Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

webfact

Prostitution is only embarrassing to those Thai who refuse to see the reality of a country rife with corruption where any illegal activity is ignored by authorities for the right price. What the government really wants is for the activity to continue, but quietly. What is disturbing to authorities is media that refuse to repeat the TAT rubbish and report the truth.

• Like 2

to be fair if the Thai men were not so keen in selling their women, then this problem would be no more then say in England. When a foreigner gets into a taxi in London, the driver does not ask him 'do you want lady boom boom'?

Unless its a rich Arab! smile.png

Arabs are generally muslim so they would not be sex tourists or frequent bars

That's correct. All the generally Muslim Arabs stay at the Grace hotel in Soi 3 Sukumvit where they spend their time playing Seega and sucking on hookahs. They certainly have nothing to do with prostitutes.attachicon.giftic.jpg

They have their Fillipina maids to keep them happy. They do not want to pay for it. R.A.P.E

• Like 1

The most embarrassing aspect of this whole topic is the blatant hypocrisy.

A lot of western men come to Thailand and enter into cash transactions with females who we refer to as prostitutes. These men often enter into such transactions with numerous women while in the country. The women also enter into numerous transaction with men. Of course, the cash transactions primarily involve sexual acts.

Now, why is it that the females involved in these transactions are commonly viewed in such a bad light and referred to by so many highly pejorative terms, such as hooker, whore, etc., while the men involved in these transactions generally do not suffer the same poor treatment by society?

In terms of scruples or principles or morals, can we possibly consider the men who pay for sex any less culpable than the women who accept money for sex? To be reasonable and honest, we cannot condemn the women any more than the men.

To do so is absolutely hypocritical bs.

Or for christs sake. They are hookers, prostitutes or what ever you want to call them. Some western men come to Thailand and don't hang out at whore houses or whatever you want to call them. And by the same token you will find that some of these guys are not hanging out with the guys that hang out at whore houses or what ever you may wish to call them.

w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

Prostitution is only embarrassing to those Thai who refuse to see the reality of a country rife with corruption where any illegal activity is ignored by authorities for the right price. What the government really wants is for the activity to continue, but quietly. What is disturbing to authorities is media that refuse to repeat the TAT rubbish and report the truth.

So, they should make it like New Zealand, where it is legal, but hardly much discussed.

"It is the reality that we have to find the solution for, and start to
do something about the shameful image of Thailand that began decades
ago."

Decades ago?? more like centuries ago, as prostitution is so ingrained in the culture that it will never disappear.

• Like 2

TBL, in my experience, the 'expats' who cry the loudest about 'prostitution' in Thailand are those who have filled their boots already, married a bargirl, and suddenly think they're a pillar of society.

Look at all of those ridiculous imbeciles playing at 'Rotarians' in Pattaya for evidence of this.

• Like 2

Now the news releases footage of Thai men beating prostitutes. Read the article here it has the link to the video

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2296268/Video-police-beating-Burmese-prostitutes-Thailand-causes-outrage.html

Horrific video of ‘police beating prostitutes until they are nearly unconscious’ provokes outrage in Thailand

I wish that articles like that would make it clear that the "trafficked women, 60% of whom are thought to be under 18" refers to the THAI trade, not to those working in the farang scene.

It also amazes me to see the responses from UK people that obviously do not know that women are trafficked into Britain for the sex trade there.

Re teh video mentioned herein, there are reports that the speech has been translated as suggesting that the initial reports of who, where and why are incorrect.

However this just seems to be apologist nonsense [even if true] and such violence against women cannot be tolerated.

But if this new twist is accurate then the chances of anyone, anywhere doing anything whistling.gif to catch these Neanderthals* is zip to zero.

* I apologise to any of Thailand's resident Neanderthals if they feel slighted by this comment.biggrin.png

Edited by A_Traveller

Re teh video mentioned herein, there are reports that the speech has been translated as suggesting that the initial reports of who, where and why are incorrect.

However this just seems to be apologist nonsense [even if true] and such violence against women cannot be tolerated.

But if this new twist is accurate then the chances of anyone, anywhere doing anything whistling.gif to catch these Neanderthals* is zip to zero.

* I apologise to any of Thailand's resident Neanderthals if they feel slighted by this comment.biggrin.png

Yeah the Daily Mail is implying the people doing the beating are police. Certainly would not surprise me, but I agree that the odds of these animals coming to justice is......... non-existent.

no, it's the biggest income earner and Thailand would have to work harder without it. But seriously every country has it and it would only go underground if governments try to do anything plus will be more attacks against women so which do you prefer?

no, it's the biggest income earner and Thailand would have to work harder without it. But seriously every country has it and it would only go underground if governments try to do anything plus will be more attacks against women so which do you prefer?

The biggest income earner in relation to what?

In relation to the biggest urban legend.

CMK, I know you and your stats are going to make LBKKs post look stupid- but what he is trying to say is it is a very big earner here, NO ONE CAN estimate how much money is paid out through the go go --and girl and boy bar/karaoke/massage. so there are NO figures to prove it.

