nobody cared about my ID, my name on the land registry or other minor stuff like that .........

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Sure, if you consider it as your home, that's the final word as far as I'm concerned. It's not my place to tell you how you should feel about this or any other country. I was just voicing my thoughts in response to your last post, not trying to tell you how you feel smile.png

Oh, I understood what you were doing and didn't mean to sound as if I didn't or imply that you were trying to dictate anything. And here was nothing presumptuous or judgmental about your post - unlike others on this thread that I referenced. :)

It's best to be realistic. Rose colour on the glasses causes red on the brain ... coffee1.gif

I haven't read the whole thread but the above post, your previous one and a few between highlight what was apparent when I read the OP: not everyone has the same definition of "home".

Some of you seem to feel that others (ie the Thai government) will determine what is your home. For me, "home" doesn't mean "the place where I get the same treatment as everyone else/ fair treatment/ the treatment I deserve" or any of that. I live here, my family is here, so many of my significant life events happened here and my foreseeable future is here -- for better or (and certainly at time) worse, it's my home.

No rose colored glasses needed: because I call it "home" doesn't mean I like everything about it or that all or most Thais or their government would agree with me but I don't leave it up to them to determine what that word means to me.

Well said.

Edited by mca

Typical Thai: So where you come from?

Homey F-rang: My home is Thailand.

Typical Thai: So where is your home country?

Homey F-rang: Thailand is my home.

Typical Thai: So where is your REAL home country?

Homey F-rang: I told you. THAILAND

Typical Thai: BAA F-RANG!

Typical for me goes more like this

Me: America

Typical Thai: How long you been here?

Me: 8 months already

Typical Thai: When will you leave?

Me : I will stay here now forever

Typical Thai : Dee Mak !!

But the above is usually spoken in Thai

"Where you come from?" is a completely different question from "Where is your home?" When people ask me the former (which is all they ever ask), I answer with the country I am from (which oddly enough answers the question asked.) Mind you the convesation is usually a lot more natural and clear when spoken in Thai.

In the course of conversation (often as I explain why I care about certain Thai issues) I have over the years told dozens of Thais that while I am not Thai and never will be, Thailand is now my home (and generally explain why). I've never had anyone call me crazy and indeed often see open approval though more often see no particular reaction at all other than a non-committal nod (and I couldn't care less what they are thinking when they do that).

*By the way, you've got your rather far fetched and imaginary Thai syntax wrong.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Answer must be when you can become a citizen. Yes, you can become one now, but the bar is so high its almost impossible to attain.

My view is I never one to call it home. Known too many people die here without society caring how they died. Personally think Thailand is not very safe and I have been here since 1995.

The Pattaya version:

Homey F-rang: I will stay here now forever

Typical Thai: What crime did you commit in America?

You need to get out more wink.png

While many Thai's dream of visiting Western countries based on how the media has portrayed them.

Those who do travel mostly want only to get back to Thailand.

While my wife worked & was happy in the US for 5 years she is happier here as I am.

Which is why when I tell them I will stay they always say ahhh Thailand is good yes?

I always say it is similar in food & good people, weather like where I came from but we like it better here.

Edited by mania

"Where you come from?" is a completely different question from "Where is your home?" When people ask me the former (which is all they ever ask), I answer with the country I am from.

In the course of conversation (often as I explain why I care about certain Thai issues) I have over the years told dozens of Thais that while I am not Thai and never will be, Thailand is now my home (and generally explain why). I've never had anyone call me crazy and indeed often see open approval though more often see no particular reaction at all other than a non-committal nod (and I couldn't care less what they are thinking when they do that).

*By the way, you've got your rather far fetched and imaginary Thai syntax wrong.

So now you're "correcting" my grammar. Going for the Thai-ier than Thai medal of the week?

The Pattaya version:

Homey F-rang: I will stay here now forever

Typical Thai: What crime did you commit in America?

You need to get out more wink.png

While many Thai's dream of visiting Western countries based on how the media has portrayed them.

Those who do travel mostly want only to get back to Thailand.

While my wife worked & was happy in the US for 5 years she is happier here as I am.

Which is why when I tell them I will stay they always say ahhh Thailand is good yes?

I always say it is similar in food & good people, weather like where I came from but we like it better here.

Actually in Pattaya there are a lot of foreigners with criminal pasts so even though it's not fair to assume all of us do, the stereotype you get here has a grain of truth.
  • Like 1

I've had a Thai lawyer tell me she doesn't understand why any foreigner would want to retire in Thailand away from their home. The subtext is we're crazy. Maybe we are. Oh well ...

The Thai lawyer was probably speaking from a family perspective as it tears a Thai's heart out to be too far from family.

But by your posts it must be rough to feel as you do.

I mean that sincerely & not in any bad way.

You seem like your stuck between a rock & a hard place.

I've had a Thai lawyer tell me she doesn't understand why any foreigner would want to retire in Thailand away from their home. The subtext is we're crazy. Maybe we are. Oh well ...

The Thai lawyer was probably speaking from a family perspective as it tears a Thai's heart out to be too far from family.

I've never been to Araq and have no desire to visit. Please do me a favor and spare me your crocodile pity. There is NO right answer to the question in the OP. It's a personal thing. I feel my view is less delusional but y'all are welcome to feel as you want. I won't pity you but I won't applaud you either. Edited by Jingthing

I dunno about "Homey F-rang" jing mate. More like "F-rang whose battery has gone in his hearing aid" biggrin.png

• Like 1

Actually in Pattaya there are a lot of foreigners with criminal pasts so even though it's not fair to assume all of us do, the stereotype you get here has a grain of truth.

I have heard that about Pattaya

I have never been there but if true I guess it is understandable to be lumped in with the majority.

But then again Pattaya has quite a reputation as being not the best examples of Thai's or Foreigners it seems

For the last 15 years or so I have lived here comfortably,I'm thankful for that and the opportunities Thailand has presented me.

However unfortunately the hosts of this marvellous country still make me jump through loops like a performing cheese eating monkey, varying the rules to stay with a moments notice for what seems like there own amusement.

When that stops and I'm finally able to put down proper roots, without wondering will I be here next year, then It would be come my home.I am doubtful this will ever be the case.

Edited by stiggy

"Where you come from?" is a completely different question from "Where is your home?" When people ask me the former (which is all they ever ask), I answer with the country I am from.

So now you're "correcting" my grammar. Going for the Thai-ier than Thai medal of the week?

First of all, I didn't correct anything. I pointed out that you'd made an error. Secondly, I mentioned your syntax, not your grammar. :)

As for your facetious question, I think my posting history would indicate I'm not that sort of poster but I can't really blame you for responding as you did to that bit; I admit I hesitated to make it but the only reason I did was that I thought that it was ironic that you were trying to give an example of a conversation that was "typical" but in fact no Thai would say that phrase.

I've never been to Araq and have no desire to visit. Please do me a favor and spare me your crocodile pity. There is NO right answer to the question in the OP. It's a personal thing. I feel my view is less delusional but y'all are welcome to feel as you want. I won't pity you but I won't applaud you either.

Of course there's no right answer (which is what I said in my first post) and that's why I find your judgmental and superior attitude odd and off-putting.

And I have to agree with what I think mania was saying: it would suck to want to stay somewhere for a long time but feel so strongly that it can't be "home".

I am almost happy that Thailand has as many hoops to jump through to stay here. Otherwise can you imagine how many people would be calling this place home? Seriously you would have 100's of thousands of people wanting to move here.

Sheesh the last thing this country needs is more overweight, know it all, womanizing Canucks.

I'm ooot of here.