Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End

morrobay

Sad how everyone who lives /visits this city made predictions in the earlier posts about the quality and use of the Beach Rd prominade. The construction company (or is it a group of Burmese working under a city official's relative???) should have taken care of the retaining wall first before laying down the brick---doing only a cosmetic job which didn't last as long as I thought it would. -The erosion which has made the wall and trees to fall into the sea is an eyesore and knowing the city, it will not be fixed (look at the crumbling walkway along Wongamat Beach ). (I am talking about the section across from Gullivers restaurant) I still do not understand the mentality of those who are in charge of the city's projects. If you are going to do something- do it right the first time and do not do a half-arse job. --And what I have said before, instead of spending money on firework displays, music festivals, and other holiday events --- use this money for ONE year and upgrade the potholes and drains in the city. (I know, it is easier to be a social calendar director).

Edited by toenail

I dont think the city is entirely are fault, they are, but there are multimillion dollar establishments on the other side of the road that could afford to maintain the beach that their clients use, or even the footpath right outside their establishments, but they dont care either, so why should the city have a different attitude?

I dont think the city is entirely are fault, they are, but there are multimillion dollar establishments on the other side of the road that could afford to maintain the beach that their clients use, or even the footpath right outside their establishments, but they dont care either, so why should the city have a different attitude?

I do not work for any of these hotels or restaurants along Beach Road but they spend a lot on their own property due to the poor infrastructure in Pattaya...such as maintaining the sidewalks in front of their establishments; making sure they have generators for when the electricity goes out; making sure there is water storage for when the water goes out in the city.... and all the tax they do pay to the city. The Pattaya Bay beach is used as an attraction to draw tourists to the city. It only makes common sense for the city to maintain the beach and to get serious about the erosion.

I do not work for any of these hotels or restaurants along Beach Road but they spend a lot on their own property due to the poor infrastructure in Pattaya...such as maintaining the sidewalks in front of their establishments; making sure they have generators for when the electricity goes out; making sure there is water storage for when the water goes out in the city.... and all the tax they do pay to the city. The Pattaya Bay beach is used as an attraction to draw tourists to the city. It only makes common sense for the city to maintain the beach and to get serious about the erosion.

Emergency power and water I would think is the businesses responsibility, anyway that's the way it is in many places of the world. Are you saying Pattaya businesses pay a property tax to support infrastructure maintenance and improvements?

the reason I posted that is because I have accidentally stood in slimy water and twisted my ankles right outside several of these restaurants and hotels, it would cost about 500b a year to pay someone to fill the holes but they obviously dont care anymore then the city cares

Well, the topic isn't boring for me. I arrive back January 16 and am wondering if I can do my morning laps between Walking Street and Dolphin Circle. Is it all done excepting the pump station bit?

Who can tell!?

Hopefully by Jan 16th these tents, and sheds that are there now, and make the Beach Rd more like a Syrian refugee camp, or a slum in South Africa, than a beach promenade, are bulldoozed down by then. Who knows!

This is Pattaya. If City Hall decides to make this tent city slum a permanent part of Pattaya, I wouldn't be surprised.

I slowly getting used to that there is no place to walk any more, and relax at night, headphones on, watching people. Few more brilliant decisions by City Hall, and I will consider Marocco as winter home.

Uh oh. Looks like I haven't understood some of this thread. I thought the mentions of the stalls and tents were for some weekend special party thang. They do those all the time and after a few days they pack up and leave. Are you telling me this might be permanent?

Oh my buddha. wai.gif

Well, the topic isn't boring for me. I arrive back January 16 and am wondering if I can do my morning laps between Walking Street and Dolphin Circle. Is it all done excepting the pump station bit?

Who can tell!?

Hopefully by Jan 16th these tents, and sheds that are there now, and make the Beach Rd more like a Syrian refugee camp, or a slum in South Africa, than a beach promenade, are bulldoozed down by then. Who knows!

This is Pattaya. If City Hall decides to make this tent city slum a permanent part of Pattaya, I wouldn't be surprised.

I slowly getting used to that there is no place to walk any more, and relax at night, headphones on, watching people. Few more brilliant decisions by City Hall, and I will consider Marocco as winter home.

Uh oh. Looks like I haven't understood some of this thread. I thought the mentions of the stalls and tents were for some weekend special party thang. They do those all the time and after a few days they pack up and leave. Are you telling me this might be permanent?