We can look at the Thai industry-etc earners. But in any of your posts you have never given an honest yearly income to Thailand from this on the game earner, you only bring out TAT and other figures.

In other words round up the million or so hookers of various types get an honest income from them and come back to tell posters how much of an earner it is to Thailand.

• Like 1

Yeah the Daily Mail is implying the people doing the beating are police. Certainly would not surprise me, but I agree that the odds of these animals coming to justice is......... non-existent.

I thought it had been shown that the guys doing the beating were the Burmese pimps. Trafficking is a nasty business, but has very little, if anyhting, to do with the farang prostitution scene.

CMK, I know you and your stats are going to make LBKKs post look stupid- but what he is trying to say is it is a very big earner here, NO ONE CAN estimate how much money is paid out through the go go --and girl and boy bar/karaoke/massage. so there are NO figures to prove it.

We can look at the Thai industry-etc earners. But in any of your posts you have never given an honest yearly income to Thailand from this on the game earner, you only bring out TAT and other figures.

In other words round up the million or so hookers of various types get an honest income from them and come back to tell posters how much of an earner it is to Thailand.

At the risk of being accused of x-posting, which I am, oddly there was a bit of a discussion about this, inevitably, in the TAT thread.

The contribution by prostitution to the economy of Thailand is a a subject that has proven to be intractable to resolve. IIRC a late '90s study with reasonable academic qualifications as to methodology suggested that in '98 close to 300 million USD was transferred yearly to rural families by women engaged in prostitution in urban areas and contended that in the years ['93/95 I think] the income from prostitution was some 24 Billion USD per annum.

If someone says "link" I don't have one but I do recall the presentation [the numbers kind stayed with me because they seemed so extraordinary] which was greeted with sage head nodding not indignation nor disbelief.

Edited by A_Traveller

To be perfectly honest, I don't think Thailand has much more prostitution going on than Japan or Korea. It's just cheaper and thus more tourist-oriented.

Ahh those crazy Japanese who love sex and all things sex....

It's not that hard to figure. The Farang part is 10% of a 90% Thai industry and the total is around the same as rice sales used to be or about 10% of GDP. Industry (auto's and other manufacturing) is 30 to 40% of GDP . So certainly not small but hardly the biggest income earner. 90% of Thai Income comes from other sources.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

I thought it had been shown that the guys doing the beating were the Burmese pimps. Trafficking is a nasty business, but has very little, if anyhting, to do with the farang prostitution scene.

Men (people) like this are scum. It's not rare that those forced into prostitution are treated like this, think Europe but the 2nd world countries there that have trafficked women from the west.

I agree, this isn't something to do with the 'farang' prostitutes, but the country bars etc catering for the local clientele.

It's not that hard to figure. The Farang part is 10% of a 90% Thai industry and the total is around the same as rice sales used to be or about 10% of GDP. Industry (auto's and other manufacturing) is 30 to 40% of GDP . So certainly not small but hardly the biggest income earner. 90% of Thai Income comes from other sources.

It's easy to figure with stats. some of them are conjoured up. on this point YOU NOR stats have any idea of how much money is given to the bed addicts, easy to figure eh !!! 10% I can find that any time I am saying if it is that small whats all the hullabaloo about the millions arriving and vital to the Thai economy and TAT throwing numbers around like confetti.

Look up what you like throw out the propaganda, up to you, cannot you see there is more to it than figures, boring world if we all look up different stats and fight over which is right ---you have experience here surely---on your stay or trips here where do you tell the stats-tourism how much you bring with you or draw out of your accounts--to feed the girls and boys---and guest houses who do not publish figures----think on man

It's easy to figure with stats. some of them are conjoured up. on this point YOU NOR stats have any idea of how much money is given to the bed addicts, easy to figure eh !!! 10% I can find that any time I am saying if it is that small whats all the hullabaloo about the millions arriving and vital to the Thai economy and TAT throwing numbers around like confetti.

Look up what you like throw out the propaganda, up to you, cannot you see there is more to it than figures, boring world if we all look up different stats and fight over which is right ---you have experience here surely---on your stay or trips here where do you tell the stats-tourism how much you bring with you or draw out of your accounts--to feed the girls and boys---and guest houses who do not publish figures----think on man

Perhaps you misunderstood my post. Lindsay implied that prostitution was Thailand's main industry. And that statement is far from the truth. At best (or worst) it is only 10% of Thailand's GDP. Industry is far more important as is the sum total of tourism of which prostitution is only a small part and getting smaller every year as the tourist numbers increase from Asia. The rest I really don't understand what you are talking about.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Well, I have to partly agree with both sides.

The problem with the media is that prostitution is an easy shot to get audience/sell paper, especially in countries where the do-gooder PC nanny state forbids prostitution. Nothing better than to report about these exotically sinful Thais instead of doing some real journalism.

The same goes for politicians, which today are less and less visionaries with a plan for the people.

Instead they just support policies that will meet the least resistance.

I consider prostitution as a manifestation of personal freedom (as long as it's not forced prostitution).

