Baht Bus Service On 3Rd Road ... A Sighting

Jingthing

A few weeks ago, I witnessed something that superficially appeared to be regular (10 baht) baht bus service on 3rd road. Now I realize baht buses as CHARTERS can be found anywhere including 3rd road but this looked different.

It was at the far north end of 3rd road heading south. What I saw was a group appear to wave down a baht bus and board the bus without talking to the driver. If that was really what was happening, that's a baht bus boarding, not a charter.

As I am rarely on 3rd road mainly due to no baht bus service, I now wonder if limited baht bus service is now happening on 3rd road or more likely did I just see that boarding wrong.

It would be very useful for me to be able to board 3rd road at South Pattaya going all the way to North Pattaya road, and vice versa.

BTW, if there isn't now limited baht bus service on 3rd road, there really should be. No not a lot of buses, but one every 10 or 15 minutes would be better than NOTHING.

Edited by Jingthing

If there was baht bus service it would impact traffic negatively as 3rd Rd is narrow, one lane each direction, and not enough room on the shoulder to drop off and pick up fares. Look at the other major roads, they are much wider, 2nd Road, Beach Road, Thepprasit, Central and North Pattaya, etc. and we know how baht buses impact the traffic on those roads. One reason I drive on 3rd Rd is the lack of baht buses.

If there was baht bus service it would impact traffic negatively as 3rd Rd is narrow, one lane each direction, and not enough room on the shoulder to drop off and pick up fares. Look at the other major roads, they are much wider, 2nd Road, Beach Road, Thepprasit, Central and North Pattaya, etc. and we know how baht buses impact the traffic on those roads. One reason I drive on 3rd Rd is the lack of baht buses.

Yeah I do get that. But I wonder if very limited service, even with set stops would be workable. For example, just stop at South Pattaya, Pattaya Klang, and Pattaya North. That would be massively useful to many people.

I live by Third Road.

I just asked Thai neighbors here about this and they tell me that there is no real Baht Bus service on Third Road.

Just a very occasional bus but better not count on it.

Personally I remember using Baht Buses on Third Road but that was eons ago.

• Like 1

Third Rd. is 2 lanes wide each side, 3 in some parts, it hasn't been 1 lane each way since it was a dirt track before they asphalted it.
  • Like 2

Third Rd. is 2 lanes wide each side, 3 in some parts, it hasn't been 1 lane each way since it was a dirt track before they asphalted it.

Technically yes, but the parked vehicles take up 1 lane...

I think the Baht buses driving from time to time on third road are mostly on their way back from a charter and just using it as a way to their usual routes. Obviously if someone flags them down they will stop, but I don't think any of them do the route as a standard part of their day.

I travel 3rd regularly and I standby my description of 3rd Rd being one lane in each direction. At the major intersections only (Pattaya Tai, Klang, Neua), the road is wider (2-3 lanes) in one direction to allow traffic to make right hand turns at the signals. At the Pattaya Klang and Tai intersections the road quickly changes back to one lane as traffic merges after clearing the traffic light. I am a supporter of public transportation but baht buses on 3rd Rd would just make traffic worse.

Having lived off 3rd Rd for years it is a minimum of 2 lanes in either direction, just the parked cars hindering it. To make a right turn into my old village it was easy to sit in the right lane in the car and have other cars pass on the left so at that point of the road verging at 5 lanes wide in total.

I think the Baht buses driving from time to time on third road are mostly on their way back from a charter and just using it as a way to their usual routes. Obviously if someone flags them down they will stop, but I don't think any of them do the route as a standard part of their day.

Yeah, probably. I imagine if you did flag one down there, most likely they would want to be doing a chat about where you go and how much you pay ...

Yeah, probably. I imagine if you did flag one down there, most likely they would want to be doing a chat about where you go and how much you pay ...

And you my man, are the perfect choice for that line of chat. Just make sure you get it on camera and post it here!

• Like 1

Having lived off 3rd Rd for years it is a minimum of 2 lanes in either direction, just the parked cars hindering it. To make a right turn into my old village it was easy to sit in the right lane in the car and have other cars pass on the left so at that point of the road verging at 5 lanes wide in total.

The

The reality is one lane is designated for legal street parking, my definition is Beach Rd. is two traffic lanes, not three and Second Rd. is 2 or 3 lanes not 4 or 5 and 3rd Rd. is one lane each direction except at major intersections. The pics were taken 5 years ago when traffic issues were less severe.

post-9935-0-37847400-1362808193_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-62415600-1362808290_thumb.jp

post-9935-0-70265700-1362808639_thumb.jp

The
The reality is one lane is designated for legal street parking, my definition is Beach Rd. is two traffic lanes, not three and Second Rd. is 2 or 3 lanes not 4 or 5 and 3rd Rd. is one lane each direction except at major intersections. The pics were taken 5 years ago when traffic issues were less severe.

Right.

A 'lane' where cars can be legally parked (no alternating red-yellow/white curb painting) is obviously not a 'traffic' lane though it's wide as a normal lane (thus the confusion) and I use it with my motocy so that I avoid being tailgated by scary monster Pegas busses and Speedy Gonzales SUVs.

Edited by Rimmer
Quote fixed

• 3 weeks later...

I travel 3rd regularly and I standby my description of 3rd Rd being one lane in each direction. At the major intersections only (Pattaya Tai, Klang, Neua), the road is wider (2-3 lanes) in one direction to allow traffic to make right hand turns at the signals. At the Pattaya Klang and Tai intersections the road quickly changes back to one lane as traffic merges after clearing the traffic light. I am a supporter of public transportation but baht buses on 3rd Rd would just make traffic worse.

by that criteria you would stop Baht Buses along Beach Road.

yeah they are pretty scarce, especially on the north part, north of Pattaya Klang. Having walked down that stretch of road quite a lot over the years, my opinion is that part of the road is a bit sparcely populated. Sure there are a lot of smaller business, but no real hotel complexes or restaurants. There are a few side streets that head East or West and can get you back up to Soi Yume for example.