Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

20 minutes ago, topt said:

Regarding renewal grace period it seems the document is in error (hopefully) as not heard that from anybody else and obviously did not apply to you.

From your document -

if you are not on a long stay visa/extension normally they will only renew back to a 2 year - what are you staying here with?

I did read that requirement elsewhere about the expiry but not remember where. Anyway glad it is to to contrary.

Im here on marriage NON O

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 9:06 PM, sikishrory said:

Copy your docs at one of many shops over the road or she may do it at desk 11 for a fee.

she made copies of all my documents for free, the only copy i had taken was 1 copy of my passport, the rest she did, 2 of everything for both licenses, for free

• 1 month later...

My 2 year car and bike both expire in March. They have any issues with renewing early?

I will be away working in March so i plan to go get my renewals before i leave. It will, be approx 1 month before they expire

22 minutes ago, Matty81 said:

My 2 year car and bike both expire in March. They have any issues with renewing early?

I will be away working in March so i plan to go get my renewals before i leave. It will, be approx 1 month before they expire

Just renewed my drivers licence, car, 16 December 2019, licence was to expire 4 April 2020.

No problem at my DLT in Ratchaburi. All done in 30 minutes and cost ฿505.

2 hours ago, Matty81 said:

If going 2 to 2, In Pattaya you can't apply until it expires. TiT

Edited by scubascuba3

8 hours ago, Matty81 said:

I did both of mine prior to Christmas. 

Same reason. 

Renewal is now 5 years 8 months. 

Up to the birthday. 

Certainly no issues with early renewal at Pattaya. 

(For me, anyway)

16 hours ago, Matty81 said:

Thanks for all the replies

So just need to bring the following to renew?

Passport

Existing licences

Medical cert

Proof of residency from immigration

Is that it?

My list...

Passport.

Car and Motorbike Licences.

Copy of licences front and back.

Residence Cert from Immigration. 

Copy of residence Cert. (one each for car and motorbike)

Passport face page 2-off

TM 6 Card 2-off

Sign the copies.

The TM 6 copies were not needed 

Instead they wanted 2 copies of my current retirement extension stamp.. signed you bet!

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

i have a lot of angst for renewing my dl soon,

how long do i have to be there at dlt outside pattaya ?

is there any thing at all i can do to speed it up to less then 30 minutes ?

Fear not!

file_018997100cb1ed2a7f213019bcb96a21.pn

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, brokenbone said:

Use an agent or VIP concierge service. 

But you still have to get the photo shots done at DLT.

Alternatively you sit there for the best part of a day.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any recent experience of using a service to help obtain a first Thai driving licence (for a car) in the Pattaya area please?  I have all the required documents, including valid overseas and international licences, but I don't have the time at the moment to navigate the process myself. 

1 minute ago, Lwood said:

Does anyone have any recent experience of using a service to help obtain a first Thai driving licence (for a car) in the Pattaya area please?  I have all the required documents, including valid overseas and international licences, but I don't have the time at the moment to navigate the process myself. 

A few friends have used Mots Services and were happy with the service and now that the Trans Depts are open again for new licence and renewals I'll be using this service to get my bike licence.

https://www.mots-services.com/

32 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

A few friends have used Mots Services and were happy with the service and now that the Trans Depts are open again for new licence and renewals I'll be using this service to get my bike licence.

https://www.mots-services.com/

For those that don't need hand holding, it's a simple process, takes a few hours but most people are retired so have the time

41 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

For those that don't need hand holding, it's a simple process, takes a few hours but most people are retired so have the time

Yeah Iam not retired so don't really have 2 days spare to get a licence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 6/18/2013 at 5:59 PM, johng said:

You submit the paper work to lecture room number 3

post-2109-0-34153100-1371552349_thumb.jppost-2109-0-89586700-1371552362_thumb.jp

They are only doing 80 driving tests per day

if the 80 have allready been handed out they will give you a que number for another/next day.

post-2109-0-60684500-1371552351_thumb.jp

first day ( if your one of the lucky 80 ) is que up submit documents, listen to long lecture in lecture room 3 then do the practicle driving test.

post-2109-0-72496400-1371552356_thumb.jp

if you pass then come back next/another day to do the written test..

So it can easilly take 3 days even if you don't fail any of the tests.

A few Thais where saying that it is much easier to go to Siricha, Sattahip or Rayong where you can still do the whole kaboodle in one day.

IT USED TO BE 120 licences issued in one day!!!

On 4/29/2020 at 10:02 AM, brokenbone said:

you must be joking....WHERE ARE YOU?? nothing is simples here.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 2:46 AM, NanLaew said:

Thread bump.

