Thailand To Change From Left To Right Hand Driving

Lite Beer

The funniest part is "However busses, trucks and taxis will be exempted as they are driven by professional drivers who can handle their vehicle safely."

wont make any difference which side of rd they drive? they all over rds now ,.

good aprils fool joke i think

Edited by Gary2164

The last country to change was, I believe, Sweden in the late 60s.

Italy changed between the wars, and in typical Italian fashion, changed gradually. Cities with trams were allowed to continue driving on the left (Rome was one) provided they posted signs at the city limits.

Sorry I think you are wrong! I worked in Nigeria in the 70's and they changed then believe it or not on April 1st. Every junction was patrolled by boy scouts to help it run smoothly. They had many crazy ideas how they would carry out the change one being heavy goods vehicles would change to the right one week before the cars did. Obviously it never happened. I think it could be "Happy April Fool", but nothing would surprise me here. TIT.

Edited by Stuartvn1

I am from Sweden and old enough to have experienced tha left to right change, It was done over night and went like a charm, BUT the amount of cars in Sweden at that time was only some percent of the thai ditto today.

I have no problem switching between left and right driving but realise that the number of incidents increases when do so. The amount of incidents thats gonna happen in Thailand will be so many that a huge number of accidents is unavoidable.

The idea of not be able to sell "wrong" car is ridicolous. It will only result in angry people voting for dems next time, and may be that is a good thing. A tax rebate for changing steering is also ridicolous since very few thais pay tax any way.

Go for it, it is in all good for Thailand but get prepared amd stay inside the first months.

• Like 1

Just remind me, whats the date today? Oh yes, its APRIL FOOLS DAY!!!

Calm down everyone......although the prospect of seeing everyone here who cant drive on the left suddenly trying to drive on the right is very funny......congratulations whoever wrote this you had me fooled for five minutes!!

So, because its an inconvenience for the TOURISTA, the locals must "adapt?" Insane.

I'm from the USA and we drive on the right side of the road, so this should make me happy, right? (no pun intended)

Its sheer lunacy. If tourists cannot adapt, then too bad.

If I am reading this correctly, the only change is what side of the car that the steering wheel is going to be put on. You will still drive in the same lanes as you do now. When you park, you will just get out of your car on the curb side, instead of in the street. Am I reading this correctly?

A shucks - A good April Fool .. a quick google produced this vast listing:

3 results (0.16 seconds)

Did you mean: Thongchai Matchamonton

Search Results

www.rideasia.net Forum General Forum General Discussion

5 posts - 3 authors

According to Tongchai Matchamonton, spokesman for the department, the change is being proposed to better prepare for ASEAN community ...

Thailand To Change From Left To Right Hand Driving - Thailand News ...

www.thaivisa.com Thailand Forum News Thailand News

1 hour ago According to Tongchai Matchamonton, spokesman for the department, the change is being proposed to better prepare for ASEAN community ...

Thailand to Change to Right Hand Driving

www.ajarnforum.net ... The News Rooms Thailand News Clippings

14 mins ago According to Tongchai Matchamonton, spokesman for the department, the change is being proposed to better prepare for ASEAN community ...