Outbound Bangkok Trains, Bus Terminals Crowded By Songkran Exodus

webfact

Outbound Bangkok trains, bus terminals crowded by Songkran exodus

hl.jpg

BANGKOK, April 11 -- Train stations and bus terminals in Bangkok are crowded with passengers beginning to flow out of the capital to celebrate the Thai traditional new year, or Songkran long holidays, and homecoming trips.

Revellers started arriving at Hua Lamphong Railway Station early morning to catch trains to their hometowns. The northeastern route was on highest demand followed by the northern route.

Additional holiday April 12

The Cabinet approved an additional holiday April 12 as a special case during Songkran to enable people to return home during the festival, making it a 5-day holiday (April 12-16).

The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has implemented measures to facilitate and ensure the safety of passengers during April 11-18.

Eight extra trains will be provided on top of 250 daily train services April 11-12 and 18 extra trains from April 15-18 which could carry an additional 13,000 passengers daily on average.

Meanwhile, Mo Chit Bus Terminal was gradually crowded since early morning, particularly the northeastern route.

More than 210,000 passengers are expected to use the interprovincial bus services today.

The Transport Company increased the numbers of services by 2,000 trips and expected to cope with the high demand of passengers.

No stranded passengers were expected by midnight.

At Suvarnabhumi Airport, it is expected that more than 164,000 passengers will use the airport on Thursday, a highest number during the festival.

Various airlines have provided more than 400 chartered flights to respond the demand of passengers. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-11

Thank heavens mother has said we do not have to go to Issan this year due to the heat smile.png

I would hate to have to journey in this and I do feel for all those queueing at the terminals and the extra length of travel time needed to get home.

But ..... Happy Holidays to all and a safe journey.

Heat.... it is cool and rainy. If you set off now......... :D

• Like 1

the number of holidays that governments approve - who picks up the cost, and how many businesses actually follow the new rules?

My company generally says if BOT and SET are open then we're open... makes more sense to me than government sanctioned holidays...

suppose that's why in the UK they're called "Bank Holidays"

Thank heavens mother has said we do not have to go to Issan this year due to the heat smile.png

I would hate to have to journey in this and I do feel for all those queueing at the terminals and the extra length of travel time needed to get home.

A family member bought a ticket two days ago to return to Isaan this morning on a VIP bus from the Mor Chit bus terminal. If you booked a ticket a few days ago then their is no problem but many Northeastern villagers aren't booking a ticket in advance and they jam up the terminal.

A family member bought a ticket two days ago to return to Isaan this morning on a VIP bus from the Mor Chit bus terminal. If you booked a ticket a few days ago then their is no problem but many Northeastern villagers aren't booking a ticket in advance and they jam up the terminal.

Several things, really.

I would be driving.

Lately the heat has been really bad at mother's place + no aircon there.

The lodging place has no football.

Newcastle v Sunderland derby game on Sunday !!!

And the g/f recently spent 10 days at mothers.

All good reasons to stay put biggrin.png

Food and drink already bought. Front gate locked. Ready for Songkran

Me too !! I'm having a drink right now-so as to avoid the Songkran rush of course
Already warned business associates "If I don't answer the phone - it's in a plastic bag"

All set now.....

• Like 1

Folk heading to Chiang Mai & the north, remember to wear a "smog" mask. also remember to wrap it in plastic to stop the paper filter getting wet ;)

Disclaimer: don't blame me if this leads to suffocation :lol:[/quot

Even when there is smog in CM the air is still better than BKK at any time of the year.

• Like 1

Folk heading to Chiang Mai & the north, remember to wear a "smog" mask. also remember to wrap it in plastic to stop the paper filter getting wet wink.png

Disclaimer: don't blame me if this leads to suffocation laugh.png[/quot

Even when there is smog in CM the air is still better than BKK at any time of the year.

I seriously doubt that.

www.aqmthai.com

In serious need of rain. Visibility in mornings less than 500m

Edited by MESmith

Several things, really.

I would be driving.

Lately the heat has been really bad at mother's place + no aircon there.

The lodging place has no football.

Newcastle v Sunderland derby game on Sunday !!!

And the g/f recently spent 10 days at mothers.

All good reasons to stay put biggrin.png

Why go somewhere without a telly? Absolutely crazy notion. Enjoy the match

"he Cabinet approved an additional holiday April 12 as a special case
during Songkran to enable people to return home during the festival,
making it a 5-day holiday (April 12-16)."

Any one know if this will effect the banks?

Will bank head offices be closed tomorrow?

Is it hard to get hotel rooms in BKK during Sonkran? Or is the place empty? I've just decided at the last minute to jump on the bike and head there tomorrow. Been here 6 years and never spent SK in BKK. Everywhere else though, including Cambodia.

"he Cabinet approved an additional holiday April 12 as a special case

during Songkran to enable people to return home during the festival,

making it a 5-day holiday (April 12-16)."

Any one know if this will effect the banks?

Will bank head offices be closed tomorrow?

No, it's a requirement of Thai banking law that they cannot be closed for more than 4 days. So banks are open on the 12th then closed for 13-16.

Cheers