But which politician is going to defend prostitution?

It's a dangerous and slippery slope to dictature of normalcy and political correctness.

The media and politics (western) fuel a dangerous cultural spiral, especially in Europe, leading to mediocrity and social egalitarianism, making laws against everything that deviates from the politically correct norms.

So, yes, okay, the media should report the truth... but the way they are reporting it influences the public's simple minds. By reporting only one side of the story, the media are guilty of manipulating public opinion.

P.S. current thai Laws do not completely ban prostitution, nobody can be prosecuted for selling one's own body (or buying it).

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

Figures concerning Prostitution in Thailand According to the "Focus edition” covering the subject "prostitution in Thailand” on the basis of a review (Platform from Michel Houellebecq) the Thai red-light branch turns over about 27 billion Dollar a year what is equal to approximately 14 % of the cross national income. In the meantime 28 % of the incomes of all northern Thai households is generated by prostitution. Prostitution in Thailand is much more widely spread as in the rich developed nations. Also plays in Thailand not the tourist-prostitution the superior role but love services are mainly absorbed by Thais and other Asians. Young Thais are collecting their first sexual experiences when visiting a brothel and for business people it a visit at the brothel is common by all means. Thus 95 % of all Thai men have experience with prostitutes, 4,6 million Thais, more than 1 million Malayan and other Asians are demanding sexual services. 400.000 Germans, which after the Brits and the US-Americans, come in third in the "country-ranking” of sex tourism meet their need for love services in Thailand ever year.

TBL, in my experience, the 'expats' who cry the loudest about 'prostitution' in Thailand are those who have filled their boots already, married a bargirl, and suddenly think they're a pillar of society.

Look at all of those ridiculous imbeciles playing at 'Rotarians' in Pattaya for evidence of this.

What a load of rubbish, I am married to a Thai and not an exbargirl that is for sure. I have never been with a prostitute and certainly would not touch one or definately not marry one. So you see we don't all fit your stereotype. Expats are tarnished with the sex industry brush just as all the clean good living females of Thailand. The sex industry is for a specific circle of thai girls and the expats that they attract just like drug dealers attract a certain customer so do prostitutes. It is a sleaze circle just as drugs are a criminal circle. Some expats have fallen on hard times where thier only hope is with a prostitute.

Edited by chooka

What a load of rubbish, I am married to a Thai and not an exbargirl that is for sure. I have never been with a prostitute and certainly would not touch one or definately not marry one. So you see we don't all fit your stereotype. Expats are tarnished with the sex industry brush just as all the clean good living females of Thailand. The sex industry is for a specific circle of thai girls and the expats that they attract just like drug dealers attract a certain customer so do prostitutes. It is a sleaze circle just as drugs are a criminal circle. Some expats have fallen on hard times where thier only hope is with a prostitute.

If you re-read your post you might just see how much of a snob you appear to be - to those who haven't got their head stuck up their arse.

• Like 2

If you re-read your post you might just see how much of a snob you appear to be - to those who haven't got their head stuck up their arse.

Who? Me or Chooka?

>What a load of rubbish, I am married to a Thai and not an exbargirl that is for sure. I have never been with a prostitute and certainly would not touch one or definately not marry one. So you see we don't all fit your stereotype. Expats are tarnished with the sex industry brush just as all the clean good living females of Thailand. The sex industry is for a specific circle of thai girls and the expats that they attract just like drug dealers attract a certain customer so do prostitutes. It is a sleaze circle just as drugs are a criminal circle. Some expats have fallen on hard times where thier only hope is with a prostitute.

I have zero problem with BGs or Prostitutes (as they also come outside your stereotype which suggests only Bar Girls are prostitutes); nor anyone who has wed one...until they begin to think they're above the rest of us who still enjoy a wallop down the bars.

Chooka clearly isn't a real 'expat' in the true sense of the word as most don't really care, nor need to post rants about how 'they've never married a prostitute, let alone been with one' to try and justify their existence here.

Our salaries usually do that for us.

Chooka, the one thing I do know about wannabe 'expats' in Thailand is they are on a continually fruitless quest for 'acceptance' here. It is something they'll never get. Seems like you're on that track too...

The easiest way to a good life here is just to roll with it, enjoy all the fruits Thailand has to offer and get over any sense of self importance you may think you have because the truth is that even Somchai the Street sweeper outranks you here...

I wasn't ranting but simply replying to your post where you said,

"TBL, in my experience, the 'expats' who cry the loudest about 'prostitution' in Thailand are "those who have filled their boots already, married a bargirl", and suddenly think they're a pillar of society.

I simply said I haven't been with a prostitute nor married one, so your stereotyping of expats is completely wrong. If having to endulge in a prostitute is what is required to be accepted as an expat by farangs then I am quite happy if other farangs do not consider me an expat.

I have my great extended Thai family and child and Thai friends with whom I am accepted in Thier country.

I couldn't care less who the prostitutes perform on, that is totally up to them and not my scene. These people can do what they like. I am definately not on a quest to be accepted by these people and I already have an excellent life here with all the good people the country has.