2013 Pattaya Songkran Faq

JSixpack

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've seen tourist that's arrived on the 19th booked a hotel somewhere on beach road and got a taxi down and managed to get in as far as Foodland or Big C car park on central road., their taxi gave up after 3-4 hours, left them to fend for themselves and probably walk the rest of the way to their hotel.

The fact that it's mad down here in Pattaya is not well known in Bangkok

Could someone confirm that the big night in Pattaya in on the 18th (eve of the 19th) and not on the night of the 19th? please!

Nope, the 18th is the big day for Naklua, north of Pattaya, there will be some spill overs from that area but the full force will be down in Pattaya Actual on the 19th

BTW, a good idea would be for Chonburi to celebrate the same days as the rest of the country. That would reduce it to a more sensible duration, and also improve the party.

The Thai word for the day in Chonburi and Pattaya is actually 'Wan Lai' meaning 'Flow' day, not actual Songkran as in the proceedings 'flow' from Chonburi on the 13rd-15th and makes their way down to Bang Saen, Sriracha and whatever into Naklua on the 18th and Pattaya on 19th, Jomtien and Sattahip is on the 20-21st I think. The idea is that the revellers could move along to the different areas each days and could enjoy the whole week if they wanted

It used to be, just a few years ago that on the 13-16th Pattaya is dry, only a few bars along beach road from central rd to Soi 9 would try to get it on but the momentum couldnt't be carried

But then the Bangkok People and the Foreign Tourist came down on the Sonkran Actual from 13th and proceed to have some fun and now it has turn into full-blown week

Why all the negativity about Songkran? I lived for many years in pattaya and found Songkran great fun! Imagine throwing water over some of these awful Russian tourists you have there, or just having fun with the mostly fun loving Thais! Yes it sometimes feels like war, but only with water not guns! It is fun indeed!! If you don't like it, stay indoors or get out of the country. It is after all the Thai new year and celebrations get a little OTT in pattaya, but that's all. ENJOY!

Your question was clearly answered in the first post.

• Like 2

I did not read ALL the FAQ, good as it is, but please, people, keep your credit cards and wallet dry in a bag, or better still, leave the credit cards at home. It can be expensive to have to replace them from your home country.

7-11 are already selling waterproof bags in various sizes that can be hung around your neck starting from 60 baht.

• Like 1

Any opinions on travelling from Naklua to airport (swampy) on the 20th? I'm concerned either Songkran will run late (it is a Saturday after all) or the roads will be packed with returning revellers. Would it be better on the 18th, maybe clear road from the bypass to airport?

The local school has started their celebration already, i can hear the hysterical screaming from here....

Any opinions on travelling from Naklua to airport (swampy) on the 20th? I'm concerned either Songkran will run late (it is a Saturday after all) or the roads will be packed with returning revellers. Would it be better on the 18th, maybe clear road from the bypass to airport?

The local school has started their celebration already, i can hear the hysterical screaming from here....

Are you using a taxi service? If so, ask them. They'll probably know what's going on and how long it will take.

Best of luck!!

I think JSixpack said all there is to say on the subject,

except perhaps to buy a big pack of noodles & other base necessities prior to the party.

ed: this is one of the few times living with a gf is a genuinely positive thing

Edited by poanoi

I came to Pattaya to experience Songkran here. However, I suspect I will regret it. I plan to leave on the 16th, so hopefully I can make it out okay.

However, today, April 11, I've already seen idiots (male and female) on Beach road spraying people around 9:30pm. It sounded like they had eastern European accents when they yelled "Songkran" then spraying people. They got an ear full from some Russians that were not amused. They also got a somewhat full can thrown at them, but it didn't make contact.

Does anyone have any idea how difficult it will be to take an early afternoon taxi from Soi 13 on the 16th?

I came to Pattaya to experience Songkran here. However, I suspect I will regret it. I plan to leave on the 16th, so hopefully I can make it out okay.

However, today, April 11, I've already seen idiots (male and female) on Beach road spraying people around 9:30pm. It sounded like they had eastern European accents when they yelled "Songkran" then spraying people. They got an ear full from some Russians that were not amused. They also got a somewhat full can thrown at them, but it didn't make contact.

Does anyone have any idea how difficult it will be to take an early afternoon taxi from Soi 13 on the 16th?

It will not be difficult to get a taxi, the problem for you is to get in it dry depending of where your hotel is on soi 13 and do they have an on/off loading area for arriving/departing guests.

I gonna use my pick-up truck for the next week when going down town.

They should stop playing with water after 1800 hours and the police should enforce that strictly. 1st time water players are like small kids in a candy store, they can't get enough.

I normal go play for 1 day and then I had enough, I simply don't enjoy being soaked to the bone with my clothes on.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

I have set up a public Google Map so that anyone who spots this early activity can mark it and help warn others. If you don't know how to add placemarks in Google Maps just post your observation here and I'll add it. The more you describe the better - precise location (i.e. where on Beach road), how bad (complete all-out water-war or just a kid with a toy-shooter).

Link to Pattaya Songkran 2013 Activity Map (Google Maps)

I have set up a public Google Map so that anyone who spots this early activity can mark it and help warn others. If you don't know how to add placemarks in Google Maps just post your observation here and I'll add it. The more you describe the better - precise location (i.e. where on Beach road), how bad (complete all-out water-war or just a kid with a toy-shooter).

Thanks for the map. I'm putting on my phone now. Here's the QR Code for it.

By the way, they were in front of Mike's heading towards walking street.

Thanks for the map. I'm putting on my phone now. Here's the QR Code for it.

By the way, they were in front of Mike's heading towards walking street.

Thanks for the update, I was just taking a wild guess. I've moved the marker.

A little off-topic, but I noticed you tried to post a QR code. The links from some of the QR code generators doesn't appear to be images and therefore the forum software won't allow it, but I found this QR code generator creates a proper image that you can then upload as an image to the forum. A little more cumbersome I know, but I think the result is better.

post-1539-0-68127400-1365743724.png

Is it possible to take a walk in Jomtien Beach Rd without getting wet ?

I use a bicycle to move around , from Jomtien soi 4 to 12 , and I dont want to take part in Songkran.

Will I be attacked?

Silly Question.............................. ;o)

Are gogo bars open? What about walking street, at what time is walkable without getting wet? After 6pm??

No chance. There will still be the the usual morons at it down there way after midnight. I had a blast from a water gun coming down Soi Buakhow on the back of a motorbike taxi at 12-15 AM this morning.

I got drenched with a hose this morning around 10am coming back from JP bar at the arab bar corner next to Marine 2, glad I had all my valuables and phone inside the motosai or it wouldn't have been much fun

Right now I am more comcerned about the loud music and Thais screamiing into their karaoke microphones here in my soi all night.

Edited by balo