Job Interview No Suit

cms989

I sort of stumbled into a job interview but hadn't planned on staying/working here in Bangkok. As such I have very travel friendly clothes (causal pants, short sleave shirts, tennis shoes, etc.).

The way I see it I have a few options. One is to buy some cheap collared shirt/slacks combo on the street and find a cheap pair of shoes. Another is to spring for the full tailored suit, which will be somewhat useless to me the rest of my travels (I'd been vaguely thinking about picking up a TEFL gig someplace but probably not). Lastly I could just be honest and ask if I could show up in casual attire. The HR manager is Thai, she is my contact, but I will be meeting with the head of the company who is British. The company itself is probably full suits all around

Really tempted to go with the last option.. as for my interest in the job, I'm more just going to listen what they have to say. But I see a very high upside. At the same time I'm sure we've all been to interviews and had our time wasted.

Tips? thanks for reading

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. It's a legit company so they'd get me the visa.

Really hard for me to justify $300 for a job interview, ugh.. especially the last couple I had before I came out here. Those ones I was pissed I wasted the time just driving out there. Where I'm from the guy would laugh it off and meet me for coffee wearing casual clothes himself.

I think the suit will get ruined otherwise because I'm living out of a backpack indefinitely. And I have enough nice business clothes back home.

But you're probably right

Edited by cms989

Simple, Do you want the job, if so you know yourself what the answer is......

Yes I am British but if you can't be bothered to dress for an interview why should they bother interviewing you?

Edited by RabC
  • Like 1

I don't think you really need to go all out and buy yourself a suit, quite easy to make yourself look presentable without spending 300 dollars!

I really don't understand why you are asking what you should wear to an interview. Have you ever had a job interview?

• Like 1

Yes I am British but if you can't be bothered to dress for an interview why should they bother interviewing you?

Have you seen the Monty Pythons in "Silly Olympics"? Suits were compulsary!

And suit-able too.

I'm more familiar than most with job interviews. In my experience if you're honest (I didn't expect to come across this opportunity when I packed, and don't have a suit..) would be the much better option that going out and buying one. It would not be surprising at all given my resume that I did not pack a suit.. I'm pretty obviously a professional who just happens to be in Bangkok

And I have no idea if I want the job. It's sales so you never know until you meet the people and see if they are any good at what they do. More often than not it is a complete waste of time and I expect doubly so in Bangkok

Edited by cms989

Talk with the HR manager, tell her you would normally come in suit, tell her why you don't have any and kindly ask for advice

Why ask strangers in Thaivisa when you have a direct contact into the company who can also tell you how this british guy might react on your non-wearing suit????

coffee1.gifblink.png

Usually i'd do this but not familiar with Thai business culture, didn't know if this was some sort of huge no-no with the HR manager. Thanks

Actually I should just ask if it is any different here than elsewhere. If the answer is no, I am completely confident simply asking the question. Back home I would've done it instantly and it would have been fine

Edited by cms989
  • Like 1

If you told me in an interview that it cost you over $100 to arrive at the interview I'd think you're desperate. So I'd have to disagree.. if someone just happened to be in Bangkok and didn't have a suit with them I'd say 'Don't be silly, I understand let's just meet and talk for a bit and see if there is a fit'

Thank you.. I appreciate the feedback but I apologize I should have asked a better question. Is this an especially big no-no with the Thai HR manager or not? I'm very familiar with interview processes and in my experience being honest about the situation would not be an issue, so my question is more related to Thai business culture being any different or not.

Thank NanLawue, I can justify $85.

Shaving.. you know I was introduced to the safety razor here, when I lived here a number of years ago, and ironically I brought one here but have not been able to find any razors for it. thai disposables are criminally pathetic

Edited by cms989

I would seriously decide of I was traveling or working and then decide accordingly. I have never had this problem, traveling and working are two totally different things. But, if I decided I wanted to work, I'd get a suit, and not a cheap one.

