Murders, Suicides, And...

toenail

I realize "bad news" sells and draws our attention, but I wonnder how many murders and suicides there are a week in Pattaya? I would say 1 suicide a week, maybe 2 murders (including those who fall of the balconies) a week. What I see on the news is not all that is reported.

Suicides & murders are plentiful in Pattaya. Mis-adventure and mishaps are equally plentiful. These are matched by police (in)competence and resources which are not so plentiful. Police thrive in a constant state of delusion; imagining everything to be a suicide or an accident. It means that Pattaya police have the world's largest 'file and forget' section. At rare intervals police do announce 'break-throughs'. This simply means that the bag snatcher fell off his bike and landed atop a policeman or a thief left his ID behind in someone's safe or someone from the Russian Embassy demands answers or someone has dangled a dollar bill before a high-up BIB. Mind you I've nothing against the BIB. In fact I've dated a couple of them and found the evening grand so long as one expects nothing intelligent.

Only a smidgen of all the mayhem & madness - which occurs in this small splice of land barely 5km x 5km in which just over 100,000 people live - gets into the media. 'In percentage terms' the crime & accident stats (of what is called Greater Pattaya) exceeds even the crime infested Chicago South-side. Which made me think - Imagine if those smart yanks exported their '2nd Amendment' to this fair country the way they've been exporting 'democracy' around the M.E. They might at last succeed in creating one more mess. But then that's for another time.

Edited by Bokchoi
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I believe there are lots of people getting completely disillusioned when they realise that life at the beach is really hard work. Once the money runs out and the girl away things can turn quite desperate...

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Pattaya is a 'fun' city. Like any city there are deaths, murders, suicides, drug pushers, low-lifes, robbers and muggers and such like. Yet, many (not all) of these situations are avoidable with care.

If you look closely there are also many icidents that are Thai on Thai, especially on the dark side, but they do not get the same high profile coverage..

Though I've only lived here for a couple of years and visited many times from other parts of Thailand, I know guys who have spent 10 years or so in Pattaya and they have never been mugged, stabbed, jumped from balconies or anything similar.

Makes you wonder how some become the victims of crime and others do not. Is it attitude or a case of taking more care with what they do and who with?

If I remember correctly there was research that says some people are victims of multiple crimes because they 'look' like victims, or their attitude gives off some vibes and they are targetted more often. A bit like some houses / apartments are reported to be targetted time and again.

I'm not trying to do any Pattaya bashing, but just interested in any real crime statistics.

Everyone either bashes or defends Pattaya but know one seems to have any idea as to any numbers.

Still curious...

I'm not trying to do any Pattaya bashing, but just interested in any real crime statistics.

Everyone either bashes or defends Pattaya but know one seems to have any idea as to any numbers.

Still curious...

I know in Phuket not all crimes as these are reported as there are too many. Just like road accidents. When a foreigner is involved it has a better chance of being reported than a local, and in most cases does get reported. I would assume this is the case for all Thai cities. But for locals... a lot of it goes unreported. There are just too many.

Pattaya is a 'fun' city. Like any city there are deaths, murders, suicides, drug pushers, low-lifes, robbers and muggers and such like. Yet, many (not all) of these situations are avoidable with care.

If you look closely there are also many icidents that are Thai on Thai, especially on the dark side, but they do not get the same high profile coverage..

Though I've only lived here for a couple of years and visited many times from other parts of Thailand, I know guys who have spent 10 years or so in Pattaya and they have never been mugged, stabbed, jumped from balconies or anything similar.

Makes you wonder how some become the victims of crime and others do not. Is it attitude or a case of taking more care with what they do and who with?

If I remember correctly there was research that says some people are victims of multiple crimes because they 'look' like victims, or their attitude gives off some vibes and they are targetted more often. A bit like some houses / apartments are reported to be targetted time and again.

10 years in january next year.I know its not good reading,but i have never been in trouble,no house robberies,never had a cop try to get money out of me illegaly,never been bitten by a soi dog,no dengue fever,not had a thai say bad things to me,quite the opposite,never felt like killing myself,gf doesnt steal money, i nfact she works hard, 6 days a week.

BORING AINT IT

• Like 2

10 years in january next year.I know its not good reading,but i have never been in trouble,no house robberies,never had a cop try to get money out of me illegaly,never been bitten by a soi dog,no dengue fever,not had a thai say bad things to me,quite the opposite,never felt like killing myself,gf doesnt steal money, i nfact she works hard, 6 days a week.

BORING AINT IT

Murphy's Law !!

You should have said so far.

Now you will get robbed, mugged, beaten, scammed and then tortured amd murdered and it will be all Murphy's fault cheesy.gif

Edited by pattayadingo

BORING AINT IT

Murphy's Law !!

You should have said so far.

Now you will get robbed, mugged, beaten, scammed and then tortured amd murdered and it will be all Murphy's fault cheesy.gif

onley if he's lucky

send by my pigeon (the blue one)

Suicides & murders are plentiful in Pattaya. Mis-adventure and mishaps are equally plentiful. These are matched by police (in)competence and resources which are not so plentiful. Police thrive in a constant state of delusion; imagining everything to be a suicide or an accident. It means that Pattaya police have the world's largest 'file and forget' section. At rare intervals police do announce 'break-throughs'. This simply means that the bag snatcher fell off his bike and landed atop a policeman or a thief left his ID behind in someone's safe or someone from the Russian Embassy demands answers or someone has dangled a dollar bill before a high-up BIB. Mind you I've nothing against the BIB. In fact I've dated a couple of them and found the evening grand so long as one expects nothing intelligent.

Only a smidgen of all the mayhem & madness - which occurs in this small splice of land barely 5km x 5km in which just over 100,000 people live - gets into the media. 'In percentage terms' the crime & accident stats (of what is called Greater Pattaya) exceeds even the crime infested Chicago South-side. Which made me think - Imagine if those smart yanks exported their '2nd Amendment' to this fair country the way they've been exporting 'democracy' around the M.E. They might at last succeed in creating one more mess. But then that's for another time.

Dated who??????blink.png

A lot of sick people are attracted to Pattaya , thats why you will hear about more suicides and murders here.

Still its safe to live here , I am more worried about the crazy traffic than "Jack the ripper".

Crimes among Thai's mostly don't make it into the "headlines" in Pattaya.

According to statistics (if I remember correctly) the murder-rate per 100'000 inhabitants in Thailand is very close to the one in the USA. Not 100 % sure. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks & cheers.

I don't know about the other local newspapers but the Pattaya Mail is only allowed to fill one page per issue with reports on local crime. Don't believe me? Take a look - it's usually page 2, 3 or 4... after that it's all feelgood stuff.

• Like 1