Bike Hauled Off A Parking Lot, Now In Impound

I forgot one of my old Yamaha Fresh's on a parking lot for a few weeks, and they had the police come and haul it away (I know because the security guards told me). The bike's a bit of a lemon and doesn't really run very well for very long, so I haven't been motivated to go to the police station to try to get it, and its been there a month or six weeks now. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? What charges might there be? If there's anything significant at all I won't bother to pick it up.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know the police would sell off impounded bikes if they are not reported stolen? Well off-course they can't keep them forever but?

Why don't you go to the police station and ask? You don't seems to care much about your old Fresh?biggrin.png

You should still be able to sell it for 3-5 K bath if you can get it back.

To "free" your Fresh will cost something like 4-800 bath I guess but only guessing.

Edited by guzzi850m2

It would be nice if you could come to the forum just once with good news. Anything would do. You've found the cure for cancer, you've discovered how to make an engine run on something unknown, or even hey folks I've just discovered this amazing pizza place..... biggrin.png

• Like 1

It would be nice if you could come to the forum just once with good news. Anything would do. You've found the cure for cancer, you've discovered how to make an engine run on something unknown, or even hey folks I've just discovered this amazing pizza place..... biggrin.png

Or even just to say you have a bike/car that is running perfectly... i agree it would be nice.

In answer i had a bike picked up off the side of the road. parked 3 days.. i thought it had been stolen went down the local main police station.. and got it back.. no sure how much if anything...it's amazing that you have so much crap.. you forgot one for 6-8weeks.

• Like 2

I didn't know the police would sell off impounded bikes if they are not reported stolen? Well off-course they can't keep them forever but?

Why don't you go to the police station and ask? You don't seems to care much about your old Fresh?biggrin.png

To "free" your Fresh will cost something like 4-800 bath I guess but only guessing.

4-800 bath thats a hell of a lot of baths just for a bike.

• Like 1

Almost 67 years worth for the average UK person.

Honestly I don't know what you guys are on about?

I told OP that I thought that it will cost 400-800 bath to get it from the police.

I Pattaya they sometimes impound bikes that are parked illegally and they put the bikes on a pick-up truck and drive them to storage somewhere.

This "service" is not free I think and then you have the ticket for illegal parking on top.

Back to OP, did you get your bike back?

mine got impounded in Pattaya for parking on yellow and white lines that had faded long since. So police fine was 200 baht I think but he did say ( BIB) be sure to only pay the pound 100 baht as they will ask for more. So pound fee is negotiable and there were hundreds with weeds taller than the bikes so they keep them for years by the looks of it. When I got there the BIB had even radioed through to tell them only one hundred baht for release, which I thought was excellent. Other costs were motorbike taxi to the 2 pounds and a night in ST hotel as I live 12kms outside Pattaya, their was another additional cost as I sure as hell was not going to spend the night in Patters on my own with such a good excuse for her in doors.giggle.gif

Just the one night in pound.

Edited by marstons

Where the impounds in Pattaya ,Went looking for a friends bike and i'm wondering if there is more then one .

mine got impounded in Pattaya for parking on yellow and white lines that had faded long since. So police fine was 200 baht I think but he did say ( BIB) be sure to only pay the pound 100 baht as they will ask for more. So pound fee is negotiable and there were hundreds with weeds taller than the bikes so they keep them for years by the looks of it. When I got there the BIB had even radioed through to tell them only one hundred baht for release, which I thought was excellent. Other costs were motorbike taxi to the 2 pounds and a night in ST hotel as I live 12kms outside Pattaya, their was another additional cost as I sure as hell was not going to spend the night in Patters on my own with such a good excuse for her in doors.giggle.gif

Just the one night in pound.

I told OP that I thought that it will cost 400-800 bath to get it from the police.

I Pattaya they sometimes impound bikes that are parked illegally and they put the bikes on a pick-up truck and drive them to storage somewhere.

This "service" is not free I think and then you have the ticket for illegal parking on top.

To enlighten you. The currency of Thailand is BAHT, not bath (something you take to get clean!) thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

No I haven't picked it up yet - I find it difficult to visit the police station during 'business hours' as I'm busy during that time. I have been told by Thai people that they keep the bikes pretty much indefinitely - don't normally sell them off. I'll make it down there one day, I'm sure.

The bike's not that bad except that after running for about 15 minutes it konks out. So, for 15 minute runs, its fine transportation.

