Requirements For Obtaining And Renewing A 2 Year Driving Licence

Rimmer

21 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

I just renewed motorbike and car license at Pattaya DLT from my 2-year temporary Thai licenses.  Arrived at 9:15 and had to take eye exam and reaction test. Finished with both new licenses in hand before 11:00.  I had forgotten that my auto license expired 2 months earlier than my motorbike license and already more than a month expired. They never said a word and gave me both car and motorbike 5-year licenses.

Residency certificate

health certificate

passport photocopies (done outside at DLT)

expiring 2 year licenses

Checking mine.

They were done about 9 weeks before expired. 

Because I was heading overseas. 

They moved the date to my birthday. 

So the 5 years starts next month. 

Crazy place. 

• 4 weeks later...

I already have a car drivers license from my home country. If I wish to get a Thai drivers license here in Pattaya, what's needed to be done to get one? Also where do you go to get it and how much is it? I'm on a METV (tourist visa) & do want to get a Thai license too.

I've read here on another website: 

You can use an International Driving Permit as a tourist, but if you’ve been in the country for 60 days or more then you are supposed to get a Thai driving license. Having a valid driving license from your home country will make the process of getting a Thai driving license go faster. With a valid license you won’t be required to take the theory or practical (driving) exams.

Edited by bbi1

44 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

I already have a car drivers license from my home country. If I wish to get a Thai drivers license here in Pattaya, what's needed to be done to get one? Also where do you go to get it and how much is it? I'm on a METV (tourist visa) & do want to get a Thai license too.

I've read here on another website: 

You can use an International Driving Permit as a tourist, but if you’ve been in the country for 60 days or more then you are supposed to get a Thai driving license. Having a valid driving license from your home country will make the process of getting a Thai driving license go faster. With a valid license you won’t be required to take the theory or practical (driving) exams.

Suggest looking at #332 

A medical certificate is required for farang and can be anything from 200 to 350 baht.

Plus the documents that are indicated. 

Previously someone posted a link to all the paperwork that you can download and fill in.

Thai partner or assistance helps. 

The DLT is located out of pattaya and if you head for highway 36 you can either come off the motorway end or the other end.

It's set back off the road. 

Helps if someone been there assists you. 

All paperwork is available at the DLT.

They are pretty good. 

If you arrive early in the morning you may be done for lunch. 

They have a regimented lunch time. 

No exceptions. 

My bike and car were just over 500 baht.

Ist issues are 2 years. 

Heaps of helpful posts on here.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JamieLambo said:

how does one go about getting a medical certificate?

thanks

Look for a medical clinic, I'm on Soi Buakao and there are many. They have the healthcare crosses on their signs. You can usually do a walk in appointment. They'll ask you a few questions, maybe take your vitals and give you the signed paper. They know the drill with these things

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Look for a medical clinic, I'm on Soi Buakao and there are many. They have the healthcare crosses on their signs. You can usually do a walk in appointment. They'll ask you a few questions, maybe take your vitals and give you the signed paper. They know the drill with these things

simple enough then, thanks mate

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JamieLambo said:

simple enough then, thanks mate

Normally check the bp.

And sign a certificate. 

300 to 500 baht.

Hospital is more comprehensive. 

X rays, urine and drug tests.

Depending on your location. 

And if its a first time license. 

I just used  local on klang for the renewal recently. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Normally check the bp.

And sign a certificate. 

300 to 500 baht.

cheers,

is there any decent fixers/companies that people usually recommend for someone getting their first license?

3 hours ago, JamieLambo said:

cheers,

is there any decent fixers/companies that people usually recommend for someone getting their first license?

Several. 

You can ask around or Google. 

But at around 3500 it makes for expensive licenses. 

I'm not advocating any personally. 

But once again,  TIT.

But last time it was say 350 medical certificate. 

500 for both licenses, car and bike. 

About 25 baht for photocopies. 

And a few hours at the DLT.

You are normally required to sit through the video for the first time licence. 

In thai, what else.

Many don't bother..

2500 to an agent or a few hours of time and a visit to the DLT.

Personal choice!!!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Several. 

You can ask around or Google. 

But at around 3500 it makes for expensive licenses. 

I'm not advocating any personally. 

But once again,  TIT.

But last time it was say 350 medical certificate. 

500 for both licenses, car and bike. 

About 25 baht for photocopies. 

And a few hours at the DLT.

You are normally required to sit through the video for the first time licence. 

In thai, what else.

Many don't bother..

2500 to an agent or a few hours of time and a visit to the DLT.

Personal choice!!!

ahh ok, will most likely do it me sen then cheers mate 

• Like 1

Just extended my two-year motorbike license today in Mueang Narathiwat. Since my birthday falls in early August I got almost six years on my new license.

