Where Can I Buy A High-Quality Swingarm Stand?

Thats your opinion. Knowing who the op is i am sure he knows how to use a phone and make his own decision.

Dirt shop only list one stand that is not at all suitable for the OP.

20120929170249_0000-Matrix-Concepts-M2-W

I like that ABBA stand, reckon I'll make me one for my SR.

I was there on friday and they have what the op needs and a lot more. It is one of the best shops in thailand with original equipment.

Yet your link was useless as they do not have listed what the OP requires.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DMP stand is the one I have. It is well made and works okay, but like I said, this type of stand has limitations. And if the tire is flat, you lose the leverage and must really muscle it up. DMP also makes a "front stand." I bought one. It is worthless and is nothing but a recipe for dumping your bike. I have a scratch on my tank to remind me what a POS the DMP front stand is.

Edited by Ticketmaster

my bike is a little lighter then yours and you know i am cheap. This is the stand i am going to buy. http://www.mocyc.com/market580683/

Thats assuming its not a copy the reviews have been good.

But may be to narrow for your bike

Very similar to the ones Brian Has at Sumet and to the blue ones on Sukhumvit 71. I checked my bike and there is no where for the hi-tech ones to attach. Cannot do the swingarm pivot type .

Got a price on the ABBA stand- 264GBP shipped, or 11,800 baht (shipping alone via FedEx is 164GDP)- I'm still thinking about it as I do like the stand nd in the end it will still come out to about the same as the TBR stand I'm considering, but that's really expensive.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Got a price on the ABBA stand- 264GBP shipped, or 11,800 baht (shipping alone via FedEx is 164GDP)- I'm still thinking about it as I do like the stand nd in the end it will still come out to about the same as the TBR stand I'm considering, but that's really expensive.

I am sure you and I received the same e-mail or maybe not. If we ordered together, we would split the shipping down the middle (the shipping is the same for two). However, I WILL NOT get ANYTHING through FedEx. You'll get nailed in the bung for import duty. The Royal Post option for £183.00 will save money. Even if we get hit for duty, the Thai Post NEVER gives you the raping you get from FedEx. So, if we buy together, shipping drops to £91.50 each.

Also, I am not in a giant hurry. I sent another inquiry about the European version (some assembly required that has a lower shipping cost, but is out of stock for the next 6-8 weeks. I also have inquiries in with the New Zealand and Hong Kong dealers.

I have attached my entire thread with Abba here:

Abba E-mail Thread.pdf

I haven't had any particular issues with FedEx (I usually get hit with the same 30% + VAT charge no matter the shipping method- I was charged this on a package I received last week via USPS) and I would go for that method over Royal Mail (the RM 'small packet' mail usually comes in without a charge, but anything as large and heavy as these stands will certainly be scrutinized). The import cost is based on the customs declared value, which will be the same regardless of carrier.

I'm curious to hear how it works out for you, but as I really can't wait up to 10 weeks (the time-frame I was quoted for the 'assembly version', and, frankly, I don't like the sound of that...), I will most likely order one this week via FedEx (if I order one at all).

I have to agree with ticketM. I will never order through dhl, ups or fedex to thailand. Usps, royal post and air frieght are my choices. I am not sure what customs catagory the stand is but all goods have a different % rate.

You know that abba stand is as basic a project as can be.

It is in many ways the same as the ones we use to build for our dirt bikes
Except the little feet would instead be the 2' long handle you pushed down with your foot.
When it hit the ground the bike was at that point tipped into place. The exact same principle as
this stand.

I know someone said they would not trust welders here in Thailand but this is a super easy
project. If one were worried the only stress points could be plated with a triangle plate
doubler for strength.

Could be a good project for someone to make some side $$$ here whistling.gif

Edited by mania

So you think FedEx gets hit with a higher rate than what's actually on the books? I was in a customs office last week and they had packages from different carriers and countries- they were referring to the same (quite large) book for the tax rate (using the declared shipping value- I saw them actually do this, and they both questioned me as to the contents as well as opened the box for an inspection) regardless of the source- like I said, my (big) USPS-shipped package was hit with the standard duty.