No I haven't picked it up yet - I find it difficult to visit the police station during 'business hours' as I'm busy during that time. I have been told by Thai people that they keep the bikes pretty much indefinitely - don't normally sell them off. I'll make it down there one day, I'm sure.

The bike's not that bad except that after running for about 15 minutes it konks out. So, for 15 minute runs, its fine transportation.

One minute you're complaining that repairs cost a few hundred baht, and now you can't be bothered to spend an hour or so to collect a bike that's worth several thousand baht?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just lack the ability to prioritize. I suspect the former, but just in case I'm wrong, I would suggest you sell all of these old 2 strokes (assuming they actually exist) and put a deposit down on a new 110cc Honda Wave. The amount you would save on repairs and fuel bills each month would probably pay for the monthly repayment on the new bike. And in 3 years it would still run great and be worth 60% of what you paid.

• Like 1

To enlighten you. The currency of Thailand is BAHT, not bath (something you take to get clean!) thumbsup.gif

Well I just did my 6 monthly currency conversion from Aussie $ to Baht.....and boy did I take a bath on that! sad.png Last time I was 30.000 baht better off!

One minute you're complaining that repairs cost a few hundred baht, and now you can't be bothered to spend an hour or so to collect a bike that's worth several thousand baht?

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just lack the ability to prioritize. I suspect the former, but just in case I'm wrong, I would suggest you sell all of these old 2 strokes (assuming they actually exist) and put a deposit down on a new 110cc Honda Wave. The amount you would save on repairs and fuel bills each month would probably pay for the monthly repayment on the new bike. And in 3 years it would still run great and be worth 60% of what you paid.

No way buddy. I rent these bikes out. And a Wave like that would be boring. If I wanted to simplify, I'd sell all but the best 2 or 3 of my bikes. Actually the marvel with my old bikes is not anything negative but the fact that most of them are so reliable. The several old Honda Tena two strokes I have virtually never break, and always run well. And also generally speaking, it is the older four-strokes which tend to give more trouble than the old two-strokes.

Basically my only problems are very few considering I paid less for a dozen bikes than one new automatic would cost: I got one Yamaha Fresh that was a total lemon, and out of about 9 two-strokes, two have had some minor fuel leaks and slight insufficience of torque. Not so bad eh? So lets leave aside the idea that 'newer is better' - its not.

As for 'trolling' - why would you think that? I merely share the ordinary experiences of a poor teacher in Isaan: there are many of us. I will eventually go pick up the Fresh from the police, but as I have said - the bike doesn't really work, and I know it isn't going anywhere, and finally I work for a living, so I have no time to go get it when the police office is open.

Edited by ClareQuilty

No way buddy. I rent these bikes out. And a Wave like that would be boring. If I wanted to simplify, I'd sell all but the best 2 or 3 of my bikes. Actually the marvel with my old bikes is not anything negative but the fact that most of them are so reliable. The several old Honda Tena two strokes I have virtually never break, and always run well. And also generally speaking, it is the older four-strokes which tend to give more trouble than the old two-strokes.

Basically my only problems are very few considering I paid less for a dozen bikes than one new automatic would cost: I got one Yamaha Fresh that was a total lemon, and out of about 9 two-strokes, two have had some minor fuel leaks and slight insufficience of torque. Not so bad eh? So lets leave aside the idea that 'newer is better' - its not.

As for 'trolling' - why would you think that? I merely share the ordinary experiences of a poor teacher in Isaan: there are many of us. I will eventually go pick up the Fresh from the police, but as I have said - the bike doesn't really work, and I know it isn't going anywhere, and finally I work for a living, so I have no time to go get it when the police office is open.

I'm surprised there's such a big market for old 2 stroke bike rentals in Issan, even the poorest family seems to have a bike or two up there. Who are you renting them to? It must be a thriving business if you need 9 of them, I'm surprised you have time to handle all the comings and goings of your customers seeing as you're so busy teaching you don't have time to even pick up a bike from the police station.

Very odd story, but good luck getting the bike back. I doubt it will cost more than a few hundred baht.

• Like 1

Why don't you go to the police station and ask? You don't seems to care much about your old Fresh?:D

Almost 67 years worth for the average UK person.

Nice to find an equal opportunity bigot on here.

