The "riding A Motorcycle In Thailand Is A Recipe For Dying" Thread

With everything that's been in the news lately, seemed a good thing to collect some of these stories all in one place...just as a reminder of the fatal and near-fatal risks involved -- for the riders, their passengers, and the loved ones they leave behind.

Crazyswede Died In A Motorcycle Accident

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/615216-crazyswede-died-in-a-motorcycle-accident/

With sadness I'd like to inform about the death of the thaivisa member Crazyswede. He died in an accident near his village by Surin on his way back from the Buriram Big Bike Show. Let our thoughts go out to his pregnant wife, his family and friends.

Norwegian Killed In Traffic Accident In Thailand

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632529-norwegian-killed-in-traffic-accident-in-thailand/?hl=%20motorcycle

The Norwegian was killed instantly, but his girlfriend, who was on the back of the bike is in a coma and is being treated in a hospital.

Very Sad News

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/632288-very-sad-news/?hl=motorcycle#entry6291876

Guys, just heard the news about a friend/colleague of mine. Was driving home from work last weekend, swerved to avoid a cat/dog & ploughed into a tree at speed. Stuart is now paralysed from the neck down. Incredibly sad & a top bloke.

Phuket: Family Looks For Help To Get Injured American Back Home

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633140-phuket-family-looks-for-help-to-get-injured-american-back-home/

PHUKET: -- George Byrdwell Harris Jr has been lying in a hospital in Phuket for the past eight months after a horrific motorbike accident in August last year.

Phuket Russian teen students still in ICU after motorcyclist crash

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/630239-phuket-russian-teen-students-still-in-i-c-u-after-motorcyclist-crash/

PHUKET: -- Two Russian students from Phuket’s British International School are tonight still in the intensive care unit (ICU) at Phuket International Hospital after being involved in a horrific motorbike accident on the bypass road yesterday.

Entire Family Killed In Midnight Motorcycle Crash: Pattaya

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/606483-entire-family-killed-in-midnight-motorcycle-crash-pattaya/

PATTAYA: -- Banglamung Police were called to a fatal accident which killed a complete family, riding a motorcycle which crashed into a power pole just after midnight on Thursday.

How much longer does this list need to get....

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Morbid thread this, but nonetheless important because it's a reminder to us all that riding a bike here is a real gamble. As the previous poster said, ya gotta assume the worst from drivers. Thats why i prefer riding at the track

D

M

Actually, in Thailand, I believe motorcycles are the vehicle most involved in traffic accidents here... far more than cars.

Admittedly, that's probably at least in part because the share of vehicle traffic here involving motorcycles vs. cars is greater than in more developed countries.

But still, when you suddenly swerve to avoid an animal, or lose control on a curb or get hit by another vehicle, in what kind of vehicle are you likely to emerge in better share -- riding on a motorcycle, or riding in a car?

You might be surprised to know that the great majority of recreational riders actually do understand the risks and consider the reward sufficient... It is not necessary for people who don't appreciate the rewards, or consider the risks too high, to continually bemoan the risks to those that understand them, experience them, and dismiss them as insufficient.

I have an order of magnitude more biker buddies than I have close friends, and yet have lost more friends to cancer, AIDS, and sleep apnea than buddies to bike accidents in Thailand. The roads here are significantly more dangerous than they should be, but that is no reason for us to stop enjoying what makes many of us tick. Not until poor eyesight, judgement, reactions and bad route selection/timing make the risks not worth the reward.

• Like 2

Or you end up, like the American in the news story above, in a hospital brain damaged and unable to care for yourself for the rest of your life...and become a burden to your family/relatives -- all for enjoying what makes you tick...

post-58284-0-73109900-1366104470_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

This thread is a waste of bandwidth and you lack taste. I hope the mods delete it. I'm out of here.

+1 I'm thinking of changing my forum style and becoming less....polite?

Again it is cultural imperialism.

Or you end up, like the American in the news story above, in a hospital brain damaged and unable to care for yourself for the rest of your life...and become a burden to your family/relatives -- all for enjoying what makes you tick...

post-58284-0-73109900-1366104470_thumb.j

you know its extremely disrespectfull to post this picture and write what you have i dont think his family would see him as a burden to them , yes i know this picture was on another part of the forum but that doesnt make it alright for you to copy it and spread it further around the internet,maybe you should have contacted them first and asked there permission to use there picture in some sort of campaign you are trying to start.

I would report this thread for being distastefull but cant seem to find the report button on the android app

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

It would be a sad life if my main motivation for buying a car is fear of having a bad accident. Sometimes i even ride bicycle on the streets of Bangkok. Imo this is more dangerous than riding motorbike.

But its OK to open such thread. Its like the "Riding without helmet" threads. A good reminder for some people. Protect yourself with good gear and think about your actions first. Riding safe is more important than riding fast.

As I said in post #2: It doesn't pay to live your life in fear. Do what you love.

If we succumb to fear of riding, the next step is... Open a thread on pedestrian injuries (don't walk outside), bath tub injuries (don't bathe), ladder injuries (don't change lightbulbs). Life starts getting pretty restricted by the time you've made yourself 100% safe.

• Like 1

attachicon.gif1366019340_1.jpg

you know its extremely disrespectfull to post this picture and write what you have i dont think his family would see him as a burden to them , yes i know this picture was on another part of the forum but that doesnt make it alright for you to copy it and spread it further around the internet,maybe you should have contacted them first and asked there permission to use there picture in some sort of campaign you are trying to start.

I would report this thread for being distastefull but cant seem to find the report button on the android app

Don't let the facts get in your way...

The photo was posted in another thread on the accident here on ThaiVisa...and only appeared in ThaiVisa after being published in the local newspaper.

If you actually read the article, you'll see the man's brother had to quit his job to take care of his now-invalid brother, and the family doesn't even have enough funds to pay for his return to the U.S. They're seeking donations for that effort.

^

As your so quick to spread his picture over the internet and tell his story i hope you have taken the time to make a donation then,just because the family allowed a picture to be taken for a news story which is looking for donations to help the guy does not mean they want the picture copied and posted all over the internet,

Are you related to the victim and are now just venting your frustration?

No, I'm not related to the victim, and I don't have any frustration -- other than having seen and read far too many of these motorcycle death/injury news reports in Thailand.

Everyone's going to die sometime for sure, but to increase the risk so substantially and cavalierly here in Thailand by motorcycle riding for sport really makes me wonder.

• Like 1

No, I'm not related to the victim, and I don't have any frustration -- other than having seen and read far too many of these motorcycle death/injury news reports in Thailand.

Everyone's going to die sometime for sure, but to increase the risk so substantially and cavalierly here in Thailand by motorcycle riding for sport really makes me wonder.

Nothing to wonder about. For many people riding motorbike is lot of fun. So they do it.

Why are people doing crazy dangerous things that they could avoid? There aren't many "dangers" left nowadays. No need to go out hunting and fighting. But some people need their adrenaline thrill. If there is no risk in daily life anymore some people are "seeking danger" elsewhere. And there are also interesting effects like risk compensation. But nothing to wonder about. All very "human" smile.png

• Like 1

where do you get off judging people for living their life as they see fit. Why in hell did you even take the time to foist your criteria for living life on the people in this part of the forum that enjoy riding, for whatever their reasons. You are one sad MoFo.

People can use the same arguement for anything. I am sure, even here, there are those that won't go sky diving, hang gliding, para sailing, mountain climbing, scuba diving or zip lining because it's deemed unsafe. On a motorcycle I feel safe. Get me on the roller coaster at Dreamworld and after the ride is over they have to prise my white knuckled hands off the safety bar to get me out!

• Like 1