Who To Call ?

jbrain

Last night I had some thoughts as I had experienced a false alarm during the day, caused by some birds.

I live in a quite rural area in NongPlalai, in the sense that the nearest house at each side is at least 100-200 meters away.My house is secured by a sofisticated and powerful security system, but when the alarm goes of I doubt any of the neighbours will even look up from the soap series they're watching.

So assume in the middle of the night a drugged up and armed burglar climbs over the wall, and activates the alarm system, who you gonna call?

The police. What's the number ?

I remember many years ago I called the national emergency number 191, and got a response from someone in Bangkok, who didn't speak any English.Difficult to explain what's the issue isn't it?

So even if the other side of the line would be able to understand you, and you are able to give your location, what gonna happen.

I know in Europe police is patrolling the streets 24/7 so if there is a problem they get radioed and show up anytime soon.

What I understand from Thailand is that the police stops working at 11pm and only a handful of officers stay present in the police office to take complaints from walk ins.

Also the address system here is so complicated that whenever I give my correct address details to any Thai, even living in the same district, I will always have to mention some nearby landmarks if not send tham a map how to drive.

So if I manage to contact the police office in an emergency at 3am, what time they gonna show up.At 9am in the morning when the day shift starts working ?

Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, there are police on a variety of shifts 24 hours a day with Thai police volunteers augmenting their numbers. Those working outside of the station are on radio call. The number of your nearest police station or box should be sussed out by you. The issue of not getting an English speaker is akin to not getting a Thai speaker at a UK police station number. You can get a Thai to record on a small cassette player your address in as much detail as makes sense along with a message that explains it is a recording and that someone has broken into your house. Beyond that, there is little I can suggest.

• Like 2

Calling the Tourist Police would give more chance of speaking to someone who understood English, but that would take additional time. Petercool s suggestion of a recoded message is good, 'shots fired' (in Thai of course), would be a good addition.

There used to be security companies with monitoring stations who would send some one out (often an off duty copper, armed) automatically in the event of an alarm being triggered.

I do not live in Pattaya so do not know current situation.

Calling the Tourist Police would give more chance of speaking to someone who understood English, but that would take additional time. Petercool s suggestion of a recoded message is good, 'shots fired' (in Thai of course), would be a good addition.

There used to be security companies with monitoring stations who would send some one out (often an off duty copper, armed) automatically in the event of an alarm being triggered.

Have you tired getting an answer from the tourist police number? I tried it and gave up after about the 10th go.

I had an incident, though not serious, it could have been, when I was trapped in the bedroom thanks to a faulty door catch and iron bars on the windows.

No matter whose number I phoned, I could not get an answer. The police numbers I used kept ringing for ever.

1) I would suggest calling in at your local police station to get a number to call, either theirs or the correct number at the main police station.

2) I would also get the number of the fire brigade.

3) Get the number(s) of the local rescue people too.

I'd think all of this information for you and your area would be available at the main police station on soi 9 off beach road.

I also added a couple of m/c taxi numbers of m/c taxis that I use regularly and that know me, to use as a last resort.

Have you tired getting an answer from the tourist police number? I tried it and gave up after about the 10th go.

I don't know now, but I've had a similar experience several years ago from the 4 digit tourist police number.

@Thaidown : I'm aware of the foreigner run security companies which cost a handful of money each month, but I was rather interested in the community service called police.

I had an incident, though not serious, it could have been, when I was trapped in the bedroom thanks to a faulty door catch and iron bars on the windows.

No matter whose number I phoned, I could not get an answer. The police numbers I used kept ringing for ever.

1) I would suggest calling in at your local police station to get a number to call, either theirs or the correct number at the main police station.

I'd think all of this information for you and your area would be available at the main police station on soi 9 off beach road.

I also added a couple of m/c taxi numbers of m/c taxis that I use regularly and that know me, to use as a last resort.

Above advises makes good sense.

We also had several door handles fail in our house, one time I had to kick the door in to one of the toilets in order to free my wife.