If you're looking for a stoopid answer to a stoopid question arising from some stoopidity that you could have avoided by

a) staying sober

B) not trusting an impoverished local who knows they'd been dealt a good hand as soon as you poked your head around the corner

c) waited a day before handing over the money

d) treating a local with the respect you should treat all strangers (this does not involve giving away money)

e) asking yourself if the local would have dealt, acted or charged a Thai man of your age and status in a similar fashion

Etc., etc, etc, ad infinitum . . . . . .

You have definitely come to the right place.

There will be no shortage of unbelievably stoopid suggestions from a sector of predominantly male TV members who have (several times within recent memory) done stoopider things.

Most others will laugh at you for your stoopity or in a half-@ssed stab at identifying themselves as an exceptionally droll chap of unusual wit and background, to whom a visit to some gawd-forsaken dust-bowl mansion would be well worth the time you'd spend getting there.

You are trolling for cries from existential hell.

I see you have had a rather good response.

Donnie

Sounds like you have an amazing collection of unreliable rental bikes.

They're extremely reliable, as I said above. Typically the rental bike will need a repair once in a few months. Very good bikes. The niggling problems I've had are mostly with the 2-3 bikes I have just for my own toys (clutch bikes - the renter can't drive clutch typically).

How do you just forget about leaving a motor bike in a car park? Was it registered?

I knew it was there, I just forgot to go move it. Time slips by when you are working a lot.

I'm surprised there's such a big market for old 2 stroke bike rentals in

Issan, even the poorest family seems to have a bike or two up there.

Who are you renting them to? It must be a thriving business if you need 9

of them, I'm surprised you have time to handle all the comings and

goings of your customers seeing as you're so busy teaching you don't

have time to even pick up a bike from the police station.

To foreigners, obviously. Who else would rent a motorbike? Typically teachers cannot afford to buy a newer motorbike, and if they will only stay a year (or sometimes less), its not really worth the trouble. Let's face it, generally speaking the foreigner teacher is in a state of poverty here - only the desperate would consider working for 30,000 baht/month.

However I don't really need 9: I typically only have 4-5 rented. I just like to play with old bikes. About 3 of my bikes are really just 'projects' in a sense, with 5-6 of them being really solid and reliable. The old Honda Tenas and the Smile I have are just as reliable as any new bike.

I'm surprised there's such a big market for old 2 stroke bike rentals in

Issan, even the poorest family seems to have a bike or two up there.

Who are you renting them to? It must be a thriving business if you need 9

of them, I'm surprised you have time to handle all the comings and

goings of your customers seeing as you're so busy teaching you don't

have time to even pick up a bike from the police station.

To foreigners, obviously. Who else would rent a motorbike? Typically teachers cannot afford to buy a newer motorbike, and if they will only stay a year (or sometimes less), its not really worth the trouble. Let's face it, generally speaking the foreigner teacher is in a state of poverty here - only the desperate would consider working for 30,000 baht/month.

However I don't really need 9: I typically only have 4-5 rented. I just like to play with old bikes. About 3 of my bikes are really just 'projects' in a sense, with 5-6 of them being really solid and reliable. The old Honda Tenas and the Smile I have are just as reliable as any new bike.

My stepfather works in Thailand as a teacher and he is neither in a state of poverty or desperate...........

Nice to see you have a big broad brush that you tar all and sundry with as being the same.

My stepfather works in Thailand as a teacher and he is neither in a state of poverty or desperate...........

Nice to see you have a big broad brush that you tar all and sundry with as being the same.

My apologies, I meant no offense. Certainly some people have other incomes from 'back home' and are only working for amusement or the 'teacher visa'. But for many of us, we actually live on the salary paid, so - objectively speaking - it isn't a lot of money.

My apologies, I meant no offense. Certainly some people have other incomes from 'back home' and are only working for amusement or the 'teacher visa'. But for many of us, we actually live on the salary paid, so - objectively speaking - it isn't a lot of money.

And also for many it's a starter wage... many are on a lot more.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Never understood the teachers that come here pleading poverty, simply go back to your own country and teach(need qualifications obviously) where you can earn 4-5 times as much, there is no way i would try to do the job im qualified for over here i would be on about 20% of what i could earn in my home country

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Never understood the teachers that come here pleading poverty, simply go back to your own country and teach(need qualifications obviously) where you can earn 4-5 times as much, there is no way i would try to do the job im qualified for over here i would be on about 20% of what i could earn in my home country

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I doubt you will find any qualified teachers complaining about their salary package. 60-70k for new graduates and 100-130k for experienced. Many with housing allowance.

But I digress. Ms Quilty. I hope you get the bike back

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Edited by thaicbr