Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Good article on Brendan Rodgers and Liverpool.

http://www.theliverp...erpool-manager/

While it's OK to say "he's a good manager, and what we need" or something similar, its the whole management structure that the owners are trying to impliment thats going to be the downfall perhaps.

This "Director of Football" post is a nonesense, and one thats never worked in UK wherever its been tried. Throw in the position of a "Technical Director" as well and you have a 3 tier management system.

Too many cooks spoiling the broth, methinks. Especially if (as expected) van Gaal takes the post of DF.

I remember Shanks, when he retired was told not to come round to Melwood again, as he was undermining Bob Paisley by his mere presence there.

There's a reason why all the big guns that are availible are turning their noses up at the post. Could THIS be the reason???

Penkoprod

• Like 1

well FSG are going to stand or fall on this new structure penkoprod. i'm just about inclined to trust them for not being idiots at this point. but i'm still not totally confident they know what they are doing.

the DoF model works perfectly well elsewhere - man city and chelsea for example - as well as at almost all top european clubs. be interesting to see if van gaal can keep his nose out of team management affairs though.

bbc reporting it's rodgers. which i think i like. he'll do. just want a manager in now and for us to get on with it.

well FSG are going to stand or fall on this new structure penkoprod. i'm just about inclined to trust them for not being idiots at this point. but i'm still not totally confident they know what they are doing.

the DoF model works perfectly well elsewhere - man city and chelsea for example - as well as at almost all top european clubs. be interesting to see if van gaal can keep his nose out of team management affairs though.

bbc reporting it's rodgers. which i think i like. he'll do. just want a manager in now and for us to get on with it.

It is easy to have mixed feelings on this one.

I think most people like Rodgers, his style of play and what he has achieved at Swansea.

Does that qualify him for the hot seat at Anfield ?

Not with the Liverpool I knew of old. On the negative side to an outsider the appointment looks risky and lacks ambition. If he is atoken head of a management structure then everyones time is being wasted - if he is expected to be the genuine leader of the team going forward then the owners risk the accusation that they have taken the soft option.

At least England appointed a guy who had won something.

Either way, I wish Brendan Rodgers well. British football is woefully short on good, successful managers and he now has a chance to show what he can do with a so-called big club.

• Like 1

Who is Brendan Rodgers?

• 1973: Born 26 January in Carnlough, Northern Ireland
  • 1987: Begins career as a defender with Ballymena United
  • 1990: Joins Reading as a teenager before being forced to retire through injury. Remains as a coach
  • 2004: Jose Mourinho appoints Rodgers as Chelsea youth team manager
  • 2006: The Blues promote him to reserve team manager
  • 2008: Joins Watford
  • June 2009: Returns to Reading to replace Steve Coppell
  • December 2009: Leaves by mutual consent after a bad start
  • July 2010: Returns to management with Swansea
  • May 2011: Guides the Swans to promotion via play-offs
  • May 2012: Leads Swansea to 11th in their first Premier League campaign

From the BBC website

Edited by MrRed

I think no matter what your feelings are to this appointment, good or bad, if you are true Liverpool fan its time to shup up and get behind the team and the manager. We dont want a repeat of what went on with Roy Hodgson.... because lets face it.....it was embarrassing for both the club, the fans and for Roy (who lets face it, seems like a decent guy). That episode in my opinion set the club back a few years and damaged its reputation.

So good luck Mr. Rogers.......

• Like 1

I think no matter what your feelings are to this appointment, good or bad, if you are true Liverpool fan its time to shup up and get behind the team and the manager. We dont want a repeat of what went on with Roy Hodgson.... because lets face it.....it was embarrassing for both the club, the fans and for Roy (who lets face it, seems like a decent guy). That episode in my opinion set the club back a few years and damaged its reputation.

Atlast! So so true. Time to get behind the manager whether he understands you all. Who cares if he loves you! Who cares if he hasn't unlocked the key to the 64k dollar question of what it is to be a Liverpool fan!! Just support him!

Atlast! So so true. Time to get behind the manager whether he understands you all. Who cares if he loves you! Who cares if he hasn't unlocked the key to the 64k dollar question of what it is to be a Liverpool fan!! Just support him!

I hope someone from here has informed him of the "Liverpool way" 23.gif

Edited by alfieconn

It's called 'The American Way'

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Big step up for him. No matter who you appoint at any club to some extent it's in the lap of the gods.

yeah it's a right old punt by the owners this - particularly if as it's looking now there's no director of football with the clout of van gaal or similar. i wish him luck but he's hugely unproven. but then hey, chelsea just won the european cup with a novice manager in charge. so who knows.

perhaps the biggest worry for me is the impact on signings. players will still want to come to liverpool because it's a big club and can pay decent wages, but the lack of champions league football combined with a non-star name manager lessens the pull.