The new, 2-part medical certificate is now available on the DLT's website in a downloadable pdf. Scroll down for it.

https://www.dlt.go.th/th/public-news/view.php?_did=2816

Am renewing my 5 year licences in next few days and just spotted your medical cert update here in the 2 year thread. Not sure if needed or not for the 5 year renewal but taking no chances based on the recent news item.

Anyway, just back from getting a medical cert from a local, East Pattaya, clinic and, yes, this formed the basis of the certificate issued to me. So they are well up to date. Cost was a reasonable Bt120. Not too bad after being gouged for the usual Bt300 at Jomtien IO for the Residence Certificate.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I need to renew my 2-year licence in the next month or so. I've been told that you can't just turn up there any more, they still have the Covid queuing system. I heard that you have to go there with all your documents ready and find a place outside the office that will check your paperwork and then issue you with an appointment ticket. Then you come back and do the usual tests and watch the usual video, then get the new licence. I was told this a month or two ago, has anyone been there recently to confirm it's still the case? Anything else I need to know?

22 hours ago, Guderian said:

I need to renew my 2-year licence in the next monthndpn or so. I've been told that you can't just turn up there any more, they still have the Covid queuing system. I heard that you have to go there with all your documents ready and find a place outside the office that will check your paperwork and then issue you with an appointment ticket. Then you come back and do the usual tests and watch the usual video, then get the new licence. I was told this a month or two ago, has anyone been there recently to confirm it's still the case? Anything else I need to know?

Yes, you need to get an appointment. 

I only showed my expired license and my passport and was given a list of paperwork I needed to present when I came for renewal. 

You need to watch the video online now and show proof you seen it. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, PoorSucker said:

Yes, you need to get an appointment. 

I only showed my expired license and my passport and was given a list of paperwork I needed to present when I came for renewal. 

You need to watch the video online now and show proof you seen it. 

Thanks for the reply, I've got two questions:

1) Will they fill in the application form for you as I don;t think there's an English language version is there?

2) The medical certificate and residence certificate aren't valid forever. Do you need to have them to get an appointment, or can you get them just before going to for the renewal?

On 7/23/2022 at 11:52 AM, Guderian said:

Thanks for the reply, I've got two questions:

1) Will they fill in the application form for you as I don;t think there's an English language version is there?

2) The medical certificate and residence certificate aren't valid forever. Do you need to have them to get an appointment, or can you get them just before going to for the renewal?

1. English version, you fill out the form when you are renewing, not when you make the appointment. 

2. No need for either when you make the appointment. 

Only expired license and passport needed. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2022 at 1:01 AM, PoorSucker said:

1. English version, you fill out the form when you are renewing, not when you make the appointment. 

2. No need for either when you make the appointment. 

Only expired license and passport needed. 

Many thanks.

• 2 months later...

Anyone here know the current requirements for getting a Thai drivers licence in Pattaya? I hold both a car & bike licence from my home country plus an international drivers permit. I'm here on a visa exempt plus I have a condo lease.

I would like to get both a car & bike licence here in Pattaya. This would be my first time getting a Thai licence.

I believe I need to get a Certificate of Residence from Immigration. I just need to bring my signed lease, correct?

Edited by bbi1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I maybe mistaken but isn't there a grace period of about 1 year after a regular 5 year DL expires that your still able to validate the expired license.

The reason I ask is my auto license expires in May of this year and  my motorbike in May of next year 2024. I never use the auto license but would like to have it in case of an emergency. I'm trying to determine if I can manipulate it to where I only need to visit the DLT only one time in order to validate both licenses for another 5 years.

Edited by jwdub12

On 4/29/2020 at 10:02 AM, brokenbone said:

Go to Sriracha.

4 hours ago, jwdub12 said:

I maybe mistaken but isn't there a grace period of about 1 year after a regular 5 year DL expires that your still able to validate the expired license.

The reason I ask is my auto license expires in May of this year and  my motorbike in May of next year 2024. I never use the auto license but would like to have it in case of an emergency. I'm trying to determine if I can manipulate it to where I only need to visit the DLT only one time in order to validate both licenses for another 5 years.

You are correct, there is a grace period of 1 year without repercussions.

If you go to renew your licenses during the period of 3 months before expiration in 2024, up to but not after expiration, you will get an expiration date of May 2029 for both your new licenses.

(Supposedly you can apply 6 months before expiration, but afaik Pattaya DLT won’t accept renewals earlier than 3 months before expiration.)

• Thanks 1