Rural Thai Doctors Fault Ministry Over Bt147M Purchase Of Blood-Glucose Devices

webfact

CORRUPTION
Irregularities found in blood-glucose devices

Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

Rural doctors fault ministry over Bt147m purchase

BANGKOK: -- The Rural Doctors Society has allegedly found irregularities in the Public Health Ministry's Bt147-million procurement of a portable medical device used to measure blood-glucose levels.

The society found that the ministry's Department of Health Service Support told provincial public health offices to purchase the portable medical devices, which will be used by health volunteers nationwide to screen people with diabetes.

The ministry instructed 7,256 sub-districts to buy 81,685 sets of the equipment, at a total cost of Bt147 million. Each device cost Bt1,800.

The society also questioned the cost of test strips to be used to read the blood-glucose measurement result from the device.

The median price to purchase this test strip was about Bt11 but the market price was Bt5 to Bt11.

Society president Dr Kriangsak Watcharanukulkiat, who raised the allegation, said most hospitals no longer use the devices because it required them to also buy the test

strip to read the result and was an additional financial burden for healthcare units.

With the ministry's instruction issued on February 27 this year, some provincial public health offices had already purchased the equipment, he said.

He also questioned the Public Health Ministry's policy to allow health volunteers to use the device, when they were not allowed to draw people's blood for the test.

"We are worried that this purchasing and procurement will repeat the previous case of irregularities in medical device procurement under the Thai Khem Kaeng project," he said.

In related news, some 500 medical workers including doctors, dentists, nurses and the network of people living with HIV will today (April 24) rally outside the Public Health Ministry against Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong over his policy to pay an additional allowance for workers based on the performance principle (P4P) or the amount of work they do. They said it would reduce the allowance for them, compared to the previous allowance payment method based on their location and years of work.

To date, 155 rural doctors have resigned from state hospitals to work at private hospitals or pursue further education, because they were not happy with the new payment system.

"We are ready to negotiate with the ministry, but Pradit himself must join the negotiation and revoke the recent Cabinet resolution that approved the current allowance," Kriangsak said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-24

A directive they 'must' purchase at the highest price, more PTP skimming. Why is DSI not on this rather than chasing democrat party donations - which of course were open donations not skimmed from the Govt coffers? Typical blundering by DSI yet again. Just another day in Thailand corruption... coffee1.gif

Edited by Locationthailand
  • Like 2

Why are they paying 1800b for the units in the 1st place... that's 40 quid. You can buy cheaper from eBay or other the counter in the US or UK... crazy.

I also note it doesn't mention which model they are purchasing.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Such a device cost 400 Baht in Europe retail !
Here even at Lotus they overprice them, it was 2000 Baht there, but then you also got a Samsung mobile phone, i not know why people should have a phone that cost more then the meter, when they asked for a meter !
Many medical things are very overpriced in this country, maybe because you have to have a special license to import them etc.

Corruption license i think !

Why are they paying 1800b for the units in the 1st place... that's 40 quid. You can buy cheaper from eBay or other the counter in the US or UK... crazy.

I would put good odds on it being the cheapest one at the highest price.

And just to echo another reply ..... yes, come on DSI, do something worthwhile and investigate this (bet they don't)

• Like 1

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Of course you can buy cheaper on eBay (81,685 units please) or maybe over the counter but as you note it doesn't tell you what model they are talking about so how can anybody on here argue about the cost? - and of course say it's corruption automatically as it involves the PTP, that argument is very tired and never backed up, I've noticed.

So back to a blood glucose measuring device. A simple google brought me to the Mendor Discreet, described as the iphone of glucose meters and it cost (in 2011) 59 GBP, roughly 2,500 Baht. AND 50 test strips cost 30 GBP - thats 26 baht EACH.

With a price of 1800 baht and strips costing/being charged 11 baht (seems reasonable in comparison for a professional unit to be used in hospitals) could it be that the Rural Doctors Society are just shaking the cage to back up their dispute with the Health Ministry over the new payment system, surely not.

If it's the same one that hospital I go to gave me to check my sugar levels, then its the Accu-Chek Performa

Which costs 70 Australian dollars, just over 2000 baht plus strips at 100 for 53 aus dollars, about 15-16 baht a strip

That model cost 13-14 Euro in small quantyties !

Test stripos cost 1,5 USD for 50, less then 1 baht each !!!

Coruption, Coruption, Coruption !!!

Please tell us where you get these prices from

Edited by muttley

If it's the same one that hospital I go to gave me to check my sugar levels, then its the Accu-Chek Performa

Which costs 70 Australian dollars, just over 2000 baht plus strips at 100 for 53 aus dollars, about 15-16 baht a strip

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=New+AccuChek+Performa+Blood+Glucose+Monitor+Diabetes+kit%2B10+Test+Strips%2BSoftclix

That model cost 13-14 Euro in small quantyties !

Test stripos cost 1,5 USD for 50, less then 1 baht each !!!

Coruption, Coruption, Coruption !!!

Please tell us where you get these prices from

I have 27 years experience in international trading !

As they had bought 81000 set is it not retail prices we shall discuss.

I can supply them very cheap, and test strips cheap as well, as we can take an example, that each clinique need 10 boxes of strips (total 500 strips) then is it 810.000 boxes !

They will cost under 2 USD per box. Accu-Check Active.

Just let me know where, when and how many !

PTP government is synonymous with corruption and the antonymous of efficiency. The ministry of health is acting in a corrupt manner but what would you expect from a government run by a convicted criminal.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=New+AccuChek+Performa+Blood+Glucose+Monitor+Diabetes+kit%2B10+Test+Strips%2BSoftclix

How many countries do you know source their National Health medical supplies from eBay?