Ay news on Steve Clark? Not confirmed that he has actually gone.Rumours at the time were he quit out of loyalty for Kenny but then FSG didn't accept his resignation?? Really hoping he sticks around to work with Rodgers for some consistency.

More happy with Rodgers being appointed than Martinez! which looked to be a dead on cert it was going to be Martinez?

I can't say I am enthusiastic with the appointment but here's hoping he does a good job and gets time from all involved. Sure he will do a good job and he has a good footballing philosophy that should suit LFC. The key factor will be if FSG invest now NET SPEND and we get some players in that we needed this summer- such as a proven Finisher, Creative mid/winger and possibly a 2nd LB or other.

Very surprised DOF hasn't been announced yet also, very strange to be honest.

YNWA

Ay news on Steve Clark? Not confirmed that he has actually gone.Rumours at the time were he quit out of loyalty for Kenny but then FSG didn't accept his resignation?? Really hoping he sticks around to work with Rodgers for some consistency.

More happy with Rodgers being appointed than Martinez! which looked to be a dead on cert it was going to be Martinez?

I can't say I am enthusiastic with the appointment but here's hoping he does a good job and gets time from all involved. Sure he will do a good job and he has a good footballing philosophy that should suit LFC. The key factor will be if FSG invest now NET SPEND and we get some players in that we needed this summer- such as a proven Finisher, Creative mid/winger and possibly a 2nd LB or other.

YNWA

Dev to be fair you were the sole Liverpool fan on here that was relatively happy and optomistic at the end of last season.

I think you might well be ecstatic come the end of next season. His appointment is a real punt for sure but it will probably reduce unrealistic expectations and allow you to go under the radar for a while.

With the key players fit and playing regularily you might do very well under this guy. Lets hope your fans give him a chance. He will need time.

YNWA

Dev to be fair you were the sole Liverpool fan on here that was relatively happy and optomistic at the end of last season.

I think you might well be ecstatic come the end of next season. His appointment is a real punt for sure but it will probably reduce unrealistic expectations and allow you to go under the radar for a while.

With the key players fit and playing regularily you might do very well under this guy. Lets hope your fans give him a chance. He will need time.

Fair point... I recall listening to a few of his interviews last season and thought what a cool guy he seems and very comfortable in the media. It wasn't until reading a few articles I realised he worked under Morhino and gained some insight into his career but still a unknown name to join such a big club, which is why I hope he gets Clark to stay on I really do.

I am concerned the likes of Reina, Agger, Suarez might be tempted to move on and don't see this as progress.

We need to inject some cash though into transfers this year more than ever and I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Allen his ex player joins us who would be a good buy but do we have any targets already in place or have we left this all to late?

He's got a decent squad to work with and they will improve this season given they have had a season to gel and showed they improved plus England games together where we have more than 4-5 players in the Euros.

I do fear though if we get off to a bad start next season the pressure might be too much! And I have no idea what the Owners expectations are other than what can only guess is a must Top 4 and that seems way out of reach!

I want to see some club identity back and out of the headlines for the wrong reasons. Play some good attacking football, have some good cup runs again and well challenging around the CL places even it takes a few more seasons- I want to see a plan and stick to it!

Edited by Devil

To be honest, we werent go to attract any marquee signings whoever was the manager. Nowadays it is 90% about the money and the rest is CL football. Hazard didnt even wait for Chelsea to sign a manager.

I generally like the idea of a young manager and I think Liverpool needs to take a gamble. FSG are financing the gamble afterall. I would prefer to go with Rodgers rather than say Capello, who might be the most proven manager on the planet, but is 65, will have us playing defensive football, will leave after a couple of years and then we will have to start again.

I dont believe we are getting the basics right at the moment at Liverpool. The backbone of the current squad isnt that bad and we should be beating the lower ranked clubs in the league but we are not. If we simply won our HOME games against the 10 bottom ranked clubs in the Premiership we would have scored 18 more points last season. Brendan Rodgers put together Swansea for less than the cost of Stewart Downing and they ran rings around Liverpool in the last game of the season with 63% possession. So long as he receives the patience and support he deserves, I dont see why he shouldnt be successful.

I have been a Liverpool supporter all my life.........but I know that the Liverpool has not worked in 22 years now............clearly the owners tried the Liverpool way and for them it didnt work. Its time for a different approach......time to move upwards and onwards.........

