Thai Red Cross Needs More Blood For Songkran

webfact

Thai Red Cross needs more blood for Songkran
By English News

13654863727934.jpg

BANGKOK, April 9 - The Thai Red Cross Society has launched a special campaign to boost blood supplies for the traditional Thai new year, Songkran, from today through next Tuesday (April 9-16) at its Bangkok headquarters located on Henry Dunant Road.

Blood supplies are in urgent demand during the five-day holiday as large numbers of Bangkokians leave for reunions with family upcountry. Many travellers will be returning home, and numbers of road accidents will require emergency supplies of blood.

Dr Sroisa-ang Pikulsod, director of the Thai Red Cross Society, said 1,500-2,000 units of blood supply will be needed on a daily basis, and 3,000-4,500 units are required to ensure that there are sufficient emergency supplies available.

Apart from festive times, on a daily basis as many as 23 per cent of patients require blood supply from the Thai Red Cross for chronic illnesses such as thalassemia and hemophilia. On the other hand, the remaining 77 per cent of the blood supply is made available to cancer patients, mothers giving birth, as well as miscellaneous emergency operations.

For regional offices, up to seven blood collection centres are available, and are open from April 9-11 (closed on Songkan day). Regional offices in Chonburi, Nakon Sawan, Songkhla, Ubon Ratchathani, Chiang Mai and Phuket are more than welcome to any donations. For more information, please call 0 2256 4300, 0 2263 9600-99 extension 1101. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-09

There you go fellas before you hit the turps and thin your blood, donate a little , i would, but i was in UK at the time of a mad cow disease out break ,eating "T" bone steaks at the west end , anyroad ,I am not allowed to give blood.coffee1.gif

This is kinda like saying give bullets to shooters. We know they will irresponsibly go out and shoot and cause death, and drunks and party goers will be involved in accidents requiring blood and also causing death. Is this some sort of endorsement to go ahead and knock yourselves out? I know - weird analogy but I would give blood anytime but not Songkran until there is a change in attitude towards what the blood supplies are for (irresponsible people) and ambulances with sirens running being ignored by ignorant road users. I remember being in some remote area outside Nakhon Si Thammarat in 2003 and being forced to stop by drunk louts who wanted me to roll down my window, to which I politely smiled and said no. That got my car door kicked in. Songkran is just an excuse for many irresponsible thugs with devil may care attitude - not for me. I'll be staying indoors with DVD's and some cold tall necks. Water the blood down - you'll be fine.

There you go fellas before you hit the turps and thin your blood, donate a little , i would, but i was in UK at the time of a mad cow disease out break ,eating "T" bone steaks at the west end , anyroad ,I am not allowed to give blood.coffee1.gif

Why you gay?

Not to be a gadfly, but I always have an odd thought about these blood drives. People donate their blood for free, and the hospitals charge patients a fortune for the blood. What happens in the middle ???? If the hospital was giving the blood away for free, then no problem. But that is clearly not the case. Shouldn't people be paid for donating blood ?? If they were paid for their blood ,there would never be a shortage.... :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Why you gay?

Because he was in the UK during a mad cow disease outbreak.

Edited by taotoo

This is kinda like saying give bullets to shooters. We know they will irresponsibly go out and shoot and cause death, and drunks and party goers will be involved in accidents requiring blood and also causing death. Is this some sort of endorsement to go ahead and knock yourselves out? I know - weird analogy but I would give blood anytime but not Songkran until there is a change in attitude towards what the blood supplies are for (irresponsible people) and ambulances with sirens running being ignored by ignorant road users. I remember being in some remote area outside Nakhon Si Thammarat in 2003 and being forced to stop by drunk louts who wanted me to roll down my window, to which I politely smiled and said no. That got my car door kicked in. Songkran is just an excuse for many irresponsible thugs with devil may care attitude - not for me. I'll be staying indoors with DVD's and some cold tall necks. Water the blood down - you'll be fine.

I wad just thinking that to myself, and then I considered the innocents who get caught in the middle. I guess I would think about them and hope my blood was going to them more than the idiots and irresponsible individuals who created the need for the blood. 'Not much one can do to allay the mayhem other than staying home.

Not to be a gadfly, but I always have an odd thought about these blood drives. People donate their blood for free, and the hospitals charge patients a fortune for the blood. What happens in the middle ???? If the hospital was giving the blood away for free, then no problem. But that is clearly not the case. Shouldn't people be paid for donating blood ?? If they were paid for their blood ,there would never be a shortage.... :-)

Good thought. Open a blood co-op and hire experts to handle and store the blood, and then all who donate their blood into the co-op will have their blood stored to standards of excellence, and when it is purchased by the hospitals (at a much lower cost than what they or the Red Cross create), the one who donated that type gets a check in the mail if his or her blood us sold out of storage, at a percentage of, say, 40% or 50% of the cost. Why not? They sell body parts, don't they?

When I read the heading I thought the Red Cross was going to be throwing buckets of blood and passing motorcyclists from the back of the ambulances smile.png

...interesting thought! thumbsup.gif