Another time our infant son got "trapped" in the office next to the living room and I was not there so my wife used a hammer to destroy the door handle and could eventually free our screaming son.

Crap doorhandles/catches.

The though about an intruder in your home is very scary, there have been stories about people having being killed by them (not often, thankfully).

I live in a gated Moo Baan so I fell pretty safe and I am only here 6 month a year as I go overseas for work so it's important that my wife also fell safe when she is alone with our young boy.

• Like 1

I'm just glad I live in a condo.

This have been discussed again and again.

We just had a barbecue out on the lawn and afterwards I played a bit of foot ball with my son. During the whole exercise about 4-5 families passed out on the small soi and they all politely said hallo and went on their way.

No elevators, no drunken Russians, no infants drops over the balcony and dies.

As a family it's a bad idea to live in a condo, unless you can afford a 300M2 one (I can't).

Rant over.

• Like 1

Above advises makes good sense.

We also had several door handles fail in our house, one time I had to kick the door in to one of the toilets in order to free my wife.

Another time our infant son got "trapped" in the office next to the living room and I was not there so my wife used a hammer to destroy the door handle and could eventually free our screaming son.

Crap doorhandles/catches.

The though about an intruder in your home is very scary, there have been stories about people having being killed by them (not often, thankfully).

I live in a gated Moo Baan so I fell pretty safe and I am only here 6 month a year as I go overseas for work so it's important that my wife also fell safe when she is alone with our young boy.

Here's my advice in a similar postion but only away a month at a time, install a decent alarm system, which calls your wifes phone and a friends phone if it goes off, if you can find a "friendly" policeman's mobile phone number all the better ( may cost you)

replace the crap door locks/handles with decent ones, they are availible

consider replacing key internal doors (ie main bedroom) with solid wood doors with proper locks, and properly installed (most internal doors are hollow core, and very easy to break through)

If you have sliding doors, get proper locks on them, which keep the door inside the frame, if someone tries to remove the whole door (sliding doors are typically very easy to lift out the frame)

We just had a barbecue out on the lawn and afterwards I played a bit of foot ball with my son. During the whole exercise about 4-5 families passed out on the small soi and they all politely said hallo and went on their way.

Actually I think you will find that there are plenty of drunken Russians living in houses here.

Elevators? I have no problem with them.

Infants dropping over the balcony? I dont have an infant and dont want one, but if I did have one over the balcony would seem to be a good place for it. Many people choose to live in condos precisely because there are fewer families and no ball games allowed.

As for 5 local families passing out in the soi, it does indeed make a change from drunken Russians on the sidewalk. But the passed-out Thai families are much more difficult to drive around.

Actually I think you will find that there are plenty of drunken Russians living in houses here.

Elevators? I have no problem with them.

Infants dropping over the balcony? I dont have an infant and dont want one, but if I did have one over the balcony would seem to be a good place for it. Many people choose to live in condos precisely because there are fewer families and no ball games allowed.

As for 5 local families passing out in the soi, it does indeed make a change from drunken Russians on the sidewalk. But the passed-out Thai families are much more difficult to drive around.

I once met someone who lived under a bridge in Paris, they call them clochards over there, and he said he wouldn't want to swap his residence with Mitterand. whistling.gif

valid worry, sorry do not know who to call, but can make a suggestion which i have seen works like a charm

MY neighbor was constantly getting robbed.

He installed electric fence/wires on top of the gates all around the house (company that does it came out from BKK, can get you the number if you like)

Not sure what voltage, but it is very visible and looks sort of like miniature power lines.

By the way, never been robbed since or had any attempts.

valid worry, sorry do not know who to call, but can make a suggestion which i have seen works like a charm

He installed electric fence/wires on top of the gates all around the house (company that does it came out from BKK, can get you the number if you like)

Not sure what voltage, but it is very visible and looks sort of like miniature power lines.

