Thai Health Ministry Considering Plan To Force Foreign Tourists To Buy Insurance

webfact

Health Ministry considering plan to force tourists to buy insurance
By Coconuts Bangkok

healthministry.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In a bid to reduce the financial costs of public hospitals operating within the Kingdom, the Ministry of Public Health is contemplating a measure which would, in effect, force foreign tourists to purchase travel and health insurance prior to entering the country.

According to Pradit Sinthawanarong, the Minister of Public Health, roughly 2.5 million foreign visitors make hospital trips during their time here every year.

With the number of tourists visiting Thailand expected to tip 30 million by 2015, the costs of providing emergency medical care, often to tourists incapable of paying, is placing a heavier burden on local hospitals. The problem is becoming particularly acute in the face of a rapidly aging population who will demand more and more costly government care as they grow old. Last year alone, the Thai government spent THB140 billion on care for the elderly.

Over the long term, the Ministry is considering moves which would force tourists to buy insurance by imposing additional fees on air fare or a hotel tax.

Full story: http://www.coconutsbangkok.com/news/health-ministry-considering-plan-to-force-tourists-to-buy-insurance/

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-03-13

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 % of this hospital visits is made by expats living in the country. A higher fee on air fare and hotels does not effect the expats living in Thailand.

But if these fees are implemented does that mean as an expat living in the Kingdom we get free medical care?

Or will the next rule be: A proof of medical insurance when you apply for a visa?

• Like 2

Well, usually if you pay your ticket with a credit card , there is always an insurance included no ?

No, there is not. You can buy it as an option.

What about foreigners living here who arrange for private heath insurance in Thailand? Like me?

• Like 1

Ban tourists over 50 or certify they are wealthy before they are allowed to get a ticket to Thailand.

Don't most tourists take out some sort of travel insurance covering illness and emergency treatment?

whistling.gif

• Like 1

Well, usually if you pay your ticket with a credit card , there is always an insurance included no ? How can they impose to tourists any insurance ? non sense but I agree on the principle , Thailand doesn't have to pay for those who cannot afford to pay medical expenses here. I said it before , those coming on tourist visa can have a proof of insurance when applying for visa. Thais must give this insurance when they travel to Europe. I also need a special insurance when I travel in some countries.

Credit cards do not all insure and it is worth a look at just what they do insure. Thais and others do not need insurance to travel to Europe only to get a schengen visa. I am not having a go, just a couple of replies to your points.

40 % of this hospital visits is made by expats living in the country. A higher fee on air fare and hotels does not effect the expats living in Thailand.

But if these fees are implemented does that mean as an expat living in the Kingdom we get free medical care?

Or will the next rule be: A proof of medical insurance when you apply for a visa?

do you think they perhaps did not think the statement through as your post sort of indicateswhistling.gif

"...buy insurance by imposing additional fees on air fare or a hotel tax".

Some immediate difficulties with implementation spring to mind:

• How will fees be levied on foreign airlines, and how will they distinguish between tourists and people transiting Thailand? This would be enormously time-consuming
  • A hotel tax would by no means encompass all tourists, not to mention foreigners who stay semi-permanently in apartments etc on tourist or non-i or ed visas

This has not been thought through.

• Like 1

Could be a novel way to change the holiday insurance package industry forever, on production of a medical records statement to alert to any pre-existing conditions a simple health policy on arrival 5000 baht, a certificate issued for free emergencv healthcare at any government hospital to the value of say 250k baht.......but I would say visa linked rather than hotel or airport tax related.

• Like 1

Well, usually if you pay your ticket with a credit card , there is always an insurance included no ?

No, there is not. You can buy it as an option.

What about foreigners living here who arrange for private heath insurance in Thailand? Like me?

Maybe in all depends on "what country --what card "---my Visa Card here in N.Z gives me 90 days cover --if I pay fare with it--that saves me $200-$500--depending how long I stay

Been here a fair old while and I have always maintained a healthy bank balance in order to negate any possible problems from being ill.It has proved sufficient up to now, but I must admit, some form of cover may well be a good idea as I approach the old 50.

Another money money making idea of Mr. T's goverment. Almost all Europeans have insurance anyway. Not even the very strict homeland security ask me for insurance, when i entered the US. BTW, i was in Cambo last week. Its getting better and better. Peaple in Phnom Penh speak english and i was suprised. Some students speak fluently french as well. Peaple in Phnom Penh drive Lexus instead of Vios or D Max. Another5 year. Lets see whats going on. Sometime i get the feeling that they think Thailand is the only and Nr. 1 Tourist destination in this world. Did they ever been in miami, the caribean islands, Rio or somewhere else to get an idea how for examle, a beachroad should look?