I definitely believe that some things slip through, but the actual value of the stand is ~$150- the customs fee is going to be ~$50 regardless (as this item is way too heavy to avoid notice). The problem is the shipping fee- even if Royal Mail could somehow save another 1K in taxes (which I personally doubt, though I concede I could be wrong), it costs another 1K so it's a wash.

It's nothing personal against Ticketmaster, but as we aren't personally acquainted I think we would both be better off acting individually (I might actually be a Nigerian scam artist who gets rich off dodgy motorcycle stand deals- you never know.;))

Edited by RubberSideDown

You know that abba stand is as basic a project as can be.

It is in many ways the same as the ones we use to build for our dirt bikes

Except the little feet would instead be the 2' long handle you pushed down with your foot.

When it hit the ground the bike was at that point tipped into place. The exact same principle as

this stand.

I know someone said they would not trust welders here in Thailand but this is a super easy

project. If one were worried the only stress points could be plated with a triangle plate

doubler for strength.

Could be a good project for someone to make some side $$$ here :whistling:

Possibly, but my heavy bike sure isn't going to be the test subject- I'll wait until a few other bikes have kissed the pavement and the bugs get worked out.

Do you want to be first...?;)

Possibly, but my heavy bike sure isn't going to be the test subject- I'll wait until a few other bikes have kissed the pavement and the bugs get worked out.

Do you want to be first...?wink.png

Sure I would

But then again it is a personal choice.

I understand if someone is worried. Of course then

it is best they trust someone they feel is better at it.

But better at what? Steel is steel. When looking at the design

what do you feel would be a fail point?

It really is a simple design & there is no real stress due to using box section steel

When vertical the steel itself would have to melt or fail & since it is a box I really dont

see the weight of even a Harley causing that.

When lifting your holding the bike anyway...Not that I see anything to fail

there either. If your using good box steel it is not like it is going to

bend while lifting.

Of course doing it yourself you will pick the materials so

that should be a non-issue.

Look at simple car jacks & think of the weight they support

Bikes do not even come close.

Edited by mania

Well, I don't agree that 'steel is steel' for starters, and all welds are certainly not equal (which is where I would feel least confident, especially leaving the bike on it overnight or longer), but, regardless, I trust experience and R&D over the vast amount of poor workmanship I've seen in Thailand- I'd rather pay more and feel confident than pay less and worry. I've been burned before, and I don't want to learn another hard lesson.

I see your point, but I'm going to buy peace-of-mind (if I do indeed buy this ABBA stand)- I have no doubts in the quality of it, and I might also add the front wheel lift, which adds more complexity to the project (not to mention the bespoke swing arm fitting kit the basic stand requires).

Edited by RubberSideDown

Well, I don't agree that 'steel is steel' for starters, and all welds are certainly not equal (which is where I would feel least confident, especially leaving the bike on it overnight or longer), but, regardless, I trust experience and R&D over the vast amount of poor workmanship I've seen in Thailand- I'd rather pay more and feel confident than pay less and worry. I've been burned before, and I don't want to learn another hard lesson.

I see your point, but I'm going to buy peace-of-mind (if I do indeed buy this ABBA stand)- I have no doubts in the quality of it, and I might also add the front wheel lift, which adds more complexity to the project.

What I meant is steel is graded so you can safely buy a grade you want for the purpose/strength you need.

As for welds that design is so stress free they do not even use any gussets or plate doublers over the joints.

Reason is there is no stress at all on the joints.

The stand just rocks from one bottom edge of the square bottom steel member to the flat that is all.

Basically they built two simple members one is a T & one is a L

The T is welded on all four sides same as the L section

The two legs that are set at a 30-45 degree angle are just plate steel

with a simple weld on 3 sides.

