1 Pound + 44.99 Baht

Will history repeat, Maybe.

Rather than being penalised for working and saving, Why not stop giving benefits to those who are not living or spending In the U.K More benefit cuts are needed, Why should we keep people that are not living In the UK?

Window tax, now bedroom tax What are you views on this?

Anyone?

If such a policy is imposed a lot of UK farangs will be forced to return to UK. I can't foresee any negative effect on Thailand for this. Probably will increase numbers in poverty in UK who might be eligible for more benefits.

Be careful what you wish for.

I disagree, Many would not want to come back.

Almost 50,000 children living abroad are receiving benefits claimed

by immigrant families based in Britain, figures have revealed.

Just under 30,000 families are claiming child benefits and tax credit

for offspring who live outside the country but within the EU, as well

as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Poland is home to the highest number of children in the region who

are receiving benefits claimed in Britain with more than half the total –

25,659 – receiving welfare.

taxpayers are losing out to the tune of nearly £40 million because EU

nationals are claiming Child Benefit for children living abroad.

Edited by Will1

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will history repeat, Maybe.

Rather than being penalised for working and saving, Why not stop giving benefits to those who are not living or spending In the U.K More benefit cuts are needed, Why should we keep people that are not living In the UK?

Window tax, now bedroom tax What are you views on this?

Anyone?

If such a policy is imposed a lot of UK farangs will be forced to return to UK. I can't foresee any negative effect on Thailand for this. Probably will increase numbers in poverty in UK who might be eligible for more benefits.

Be careful what you wish for.

I disagree, Many would not want to come back.

Almost 50,000 children living abroad are receiving benefits claimed

by immigrant families based in Britain, figures have revealed.

Just under 30,000 families are claiming child benefits and tax credit

for offspring who live outside the country but within the EU, as well

as Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

Poland is home to the highest number of children in the region who

are receiving benefits claimed in Britain with more than half the total –

25,659 – receiving welfare.

taxpayers are losing out to the tune of nearly £40 million because EU

Off topic perhaps?

Off topic perhaps?

Read back though this thread, What lead to this discussion?

How are you finding the 44.99, As you are living on this?

How are you finding the 44.99, As you are living on this?

I live on the price of gold which has also not done too well either for quite a while TBH. Still, the projected outlay for Q1 (2013) is lower than both Q4 (2012) and Q1 (2012) so I'm doing fine thank you. It will certainly be lower than Q1 (2012) but I could lose out on Q4 (2012) because I increased my liquidity just before the US elections in case Romney won. Some fella going around town with a 4T credit card that has to be maxed out in 4 years was going to send the stocks wild! However, it didn't happen so I took a hit. All in all things are very good and if the GBP-THB does hit 35 then it will hit those on my Will rather than me.

Off topic perhaps?

Xenophobic, definitely

Xenophobia is a dislike or fear of people from other countries or of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange. Wrong

I married one, Cowboy

Exeter, I didn't pick BA because it was the cheapest - I picked it simply because it was British Airways. The argument made by one wag earlier was that I wouldnt see a queue out at Swampy because 'many Brits wouldnt be able to afford a ticket home based on the current exchange rate !'.

By nominating a higher figure than you might pay to fly with another carrier, I believe I've covered the bases. I've made it public in several threads that the day my net worth is less than 10K baht cash, the exit bag comes out of the bottom drawer and its Adios, Amigos (the money is for a last meal and a bottle of Mehkong - the rest will be left for the unfortunate person who finds my carcass). No calls to the Consulate, no hanging around Patts or BKK panhandling - go out with my boots on. I know that prospect rankles many here, but nowhere near as much as the sight of destitute Farang rankles me. Fly home and rejoin the nanny state ? No thanks, but that's a personal decision. Till then, live every day as thought it WAS your last ! :D

What would 220 pounds buy you in London in 2013 ?

10,000.00 THB =

224.146 GBP

• Like 2

Personally, I think we will see the Thai baht reach around THB35 : £1 and at that point, we will either see the pound strengthen and the Thai economy weaken.

As far as the UK economy is going, theres not that much bad news around at the moment.

Europe is getting its house in some sort of new order.

America has just seen the Dow Jones reach record levels.

Reposessions are the lowest since 2008

Interest rates are at historic lows

Inflation is around 2.5% and falling

Perhaps in 3 years time, we will be back to an economic state of around 2002 in the UK.

I agree with your guess of GBP bottoming at THB 35.

However, I don't see good news for UK economy. It will take more than 3 years. The UK oil bubble has burst and oil imports will increase every year as production declines and more oil needs to be imported. The oil bubble from around 1985 to 2005 forced up GBP and caused a lot of manufacturing to die off due to high GBP rendering them uncompetitive.

My guess. 20 years to improve UK economy and get GBP back up to 40-45 to THB. GBP will never get back to 70 THB.

Will be interesting to keep this thread in 10 years time :)

If the exchange rate goes 35, then I will 'try' and sell my real estate which I purchased at 68 :)

Personally, I think we will see the Thai baht reach around THB35 : £1 and at that point, we will either see the pound strengthen and the Thai economy weaken.

As far as the UK economy is going, theres not that much bad news around at the moment.

Perhaps in 3 years time, we will be back to an economic state of around 2002 in the UK.

However, I don't see good news for UK economy. It will take more than 3 years. The UK oil bubble has burst and oil imports will increase every year as production declines and more oil needs to be imported. The oil bubble from around 1985 to 2005 forced up GBP and caused a lot of manufacturing to die off due to high GBP rendering them uncompetitive.

