Info About Schools Required!

Claude,with your experience with the schools here for different age groups,could you advise on a good kindergarten.(what age would the child start at one?)

I only know Lipa Noi Kindergarten just after the bridge, I have no other experience. They start tomorrow, the children in the group are 3 years. When they are 4 years, they have to move to Wat Jeang Kindergarten.

PIKE, thanx for your charming comments about my person in another topic!

Dobn't worry about it Claude, Pike's mirror was broken that day. :o:D:D:D

Claude,with your experience with the schools here for different age groups,could you advise on a good kindergarten.(what age would the child start at one?)

I only know Lipa Noi Kindergarten just after the bridge, I have no other experience. They start tomorrow, the children in the group are 3 years. When they are 4 years, they have to move to Wat Jeang Kindergarten.

PIKE, thanx for your charming comments about my person in another topic!

Dobn't worry about it Claude, Pike's mirror was broken that day. :o:D:D:D

Yes, i was having a bad day,anyway,cheers for the info!

Can somebody give an overwiew about "interational schools" on Samui, websites and their prices per year?

That is an easy question.

Answer: None.

My advice, as soon as you kids really have to start learning (6 years and older), and with that i mean another system than root learning, your only option is to leave Samui and settle in Chonburi or Bangkok. And be prepared to bring a big bundle of money. Or return back home and enjoy free or cheap real education. Once the kids are on their own come back for a well deserved retirement. In the meantime, a few holidays to Thailand will be nice.

Ever wonder why Thai people with some money send their children abroad?

And for anyone wondering why i left Thailand. Main reason, Childrens education! Could not find anything even approaching education levels in the western world. Even not for high prices (50000 - 150000 baht per month!!)

Do your children a favor! Either be able to tutor your child privately, or leave Thailand.

Khun Jean,with all due respect you have been away from the island for a long time now.So before you comment along your famous lines of Samui bashing, please do your homework.As for your reason for leaving Samui well the story changes every time,from people burning rubbish on the beach, to being muscled out of business & so on.Now this is the first time I hear you talk about yor kids education.As the lat poster stated there is a school on Samui,albeit maybe not to your high all mighty standards by all means, but there is an answer for local people.

I admit leaving Samui for the reasons you mentioned and several other reasons. Leaving THAILAND is because my childrens education.

The question was about an 'international' school and to my knowledge there is and never has been an international school on Samui. Only an attempt.

My "high all mighty standard by all means" is a save environment and education comparable with just a normal free school somewhere in Europe. Not that high really.

Not too much to ask for your children i think. I can offer my children better education in better environments because i am able to live in many different places. Why not use that 'freedom' for the childrens benefit. I see many posters bashing Samui all the time. I at least left the place.

Actually, if his children's education was the paramount reason for moving somewhere else then I don't see any reason to criticize him for putting his kids welfare first.

• 1 month later...

Hi again, the advise for families moving to Samui is go there on a long holiday first - say 3 months and see. Its was a nightmare for me as a foreign female but heaven for my son and husband. Absolutely no law and order especially the foreigners and no good international schools.

I wouldnt move there but I would go on holiday there evry year, which i do!

All the best!

I HIGHLY recommend you take a look at Bluewater. www.bluewatersamui.com

They really seem to have it together and they use the same curriculum that is used in the UK and all teachers have the Qualified Teaching Status which means they could teach back in the UK if they wanted too. I have visited the school and have been very impressed and now they are moving to some very nice new buildings are about to really open it up with a library, PC area, arts and crafts room, etc. The headmaster Jeremy does not put money first but the children first which then brings the money they need to do it right.

Go and see for yourself it is where I would put my child if I had one (that I knew about ;-).

PA

• 2 months later...

I live on Koh Samui & have a 4 year old son. He is half Thai half British & we have put him into Oong Rak school near Nathon where he is very happy. The school facilities are excellent and everything in the place always seems brand new. The staff are also very pleasant. The kids are a mix of Thai, half Thai & some western. His language skills (both Thai & English) are progressing very well & the school offers a good, rounded curriculum which has the kids personal contentment as well as his academic skills high on the agenda. It costs 50,000 Baht/ term, and in my opinion is worth every penny.

I noticed some comments on this thread stating there were no decent international schools on Samui. Certainly for a child of 2.5 years this is NOT the case. There are several.

I live on Koh Samui & have a 4 year old son. He is half Thai half British & we have put him into Oong Rak school near Nathon where he is very happy. The school facilities are excellent and everything in the place always seems brand new. The staff are also very pleasant. The kids are a mix of Thai, half Thai & some western. His language skills (both Thai & English) are progressing very well & the school offers a good, rounded curriculum which has the kids personal contentment as well as his academic skills high on the agenda. It costs 50,000 Baht/ term, and in my opinion is worth every penny.

I noticed some comments on this thread stating there were no decent international schools on Samui. Certainly for a child of 2.5 years this is NOT the case. There are several.

Thanks for the information.

Do you know up to what age the children can stay at this school ?

Is it 3 terms per year ?

Is transport provided ?