But yes peace of mind is an individual choice & it does look like a nice stand that

I am sure you will be happy with. It is a interesting design in that it uses the swingarm pivot point

negating any need for spools which is a nice feature. Although they do need a few different kits to fit the various

bikes it is a good idea for a lift point. I also like that it will not compress the rear suspension at all so it gives you

another feature & that is being able to measure the unloaded suspension travel.

It doesn't need spools, but it needs special adapters to attach to the swing arm pivot point.

A few companies copy the design, but I would imagine they had an original example to use as a prototype and measuring guide- I'd rather not give a local guy a YouTube vid and a few pics and say 'make me this'.

In any case, I really didn't want to fabricate anything- TM made an excellent suggestion in ABBA and the more I look at it the more I like it. I don't mind saving some money, but it's a secondary concern.

but i am sure Thai made ones should be OK as there are many hayabusas or track machines i have seen are using Thai Made or custom design stands with no problems as well - maybe they change the stand every couple of years though:).

You cannot go wrong with ABBA and as i stated it is best for peace of mind but all these riders in Thailand i am sure not stupid or poor to hang their two - three times more expensive than USA priced high displacement big bikes on a Thai made stand too if they are that bad.

Post a photo of the stand once you get it.

Edited by loserlazer

So you think FedEx gets hit with a higher rate than what's actually on the books? I was in a customs office last week and they had packages from different carriers and countries- they were referring to the same (quite large) book for the tax rate (using the declared shipping value- I saw them actually do this, and they both questioned me as to the contents as well as opened the box for an inspection) regardless of the source- like I said, my (big) USPS-shipped package was hit with the standard duty.

I definitely believe that some things slip through, but the actual value of the stand is ~$150- the customs fee is going to be ~$50 regardless (as this item is way too heavy to avoid notice). The problem is the shipping fee- even if Royal Mail could somehow save another 1K in taxes (which I personally doubt, though I concede I could be wrong), it costs another 1K so it's a wash.

It's nothing personal against Ticketmaster, but as we aren't personally acquainted I think we would both be better off acting individually (I might actually be a Nigerian scam artist who gets rich off dodgy motorcycle stand deals- you never know.wink.png)

Besides computers, cameras, etc., take a look at this list accessories I have added to my ER6n.

Accessories for ER6n W-Links.pdf

I did not pay one baht in duty for any of it until Tim Mayhew of Pashit.com broke his promise and shipped me an item with company logo packaging. Over $10,000US worth of stuff by USPS to Thai Post and never any duty except that one time. That said, I normally do not trust sellers. I have the stuff shipped to a friend who repackages in a used box, hand writes the label and uses stamps instead of a postage meter.

FedEx uses private inhouse customs agents and the nail everything. I suspect that the private agents get a percentage of what they collect. In the US, I was a long time and loyal customer of FedEx. It is shameful what they allow to go on here. Several years ago, a friend sent me a toy stuffed rabbit from the US for my birthday (it was a joke). He declared it and declared the value as $14 (the true cost) and enclosed the receipt. He had a FedEx account and check the box on the airbill to bill the shipper for any taxes or duty. I got the rabbit, but he did not get his Visa bill until the following month. They charged $45 US dollars in duty! And what could he do about it? It was a done deal. Try to file an international appeal a month after the fact? Motorcycle parts, if they tax you, are at 30%.

I just did a deal with another TV member who lives in Laos. We both wanted a chipper/shredder. I found a great discount deal for buying two and transport to Laos for only about 500 baht. With the deal, the machines cost 31,500 baht each. I bought them, with one shipped directly from the factory to the transport company, he sent me the money. No problems; we are both happy. Life has risks. Risk averse people should not take chances. But then you miss a lot of life's enjoyment. And, I, too, could be a Nigerian scam artist.

