The Hippie Trail......

theblether

I noticed a comment on the Hand To Mouth thread about the amount of farangs who were living like that back in the 60's / 70's. It got me thinking about the kind of people who would have been wandering about SE Asia at that time and it occurred to me that there must have been a fair few Hippies, however!! when I had a look at the original Hippie Trail it seemed to terminate in Northern India / Nepal.

Where was the Thai / SE Asia Hippie Trail? Did any of you guys go on it? and outside of Pai, where is the current Hippie Trail?.

• Like 1

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crazy.gif My authentic hippie memories -- the only thing of interest to hippies about Thailand back then was Thai Stick. Not that Thai Stick was chopped liver though. crazy.gif

No, not talking about rice noodles.

Much more interest in India and amazingly Afghanistan.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Never mind all this plastic hippie <deleted>, the stones etc.

Lay back fire one up and set your controls for the heart of the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewxNZVDDph4

Lemmy playing like a God.

Lemmy and the lads were so poor they used to cadge cups of tea in the Mountain Grill cafe......

Now where did I put that LP?

Great music IMHO.

Never mind all this plastic hippie <deleted>, the stones etc.

Lay back fire one up and set your controls for the heart of the sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewxNZVDDph4

Lemmy playing like a God.

Lemmy and the lads were so poor they used to cadge cups of tea in the Mountain Grill cafe......

Now where did I put that LP?

Great music IMHO.

X 2 smoking a dubie

crazy.gif My authentic hippie memories -- the only thing of interest to hippies about Thailand back then was Thai Stick. Not that Thai Stick was chopped liver though. crazy.gif

No, not talking about rice noodles.

Much more interest in India and amazingly Afghanistan.

I visited "freak street" in Nepal about 10 years ago. Still a few long hairs walking around, but pretty commercialized now. Haven't been to Goa, but would like to just to check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie_trail

The hippie trail was the journey taken by hippies and others in the 1960s and 1970s from Europe overland to and from southern Asia, mainly India and Nepal.

Can't remember the author, but he's quite famous and took a trip from the UK to Afghanistan in a VW van back in the 60's. I've read excerpts. Sounded like an amazing trip. Something that obviously could not be replicated now. sad.png

Man ... like you, I was born in the 60's.

Some will drop by and share their youth soon I hope ... I really like listening to the old-timers regal their youth (no disrespect meant by that)

Phuket.jpg

Images and memories like this?

Nice picture! Little strange to see that they made cocktail buses in dull gray colors back then.

the Blether....memories are flooding back of the sixties, since reading your post.

No Matter where we all were, and what we were doing, you would have to agree, that was definitely the best era to be in...

The "Nimbin Hippies" were the most creative in my area...to a point where it became a tourist attraction.

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif Depending on the direction you were going the route was from Europe to Iran, then Afghanistan, maybe to Nepal and India.

Burma was pretty much closed off to backpackes so you had to splurge for a flight into Thailand.

Or from Aussie to Europe if you liked that direction.

There was a big beach thing in Phuket ... sleeping in a hut on the beach for a couple of dollars a night.... 5 or 6 to a palm thatched hut with no electricity except a few hours a night and no air conditioning of course.

Barbecued fish on the beach from the local fishermen.

From there down to Malaysia by train and through Malaysia to Singapore.

Hopefully you still had the money for a flight from Singapore to Bali, Indonesia, or Austrailia if you had parents to bankroll you.

Used to be Aussie girls in Singapore who were willing to accompany anyone that looked interesting enough for a week or so. The cost was a one way t icket to Aussie land.

I never did it, but my friend John was from a wealthy family in Beverly Hills, California. They bankrolled him for two years travel on the Hippie Trail.

John was nobody's fool .... he learned everthing he could about Indonesia .... and later opened a high-so shop in Beverly hills selling high quality Batik and jewelry from Indonesia and Southeast Asia to very rich people at 300 to 500 percent more than he bought it in Asia.

The last time I saw him there were two Bentlys and a Rolls parked in his garage.But I rhink he went bust later in the 90's

Not all long haired hippie backpackers were dumb, just unlucky later.