The documents I provided were the following:

- Health certificate from a local clinic. Costs: 50 baht

Plus photocopies of:

- passport+extension based on non-B

- work permit

- rental contract

- landlord's ID card

- landlord's blue book 

In total I went three times in about a week. First, to inquire about the paperwork. Second, to send a yet incomplete set and, finally, to send the missing paperwork and to get the license for 265 baht.

No video watching this time and only doing the standard tests of braking, color naming and peripheral vision. Apparently, the depth vision test got scrapped.

In short, not too difficult and no more worries for the coming years.

Edited by MarcelV
Some small additions
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just got a Residence Certificate at Jomtien Immigration. Actually 2 of them. The girl asked if it was car or motocy, i said both and she replied "600 baht." I just went with it even though I read here a copy and one original probably would have worked.

To get the residence certificate they wanted:

- Copies of all important passport pages (Photo/Info, TM6, Visa expiry). They call this a "set" in case you use the copier guy in the building

- Original passport

- Landlord Id and Ownership of building info. I also provided a monthly bill as we are not on a rental contract

- 300 baht per original Residence Certificate

- I also filled out 2 forms

Now with the medical and residence certificates done I'm preparing for the DLT trip. For that I have with me:

- 2 residence certificates

- 2 medical certificates

- 3 copies of all important passport pages (Photo/Info, TM6, Visa expiry). Visa is ED

- Passport photos, both the slightly bigger white and slightly smaller blue background ones

- Original passport

- Original Thai car/moto licenses. The licenses were the 2 year ones and expired on October 2018

- 1,500 baht

I think that will be all I need to renew both licenses.

Edited by Hal65

• 1 month later...
On 8/13/2019 at 12:07 PM, dallen52 said:

Normally check the bp.

And sign a certificate. 

300 to 500 baht.

mine was 100Bht each for car and motorbike in that area

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Needed to get my EU (German) driving license translated to Thai!

I was doing with an official approved German translator and got stamped at German consulate at the Thai Garden resort.

After that staff at DLT asking why I did use the consulate and not any cheap translation office... 

I thought better get it done this way before sending me away.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, JamieLambo said:

need to do my medical in the morning,

anyone got one they recommend?

ill be traveling from Photisarn area to Jomtien soi 5 tomorrow so open to any really

You can choose any clinic, around 150 baht, a few down Soi Buakhao, Klang, Pattaya Tai

Edited by scubascuba3

just got my first licenses, did it all in a day, 

went to Jomtien soi 5 immigration in morning with correct paperwork for residence cert, was in and out in 15-20mins - 300baht

went for my medical also in Jomtien, took 10 minutes 150baht

went to the Land Transportation Office, 

handed in 1. Residence cert, 2. Medical cert, 3. International Drivers Permit, 4. Passport (she made copies of all the documents for the applications of both car and bike licenses) signed a few papers and got told to come back at 1:30pm to do eye test (12-1 is lunch hour)

1:30pm do eye test and reaction test, takes about 10 minutes,

then go pay for both licenses - 310baht

then just waiting around to get number called, have photo taken, wait another 10 minutes and then the cards printed

2:30pm was on my way home

a pretty stress free morning/afternoon

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's a nice ride going the back way via the railway line, avoids the 36. Google maps is very useful sometimes

No such luck for me. I live over Hwy 36 at the Sukhumvit end, and have to get across it, never know which way will be possible day to day. Constant neck jarring!

Some more recent info if it helps anyone.

Went yesterday.  Arrived bit after 7.30. a queue of about 20 was already milling about in the process of getting their queue numbers. 

I got 28 at 7.39am. If your number 3 (example) it doesn't make much difference. You will still be in the group with everyone at the end receiving your license. However in the following 10 mins most of the queues were given out before the 8am open time.

Anyway queue ticket reads to go and wait upstairs at counter 11... ticket is wrong. So everyone goes up then gets told to go and wait downstairs for numbers to be called then u go up.

Thai and westerners are split up. Quite a lot of westerners there and no issues communicating with staff.

Copy your docs at one of many shops over the road or she may do it at desk 11 for a fee.

She takes everything including passport.

I was renewing a month long expired 5 year. Contrary to other reports they allowed it and I basically got a 6 year. 

Had to do 3 silly tests and watch a video. No written. No medical documents.

Anyway... She tells you come back at 11.30 and gives you another queue ticket with wrong info telling you to wait at training room 2 when it was actually 1. Noone really calls people or your number loudly.  When you see a bunch of westerners heading in room 1 then go.

Once in then you go out to do tests then in again to watch a dvd in English.

Now 1pm. Everyone queues to pay.

Pay then get another number and wait to get picture taken by feisty old lady.

When machine spits out your card 10 mins later she'll call you to get it.

It will look wrong with your last name first but its meant to be.

Now go home.

