Driving In/around Pattaya

Simbo

I am on my second pickup truck since moving to Thailand, more than 4 years ago.

Initally, I used the same technique as the UK, only to find m/bikes running into me all the time. Even though, technically, I was in the right. Thais have adopted a style of their own, which I was forced to copy.

With my second truck. I have had only one slight collision, when a girl tried to undertake me, when I was turning into a parking bay at Lotus. A nice scratch on my passenger door, I asked her how she was going to pay. No money, no insurance. A Thai man sidled over, stood nearby. I asked the girl to park her bike so we could talk. The man whispered something to her, and she smartly rode off. I recall the exact same thing happening to me before, when a drunken biker, coming up the wrong way on Sukumvit, as I was crossing. He hit my front fender. Again, no money, no insurance. man strolls over, casually whispers to him. Off he goes, like a rocket.

I have never had a accident with another car, only bikes, and I have always had to pay myself.

I save my insurance for the BIG one, which in the law of averages, has to come. :o

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you watch the way Thais drive you can drive defensively to avoid accidents. For instance since Thais are always in a hurry to go nowhere, when you make a turen either left or right you must look out of both side mirrors to make sure someone hasn't decided to pass.

Barry

Yeah as Barry says, no time for dreaming when you drive here, you need to have an eye on each of your mirrors and everywhere around you. Don't take anything for granted. Just because someone is (or isn't) blinking doesn't mean they intend (or don't intend) to turn etc., always expect the unexpected.

Edited by madsere

Tell us, Gburns57au, about all those considerate Thai drivers you encounter on the road perchance :o

A lot of them driving bahtbusses, cement trucks, busses perchance?

Do we really need another thread about how bad the Thais drive in their own country compared to the way farangs drive in their own country. How many threads do we need to rehash the same old stories.... :D

<snip> How many threads do we need to rehash the same old stories.... :o

I agree, if we can look at the original issue regarding insurance rather than driving habbits, we will all be better off.

<snip> How many threads do we need to rehash the same old stories.... :o

I agree, if we can look at the original issue regarding insurance rather than driving habbits, we will all be better off.

The essence of the original posting related to the "style" of Thai drivers; the issue about insurance developed from that. The number of threads is really not important. Every one of us can post a topic for discussion and we have no control of how that topic will unfold.

Yes, everyone will "be better off" if the drivers, especially the Thais, showed a greater sense of social responsibility in their driving. I will give a "bah" also :D and also a ho hum. It makes me puke how you can stick up for these outlaws.

Do we really need another thread about how bad the Thais drive in their own country compared to the way farangs drive in their own country. How many threads do we need to rehash the same old stories.... :o

Why not, afaik this is a farang board huh. Bah to you too.

Edited by madsere

<snip> I asked her how she was going to pay. No money, no insurance. A Thai man sidled over, stood nearby. I asked the girl to park her bike so we could talk. The man whispered something to her, and she smartly rode off. I recall the exact same thing happening to me before, when a drunken biker, coming up the wrong way on Sukumvit, as I was crossing. He hit my front fender. Again, no money, no insurance. man strolls over, casually whispers to him. Off he goes, like a rocket.<snip>
The essence of the original posting related to the "style" of Thai drivers; the issue about insurance developed from that.<snip>

Isn't the OP talking about No Insurance ?

<snip> How many threads do we need to rehash the same old stories.... :D

The essence of the original posting related to the "style" of Thai drivers; the issue about insurance developed from that. The number of threads is really not important. Every one of us can post a topic for discussion and we have no control of how that topic will unfold.

Yes, everyone will "be better off" if the drivers, especially the Thais, showed a greater sense of social responsibility in their driving. I will give a "bah" also :D and also a ho hum. It makes me puke how you can stick up for these outlaws.

OIC.....sorry about that....I didnt realise that because Thais dont drive in the manner that you expect them to, then they are all outlaws......

