Jackets For The Heat....

GooEng

^

No, but I've been intrigued by the Rukka stuff for a while- mostly the fact it's so incredibly expensive for textile ( and gets great reviews) leads me to think it's something special.

Revzilla is dumping some of it relatively cheaply- I think it's just too pricey for the US market- I'm tempted.

• Like 1

Sorry but perforated leather all the way. Mesh/textile jacket is ok riding to the local mom & pop store but longer trips require serious gear. ATGATT!

It depends on the situation- I have high-end leather and mesh jackets and pants, and I make my choices accordingly. By your logic, though, I would assume you wear perf leather pants everywhere as well, as your lower body is also very likely to sustain crash injuries- I wear my textile pants more often than my leathers.

The Rukka gear is extremely good quality and it has lightweight CE level-2 protection- it would probably hold up better than many perf leather jackets.

On long trips I wear full fairly thick quality perforated leather. I don't believe any mesh/textile gear will hold up as well as decent leather no matter how well made. It's okay for impact type crashes but wouldn't trust it sliding along the Tarmac.

If I'm pushing the bike hard I wear a one-piece leather suit- I generally wear my leather jacket weather-permitting- there are days when I'll wear my textile jackets instead, but I agree that in a hard crash leather would probably hold up better- still, the quality of the textile has really improved in recent years, but the best stuff can actually be more expensive than leather (i.e. Rukka gear) because it offers similar protective benefits while offering way better airflow.

I don't know if I could bring myself to pay $900 for a textile jacket, though...

• Like 2

Having never read this thread before I was quite excited and optimistic about finding some riding gear, but it is the same old same old. Stupid dark colours, heavy and expensive, little wonder kids wear their normal clothes and get hurt.

I want a lightweight light coloured jacket and there seems to be nothing at all at a sensible price and don't understand the difficulty. How hard can it be to produce a lightweight white garment with some plastic protection bits sewn in, all for a few hundred baht?

The motorcross guys use a skeleton suit and wear a shirt over the top but haven't seen those here, even thought about designing something myself, but running a business here is all but impossible.

Now before you Barry Sheen would-be's tell me about high speed riding, Kevlar, CE cobblers and all that stuff, I don't ride much over 50mph and I just want something better than a t-shirt, if I hit the ground at 30mph.

Having never read this thread before I was quite excited and optimistic about finding some riding gear, but it is the same old same old. Stupid dark colours, heavy and expensive, little wonder kids wear their normal clothes and get hurt.

I want a lightweight light coloured jacket and there seems to be nothing at all at a sensible price and don't understand the difficulty. How hard can it be to produce a lightweight white garment with some plastic protection bits sewn in, all for a few hundred baht?

The motorcross guys use a skeleton suit and wear a shirt over the top but haven't seen those here, even thought about designing something myself, but running a business here is all but impossible.

Now before you Barry Sheen would-be's tell me about high speed riding, Kevlar, CE cobblers and all that stuff, I don't ride much over 50mph and I just want something better than a t-shirt, if I hit the ground at 30mph.

I went to Panda shop last saturday and it's great. I found some nice Jacket, light colour with CE protection for less than 6000 baht on discount. maybe you should have a look there.

The shop is quite high end in general.

I tried a grey color jacket with CE pads, looked to have great ventilation. I will probably buy it next 2 weeks because my leather jacket is really too heavy and overkill for commuting 20KM to work each day.

That sounds okay, where is the Panda shop, I guess somewhere in the south? I am heading down there next week and could pick up a couple. 6k baht sounds okay too, thanks....

I went to Panda shop last saturday and it's great. I found some nice Jacket, light colour with CE protection for less than 6000 baht on discount. maybe you should have a look there.

I tried a grey color jacket with CE pads, looked to have great ventilation. I will probably buy it next 2 weeks because my leather jacket is really too heavy and overkill for commuting 20KM to work each day.

That sounds okay, where is the Panda shop, I guess somewhere in the south? I am heading down there next week and could pick up a couple. 6k baht sounds okay too, thanks....

Because i have worked out how to use Google whereas you haven't : here ya go : http://www.pandarider.com/

and just in case you have trouble negotiating the site:

Panda Rider Co.,LTD

81 ซ.ประเสริฐมนูกิจ17 (ลาดปลาเค้า40) ถ.ประเสริฐมนูกิจ (เกษตร-นวมินทร์)

แขวงจรเข้บัว เขตลาดพร้าว กทม. 10230

81 SOI PRASERT MANUKITCH17 (LAT PLA KHAO40),

PRASERT MANUKITCH RD., JORAKAEBUA, LAT PHRAO, BANGKOK 10230, THAILAND

จุดสังเกต ร้านอยู่ที่ต่อมอที่ 78-79 เส้น ถ.ประเสริฐมนูกิจ (เกษตร-นวมินทร์) ข้างโชว์รูม HONDA เลี้ยวซ้ายเข้า ซ.ประเสริฐมนูกิจ17 เพียง 20เมตร เท่านั้น!