This isn't about security systems. As I said I have a quite sofisticated security system whereby as soon as one pulls hinself up on the wall, he doesn't have to get on the wall for that, the alarm system goes off and it is LOUD and the whole plot is lighted as if it's in the middle of the day. From the moment his face comes above the wall every second a picture of him is taken and sent straight to my email, and this as long as he is visible anywhere in the compound.

At the same time text messages are sent to pre programmed mobile numbers.

Everything is secured by UPS which lasts at least 6 hours, so cutting the power is no help.

But imagine an armed ice head climbs over your wall. He doesn't hear the blaring horns or sees the blinding lights, because he's in on another planet and wants that laptop or whatever inside your house, and has a weapon in his hand.

Of course I can also purchase a weapon and shoot him to another solar system, but the next 10 -15 years I will spend not far from my residence at Pattaya remand prison.

Edit to add: I'm aware of the electric fences, they look like the walls from the prison.

Edited by jbrain

This isn't about security systems. As I said I have a quite sofisticated security system whereby as soon as one pulls hinself up on the wall, he doesn't have to get on the wall for that, the alarm system goes off and it is LOUD and the whole plot is lighted as if it's in the middle of the day. From the moment his face comes above the wall every second a picture of him is taken and sent straight to my email, and this as long as he is visible anywhere in the compound.

Everything is secured by UPS which lasts at least 6 hours, so cutting the power is no help.

But imagine an armed ice head climbs over your wall. He doesn't hear the blaring horns or sees the blinding lights, because he's in on another planet and wants that laptop or whatever inside your house, and has a weapon in his hand.

Of course I can also purchase a weapon and shoot him to another solar system, but the next 10 -15 years I will spend not far from my residence at Pattaya remand prison.

Edit to add: I'm aware of the electric fences, they look like the walls from the prison.

May be i did not explain it well or you missed it

As you said, if someone climbs over, your system will scream loud but no one to call to help.

The one i am talking about, does not make any sounds, nor does it sms anyone, it simply electrocutes intruder, so no one can climb over, no matter armed or not.

I do not believe it kills, but does some serious damage. It is properly installed with plenty of warning signs.

PS. just saw your edit. Its not a fence, but i think 3-4 wires running on top of your gates. Yes it may remind you of prison, but would you prefer safety or the looks :)

Edited by lemoncake

As you said, if someone climbs over, your system will scream loud but no one to call to help.

The one i am talking about, does not make any sounds, nor does it sms anyone, it simply electrocutes intruder, so no one can climb over, no matter armed or not.

I do not believe it kills, but does some serious damage. It is properly installed with plenty of warning signs.

PS. just saw your edit. Its not a fence, but i think 3-4 wires running on top of your gates. Yes it may remind you of prison, but would you prefer safety or the looks smile.png

Ever heard about cutting pliers or rubber mats ?

The same system is also popular in South Africa, which I admit is much more criminal than Thailand, but there they advice that a system with less then 10 wires isn't effective anymore and it is combined with an alarm system which goes of if one cuts the wires.

And this is how it looks ef-DSC02367.jpg

Edited by jbrain

PS. just saw your edit. Its not a fence, but i think 3-4 wires running on top of your gates. Yes it may remind you of prison, but would you prefer safety or the looks smile.png

The same system is also popular in South Africa, which I admit is much more criminal than Thailand, but there they advice that a system with less then 10 wires isn't effective anymore and it is combined with an alarm system which goes of if one cuts the wires.

YOu do not need to convince me, i am only offering you an option which i have seen works.

This wires i believe can not be cut easily and i seriously doubt a robber will be bringing cutters and rubber mats to the job, when there are easier marks to do.

But, sure, get your security system to send sms and make sounds while you wait 1-whatever hours for police to arrive.

What do you think is better alternative?