I downloaded the dlt app and have my licence on my phone too now.

Can use grab to get there And home.

Basic thai food opposite.

Only other thing to note. A lady announced in thai at start that the 5 year licences were limited to a certain point/queue number or something. Something about number 40.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

Some more recent info if it helps anyone.

Went yesterday.  Arrived bit after 7.30. a queue of about 20 was already milling about in the process of getting their queue numbers. 

I got 28 at 7.39am. If your number 3 (example) it doesn't make much difference. You will still be in the group with everyone at the end receiving your license. However in the following 10 mins most of the queues were given out before the 8am open time.

Anyway queue ticket reads to go and wait upstairs at counter 11... ticket is wrong. So everyone goes up then gets told to go and wait downstairs for numbers to be called then u go up.

Thai and westerners are split up. Quite a lot of westerners there and no issues communicating with staff.

Copy your docs at one of many shops over the road or she may do it at desk 11 for a fee.

She takes everything including passport.

I was renewing a month long expired 5 year. Contrary to other reports they allowed it and I basically got a 6 year. 

Had to do 3 silly tests and watch a video. No written. No medical documents.

Anyway... She tells you come back at 11.30 and gives you another queue ticket with wrong info telling you to wait at training room 2 when it was actually 1. Noone really calls people or your number loudly.  When you see a bunch of westerners heading in room 1 then go.

Once in then you go out to do tests then in again to watch a dvd in English.

Now 1pm. Everyone queues to pay.

Pay then get another number and wait to get picture taken by feisty old lady.

When machine spits out your card 10 mins later she'll call you to get it.

It will look wrong with your last name first but its meant to be.

Now go home.

I downloaded the dlt app and have my licence on my phone too now.

Can use grab to get there And home.

Basic thai food opposite.

Only other thing to note. A lady announced in thai at start that the 5 year licences were limited to a certain point/queue number or something. Something about number 40.

Is this Pattaya? what were the tests like? the light tests are odd, many people seem to fail

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is this Pattaya? what were the tests like? the light tests are odd, many people seem to fail

Yeh Pattaya.

Lady told me come back for reaction test but actually it was 3.

They have a colour chart on the wall but instead just get you to tell them the colour they light up on the traffic like.

2nd test is sit down and use accelerator to "accelerate" then react and press stop using dame foot when you see red light. Easy.

3rd then pickup an ancient looking "remote" and line up 2 posts so they are parallel. Red button moves forward and green back. Quite easy but out of our group of about 30, 1 man failed and 2 chinese had issues. Although it was probably more an issue of trying to understand the stupid test for them.

The thai man dressed like some kind of military general can understand about 3 words of English. Red, yellow and green. I was looking for the set of Wings on his uniform to see if he was also some kind of paratrooper or crack pilot but no. He wasn't even looking when me and a few others did the test, instead staring at the floor. 

I should point out the lady from mots services was there almost doing more of the test than he was. 

She was floating around throughout the day and is the only reason I went into training room 1. Nobody else told me.

In summary the tests are pretty lame and have little to do with driving. The colourblind test is logical. 

Sitting amongst the chaos for the 6 hour experience I tried to think of the difference in process in Australia vs Thailand and why it is so long and chaotic.

In Australia renewals are sent in the mail. No retesting.

In Thailand the archaic system of manually copying and filing eveyones paper documents on an old printer and slow computer.

Outsourcing the practical tests to approved testing centres.

They really need to come out of the dark ages.

8 hours ago, sikishrory said:

I am curious what other reports you are referring to as this has always been the case at Pattaya?

Good to have an updated detailed report thanks :thumbsup:

They seem to have ditched the peripheral vision test or the equipment was broken (again.....)?

56 minutes ago, topt said:

I am curious what other reports you are referring to as this has always been the case at Pattaya?

Good to have an updated detailed report thanks :thumbsup:

They seem to have ditched the peripheral vision test or the equipment was broken (again.....)?

Referring to the comments in the attached file regarding 5 year renewal. Mine was 1 month expired which is contrary to that information.

I also saw requirement for a medical certificate on new 5 year licences it in a picture floating around on these forums somewhere and also in that document

1 hour ago, sikishrory said:

Referring to the comments in the attached file regarding 5 year renewal. Mine was 1 month expired which is contrary to that information.

I also saw requirement for a medical certificate on new 5 year licences it in a picture floating around on these forums somewhere and also in that document

158843 125.72 kB · 2 downloads

Regarding renewal grace period it seems the document is in error (hopefully) as not heard that from anybody else and obviously did not apply to you.

From your document -

NOTE: No medical certificate is needed for renewing a 5 year driving license UNLESS you are
in Thailand on other than a Non-Immigrant Visa.

if you are not on a long stay visa/extension normally they will only renew back to a 2 year - what are you staying here with?