Tel : 02-940-4477, 02-940-4779

Fax : 02-940-4440

Mobile : 08-7590-4244 , 08-5943-7555

Open : เวลาทำการ (ปรับเปลี่ยนเวลา ตั้งแต่วันที่ 3 ม.ค. 57 เป็นต้นไป)

จันทร์-เสาร์ = 9:30 - 19:00 น.

Mon-Sat = 9.30 am - 7.00 pm

อาทิตย์ = 14:00 - 19:00 น.

Sun = 2.00 pm - 7.00 pm

GPS : +13° 50' 20.71", +100° 36' 2.85" (GPS from maps.google.com)

GPS : N13° 50.330', E100° 36.052" (GPS from Garmin Zumo 660)

Email : MotulatPandaRider.com @

ico_facebook.gifFacebook.com/PandaRiderDotCom

but be aware the GPS are wrong. they show the office /home address

here are correct GPS: 13.866414,100.591114

jeez they give 2 GPs and both wrong.. embarrassing

Edited by casualbiker
  • Like 1

Panda Rider Co.,LTD

จุดสังเกต ร้านอยู่ที่ต่อมอที่ 78-79 เส้น ถ.ประเสริฐมนูกิจ (เกษตร-นวมินทร์) ข้างโชว์รูม HONDA เลี้ยวซ้ายเข้า ซ.ประเสริฐมนูกิจ17 เพียง 20เมตร เท่านั้น!

Sun = 2.00 pm - 7.00 pm

The first one is correct. +13° 50' 20.71", +100° 36' 2.85"

Panda Rider Co.,LTD

Sun = 2.00 pm - 7.00 pm

Well. I copied and pasted into Google maps and it gave the old house address

. The one I put up was from a street view looking at the shop. Or have they moved again???

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

One problem at the moment, Khon Kaen is bloody freezing at the moment, so I need a black leather jacket...just kidding but it is cold. Crazy weather, don't know about the rest of Thailand, but I have never known it like this, nearly 2 months of cold nights and temperate days.

But will get a couple of those jackets, do they do trousers too......?

^

The reason you don't understand why is because you both refuse to do your own research into what it takes to make a truly protective garment (which would explain why something good isn't cheap), and you refuse to listen to anything people with years of personal experience wearing the gear that's available have to say. You don't want to hear about abrasion resistance, CE-ratings, air-flow, the advantages of combining light and dark colors, etc- all you want to is complain and ask the same questions over-and-over.

As far as your 'skeleton suit' goes, I've twice pointed you in the direction where you could find one online, including the example of the jacket I own, and doing it again seems a proper waste of time. It takes more than 'plastic bits' to make armor that will properly disperse the force of an impact- hitting the ground at 30mph let alone 50mph can permanently incapacitate or kill you, and spending what it take to be properly protected is very much worth it.

It's unfortunately impossible to tell you anything because you steadfastly will not listen to it unless it jibes with your incorrect assumptions.

I know you think you are always right and that my methods are little controversial, but it seems I have a result, thanks to other more open minded contributors.

If you can't see that black ( and other dark colours) is a totally unsuitable colour for a hot weather jacket, especially in leather, perhaps it is because you are impervious to the heat. Please try being a little sympathetic to other people's point of view, we are not all experts, which can be an advantage.

I still think this is not rocket science and there will come a day when someone designs a simple jacket, that the Chinese will copy and make for peanuts for the masses. Until that day 3000 baht is not too bad to save our skins.

Well. I copied and pasted into Google maps and it gave the old house address

. The one I put up was from a street view looking at the shop. Or have they moved again???

You should not rely on Google maps smile.png

Both coordinates on the Panda website are right. Yes, they have moved to "81 SOI PRASERT MANUKITCH17 (LAT PLA KHAO40)", maybe one year ago.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

A few years ago went for a ride during songram from CNX to Tak and I was being cool short sleeve shirt and the sun cooked me or my arms anyway. Finally did the Thai thing and put on my black fleece jacket with long sleeves and guess what I was cooler with it on rather than the direct sunlight beating on me. Yes I was hotter waiting at lights but once I moved cool as the breeze.

RevIt also has some light coulored jackets with high airflow, eg. the Tornado for 8k Baht at PandaRider. Imo this money is well spent.

p_TextileJac_FJT116_4050.jpg

Just FYI on the Tornado jacket- there's a crash-test review with pics on GTR- it didn't hold up well at all in a low-speed low-side and the seams opened up more than I would have expected- it's in the 'safety jackets' thread- I don't want to link to another forum, but you can search for keyword 'Tornado'.