Chrissy Amphlett - Died In New York Aged 53

David48

Australian rock legend Chrissy Amphlett, best known as the singer of the Divinyls, has died in New York aged 53.

ChrissyAmphlett.jpg

The charismatic frontwoman was surrounded by family and friends at her home when she died this morning.

Her husband of 14 years, former Divinyls drummer Charley Drayton, says Amphlett died of breast cancer and multiple sclerosis.

From here

Some more info here

Her music was part of my youth ...

R.I.P Chrissy ... wub.png

EDIT:- didn't see it in the World News ... so posted it here.

Edited by David48

A true Rock chick.

I saw her in my youth in a double gig with the Painters and Dockers in Melbourne. She was about 7 or 8 months pregnant and just belting out the songs.

During one song she came to the front of the stage, arched her back and pushed her pelvis forward to belt out a big note.

One of the punters in the front row of the mosh screamed out "it's a boy" and the entire venue (including Chris and the band) collapsed in a fit of laughter....

That night was the best concert I have ever attended...and I have been to some biggies over the years including Dire Straights...The Stones...The Police...The Violent Femmes....etc...

I never understood why the Divinyls didn't get as big as AC DC....their concerts were always intense....

The Good Die Young

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2TsDF6TD3o

• Like 1

I just shed tears!

Music of the Heart will play a tribute to her tonight at Checkinn99

Boys in Town - Fine line between pleasure and pain..

Chris

Thanks Chris ... I'm not in Bangkok at the moment ... but given that comment I am sure to drop by for a beer, nect time I'm there in a few months.

Cheers

David48

I have always been deeply touched by Chrissy - some thing quite stirring. when Music of the Heart learned this song - it took some time to touch Chrissy's unique internal fire and pent up emotion. What worked with Donna singing in the clip above was to simulate violence and face to face aggression - when she finally reacted she produced this... It is our most often requested Aussie number. Music of the Heart will be crying also tonight.

I have always been deeply touched by Chrissy - some thing quite stirring. when Music of the Heart learned this song - it took some time to touch Chrissy's unique internal fire and pent up emotion. What worked with Donna singing in the clip above was to simulate violence and face to face aggression - when she finally reacted she produced this... It is our most often requested Aussie number. Music of the Heart will be crying also tonight.

Tell her not to do the devils horns hand gesture when doing Divinyls numbers. Chris didn't perform METAL. And I have NEVER seen her use that gesture.

Tell her not to do the devils horns hand gesture when doing Divinyls numbers. Chris didn't perform METAL. And I have NEVER seen her use that gesture.

Oh and good luck promoting your tribute gig. I would come but I am in Phuket.

Thanks Phronesis I will pass on tonight... the recording you saw was very much impromptu - we will be re-recording the clip both tonite and next Thursday for the ANZAC music tribute and would appreciate your feedback. Chris

When I was a lad I had a lovely little petite blonde girlfriend with very rich parents. Her father was an investment banker. He was also an audiophile and had a cracking Hi Fi.

My girl had just purchased a Divinyls album.

Her parents were out of town for the weekend and so I started to record a copy of the album using her dad's high end stereo.

The girl and I started a torrid love making sessions on the floor next to the stereo and as I climaxed I bumped the turn table with my foot.

The result was a little slip on the final recording.

I still have that tape and I listen to it every decade or so....and hearing that little bump in the recording puts a very big smile on my face...

Music is a very powerful medium is it not?

Edited by Phronesis
  • Like 2

Never heard of her or the band and she was from my era!!

Last time I saw them live was at the Playroom at Tallebudgera Heads ... years ago.

So much a parallel between the Divinyls and the Pretenders ... I'm a fan of both groups.

Last time I saw them live was at the Playroom at Tallebudgera Heads ... years ago.

So much a parallel between the Divinyls and the Pretenders ... I'm a fan of both groups.

Ahhhhhh....The Playroom

Dollar drink night and sticky carpet underfoot....

• Like 1

Ah the Pretenders, I know them (and like them) - Chrisie Hind!!!