• Like 2

PTP government is synonymous with corruption and the antonymous of efficiency. The ministry of health is acting in a corrupt manner but what would you expect from a government run by a convicted criminal.

In your opinion. At least in the case of the previous government the accusations about corruption in the procurement of medical supplies were proved to be correct.

You have no evidence whatsoever that the Ministry of Health is acting in a corrupt manner, or do you? I can't wait to see your personal proof of the corruption.

In your opinion. At least in the case of the previous government the accusations about corruption in the procurement of medical supplies were proved to be correct.

You have no evidence whatsoever that the Ministry of Health is acting in a corrupt manner, or do you? I can't wait to see your personal proof of the corruption.

If you follow the international medias would you know, that Thailands corruption had gone up over the last years, from being the 85 most corrupt country a few years ago, it is not no 187 on the list (Finland and Denmark is no. 1 ) so what you think ?

They write that about 20-40% of all public fundings goes to corruption !

So when they pay 11 Baht per test strip, and the trading price in Bulk is 1 Baht, there is something wrong !!

Or are you one of these farangs !! We can not say anything bad about this wonderfull country !

Open your eyes !

How many countries do you know source their National Health medical supplies from eBay?

None.

But if ordinary Joe Public can buy one on eBay for less than the price you quoted, it's racing certainty that a Government Ministry would get it for even less, especially ordering in bulk.

None.

But if ordinary Joe Public can buy one on eBay for less than the price you quoted, it's racing certainty that a Government Ministry would get it for even less, especially ordering in bulk.

And import tax etc and by the way we are only basing this conversation on the fact that a previous poster said that this particular model is being used on him.

It doesn't mean that that is the model they have been asked to buy. I have already pointed out the price that would be paid in Australia and Great Britain which is dearer than the one quoted in the OP. So until the exact model is known along with its true cost incl. taxes in Thailand it is extremely disingenuous to be screaming corruption like certain posters on here

• Like 1

Another article on medical devices, and again lots of uninformed comments.

1. We do not purchase medical devices on ebay. Maybe some of you are willing to take the risk of not knowing where the device is from, if it is counterfeit, works, sterile etc., however, reputable and prudent health care providers that wish to retain their licenses do not.

2, The cost of a test kit depends upon the supplier, the model and the volume of the purchase. The Accu Chek test strips can be found in western markets at a cost of 15 baht to 30 baht per strip depending upon the volume purchased. The Thai cost of 11 baht is low. I don't know what brand the 5-11 baht market price is, but I would be surprised if it represented current stock or quality strips. I can source scalpel blades from India that are 1/2 the cost of the German blades. Mind you, the German blades don't leave metal shavings or break when used.

3. The test device is always sold at cost or below cost. Know why? The money is made on the sale of the test strips and the lancet. It's like a razor. Ever notice how razor companies discount their device, but the blades are rarely discounted?

4. What about the cost of the lancets? why did the doctors not mention their cost. You can't use the device or the strips without the disposable lancet. Duh. They cost too.

Sorry, but this is just a negotiating ploy by the rural doctors in their dispute with the MoH over pay.

The part about drawing blood was funny. Pricking a finger with a lancet is not drawing blood. Apparently, the news source thinks the doctors only want their cartel to undertake this task.

• Like 1

Another article on medical devices, and again lots of uninformed comments.

1. We do not purchase medical devices on ebay. Maybe some of you are willing to take the risk of not knowing where the device is from, if it is counterfeit, works, sterile etc., however, reputable and prudent health care providers that wish to retain their licenses do not.

2, The cost of a test kit depends upon the supplier, the model and the volume of the purchase. The Accu Chek test strips can be found in western markets at a cost of 15 baht to 30 baht per strip depending upon the volume purchased. The Thai cost of 11 baht is low. I don't know what brand the 5-11 baht market price is, but I would be surprised if it represented current stock or quality strips. I can source scalpel blades from India that are 1/2 the cost of the German blades. Mind you, the German blades don't leave metal shavings or break when used.

3. The test device is always sold at cost or below cost. Know why? The money is made on the sale of the test strips and the lancet. It's like a razor. Ever notice how razor companies discount their device, but the blades are rarely discounted?

4. What about the cost of the lancets? why did the doctors not mention their cost. You can't use the device or the strips without the disposable lancet. Duh. They cost too.

Sorry, but this is just a negotiating ploy by the rural doctors in their dispute with the MoH over pay.

The part about drawing blood was funny. Pricking a finger with a lancet is not drawing blood. Apparently, the news source thinks the doctors only want their cartel to undertake this task.

Often when I have had my finger pricked for a blood test in the local government hospital, it is done with a syringe needle instead of a lancet, and this is how it was done before retracting lancets, so the dvice can be used without them. I always assumed this was done in Thailand to save money. This procedure on me has never been done by a doctor but always a nurse or phlebotomist or myself.

Edited by Buckaroo

None.

And import tax etc and by the way we are only basing this conversation on the fact that a previous poster said that this particular model is being used on him.

It doesn't mean that that is the model they have been asked to buy. I have already pointed out the price that would be paid in Australia and Great Britain which is dearer than the one quoted in the OP. So until the exact model is known along with its true cost incl. taxes in Thailand it is extremely disingenuous to be screaming corruption like certain posters on here

Mutley, give it a break. We all know you are red through and through, as are many TV posters but waving the anti corruption flag is about as lame as your accusations in trying to justify or explain what you don't know.

• Like 1

well if it is the Accucheck Performa i hope that they all got the free towel worth 390b as per the newspaper advert in Thairath last week...I think it's a bloody good chance t's the same unit the hospitals have.

post-62652-0-46158900-1366817154_thumb.j