Volunteering In Thailand From Canada

Hello all! I have a few questions that hopefully somebody here can answer better then my local offices! ... Here it goes!

I want to voulunteer in Thailand in 4 months, for 2 weeks! I will be going with VolunteerHQ.Org and I am just wondering what visa I need to make this possible, where/how I can attain it and long the process will take!

Any other insights would be greatly appreciated as well!

Edit: I am 19 years of age!

Edited by ExportK

Per above, these organisation as a general rule forget to mention that you ned a non-O visa for volunteering, together with a work permit from the labour office.

Working, including volunteering, without a work permit carries a maximum penalty of 5 years imprissonment and/or fine of up to 100,000 baht. Now, a volunteer will not be send to jail for normal volunteering but problems might arise and in my opinion it says a lot about these kind of organisations that they don't mention the need for a work permit and let you take the risk, while they take your money.

If they don't offer a work permit, that might be a reason to ask a judge to void the contract.

• Like 2

Hi ExportK

sorry for the negative leaning post above. It is just a bit of shame that these organizations continue to attract and charge the rates they do. After reading through their website I would just like to break down where your money is going but please do not take any offense. Your wanting to help and volunteer your time is commendable.

Firstly your registration fee and 2 week cost will be $380 + $249 = $629 USD.

That is about 19,900 baht for two weeks. In exchange you get accommodation, meals, an orientation and lastly the many years of hard work they have done to set up this system of bringing people to Thailand (and other places) for profit. And this is the kicker it cost money to establish the contacts (pay offs) to offer you the opportunity to pay for volunteering. And honestly they have paid a lot of money to set this up so naturally they will want to recoup these costs.

But you are basically paying 19,900 for food and accommodation that is about 1,400 baht a day. Now hopefully the swim up pool that adjoins your luxury villa comes with a private butler service, free champagne in the mini bar and your own private vehicle to drive you around.

But I think not. Your accommodation will probably be a shared dorm (or as the website states traditional style wood and soil) which probably cost them in about 100 baht a day (you supply your sleeping bag, linens included) and after seeing a few of these programs up close the meals will invariably be ... not eaten. You will be spending your own money on optional foods. Maybe.

So the daily cost of your trip minus lodging, meals (company cost will be less the 150 baht a day food on weekends is generally not included) and one way transfer (100 baht) is less than 400 baht a day.

So to run this program and keep it going cost the company about 1,000 baht per day x (15 to 30 volunteers start each month) = min - 15,000 to max - 30,000 baht per day! Or about 900,000 baht a month.

Wish I earned that!! And they can not get you set up with the proper visa and work permit!!

I am not judging just sharing the facts that these companies are FOR profit but that should not lessen your experience if you decide to participate with them.

Take care.

First off I would never, ever, pay for a volunteer position. Secondly, I would never, ever, pay for a volunteer position that did not give me all the facts and provide me with the proper visa.

Unless they have an agreement with the Thailand government you will be required to have an Immigration B - visa and a work permit.

If you have already paid them that is fine. If not you can post me and I can send you information on a volunteer organization in the Northeast of Thailand that does not charge and provides free room (meals not included).

Good luck and if you have paid them do not let them say "don't worry about it, nobody gets one it is okay, 2 weeks is not a problem you will be fine" or something to that effect.

Per above, these organisation as a general rule forget to mention that you ned a non-O visa for volunteering, together with a work permit from the labour office.

Working, including volunteering, without a work permit carries a maximum penalty of 5 years imprissonment and/or fine of up to 100,000 baht. Now, a volunteer will not be send to jail for normal volunteering but problems might arise and in my opinion it says a lot about these kind of organisations that they don't mention the need for a work permit and let you take the risk, while they take your money.

If they don't offer a work permit, that might be a reason to ask a judge to void the contract.

Thank you both very much! RCT I've sent you an inbox regarding your post!

Mario, Do yo have any idea how long it takes to obtain a work permit from Canada for Thailand? and do you know if Canadians are exempt for 30 days from a visa as long as they carry an out of country flight ticket

You have to get the work permit here in Thailand.

You can get a 30 day visa exempt entry if you have a ticket out of the country within 30 days. But you cannot get a work permit without a non immigrant O visa.

The work permit you get in Thailand, with the help of the organisation. Both must fill in some paperwork and you probably need a copy of your diploma/degree. It usually doesn't take longer than 1 or 2 days to get for a volunteer.