Those Lexus SUVs belong to NGOs or Govt. employees, not the "peaple"(sic). Still, Phnom Penh is a blast!

• Like 2

Most of the above posters seem to be thinking about guys on tourist visas. I do agree that permanent residents here should have at least some form of emergency insurance, combined with a repatriation insurance. I have to show ฿400 000 bank balance for my marriage extension, I have an equal amount in my home country bank. This should be sufficient for most emergencies, but you always need a plan 'B'.

Great idea about paying up front, Mr Businessman, you must be deeply spiritual.

• Like 1

"...buy insurance by imposing additional fees on air fare or a hotel tax".

Some immediate difficulties with implementation spring to mind:

• How will fees be levied on foreign airlines, and how will they distinguish between tourists and people transiting Thailand? This would be enormously time-consuming
  • A hotel tax would by no means encompass all tourists, not to mention foreigners who stay semi-permanently in apartments etc on tourist or non-i or ed visas

This has not been thought through.

I agree and it is also unfair to those tourists who have health cover already.

Are tourists not supposed to have evidence of sufficient funds? I realise this is getting harder with ATMs and Credit Cards.

Well, usually if you pay your ticket with a credit card , there is always an insurance included no ? How can they impose to tourists any insurance ? non sense but I agree on the principle , Thailand doesn't have to pay for those who cannot afford to pay medical expenses here. I said it before , those coming on tourist visa can have a proof of insurance when applying for visa. Thais must give this insurance when they travel to Europe. I also need a special insurance when I travel in some countries.

Credit cards do not all insure and it is worth a look at just what they do insure. Thais and others do not need insurance to travel to Europe only to get a schengen visa. I am not having a go, just a couple of replies to your points.

Yes true , Thais need a visa to travel to Shengen state , could be wise to ask the reciprocity for those living in shengen state and travel to Thailand no ? As living here I have a special insurance from Europe ... I think this insurance thing is only for tourists not for expats.

Another money money making idea of Mr. T's goverment. Almost all Europeans have insurance anyway. Not even the very strict homeland security ask me for insurance, when i entered the US. BTW, i was in Cambo last week. Its getting better and better. Peaple in Phnom Penh speak english and i was suprised. Some students speak fluently french as well. Peaple in Phnom Penh drive Lexus instead of Vios or D Max. Another5 year. Lets see whats going on. Sometime i get the feeling that they think Thailand is the only and Nr. 1 Tourist destination in this world. Did they ever been in miami, the caribean islands, Rio or somewhere else to get an idea how for examle, a beachroad should look?

I would imagine it's the massive numbers of Chinese, Indian, Russian and Asian tourists that they're concerned about, not the relatively few European tourists. It seems a bit rich for you to be criticising the level of English in Thailand when your own written English is not eaxctly perfect!

OUCH that hurts .... well not everybody is an English native speaker . He didnt criticized the Thai not talking English , he just said in Cambodia they do ..But he has a point with the beachroad issue .

"often to tourists incapable of paying" blink.pngblink.png

The details may not have been well thought out, but the fact remains that Thai hospitals end up spending money on care for indigent foreigners, particularly when it comes to emergency care. Demonstrating an ability to pay for medical care before entering the country seems quite sensible.

If hospitals treat patients who are unable to pay, then those additional costs end up being added to the charges the rest of us have to pay in the form of higher costs per visit and substantial deposits before undergoing major treatment.

Hospitals count cost of foreigners’ bills

State hospitals in the southern province are shouldering a heavy burden for treating elderly foreigners who cannot afford to pay their medical bills.

The state-run Vachira Phuket Hospital admitted a record 377 foreign patients, mostly Britons, in the 12 months to Sept 30, 2010. There were also cases of foreigners who died outside of hospital but were brought in for autopsies. They died of causes ranging from road accidents to drowning and suicide. The hospital last year spent 1.3 million baht treating 17 penniless foreigners. It was the third consecutive year that the hospital had logged unpaid bills. The hospital bore costs of more than 1.2 million baht in 2009 for 22 foreign patients, a 50% rise from the 800,000 baht in costs to treat 17 patients in 2008, the centre said.

“These patients are mostly European men,” the source said. “They didn’t take out health insurance. They renew their visas every year and have no savings.” Some of them produced fake financial statements to have their visas renewed. Each foreign national seeking the renewal of his or her retirement visa must have at least 800,000 baht in their bank account or show they have earnings of at least 65,000 baht a month.

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2011/01/20/hospitals-count-cost-of-foreigners-bills/

• Like 1