I was born in 1946 ... but my family was poor.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Man ... like you, I was born in the 60's.

Some will drop by and share their youth soon I hope ... I really like listening to the old-timers regal their youth (no disrespect meant by that)

Phuket.jpg

Images and memories like this?

Nice picture! Little strange to see that they made cocktail buses in dull gray colors back then.

I think Thai Airways are still using that plane.

There was a program on UK TV a few years ago about a guy who started the bus trips for backpacker he just bought old bus's and started a business taken people around what was to become the Hippy trail is was interesting and of course many problems but all part of the adventure.

From what I have read it was the r&r visits for the troops from the Vietnam war that kick started the tourist industry in Thailand I remember a few years back there was a black and white film clip on utube taken in a bar somewhere in Thailand you could hear the jukebox playing the Supremes and the young Thai women looking like them sadly it's not on utube anymore but it was good stuff.

rolleyes.gif Depending on the direction you were going the route was from Europe to Iran, then Afghanistan, maybe to Nepal and India.

Burma was pretty much closed off to backpackes so you had to splurge for a flight into Thailand.

Or from Aussie to Europe if you liked that direction.

There was a big beach thing in Phuket ... sleeping in a hut on the beach for a couple of dollars a night.... 5 or 6 to a palm thatched hut with no electricity except a few hours a night and no air conditioning of course.

Barbecued fish on the beach from the local fishermen.

From there down to Malaysia by train and through Malaysia to Singapore.

Hopefully you still had the money for a flight from Singapore to Bali, Indonesia, or Austrailia if you had parents to bankroll you.

Used to be Aussie girls in Singapore who were willing to accompany anyone that looked interesting enough for a week or so. The cost was a one way t icket to Aussie land.

I never did it, but my friend John was from a wealthy family in Beverly Hills, California. They bankrolled him for two years travel on the Hippie Trail.

John was nobody's fool .... he learned everthing he could about Indonesia .... and later opened a high-so shop in Beverly hills selling high quality Batik and jewelry from Indonesia and Southeast Asia to very rich people at 300 to 500 percent more than he bought it in Asia.

The last time I saw him there were two Bentlys and a Rolls parked in his garage.But I rhink he went bust later in the 90's

Not all long haired hippie backpackers were dumb, just unlucky later.

I was born in 1946 ... but my family was poor.

whistling.gif

What years are you posting about?

I wanted to be a hippie soldier like the guy in the photo but my CO gave me five bucks (MPC actually) a week to get a haircut at the Dragon Ladies haircut and boom boom and massage emporium. So I took the path of least resistance and got a haircut and my fatigues custom tailored and starched and ironed and changed them three times a day.

post-73727-0-97661400-1361243035_thumb.j

Around 1973 I was, young student after my baccalaureate at Istanbul, close to Sultanahmet, at the already famous Pudding Shop. Area from where the "Magic Bus" departed, once full, to Afghanistan and to India and Nepal. I was too poor to afford a trip like that and only looked with envy at the hippies waiting, sometimes a week, the bus was full and ready to leave.

492881517_8b5832d9da_z.jpg

Magic Bus Istanbul 1976 by Rory MacLean, on Flickr

Graham Bourne, driver for the original Magic Bus Company, outside the Pudding Shop in Istanbul. Bourne said, 'Bozo the bus was fine old plodder that never gave me any trouble. I miss the freedom she provided.'

photographer: Graham Bourne 1976 (on loan to the Asia Overland Hippie Trail Archive)

• Like 2

Did the true "hippies" even know HOW to find their way out of California? I doubt if most could even afford the price of a plane ticket.

If they could't find their way out of California they would never have made it here. Though Uncle Sam gave a few of them free rides here. Many tried to maintain contqct with home by using smoke signals as they were into limited technology.

Edited by harrry

@harrry. So true, it's comical and a little bit sad to see the constant stream of backpackers wandering around the streets with their noses pressed into Lonely Planet. Most of the places they arrive in are farang ghettos, so they ain't getting any taste of Thailand at all.

• Like 1