F1 Malaysian Grand Prix

UKJASE

hey guys... we are booked up to fly to KL on friday 22nd for the grand prix....

has any one on here been before? any tips for us??

we have looked at tickets and the price varies from 1100B to 22000B.... the cheap seats are on the hill stand it says on the site C1, C3 and K2 are the stands

any one knjow which of these are the best areas for the day? or is it worth bumping up to C2 hillstand, which are 2000B each??

should we buy tickets on the website before, or is it easy to buy them on the day from the touts at a reduced price???

gonna be a great weekend we hope.... even if it rains it should add to the race excitement..... just hope the mrs enjoys F1 :)

Make sure you're going in MARCH, I just had to check I'd not missed something important smile.png

The uncovered hillstands are fine if you don't mind sitting on the grass, take a beach brolly or a good sunhat or you'll end up toast. You can see quite a lot of the circuit from the C area but there's only a TV in front of the covered C stands. Last time we went we were in the F stand.

Take earplugs F1 is LOUD.

Enjoy smile.png

We were at the Moto GP in October, and the Hillstands are definitely good value for money - we were in the main grandstand but the Moto GP is much cheaper than F1!!!

Expect rain - the MotoGP race was stopped after 9 laps. Adds more thrills and spectacular spills.

Also make sure you arrange transport back to KL or your hotel before you go to Sepang, as it is a nightmare trying to get a taxi outside.

If you're staying in KL expect to pay around 350-400 RGT (100usd) for a return taxi fare to Sepang. KL has some excellent places to visit.

I have been a few times in recent years and was in the covered Hillstand in 2009 when the GP was rained off half way through. I have seats at the end of the main straight this year - half price if booked online before New Year - really good value

I would recommend you go for the covered Hillstand rather than open area as it gives you an option in case of rain which is highly likely at some point during weekend. View is also slightly better than uncovered area. The views at Sepang are great as you can see around one third of the track from any of the spectator areas. You can probably get tickets for that area on the day but I wold buy in advance as it saves the hassle and the price is not that expensive online

Take earplugs - it is extremely loud, although the hill stand is not as loud as the grandstand where the noise really reverberates.

In previous years they had Kangaroo Mini TV sets available for hire in the main stand area which were a great way of following the race but they weren't available last time I was there in2011

I usually take the KLIA express from KL sentral train station and they have buses from KLIA to Sepang. Takes about 1 hr from downtown. Getting back to KL after the race finishes can be somewhat chaotic as traffic is bad but I have always managed to get on a bus outside the main entrance. You can pay a large fee to a taxi driver to collect you but you will still be stuck in the traffic like everybody else

• Like 1

Agree with just about everything bkkbarnstormer has said. Covered hillstand is a great option and exceptional value.

They sell these headphones which reduce the noise and act as a radio, making it easier to follow what's going on. I got a set free the first time I went or I'd have never considered buying them but they are very useful.

• Like 1

Agree with just about everything bkkbarnstormer has said. Covered hillstand is a great option and exceptional value.

They sell these headphones which reduce the noise and act as a radio, making it easier to follow what's going on. I got a set free the first time I went or I'd have never considered buying them but they are very useful.

Madmitch- thanks for reminder. Think I have Set of headphones stashed in the cupboard from a couple of years ago. Will have to dig them out again for this year

Unless money is an issue i'd get a seat. If you don't want a seat, then go with C2. It's shaded, but it's really crowded and you'll have get there early for a good spot under the shade. Also, keep in mind it's a bit of a walk from the main entrance. I sat in F stand last time. It's a good spot, but you'll need to take the courtesy bus to get there and back. I think K1 is the best option.

You don't need earplugs unless you're on the straight, and even then you'll probably only wear them after it becomes a bit repetitive.

Unless money is an issue i'd get a seat. If you don't want a seat, then go with C2. It's shaded, but it's really crowded and you'll have get there early for a good spot under the shade. Also, keep in mind it's a bit of a walk from the main entrance. I sat in F stand last time. It's a good spot, but you'll need to take the courtesy bus to get there and back. I think K1 is the best option.