YNWA

Rodgers has worked with Steve Clarke before (at Chelski). Could be the reason the resignation was turned down...and not followed through with by Clarke. If that is the case then BR appears to have been in the picture a lot longer than anyone will ever admit to. As to purchasing players, we already have a v good LB in Robinson, an even better winger in Sterling + Suso/Texeira as young creative MF's. Hope Rodgers is brave enough to give them their chance. A proven finisher however is definitely the priority.

YNWA

Rodgers has worked with Steve Clarke before (at Chelski). Could be the reason the resignation was turned down...and not followed through with by Clarke. If that is the case then BR appears to have been in the picture a lot longer than anyone will ever admit to. As to purchasing players, we already have a v good LB in Robinson, an even better winger in Sterling + Suso/Texeira as young creative MF's. Hope Rodgers is brave enough to give them their chance. A proven finisher however is definitely the priority.

What, no Andy 40.gif

YNWA

Well we did qualify qualify for Europe (europa) so I am sure the youngster will have to be used depending what are season priorities are? To be fair I thought Kenny did well on that front on handling the youngsters, a few wanted to see more of Sterling but not an easy balance between gelling the new signings and blooding youngsters. I certainly wouldn't want us to rely on Robinson as 2nd choice LB not yet anyway. We still need an experienced player to fill on for Enrique when needed.

The proven finisher is going to be the difficult one...I am not optimistic on this front we will get some one in that can hit the ground running and wont of already been snapped up by the top 4 or other teams in the CL, we may have to rely on the Suarez Carroll partnership to blossom.

YNWA

Well we did qualify qualify for Europe (europa) so I am sure the youngster will have to be used depending what are season priorities are? To be fair I thought Kenny did well on that front on handling the youngsters, a few wanted to see more of Sterling but not an easy balance between gelling the new signings and blooding youngsters. I certainly wouldn't want us to rely on Robinson as 2nd choice LB not yet anyway. We still need an experienced player to fill on for Enrique when needed.

The proven finisher is going to be the difficult one...I am not optimistic on this front we will get some one in that can hit the ground running and wont of already been snapped up by the top 4 or other teams in the CL, we may have to rely on the Suarez Carroll partnership to blossom.

No worries about Jack Robbo...he would have played more last year but for injury. In any event Johnson can cover left back as well with Kelly playing RB...GJ is actually better defensively when he plays on that side. Would rather spend more on a "fox in the box" type than spread the spending more thinly across several positions.

No worries about Jack Robbo...he would have played more last year but for injury. In any event Johnson can cover left back as well with Kelly playing RB...GJ is actually better defensively when he plays on that side. Would rather spend more on a "fox in the box" type than spread the spending more thinly across several positions.

think we're still far too light in centre mid. need a top class lad there who can cover defensive mid if lucas is out but play alongside lucas as well and contribute to attack. most of our problems last season came from centre mid.

would like a goalscorer (giroud from montpellier would be lovely but he'll probably want CL football) and a ballcarrying wide lad as well - hoilett from blackburn would do on a free. we may well need a new centre back and keeper too if skrtel and reina move on.

Well, looks like its fallen!!!!

Yesterday it was said that Martinez turned down the job citing his "serious misgivings" about working with a DoF

Today, its being reported that Rodgers was going to walk away from the deal unless he was given full control of the team...IE, NO DoF

One word............GOOD !!!!

Penkoprod

no, i still think we'll have a director of football but just with a narrower remit. pep segura as head of player scouting and recruitment or something. but i would've been more reassured if the man was a senior football man with all the contacts etc.

martinez can bugger off though really. we shouldn't be tailoring our entire club structure and future to the manager of wigan, i'm sorry.

think we're still far too light in centre mid. need a top class lad there who can cover defensive mid if lucas is out but play alongside lucas as well and contribute to attack. most of our problems last season came from centre mid.

would like a goalscorer (giroud from montpellier would be lovely but he'll probably want CL football) and a ballcarrying wide lad as well - hoilett from blackburn would do on a free. we may well need a new centre back and keeper too if skrtel and reina move on.

Agree with Lucas back up as Spearing proved he's not good enough. Will be interesting tho' to see what happens with Henderson and Adam with regards to the CM spot. To be fair to Henderson, Kenny didn't really give him a chance in that position.

Hoilett would be good but I reckon Dyer/Sinclair may be the ones BR will go for (hope Raheem is given the chance tho'). Not bothered about Skrtel rumours as they were initiated by a joke site...even so, Agger/Coates are already here as is Andre Wisdom and Martin Kelly (who has all the attributes for a CB).