Chinese New Year In Chiang Mai

Frankie26

Here's how it looked last year.

i-3pkkFs9-XL.jpg

By a fortunate coincidence, this just happens to be one of the prints in the CMPG Exhibition which is still on for another couple of days on the 4th Floor of Central Airport Plaza right next to Wawee Coffee. Many thanks to all those who have stopped by and left such positive comments in our visitor book - it's been a great couple of weeks and the new location is busy the whole day through.

By the way, the 2nd Chiang Mai Documentary Arts Festival started today with exhibitions, screenings, presentations and workshops at the CMU Arts Centre (on the corner of Nimmenhamen and Suthep Roads) and at venues across town. More details here.

• Like 1

I visited Warorot Market today. Lots of street food vendors and sellers but no entertainment today.

The road was closed off around the market to traffic and it was actually quite nice taking a liesurely walk around the area.

I talked to some guys setting up a stage next to the 7/11 on the corner of Warorot Market who said the parade and events kicks off at 11 a.m. tomorrow.

Here's some photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93034907@N02/with/8457449701/#photo_8457449701

...and here's some more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93034907@N02/with/8458554404/#photo_8458554404

it certainly was busy at the Airport Plaza today and attendents were parking vehicles in the access lanes and walking paths.

I visited the local photo art show on the fourth floor, but one look at the crowd in DTAC changed my mind about waiting to add a few baht to my cell phone. I enjoyed the photos posted by local members of the photography group. A couple were outstanding.

it certainly was busy at the Airport Plaza today and attendents were parking vehicles in the access lanes and walking paths.

I visited the local photo art show on the fourth floor, but one look at the crowd in DTAC changed my mind about waiting to add a few baht to my cell phone. I enjoyed the photos posted by local members of the photography group. A couple were outstanding.

What would be really out standing is if they would learn how to post them on Thai Visa

in a manner that allows people to see the whole picture and comments with out sliding the screen side ways.

• Like 1

What would be really out standing is if they would learn how to post them on Thai Visa

in a manner that allows people to see the whole picture and comments with out sliding the screen side ways.

Is it too much trouble to use "CTRL -" to zoom out? At a modest (by today's standards) 1366x768 you don't need to scroll... It's not the poster's fault if you're on some prehistoric resolution... :-)

In the US, 1024x768 is still narrowly leading as the most common resolution for visitor's browsers. 1366x768 has already taken the lead (by a long way) globally.

• Like 1

I viisted this morning.

The program started around 11 a.m. First, a presentation honoring some local citizens.Then a dragon troupe left the stage area and began parading around Warorot Market. While that was happening a dance group performed on stage.

It was a short program and just when I thought it was over and headed out for lunch, the dragon troupe returned.

They paused for a short while allowing people to donate money by putting it into the dragon's mouth and watching it disappear (a man behind the dragon worked some levers so the mouth would open and close).

Then came the highlight. The dragon troupe quickly climbed a flag pole in front of the main stage and wound the dragon's body up the pole until the head reached the top. Then another member - "the warrior prince" - mounted another pole and was hoisted up into the air by other members of the troupe, where he swayed in the air and did battle with the dragon, spewing out smoke and fire works. The End.

I might return later today. Yesterday I saw another stage set up and I'm guessing there might still be some entertainment later ths evening. Hard to say.

I added some more photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93034907@N02/8460951872/in/photostream

Thank you for the report and photos, Frankie. It sounds like you also enjoyed it as much as I did. I parked about a kilometer away and walked to the market.

I originally planned to attend with my wife. Then, came the time when I realized there would have no place for me to park. Lucky you on a bike, renee!

Renee, if you are from a big city in Canada, I'm sure they have grander shows. But, it doesn't matter as long as you enjoy it where you are. That's what counts!