Edited by Ticketmaster

I see your point, but I'm going to buy peace-of-mind (if I do indeed buy this ABBA stand)- I have no doubts in the quality of it, and I might also add the front wheel lift, which adds more complexity to the project.

What I meant is steel is graded so you can safely buy a grade you want for the purpose/strength you need.

As for welds that design is so stress free they do not even use any gussets or plate doublers over the joints.

Reason is there is no stress at all on the joints.

The stand just rocks from one bottom edge of the square bottom steel member to the flat that is all.

Basically they built two simple members one is a T & one is a L

The T is welded on all four sides same as the L section

The two legs that are set at a 30-45 degree angle are just plate steel

with a simple weld on 3 sides.

But yes peace of mind is an individual choice & it does look like a nice stand that

I am sure you will be happy with. It is a interesting design in that it uses the swingarm pivot point

negating any need for spools which is a nice feature. Although they do need a few different kits to fit the various

bikes it is a good idea for a lift point. I also like that it will not compress the rear suspension at all so it gives you

another feature & that is being able to measure the unloaded suspension travel.

I agree 100% about having it made here. There are some good welders around (and I know a few). My only problem is I do not have a sample and am not sure how a "swing arm stand" attaches. I cannot have anything that lifts from below because of my Scorpion can.

But again, risk averse people should avoid risk. I like risk. I take risks. Sometime I win and sometimes I lose. When I lose, I don't stress over it. Chalk it up to experience, say "Oh well," and move on.

If I buy one of these things, it might be good idea to take it to a friend who is one of the better welders and get it duplicated (the ER version) There are a lot of ER riders in Thailand now. Might be a market. Would anybody following this thread be interested in a copy?

As I said, nothing personal, and you should do what you feel will work out to your best advantage.

As far as being 'risk averse', I (like many others here) ride large displacement bikes in Thailand, so I don't exactly live my life in fear, but I pick my spots- what I am averse to (in a big way) is possible hassles, and I'd rather spend a few bucks to potentially avoid them (having experienced a lot of it in my decade+ in Thailand).

I've got my own long history of having things shipped as well.

Unless I know someone personally, I would prefer to keep my transaction separate- if that's 'risk averse', so be it.

For anyone interested in the difference between the UK model and the "some assembly required" international model of the Abba stand, the assembly version has a bolted corner construction instead of a fully welded corner on the UK version. Pics attached to explain this.

post-171676-0-10655700-1365553782_thumb.post-171676-0-54078300-1365553784_thumb.post-171676-0-75405400-1365553788_thumb.post-171676-0-41492700-1365553791_thumb.

• Like 1

For anyone interested in the difference between the UK model and the "some assembly required" international model of the Abba stand,the assembly version has a bolted corner construction instead of a fully welded

Great idea for shipping.

I've sent an enquiry to Bursig (a friend in the States recommended them) regarding one of their stands as well- my bike isn't on their website, so I'm not sure how that will work out as they might not have an adaptor for it.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I've sent an enquiry to Bursig (a friend in the States recommended them) regarding one of their stands as well- my bike isn't on their website, so I'm not sure how that will work out as they might not have an adaptor for it.

Their website may not up-to-date. If you look at the email thread I attached above, you'll see the guy from Abba quoted the "two stand deal" for shipping for:

abba Superbike stand £99.95 (including fitting kit

for ER6 2010)

abba Superbike stand £99.95 (including fitting kit

for ZZR1400)

The question is, are the relevant specs for the 2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R & the ZZR1400 the same?
Edited by Ticketmaster

Going on your concern of weight criteria. Rough math, the ZX14's have a curb weight of around 100 lbs more than most of the larger bikes on Bursig's website.There is certainly plenty of room on the frame/engine/swingarm mounts for the Bursig stand to be fitted.I have a Bursig stand imported from Germany and am very satisfied with it. I hope you can get one as they are very convenient in a workshop environment and I have used it at the track as well.

BursigStand_zps7bb45ea1.jpg

• Like 1