Being Gay In China

isanbirder

There are many sex selection based abortions in China not to mention actual infanticide. In other words, females are over-selected for the abortions and infanticides. They do of course value the male children more as a matter of culture and when limited to one, that exacerbates the situation. Of course this also happens widely in India a country without the state imposed restrictions so you really can't blame this only on those restrictions.

Edited by Jingthing

That should help with population control. They aren't likely to having a lot of children.

Since the one-child policy, there are already almost 20% more men than women.

Sounds like heaven clap2.gif

I would have thought so, too. But alas, the percentage of gay men doesn't increase... :(

And, believing the article in the OP, 80% of those gay men will still get married to women.

That should help with population control. They aren't likely to having a lot of children.

I would have thought so, too. But alas, the percentage of gay men doesn't increase... sad.png

And, believing the article in the OP, 80% of those gay men will still get married to women.

You know what they say - the difference between a straight man and a gay man is 8 pints of lager (or desperation) biggrin.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would have thought so, too. But alas, the percentage of gay men doesn't increase... sad.png

But they'll have sex with men, I guess.......laugh.png

But they'll have sex with men, I guess.......laugh.png

The point is:

1. The percentage of gay men does not increase. Even if straight men cannot find wives, they won't turn gay. They will just become frustrated if they can't find a suitable female. (Some straight people here please confirm.)

2. The percentage of gay men that marry women due to cultural requirements are said to be 80%. Most of them (statistically) may always have sex with men on the side. In fact, they are called MSM (Men having Sex with Men), rather than gay, in Asia.

So unfortunately, there is no boon for the gay world due to the one-child policy which produced an oversupply of men. Sad but true. sad.png

The real question in China is not so much about how many gay men there are as about what those spare men will do to work off their frustration. Rape? Violence? Gay sex in desperation? Or just be soured against any kind of sex?

The point is:

1. The percentage of gay men does not increase. ...sad.png

Actually, as a percentage of the population, it does. More men = more gay men.

Good point. Let's hope this will work in favour of acceptance of homosexuality in China, which I somehow doubt.

The real question in China is not so much about how many gay men there are as about what those spare men will do to work off their frustration. Rape? Violence? Gay sex in desperation? Or just be soured against any kind of sex?

I don't think men in general would just be soured against any kind of sex. Of course, I would hope for gay sex in desperation but don't see that in the current Chinese culture.

That leaves rape and violence sad.png - or prostitution in order to prevent those. I don't see prostitution to become legal in China but know there is a big market in Shenzhen. I don't know about other parts of the country.

What happens in Mormon fundamentalist communities? ... or in countries that allow polygamy for men?

There's a shortage of women there, but they're the most homophobic around, as well as the least accepting of prostitution. Odd ....

Edited by LeCharivari

I don't think men in general would just be soured against any kind of sex. Of course, I would hope for gay sex in desperation but don't see that in the current Chinese culture.

That leaves rape and violence sad.png - or prostitution in order to prevent those. I don't see prostitution to become legal in China but know there is a big market in Shenzhen. I don't know about other parts of the country.

I've heard that sexbots are becoming more and more popular.

NO-the 3d option is by sure faaaaar more Chinese: kidnap women, or buy them. But in general Chinese are partly well tuned with the current needs of society-and also stubbornly antique in superstition and stray beliefs-to not diappoint mum+dad. Which may lead to 2 ways: open the gates to accepted homosexuality- or keep on living head in the sand like above has been painted.

BTW- there has been a flurry of such same-same articles in Continental press-as a little counterweight to the seeming fact that only english speaking make problems about this. Gays in China tipically do not marry str8 ladies, but lesbians. They even sometimes make kids........

Astonishingly it seems that in also mainly chinese (and corruption near free) Singapore, gay life is more and more accepted-whereas they do have a serious child shortage there and all kind of programs and promotions to let couples make more babies. But then perhaps they have already given up trying to turn gays into str8 there.

• 3 weeks later...

Rape is not usually a sexual act, per se. Rape is an act of violence. I don't know very many people who are turned on by having to forcefully hold down another person.

Rape is not usually a sexual act, per se. Rape is an act of violence. I don't know very many people who are turned on by having to forcefully hold down another person.

How do you know you "don't know" them? I never thought I knew any pedophiles, but I now know that I simply didn't know those concerned well enough.

The idea that "rape is not usually a sexual act, per se. Rape is an act of violence" really is a perfect example of a persuasive definition, designed to divert attention away from the "sex" and to concentrate on the "violence" instead even if, as in many cases, there has been no "violence" involved but plenty of "sex" - albeit non-consensual.

The idea that rape or any sort of sexual violence is not "usually" sex because it is non-consensual has only been fashionable for the last two decades or so, and it is one which is now being increasingly seriously questioned as rape has recently become widely used as a weapon of ethnic cleansing and violence in the Baltic and Africa. Under those circumstances rape is purely an act of violence, with little or no sexual motivation involved, but in the vast majority of "civilian" cases (90%) rapes are committed by those who know their victims, not as part of some sort of random violent sexual mugging.

If rape was purely about violence, dominating someone and about "people who are turned on by having to forcefully hold down another person" then the best advice for anyone being raped to stop it would be to pretend to enjoy it (and, presumably, turn the rapist off). I've never heard of that advice.

Just because sex isn't consensual, or even enjoyable by both partners, doesn't stop it being sex.

I am not going to get into a debate with you, but I have several international licenses which attest to some knowledge and experience with people like that. I have spent many years working with sexually abused children and with prison inmates who were incarcerated for rape, incest and child abuse. It also included quite a number of pedophiles, both regressed and fixated.

But this topic is about China.