Oh my buddha. wai.gif

the tents arent permanent yet, but the lack of seating will be because it means they can rent out more tent space

• 1 month later...

The paved Walking Street end is now like a chicane with all the vendors encroaching the walking area. cheesy.gif

OMG. Now I've lost the will to live. Nobody is ever going to walk on the new promenade. All the Beach Rd. hotels will be vacant. It's THE END. Again.

Doomsday harpies, jump in now and add your usual cackles.

Edited by JSixpack

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! If we only had shade to go with them.

What? No confession and apology for false doomsaying after such a long campaign? laugh.png The City never intended to put any benches. The architectural drawing showing some benches was "logically" false, blah blah. To pick out a few:

The City probably does not even want people sitting on benches in the walkway.

Mean ol' City! angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gif Yep, it's all settled:

There will be no shade and no place to sit.

Well, as for the shade, in fact there seems to be quite enough. Lots of people are sitting on the benches. As many people have been walking on the new promenade as on the old promenade--perhaps even more. Been looking downright crowded! Just as I had said:

But you see, despite your prophecies of doom, there may in fact be enough shade after it's finished.

Even if there's not, people will still sit on them, or walk on the promenade, just as they always have at the French Riviera, Daytona Beach, or Ft. Lauderdale, FLA. Note this crappy promenade w/ no big trees, obviously the product of corruption, bribes, and kickbacks:

02-20-09-ft-lauderdale-030.jpg

Ft. Lauderdale

So palm trees can provide shade but not in every last spot. (You can nitpick on that, I guess.) Not even any plastic beach umbrellas here as there are on the Riviera.

Wait and see whether the promenade does in fact get good use during the day. You'll find that it will. Sorry--I know that'll be a big disappointment.

You did the beach umbrellas. Are you sated with whining about the palm trees now? If you're so worried about it, be sure to bring your own umbrella.

On to the next whinge . . . . smile.png

The City probably does not even want people sitting on benches in the walkway.

Mean ol' City! angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gif Yep, it's all settled:

There will be no shade and no place to sit.

Well, as for the shade, in fact there seems to be quite enough. Lots of people are sitting on the benches. As many people have been walking on the new promenade as on the old promenade--perhaps even more. Been looking downright crowded! Just as I had said:

But you see, despite your prophecies of doom, there may in fact be enough shade after it's finished.

Even if there's not, people will still sit on them, or walk on the promenade, just as they always have at the French Riviera, Daytona Beach, or Ft. Lauderdale, FLA. Note this crappy promenade w/ no big trees, obviously the product of corruption, bribes, and kickbacks:

02-20-09-ft-lauderdale-030.jpg

Ft. Lauderdale

So palm trees can provide shade but not in every last spot. (You can nitpick on that, I guess.) Not even any plastic beach umbrellas here as there are on the Riviera.

Wait and see whether the promenade does in fact get good use during the day. You'll find that it will. Sorry--I know that'll be a big disappointment.

You did the beach umbrellas. Are you sated with whining about the palm trees now? If you're so worried about it, be sure to bring your own umbrella.

On to the next whinge . . . . smile.png

Hate to rain on your parade, but you must surely agree that the image of Ft Lauderdale looks far more attractive, you can see the sea and the beach (view not blocked by filthy umbrellas) and the road is not clogged with nose to tail diesel fume emitting baht and tour buses. There wouldn't have been all the debate about seating either had the Pattaya version been finished in the same style with the sea wall acting as the seats.

Hate to rain on your parade, but you must surely agree that the image of Ft Lauderdale looks far more attractive, you can see the sea and the beach (view not blocked by filthy umbrellas) and the road is not clogged with nose to tail diesel fume emitting baht and tour buses. There wouldn't have been all the debate about seating either had the Pattaya version been finished in the same style with the sea wall acting as the seats.

Wrong parade, pal. My post addresses narrowly the claim of "no shade" by a prominent doomsayer as the last promenade show stopper that, in theory, makes it a complete failure: no one will use the promenade unless it has the old growth trees for shade. It is supposedly intolerable with only palm trees! (Though in fact it also has still some of the old growth trees here and there.)

My point, which you were unable to grasp, is that other notable, respected promenades, untainted by the Thai all-things-bad touch, are sufficiently shaded and popular enough even though using only palm trees for shade. Emphasis on shade. The Riviera doesn't even have palm trees and a rocky beach besides; it's done quite well enough. Hence the prophecy of doom had no rational basis, but merely reflected the usual old geezer doom-and-gloom attitude of our resident doomsayers.

