Do You Give Up Sit For Elderly While On Public Transportation?

upinthesky

On a recent ride on a bus, I saw a poor elderly woman grabbed the bar to prevent herself being throw off. The driver swung the bus in a zig zag motion and I was standing behind her. The funny thing is I often see people pretend to close their eyes while needy board the bus. Well it is their rights to give up or not for the sit, it is matter of courtesy.

Of course, should do this in any country. Although in Thailand, giving up seats for young children is as important in the thai mindset.

I find it a strange mindset as most young children can either sit on the lap of their mom or have enough stamina to stand. But ok different views.

I always do on the BTS or MRT. Seems like the right thing to do. If not I could almost feel the smack in the back of the head my Ma would give me. Funny thing is all the early 20 Thais that never move even for a monk.... Yep seen that first hand the older guy I gave my seat too offered it to the Monk. Odd socitey.

As for the close your eyes while on the BTS I refer it to ghost sleeping. Closing ones eyes makes it impossiable to lose face when you don't see the needy person.

When you reach my age, there are few elders to give a seat to. But I do enjoy seeing the looks on fellow passenger, when I offer my seat to a lady or someone who seems more needy than myself.

It is surprising how many nice conversations you can get into after a small display of courtesy.

THAT is a veeeeeeeeeery interesting and important topic... absolutely Thailand oriented, because that will NEVER happen in our western world whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

Thats not true. Here in Australia its considered rude not to give up a seat for elderly, the young and pregnant ladies also disabled people.

Must just be your country.

In Australia (in the West anyway) it's the law. If a disabled person or pregnant woman is not offered a seat the driver will stop the bus and not move until that person is seated. Children who refuse to give up their seat to an adult will be charged full fare. All buses carry signs to this effect.

THAT is a veeeeeeeeeery interesting and important topic... absolutely Thailand oriented, because that will NEVER happen in our western world whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

The OP never claimed it wouldn't happen in "our western world," did he?

Perhaps he he is new here and sees the all the wai's and hears all the kops and kas and wonders why courtesy seems to stop there.

Old folks, pregnant women, people with lots of luggage, kids, and families/couples who could sit together if I gave up my seat. Never had an opportunity to give one up for a Monk.

I hope Mom approves looking down from beyond....

I'm old enough that I often get offered seats in Korea, but never in BKK (or China) for some reason.

Edited by impulse

The old may look more needy than me. But i have been in agonising pain. I am not giving up a seat because somebody *looks* less fit. And i don't turn the evil eye on others who don't.

A labourer may have worked 18 hours hauling coals. He should not have to stand for an old lady who has foolishly caught the bus at rush hour despite having all the time in the World.

To show my lack of guilt--and to show the sedating effects of the powerful painkillers-- i always stare right at the person who expects my seat, so they know i have no guilt.

I always do on the BTS or MRT. Seems like the right thing to do. If not I could almost feel the smack in the back of the head my Ma would give me. Funny thing is all the early 20 Thais that never move even for a monk.... Yep seen that first hand the older guy I gave my seat too offered it to the Monk. Odd socitey.

As for the close your eyes while on the BTS I refer it to ghost sleeping. Closing ones eyes makes it impossiable to lose face when you don't see the needy person.

Even for a monk??

Elderly have weak bodies or hurt in the bones. Giving kids the seat is good because the mother can relax instead looking where they are jumping around and bother others.

But monks? Why? When you look at the young monks playing and buying video games in Panthip placa.....why they would deserve a seat more than an old person?

Edited by h90

I once stood up to let a lady with Parkinson's (I think) sit down and a young guy took my place. The whole bus heard my comments about the city I was in at the time. He did get up. This was in Lausanne, Switzerland.

I have been known to nudge bags off seats so that I can sit down, got away with it up to now. Positive, creative aggression.

However I am 65 and may have to think about cooling it some time soon.

I once stood up to let a lady with Parkinson's (I think) sit down and a young guy took my place. The whole bus heard my comments about the city I was in at the time. He did get up. This was in Lausanne, Switzerland.

I have been known to nudge bags off seats so that I can sit down, got away with it up to now. Positive, creative aggression.

However I am 65 and may have to think about cooling it some time soon.

No. don't cool it. Keep up the spirit!