Americans dont go to England and drive on the right hand side of the road...well most of them dont :D So why as a farang do you expect Thais to conform to your way of driving....you have to conform to theirs....for good or bad...if you cant then you will have accidents...

The old saying always comes to mind....if you dont like it then go back :o

<snip> How many threads do we need to rehash the same old stories.... :D

OIC.....sorry about that....I didnt realise that because Thais dont drive in the manner that you expect them to, then they are all outlaws......

Americans dont go to England and drive on the right hand side of the road...well most of them dont :D So why as a farang do you expect Thais to conform to your way of driving....you have to conform to theirs....for good or bad...if you cant then you will have accidents...

My ex Thai wife, who has lived in the Uk for over 20 years and is a model of driving propriety in that country, always reverts to 'Thai Style' driving when visiting Thailand. She claims that Thai drivers are much more skilled than English drivers and their way of driving is much better and safer. She would justify this remarkable statement by pointing out that in England, if you were overtaken on the left side (undertaken) there could well be an accident as you wouldn't be looking for anyone to do that, whereas in Thailand, the manouvre would not result in an accident, as everyone is expecting it! She claims the drivers are far more aware of such unexpected actions and can react much better than drivers in England. She could go on like this, ad finitum.

There is some truth in what she says - otherwise every road and soi in Thailand would be awash with wrecked cars and dead bodies.

So lets take farangs completely out of the argument - after all they must represent a very tiny percenatge of the driving population.

I don't have the numbers to hand, but even though many accidents are avoided thanks to the quick reactions of Thai drivers, the statistics overwhelmingly show that the number of road accidents in Thailand is one of the most appallling in the world, and the death count ,every day, is unacceptable by any civilised standards.

I personally don't know of anyone who has been killed in the UK as the result of a road accident. I can think of at least ten deaths over here of people I have personally known, including some very good friends. Most farangs who have lived here for even a short time have similar experiences

Of course many of the drivers here are bloody outlaws. ! :D The driving lessons are a joke, the driving test is a joke, traffic enforcement is a joke, car insurance is a joke, the courts are a joke... need I go on? :D

Now Mr gburns57au from sunny Australia, sir, does this pom have to go back home to my own wingeing kind? Sir? :D:D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

Yes you do.... :D

There are some civilised countries that have a worse death toll than Thailand..per head of population.

Your ex is quite right tho.....and does this not tell you something.....adjust to the driving practices of the country in which you are living.....Your ex understands this....why cant you??? :o

some (not all) of the worse drivers on the planet

the killers are the male only road demons

come from no where and leave you for dead

no feeling like a wild animal

worse part about this country for sure

also most dont know there are bright and normal headlight settings!

poor training you say?

cant think is what I say

bird brains no doubt

is it really smaller or just less in use?

Edited by ayakiawe

Driving in Thailand ..................... just deal with it & adapt....... simple realy......... on the matter of thai drivers being better......... well lets just say they have a certain style ....

Insurance Is priority no 1 for me there though ..... comprehensive

In 2004 approx 13,000 were killed in road accidents and a further 75,000 injured according to Thai police statistics with the total number of registered vehicles somewhere around the 22 million mark. In the UK 3,500 were killed with a recorded vehicle count of 32 million.

Perhaps the Thai are just not lucky or could it be that they are possibly the most cretinous bunch of drivers since Dastardly and Muttley hit the road?

There are some civilised countries that have a worse death toll than Thailand..per head of population.

Your ex is quite right tho.....and does this not tell you something.....adjust to the driving practices of the country in which you are living.....Your ex understands this....why cant you??? :o

So we all now need to drive like &lt;deleted&gt;, is that correct?

and play the odds game to see if you can live for the length of your journey.

The expression two wrongs don’t make a right come to mind. But that’s just me.

The joke about skill is just great, love it. :D

Sorry most Thai drivers, &lt;deleted&gt; idiots. loads and loads of dead idiots. :D

No personal digs at anyone just MO.

Have a safe drive home. :D

I stand to be corrected.