And in the end, here in PTY the palm trees are working sufficiently well and, it turns out, haven't had the slighted negative impact on the popularity of the promenade. So there.

In your case, you contradict the laments and cries for the old growth trees as they tended to block the view of the sea and beach now somewhat, in some places, blocked by beach umbrellas. Yet beach umbrellas are hardly anything new and are not a consequence of the building of the new promenade.

So you don't really have an intelligent point. Moreover, your old silly prediction that nobody would be able to walk on the promenade has been proven the utter nonsense that it was.

Edited by JSixpack

Wrong parade, pal. My post addresses narrowly the claim of "no shade" by a prominent doomsayer as the last promenade show stopper that, in theory, makes it a complete failure: no one will use the promenade unless it has the old growth trees for shade. It is supposedly intolerable with only palm trees! (Though in fact it also has still some of the old growth trees here and there.)

My point, which you were unable to grasp, is that other notable, respected promenades, untainted by the Thai all-things-bad touch, are sufficiently shaded and popular enough even though using only palm trees for shade. Emphasis on shade. The Riviera doesn't even have palm trees and a rocky beach besides; it's done quite well enough. Hence the prophecy of doom had no rational basis, but merely reflected the usual old geezer doom-and-gloom attitude of our resident doomsayers.

And in the end, here in PTY the palm trees are working sufficiently well and, it turns out, haven't had the slighted negative impact on the popularity of the promenade. So there.

In your case, you contradict the laments and cries for the old growth trees as they tended to block the view of the sea and beach now somewhat, in some places, blocked by beach umbrellas. Yet beach umbrellas are hardly anything new and are not a consequence of the building of the new promenade.

So you don't really have an intelligent point. Moreover, your old silly prediction that nobody would be able to walk on the promenade has been proven the utter nonsense that it was.

Started to reply but really can't be bothered, I responded to the photo you included which looks so much better than Pattaya's Beach Road attempt and commented to that effect. You clearly have no wish to listen to any opinion other than your own, which I foolishly overlooked when posting.

Incidentally I walked the length of Beach Road today and it was horrible, plenty of breeze but very sunny and with insufficient shade my shirt was wringing wet when I had finished.

I live across from Beach Rd and must admit, the new Beach Rd. promenade is a lot nice than before. True, it is sad that the old trees (that provided shade and kept the shoreline from eroding, were cut down. But the widen walk path along the beach provides more space for people to walk. I notice more people in the evening and night using the prominade and also sitting along the area because I think they feel safer. The sad part of the new prominade are the "loose ends" where certain projects were not 100% completed -- such as the brick not all locked in or the debris laying around. (But this is Pattaya where the city officials don't seem to inspect the work that is done for the city.) Next fault are the lack of walking police. It would make sense (again this is Pattaya) to have a walking patrol during the day time and night time. (Do all the men in brown stand around and give tickets to the motor bike folks?). The walking police on the prominade to stop the "arse-hole" locals that ride their motor bikes on the walkway; give out tickets to the pick-up trucks that park on the walkway blasting their music at night. Having the security cameras around is a joke.

• Like 1

I live across from Beach Rd and must admit, the new Beach Rd. promenade is a lot nice than before. True, it is sad that the old trees (that provided shade and kept the shoreline from eroding, were cut down. But the widen walk path along the beach provides more space for people to walk. I notice more people in the evening and night using the prominade and also sitting along the area because I think they feel safer. The sad part of the new prominade are the "loose ends" where certain projects were not 100% completed -- such as the brick not all locked in or the debris laying around. (But this is Pattaya where the city officials don't seem to inspect the work that is done for the city.) Next fault are the lack of walking police. It would make sense (again this is Pattaya) to have a walking patrol during the day time and night time. (Do all the men in brown stand around and give tickets to the motor bike folks?). The walking police on the prominade to stop the "arse-hole" locals that ride their motor bikes on the walkway; give out tickets to the pick-up trucks that park on the walkway blasting their music at night. Having the security cameras around is a joke.

