Thai Police Pledges To Suppress Human Trafficking More Seriously

webfact

Police pledges to suppress human trafficking more seriously

BANGKOK, 7 February 2013 (NNT) - The Royal Thai Police Office has vowed to take stiff action against human trafficking and threatened to punish police commanders if police from other units arrest human trafficking suspects in areas under their supervision.

newsjsAccording to National Police Spokesman Pol.Maj.Gen.Piya Uthayo, prevention and suppression of human trafficking has always been the main policy of the Royal Thai Police, since human trafficking is an act that severely violates human rights and dignity.

It is also the government’s important policy which requires all government units to seriously tackle the problem together in an urgent manner.

Pol.Maj.Gen.Piya Uthayo elaborated that there were four main categories of human trafficking, including human trafficking in the fishing industry, child prostitution, forced begging and deception in international labor markets.

He confirmed police would strictly enforce the laws and take a serious action against officers found to have neglected their duty.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-02-07 footer_n.gif

According to National Police Spokesman Pol.Maj.Gen.Piya Uthayo, prevention and suppression of human trafficking has always been the main policy of the Royal Thai Police, since human trafficking is an act that severely violates human rights and dignity.

whistling.gif Yeah, right. This kind of statement from the police and the ensuing shoddy reporting from the Nation is simply smoke screen propaganda.

Next.

Edited by arthurboy
  • Like 1

Compare the headline

"Police pledges to suppress human trafficking more seriously"

to the body text excerpt

"...prevention and suppression of human trafficking has always been the main policy of the Royal Thai Police..."

and you're actually starting to wonder if this is just yet another case of shoddy reporting or copywriting, or whether the national police spokesman quoted is just trying to divert from the possible fact that the police might have taken their anti-human trafficking efforts NOT nearly as seriously as the good major-general is claiming.

My guess is as good as yours, but I am banking on the latter.

About time to bring out the "its not my job, its those influntial people, we are doing our best, we do not have enough resources to be effective, " or finally, lets us do as we have for years, "you do not step on our toes and we will not step on yours"

Anything the police officialdom say, I always translate to mean exactly the opposite as being the truth.

So in this case, I translate this headline as: Thailand aims to be the hub for human trafficking.

Precisely!

I learned this from Thaksin, whom I have dubbed the anti-Socrates.

> Police pledges to suppress human trafficking more seriously

translation: prices are going up

I think the only way this can be stopped is if there is an international grass-roots movement, along the lines of the anti-apartheid movement against South Africa in the 1980s. If the tourist numbers take a big enough hit (meaning affecting Thais in their 2nd biggest concern*: their money) it may make an impact. Even then, if they make all nice-nice they'll be back to a few years later after the problem has officially been declared to be solved.

* if you have to ask what is the primary concern, the answer is vanity/ego

Edited by bendejo

The definition of "strict" depends however on the kickback, the publicity the case has generated (too much, mean by the book) and on the status of the trafficker or employer within Thai society.

When Abhisit made a human trafficker, co-owner of a brothel with underage girls minister of commerce we all knew that there is a slight discrepancy between what is said and what is done. The new government is not any different at all. People that are caught have the statistics working against them.

The Russians supply more hookers to BKK and Pattaya than they did AK-47's to the Viet Cong. "Suppress" not "Stop". They will make a few high profile busts of pimps who didn't pay their tea money, take some nice photos with the sap covering his face, then it will be back to the usual.