When Will You Call Thailand Your Home?

up2you2

This is dedicated to those that still have a packed suitcase at the bottom of their beds, ready to depart at a moments notice.

I suppose some may comment what's your definition of home.

Well let me tell you mine.

I first came here physically, solely vacations, and then one early morning flying into Don Muang looking out at the rice fields below, I don't know why but I thought to myself I'm coming home.

This was the emotional stage.

Next up after my Mother passed away I thought to myself, well lets see if I can handle the humid monsoon season. As a couple of mates of mine said they actually preferred it.

Not so bad, and it's true with time you do adjust.

So now this left the physiological stage, could I in theory, let alone in practice divide my heart between two continents. Sit on the fence, run two homes with all the inherent costs that are involved.

For the first ten years I didn't have a choice as I couldn't sell my home, so I rented.

Finally I did sell, so this left the last decision to make, the financial one.

Importing committed funds into Thailand to establish a home.

These are the steps I took on this staircase to contentment, I recommend them to others as they served me well.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To expand a bit more. I do 90 address reports here and will continue to do 90 day address reports as long as I live here, no matter how many years. Or decades. That kind of place can't really be your home in reality. You can decide to delude yourself that it is if it makes you happier.

Yes, and very different for Thais living in farangland.
  • Like 1

To expand a bit more. I do 90 address reports here and will continue to do 90 day address reports as long as I live here, no matter how many years. Or decades. That kind of place can't really be your home in reality. You can decide to delude yourself that it is if it makes you happier.

That's just silly. Do you know how many pieces of paper have to be filed every month and year to open a hot dog stand in Florida? Start with a fictitious name notice in triplicate to operate under your own name. Health inspector, building inspector, and on and on. Thailand is a breeze of no paperwork place. Don't be silly; living and working and everything here is a heaven for those who can't stand paperwork.

You missed my point. It wasn't about paperwork per se.

Never.

It,s not the reporting or other nonsense. It's the simple fact that we are farang and they are Thai. Very different mentality on both sides

So I'm a guest in this country. Not different to other countries in this world, where foreigners make their own groups. Even in 2nd or 3 rd generations.

• Like 1

That's just silly. Do you know how many pieces of paper have to be filed every month and year to open a hot dog stand in Florida? Start with a fictitious name notice in triplicate to operate under your own name. Health inspector, building inspector, and on and on. Thailand is a breeze of no paperwork place. Don't be silly; living and working and everything here is a heaven for those who can't stand paperwork.

The US government tracked my every move in my little business and I had to report everything I did. The cops tracked me with radar when I drove home and god forbid I crossed the street in the middle of the block. I feel the 90 day address report is a lot less intrusive on my privacy than the ever increasing big government in other Western nations. Be it the actual amount of paperwork or the government wanting to know where I live. Thailand wins on both points.

• Like 2

The US government tracked my every move in my little business and I had to report everything I did. The cops tracked me with radar when I drove home and god forbid I crossed the street in the middle of the block. I feel the 90 day address report is a lot less intrusive on my privacy than the ever increasing big government in other Western nations. Be it the actual amount of paperwork or the government wanting to know where I live. Thailand wins on both points.

My wife does the 90 day reports for me.

It's best to be realistic. Rose colour on the glasses causes red on the brain ... coffee1.gif

You may see what you want to see. I have built and operated 28 restaurants in 4 different countries. Thailand is a breeze. A breath of fresh air. I spend 30 minutes a year with the Thai government. In the Western countries I spent 3 hours daily complying with all their regulations. When I even think about the number of inspectors I dealt with on a daily basis I see red.

Yes, and very different for Thais living in farangland.

As is the process of applying for a tourist visa for Thais visiting the UK (for example) when compared to what we have to do to get a tourist visa for Thailand

In answer to the OP, I will never consider Thailand as my home. It's somewhere I will probably stay until I die but it isn't my home.

Edited by inthepink
  • Like 2

It's best to be realistic. Rose colour on the glasses causes red on the brain ... coffee1.gif

You may see what you want to see. I have built and operated 28 restaurants in 4 different countries. Thailand is a breeze. A breath of fresh air. I spend 30 minutes a year with the Thai government. In the Western countries I spent 3 hours daily complying with all their regulations. When I even think about the number of inspectors I dealt with on a daily basis I see red.

Think you are looking at it from a money making point of view which is very different from the OP.

Exactly!
  • Like 1

Think you are looking at it from a money making point of view which is very different from the OP.

Not really money only from a BS point of view. Petty bureaucrats that took their little 10 cent jobs and made them like the Gestapo. Sure Thailand has the same problems but I only have to deal with them once a year for 30 minutes. I watched two nurses weigh a dead body because it was easier to do than then explain to an inspector he died before they weighed him that day. Inspected by the IRS. Three divorces. Government contracts. The West has gone paperwork crazy. We bought a house here last year. They typed the documents with a mechanical typewriter. It was great. When I got to Thailand I took a step back in time. I liked it. That is part of the reason I feel at home here.