It does appear to be wider iin some spots and much narrower in others (they did, after all, build another lane where the old walking path was). It is a shame the old-growth trees were cut down as they provided massive shade. The introduction of sitting areas is a plus, but we had that with the old plan. It remains to be seen how much shade the palm trees will provide during the approaching hot season. The picture of the beach walking area in Ft. Lauderdale (posted by a different poster) illustrates what they city could have done in terms of seating. That curved design is nice and would have provided seating facing both the road traffic and ocean. Still, in the extremely hot season in Thailand you need shade and lots of it. I wish they would have kept the old-growth trees and added palm trees too. I can think of one positive development: the pier-like wooden structures that they built.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Last week I walked from the top of Beach Road to Royal Garden Plaza and must admit it's a definite improvement. Although some parts are unshaded it's only because the trees have yet to fully grow and it's certainly tidier and a more pleasant walking environment. I had no need to use the benches but their addition, which some seemed to think would never happen, is nice for those who want to sit.

It's interesting reading this thread from the beginning with all the outrage and ridiculous comments! But I guess that's what ThaiVisa is for!

Edited by brewsterbudgen

Next fault are the lack of walking police. It would make sense (again this is Pattaya) to have a walking patrol during the day time and night time. (Do all the men in brown stand around and give tickets to the motor bike folks?). The walking police on the prominade to stop the "arse-hole" locals that ride their motor bikes on the walkway; give out tickets to the pick-up trucks that park on the walkway blasting their music at night. Having the security cameras around is a joke.

Incidentally I walked the length of Beach Road today and it was horrible, plenty of breeze but very sunny and with insufficient shade my shirt was wringing wet when I had finished.

Yesterday was pretty hot, princess. You see, we're moving into the hot season now. Nevertheless, I saw plenty of tourists sunning themselves on the beach yesterday enjoying the heat as you were complaining about it. If you'd walked the entire length of the old promenade, you'd also have been sweating. Seems thousands of tourists this high season found the new promenade comfortable enough. I've seen lots of old geezers walking on it, too.

Incidentally, I and countless motorbike drivers felt a lot cooler than we would have otherwise 'cause traffic moved so well owing to the extra lane. smile.png

As I predicted, the new promenade made no discernible difference to the numbers walking on it. You won't be missed. Just because YOU and our hardcore doomsayers don't like it (as they didn't like Central Festival, Big C, the moving of a few beer bars off Beach Rd., relocating a few on 2nd Rd., blah, blah) doesn't mean that many more don't find it acceptable or even better. See some positive reviews above.

Actually, gmac, you didn't care for the previous promenades either. Are we just hard to please, dear? Expecting Santa Barbara at Chang prices are we?

. . . the 2/3 previous incarnations of the Beach Road promenade haven't been such success stories

It's true: the old promenade was hardly perfect. In fact, there'd been a steady drip of complaints about it over the years; the same will be true of this promenade (and of most everything else in PTY, LOL).

@thaibeachlovers, on 31 Jul 2013 - 10:50, said: BTW, the previous walkway was never "better". It was rubbish.

And so, when the work first started, a year before completion, gmac, you were easily able to think that the new promenade would have no room on it for anyone to walk. It would, I guess, be narrower than a footpath:

. . . it looks as if they are destroying the whole of the pavement area so it will end up with a road beside the beach with little or no space at all for pedestrians to walk.

OMG! No more pedestrians! Or walking in the street only, to their certain deaths!

WHAT a reach, stretching to the very upper rungs of TV doomsayin'. Well, turned out wider in most places even with the extra lane, which has been of great relief to the traffic situation on Beach Rd.

Well, I do love laughing at TV doomsayin' by our old geezers. Change somethin' to which they imagined themselves entitled in perpetuity--which may in fact have some greater benefits (not just to City Hall wallets, ha, ha)--and watch as they don robes to engage in most amusing Old Testament prophesyin' to invoke DOOM on the wicked Thais responsible for the "disaster." Tourism will end; the city will be abandoned, soi dogs starving among the bones!

it is almost not

usable during daylight hours..This has to be killing business big time in the shops along

the beach during the day...The fun factor is about zero walking beach road during the day now.

Please don't even tell me the promenade is good for families now...Families will be staying

far away from this hot boring place...

Pattaya a beach resort with a 3rd rate beach,where people are afraid to swim in the water

now with a promenade like the Sahara desert..

Why even bother staying at a beach front hotel any more...

All nonsense. Promenade popular; business good; plenty of families (not that I care about families); traffic MUCH better; beach hotels well booked throughout the season--my friend called 5 and could find no rooms available. My favorite short-time hotel near the beach has been fully booked for a couple weeks now. And barring some REAL disaster (cue midas on the coming global apocalypse) will next year and the year after . . . .

So it goes. biggrin.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1