I have barb wire around my place and no problems at all, while everyone one else in the village keeps getting robbed besides me and the neighbor with electric system

The problem of rescue services not finding your home is a big problem. If your in an estate, then its easy to give the estate name and street, but if your out in the sticks, the road may not even have a name or the name is never used. I had that problem before, when a friend had an accident and needed medical attention. The ambulance couldnt find the house, so had to ask at a bar, and it just so happened, that the estate owner was at the bar. After the ambulance arrived and picked up my friend, then they asked me how to get to the highway, so I had to drive ahead of them, to show the road. You would think that they have GPS, but they didnt, and this was an ambulance from BKK hospital.

• Like 1

Well, I know Lemoncake has entered the thread and will not give up, but to be clear, this thread is NOT a discussion about which is the best security system but WHO to call in case of emergency.

Well, I know Lemoncake has entered the thread and will not give up, but to be clear, this thread is NOT a discussion about which is the best security system but WHO to call in case of emergency.

Very sorry for trying to help

Just keep on looking who to call and as you said yourself

So if I manage to contact the police office in an emergency at 3am, what time they gonna show up.At 9am in the morning when the day shift starts working ?

The problem of rescue services not finding your home is a big problem. If your in an estate, then its easy to give the estate name and street, but if your out in the sticks, the road may not even have a name or the name is never used. I had that problem before, when a friend had an accident and needed medical attention. The ambulance couldnt find the house, so had to ask at a bar, and it just so happened, that the estate owner was at the bar. After the ambulance arrived and picked up my friend, then they asked me how to get to the highway, so I had to drive ahead of them, to show the road. You would think that they have GPS, but they didnt, and this was an ambulance from BKK hospital.

This is exactly the point of this thread. As another poster mentioned already, even if you call the police the phone might be answered or not.

I'm sure there must be an answer to my question.

It isn't about not appreciating your help, which might be useful in another thread, but the topic of this thread is Who to call in case of emergency at 3am.

I have been thinking about the Sawang Boriboon number, but I don't know if that is an option in case of a burglary.

Any idea's ?

It isn't about not appreciating your help, which might be useful in another thread, but the topic of this thread is Who to call in case of emergency at 3am.

I have been thinking about the Sawang Boriboon number, but I don't know if that is an option in case of a burglary.

Any idea's ?

No one, as Thailand is NOT set up for this.

Police will not come out in the middle of the night

Tourist police most certainly will not

The rescue service is for accidents and medical emergency's not for crime fighting.

There is no one to call for immediate assistance, perhaps if you were shot, they might come sooner, providing there are enough officers awake and not too drunk.

This is why i suggested the electric fence for you, as home break ins are usually crack heads and desperadoes who go for an easy prey.

The siren and being electrocuted is enough deterrent to keep most of them away

And this is how it looks ef-DSC02367.jpg

always a pity they banned the flame throwers in the cars in SA, could have been adapted for home protection...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I am very confused by this thread...TV members are always claiming "contacts" and being friends with high ranking personages in Thailand, ie generals, high ranking plods etc..yet no one seems to be able to get a plod to come out at 03:00am in the morning, should be a piece of cake with all those high ranking contacts they have...rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Any idea's ?

Lemoncake told you, you can't expect a response, let alone a swift one. Maybe a private security service that gets alarmed automatically when a burglar triggers your alarm, one of my neighbours has that. Not been tested yet in a real life scenario.

Get a gun with a license, it's possible for foreigners. Leave it always at home, though, and refresh how to use firearms in a local shooting range.

Any idea's ?

Lemoncake told you, you can't expect a response, let alone a swift one. Maybe a private security service that gets alarmed automatically when a burglar triggers your alarm, one of my neighbours has that. Not been tested yet in a real life scenario.

Get a gun with a license, it's possible for foreigners. Leave it always at home, though, and refresh how to use firearms in a local shooting range.

Maybe you could enlighten us on the requirements for a foreigner to receive a gun license. For sure it not gonne be easy.

There are a few issues to gun ownership. You need to show that you have the right business that you are protecting along with a few other things. Then there is the issue of what rights you have to shoot anyone who breaks into your house. The degree of danger to you or family members comes into play, the degree of threat from the intruder comes into play and under most circumstances everything is very difficult to prove so ....

• Like 1