You don't need earplugs unless you're on the straight, and even then you'll probably only wear them after it becomes a bit repetitive.

how much of a walk is it hulky?? i will be cool with it, but taking the thai mrs along and she aint massively into walking.... also when u say "get there early"..... how long before the race starts do you mean? is one hour before enough time to get a spot in the shade??

thanks for all the great advice guys...... gonna get online and get my tickets today for C2 i think

Yes , undercover is the way to go! Why sit in the open in the heat and pouring rain, because thats what you will get on the hills !

hey guys

we are just about to book our tickets and i looked at the prices here on the official formula 1 site and they are about 2100B

http://uktickets.formula1.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=tsdt&stat=5&flgc=0&loid=180008&ofid=17406&sdat=22/03/2013&edat=24/03/2013&wtid=28&rfrr=Malaysia&mdpcid=wwte.uk.300-30004.mnc.tsh.trv.&eapid=300-30004

then i did a quick google search, and tickets direct from sepang circuit website are 1200B

http://www.sepangcircuit.com/eticket/f1/index-hs.html

nearly half price!! do you think these are the same tickets and i will have no problems from buying direct from sepang circuit site??

i noticed also it says on teh site Friday "is a free entry day to all seat zones"

does that mean we can go into the posh seats for a few photos and have a good nose around the stadium???

access all areas.....

hey guys

we are just about to book our tickets and i looked at the prices here on the official formula 1 site and they are about 2100B

http://uktickets.formula1.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=tsdt&stat=5&flgc=0&loid=180008&ofid=17406&sdat=22/03/2013&edat=24/03/2013&wtid=28&rfrr=Malaysia&mdpcid=wwte.uk.300-30004.mnc.tsh.trv.&eapid=300-30004

then i did a quick google search, and tickets direct from sepang circuit website are 1200B

nearly half price!! do you think these are the same tickets and i will have no problems from buying direct from sepang circuit site??

Please let me know how purchasing these tickets goes as I may go myself.

hey guys

Please let me know how purchasing these tickets goes as I may go myself.

tickets booked, and the sepang website seemed fine

the price for 2 in the covered stand for all 3 days was 246 MR.... so about 2400B. this included booking fees and everything

the price in the non covered stand is as low as 600B for the three days..... and that includes access all areas on friday practice day..... great value

flights to KL are cheap too, so it looks like a great value long weekend.... i cant wait

how much of a walk is it hulky?? i will be cool with it, but taking the thai mrs along and she aint massively into walking.... also when u say "get there early"..... how long before the race starts do you mean? is one hour before enough time to get a spot in the shade??

thanks for all the great advice guys...... gonna get online and get my tickets today for C2 i think

From the main entrance maybe a brisk 15-20 minutes to walk it. I watched from C3 and C2 in 2000 and 2003, so my memory is a little fuzzy. It was brutally hot and dripping with sweat. If the missus hates walking she won't like it. There's a courtesy bus but I have only taken it to the back of the circuit, though I'm pretty sure it stops close to C2.

In 2003 I rocked up about 30 minutes before the race and stood at the back of C2. I'm tall so had a good view, but you're standing the whole time basically.

• Like 1

hey guys

I bought mine from the Sepang circuit site. They send you a pdf file and you print it out.

• Like 1

i noticed also it says on teh site Friday "is a free entry day to all seat zones"

does that mean we can go into the posh seats for a few photos and have a good nose around the stadium???

access all areas.....

Yeah you can sit on the pit straight, hairpin, wherever. Hardly anyone turns up which makes it even better not having to deal with any crowds.

• Like 1

its crap,do not bother,wetter than wet,poor observation spots. If you have to go take a tunable Walkman to tune into race commentary,and buy tickets at the site cheaper

I went 4 years ago (2009) & was a good weekend even though it was stopped early for rain. Miles cheaper than uk racing - there is no pleasing some folk !!

• Like 1

its crap,do not bother,wetter than wet,poor observation spots. If you have to go take a tunable Walkman to tune into race commentary,and buy tickets at the site cheaper

I went 4 years ago (2009) & was a good weekend even though it was stopped early for rain. Miles cheaper than uk racing - there is no pleasing some folk !!

Totally agree; I was at that race as well.