Before I book my ticket, would you mind naming one? :D

Thanks. :D

A very quick trawl through Google revealed that the annual death Toll in Thailand over a ten year period up to the early 2000,'s was in the region of 13000 - 16000 per annum.

A similar period in the UK (which has acomparable poulation, but much higher car ownership) showed a death toll of around 3000 - 4000 per anum

These are deaths. I think serious injuries or actual number of accidents would show an even greater imbalance. :o

gburns57au, I think I'll pass on adjusting to Thai driving practises. :D I'll be aware off them, but I won't adjust - I'd rather stay alive! :D

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

If you drive in any foreign country you have to moderate your driving habits to suit those of your new country.

I think that the main problem in Thailand is the number of people on the road without any form of instruction whatsoever - children riding motorcycles in particular. I see kids riding around on their parents' motorcy's without any guidance, no protective wear and in flip flops - then they head off up the highway in the wrong direction!

My wife wants to get a driving licence - a neighbour told her how to get one - but I insisted she learns to drive first, she is now taking lessons!

A very quick trawl through Google revealed that the annual death Toll in Thailand over a ten year period up to the early 2000,'s was in the region of 13000 - 16000 per annum.

A similar period in the UK (which has acomparable poulation, but much higher car ownership) showed a death toll of around 3000 - 4000 per anum

These are deaths. I think serious injuries or actual number of accidents would show an even greater imbalance. :o

gburns57au, I think I'll pass on adjusting to Thai driving practises. :D I'll be aware off them, but I won't adjust - I'd rather stay alive! :D

I think the high death rate on thai roads is mainly the sheer volume of motorcycles. If you removed them from the list, you would probably find car to car accidents equal to many western countries. It's really the bike riders that give me problems.

I think the high death rate on thai roads is mainly the sheer volume of motorcycles. If you removed them from the list, you would probably find car to car accidents equal to many western countries. It's really the bike riders that give me problems.

And not just on the roads, the other day I backed my CRV into the car port caught the handlebars of her motorbike and it fell over causing about 10k damage to the paintwork and body. Who ever said accidents happen mostly at home?

I stand to be corrected.

Before I book my ticket, would you mind naming one? :D

Thanks. :D

Look here

http://www.driveandstayalive.com/info%20se...capita-2004.htm

:D

I just did.

Thailand isn't listed :o

A bit like the rest of your arguments. :D

Exactly it didnt even rate a mention..... :D:D

Gburns, your arguments are foundless. Thailand didn't rate a mention primarily as Thailand isn't a member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development [OECD]. Also, using the 2004 death statistic of 13,000 people and a population of 64 million, the per capita death rate for Thailand is approximately 20...and have a look at those "civised" countries that have a worse per capita death rate.

post-3503-1141868005_thumb.jpg

Mr. Burns, that's nonsense and the rest of us know it. It's irresponsible and naive of you to suggest that, simply because we live and drive in Thailand, then we should conform to Thai driving standards and habits in order to avoid having accidents.

Just for interest, have a look at the International Road Traffic and Accident Database statistics for those 30 countries in the OECD. The UK holds out well, doesn't it?

post-3503-1141869564_thumb.jpg

Edited by Artisan

As stated before, it's the sheer volume of Motorcycles that inflates the figures.

Put that volume of Motorcycles on UK's roads and watch the death toll skyrocket.

I can't see how people can brand a whole Nation as being full of Bad drivers, that's not the case, it's individuals that are driving, not the whole population.

It's just another of the ' Them and Us ' attitudes by a minority group, ie Farangs. Yes there are bad drivers in Thailand, there are also bad drivers in other countries.

If a guy pulls out on you in UK, what do you think, all UK drivers are useless? No, because you may well be from UK yourself, and as Farangs, you must be good right?

When a Thai person pulls out on you in Thailand, you state that ALL Thai drivers are useless.

Typical farang attitude, very narrow minded.

Try walking in future, I'm sure you can do with losing the weight, cos ALL Farangs are fat, right? :o ( Do you see my point ? )