I remember a guy telling me a story about how he bought a suit from one of these Indian tailors.It turns out they had just glued the seams of the trousers together and after not very long the glue came undone and they turned into some strange open flares/Samurai or Kendo uniform/Cowboy chaps type of affair walking down the street!laugh.png

I appreciate the advice guys you all raise some good points. In terms of the traveling/working question I am working but not in a way that should ever require me to need a suit (this isn't a 2 week vacation that turns into a job interview, I plan on being based out of SE Asia anyway).

As far as asking being a bad idea.. I can see how it can be a coin flip. I think my goal was just to diffuse any awkwardness if I walked in the door wearing casual clothes. And depending on the HR manager's role, and their interest, it may be more her role to manage the process between me and the head of the company rather than be critical of me (i.e. if I get hired she has done her job so she is happy to give me advice).

I'm going to go ahead and go business casual, collared shirt tucked in to slacks and shoes. I never see anyone wearing full suits here so I really doubt they are. If it ends up I'm underdressed I'll crack a joke about it at the interview

I do not see any problems.

Usually when I travel or go away on vacation, I always carry a smart attire of clothes for socializing or dining out and so on. Depends on your personality and pride of appearance.

Go and buy yourself a smart pair of trousers = 600 baht, ready made in Tesco Lotus or other big stores.

A decent casual tee-shirt of shirt = 400 baht.

Pair of socks and shoes = 600 baht.

Total - 1600 baht, maybe less.

Depends on how keen you are to get the job and whether the sort of job you are applying for is worth the effort?

If you told me in an interview that it cost you over $100 to arrive at the interview I'd think you're desperate. So I'd have to disagree.. if someone just happened to be in Bangkok and didn't have a suit with them I'd say 'Don't be silly, I understand let's just meet and talk for a bit and see if there is a fit'

As above. If after the explanation they don't want you because of the lack of a suit, they're not worth working for.

If you go neat and casual (no shorts & singlets), you should be right.

nice and neat should be enough.

No shorts, no flip flops, a shirt with long sleeves, should be OK for most jobs.

Of course depending on which job. A sales guy need better clothes than a technician.

As above. If after the explanation they don't want you because of the lack of a suit, they're not worth working for.

If you go neat and casual (no shorts & singlets), you should be right.

Your last sentence says it all, you appear to be an Aussie and hence from a more laid back country. I am not saying either is better than the other but as Mr Frank eloquently put it no, matter what you say beforehand you will be judged on your dress.

Thank NanLawue, I can justify $85.

Shaving.. you know I was introduced to the safety razor here, when I lived here a number of years ago, and ironically I brought one here but have not been able to find any razors for it. thai disposables are criminally pathetic

The only disposables worth anything in LOS are the Schick Exacta range; everything else manages to tear my skin up or pluck my chin!. Green handles/packaging and you get 2+1 free in the pack. They are sold in the UK as Wilkinson Sword and they kick Gillette and BIC into touch!

I think it really depends on the context of "I sort of stumbled into a job interview"

If you mean that someone you met here specifically asked you if you were interested in a job, and would like to come to an interview. Then obviously they know you are traveling as a tourist and would not expect you to show up in a suit (in fact they'd probably think it was pretty weird that you went out and bought a suit)

But if you mean that you happened to pick up a Bangkok Post and look at the job offerings..then yeah that would be pretty strange if you showed up in casual-wear.

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 1

I think it really depends on the context of "I sort of stumbled into a job interview"

If you mean that someone you met here specifically asked you if you were interested in a job, and would like to come to an interview. Then obviously they know you are traveling as a tourist and would not expect you to show up in a suit (in fact they'd probably think it was pretty weird that you went out and bought a suit)

But if you mean that you happened to pick up a Bangkok Post and look at the job offerings..then yeah that would be pretty strange if you showed up in casual-wear.

Serious? I would think showing up in a suit would say nothing but good things.... unless the guy came off as never being offered an interview before, which is possible I guess.