My guess. 20 years to improve UK economy and get GBP back up to 40-45 to THB. GBP will never get back to 70 THB.

Will be interesting to keep this thread in 10 years time smile.png

If the exchange rate goes 35, then I will 'try' and sell my real estate which I purchased at 68 smile.png

I also bought at 66, And enjoying having rent In Thai baht cashed In pounds

Our final installment in Sept 2008 for our house build was transferred at 71bht to the pound. Very lucky to have built then as I know a couple of farangs whose wives have bought land but can't now afford to build on it!

If the exchange rate goes 35, then I will 'try' and sell my real estate which I purchased at 68 smile.png

lets see what the "never buy but rent " brigade has to say about that now

Our final installment in Sept 2008 for our house build was transferred at 71bht to the pound. Very lucky to have built then as I know a couple of farangs whose wives have bought land but can't now afford to build on it!

The real question is : can you afford to sell it ? Let's hope that day never comes.

lets see what the "never buy but rent " brigade has to say about that now

If you spent all you money on a property, but no longer have enough money to live ..... it's not good. Selling can take years.

That's if your wife doesn't just dump you (no money) and keep the house (her house).

But the 1M bht you spent on the house, could have lasted as your living expenses for two or three more years.

Running out of money in Thailand is no fun, house or not, you will still be going home with nothing.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

Tommo - great news. matey - I've just drawn up a budget that should see me burn through that first million baht a whole lot faster than '2 or 3 years'. I'm still working on some of the details, but I have to say that right now I'm pretty damned excited by the possibilities. There is definitely a novel in there, and possibly film rights to follow. Don't touch that dial !

When I first came to Thailand ! Pound = 36 Baht

Yep, in and around 1984-85 same as me.

In 1988 it was 44 Baht to the pound.

Ten years on:-

In late 1997-8 it was over 90 Baht to the pound due to the ThaiTanic in the Baht.

So we are back to the 1988 rate then. coffee1.gif

Win thumbsup.gif

Oh I remember well those few days at 90. But then it stayed 70-65 for a long time. Happy Days

The real question is : can you afford to sell it ? Let's hope that day never comes.

I thnk trying to sell property in Thailand is not easy, everyone wants a brand new build not your house/condo etc, thats my experience anyway

I thnk trying to sell property in Thailand is not easy, everyone wants a brand new build not your house/condo etc, thats my experience anyway

I find that is very true about Houses but not about Condo's

Maybe because so many new housing developments but also because

foreigners can own condos & their availability is more limited.

( due to affordable units & also the 49% of each building rule )

Edited by mania

...Off topic perhaps?

Xenophobic, definitely
Lord Lucan, living as recluse is Koh Chang perhaps, who would have thought of looking for him there?

A mere passing resemblance.

A mere uncanny passing resemblance.

I should've kept the stetson on...

Funny you should say that as it's currently on the market but only because there's a chance to buy some fabulous land next to the River Kwai.

I'll only start to consider my options here in Thailand if the pound hits 30bht!

Some are gonna hate me for this, but since I get paid in Thai baht, the spending power for my upcoming month long vacation home to blighty is becoming more and more economical for me by the day. So right now, the plummeting pound suits me just fine. Moreso since I booked my round trip ticket back in December. rolleyes.gif

Same story here, getting richer by the dayclap2.gif

The worst is probably over. I expect the £ to back near 50 baht later this year. You know the bottom is near when it's all over the press, and when people start asking questions like how low can it go. Of course, it can go a lot lower, but I doubt it will. UK isn't in too bad shape compared to other countries, and the fall in the £ has been overdone. Going to send half my Thai baht back to UK this week and early next week, then transfer back at a later date.

• Like 1

OK,clever boys. So which country do I retire to now?

Read the Cambo thread - I doubt you will be any better informed at the end than you were at the beginning, but it will give a very good idea of what I'm saying when I tell you that this is the last group you should be asking that question. Just get on a plane and spend a month in country - nothing wrong with forumers swapping stories about their own experience in Cambo, but its a poor substitute for going there yourself.

• Like 2

Do you think we should be worried?

President Nixon ended the Bretton Woods agreement on 15th August 1971, which was a worldwide agreement to use the US dollar as the only world reserve currency. The exchange rates between foreign currencies and the US dollar were fixed at a low rate to stimulate economies worldwide. Moreover foreign holders could redeem their dollars for gold at a fixed rate of $ 35 per ounce.

Initially 75% of the US monetary base was backed by gold, while in 1971 that same ratio had reached a lamentable 18%.

President Nixon “concluded” it was better for the American citizens to give up the Agreement and to entirely cut the tie between the paper money and its gold backing, and the start of the US dollar as the world reserve currency backed by nothing but promises and trust.

The British Pound, as defined in 1560, originally represented one troy pound of sterling silver.

In order to finance the wars with both France and Scotland, Henry VIII reduced the precious metal content of the English coins, enabling him to mint more of them, increasing the nominal value in circulation but slowly eroding confidence in the coinage.

Paper banknotes were first issued in Britain shortly after the establishment of the Bank of England in 1694.

As of January 2009 it takes £82.50 to purchase that same troy pound of sterling silver bought for £1 four-hundred-and-fifty years ago – a loss of value equaling 98.8%. Shocking.

The median age for all existing “paper currencies” in circulation is only 38 to 39 years. That’s more than 41 and a half years ago.

I can only add that I am in the twilight years of my life so it is unlikely to have a huge effect on me.

It's the youngsters of today that I feel sorry for.

It was great to be alive in the boom days of the 60's, but they are now well over.

Time to pay for our pleasures methinks......

wai2.gif