If you really want to see a track with poor observation try Singapore. Unless you are prepared to pay a small fortune for the top seats.

Poor observation spots?? You can see about 30-40% of the track from most stands blink.png

It's only been red flagged for rain twice since the inception of the Grand Prix in 1999. Hardly ever rains on race day. Perception doesn't equal reality. Last year, qualifying for the British Grand Prix was red flagged for 90 minutes because of rain. 2011 Canadian Grand Prix was red flagged for two hours because of rain.

• Like 1

Poor observation spots?? You can see about 30-40% of the track from most stands blink.png

It's only been red flagged for rain twice since the inception of the Grand Prix in 1999. Hardly ever rains on race day. Perception doesn't equal reality. Last year, qualifying for the British Grand Prix was red flagged for 90 minutes because of rain. 2011 Canadian Grand Prix was red flagged for two hours because of rain.

I would not go if I was paid...poor observation spots? see 30 to 40% from most stands?,right what about the 60 to 70% your missing,and the giant TV screen? take a powerful telescope just to see the screen,small is the operative word. Thanks Ill watch it fron a bar somewhere,keeping dry., If its washed out this time it was suggested there they will do a Singapore and night time it

No need to use the overpriced dedicated transport to the track,all the airport buses go past the stadium,just tell the driver you want off. Taxis,hail one that's already moving in the street,or you will be thrashed with price with a standing one. Some cheap good hotels other side of Times Sq on the metro link. Good luck anyway,nothing like clambering aboard returning bus to KL from a days viewing,wet through and a freezing cold AC bus

I would not go if I was paid...poor observation spots? see 30 to 40% from most stands?,right what about the 60 to 70% your missing,and the giant TV screen? take a powerful telescope just to see the screen,small is the operative word. Thanks Ill watch it fron a bar somewhere,keeping dry., If its washed out this time it was suggested there they will do a Singapore and night time it

you are not one of those people that dissolve when it rains are you Pinfold?? :)

only joking man, cheers for the travel advice.... we are really looking forward to it now.... i have always enjoyed watching it on the TV so will be great to go and experience the atmosphere of it too..... although i am well aware we probably wont have a clue who won / crashed / started until we watch the re run on TV (and i reckon the wife is gonna hate it!) :)

• 4 weeks later...

Poor observation spots?? You can see about 30-40% of the track from most stands :blink:

you are not one of those people that dissolve when it rains are you Pinfold?? :)

only joking man, cheers for the travel advice.... we are really looking forward to it now.... i have always enjoyed watching it on the TV so will be great to go and experience the atmosphere of it too..... although i am well aware we probably wont have a clue who won / crashed / started until we watch the re run on TV (and i reckon the wife is gonna hate it!) :)

Great race this year with just a sprinkling of rain before the start to make things a bit more exciting. Watched it from K1 stand at the end of the main straight. Highly recommended and not too loud since the cars have slowed down for turns 1 and 2 as they go past. Favourite pic of the day was Alonso crashing out - taken from my seat using a utility 270mm zoom. Hope to be back next year. Don't forget to check for half price tickets from Sepang website in December!post-98662-0-49634700-1364633596_thumb.j Edited by bkkbarnstormer

• 2 weeks later...

gee man - what an amazing photo!!!

we were on hill stand C2 and it was real good for the money..... we could walk around a fair bit and so could watch the race from different parts of the track...... the atmosphere was good here too, and the transport laid on within sepang to get us to our stand was more than adequate

we were unaware which of the red bulls had won though as the race finished (as the screen was too far away), so this meant we could watch it in the hotel later, not knowing the result :)

a great day had by all, and the wife really enjoyed it too

Sounds good - I wish I'd been there.

I've been promising myself Sepang for about twelve years now, ever since I was transiting KL airport on race weekend and I was put in a hotel where many of the support staff were housed. The place was buzzing (I don't remember what day it was, but it must have been the Friday or Saturday night) and there were flyers lying around with ticket prices. I thought it looked very reasonable compared with what I've heard about Silverstone prices, and I've always liked the track layout..

Obviously, I haven't made it to a race yet. Life does have a habit of getting in the way of plans, unfortunately...

But I will make it there one day soon!