Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

So when they post something you agree with, it's ok.

if someone posts something that's clearly stupid then i'll generally say so.

Such as this <deleted> james saying Masch is not very good? What? This man just doesn't know football. Big matches? Here's your homework. Go and watch the Champions League Final against A.C. Milan from 2007. Yes, that's the second final against Milan, not the first. Masch was man of the match in my opinion, with Pennant very close behind (sadly, Pennant's last true great performance for Liverpool). In the big match, Masch proved his worth. As for the red card against United, it was utter nonsense on the referree and he only got it because of the "current climate" they kept talking about, not for what he did. He was daft if talking about the stupid shit "current climate," but otherwise all he asked was what Torres said to get a yellow card, and that was it. Although, he's not the captain so he doesn't deserve an explanation.

Thanks for providing the humor to this forum bkkjames, as it's funny to see a Brit bandwagon fan who doesn't even know good football as well as an American like moi.

Liverpool v Hull

Lets stay top boys! and put in another good performance.

Raffa Pre Match Conference:

Torres could be back in 1-2 weeks, Aurelio may feature as he has recovered from a calf injury.

YNWA

excellent work from rafa in the press conference shooting down that load of sh*te that the rag published this week. 'everyone knows that you cannot trust this newspaper'. brilliant stuff.

be interesting to see how hull approach today, so far they've gone away most games and gone for it, even at old trafford. i'll be happier they do that at our place rather than sitting ten behind the ball.

Exhausting to watch... And I wasn't expecting a 2-2 result. It looks like we wont be top after Sunday :o

Great game for any neutrals as that was end to end action. Full marks to Hull as they stuck to their guns of going at teams this season.

Positives- Some really good performances from the likes of Reira, Arbeloa I thought and of course Gerrard was outstanding. I was not impressed again with Dossena defensively! but he looked ok going forward.

Keane was left on the bench again for a EPL game and Kuyt never looke likley to score as the front man.

Very frustrating. Apart from the destruction of Chelski and Manure ( :D:o:D ) that was our most dominant display of the season. Time and time again we're not finishing our creativity. For long periods (70%) we ripped them apart and still only managed a point. Dossena guilty for the first goal and dear old Cara at it again with the second.

But we're still top and that's what counts. At the worst we'll be a mere one point adrift this afternoon and "they"' have got to come to our ground yet!

Lets keep the faith

p.s. When the best striker in the EPL returns (Torres of course) we'll have TWO players to keep us from mid-table mediocrity !

Edited by The Vulcan

I can't believe the fact that Liverpool spend 20m on a Striker, who's on the bench, looking to increase the lead at the top of the League to 4 points, are playing a Club at Home who 99% of people expected them to beat, are struggling with 10 mins to go at 0-0, & bring in Lucas ????????????

I can't believe the fact that Liverpool spend 20m on a Striker, who's on the bench, looking to increase the lead at the top of the League to 4 points, are playing a Club at Home who 99% of people expected them to beat, are struggling with 10 mins to go at 0-0, & bring in Lucas ????????????

The game I watched was 2-2 with 10 minutes to go! :o

Struggling to convert for sure, but in no other respect!

Edited by The Vulcan

keane's just not been a goal threat at all lately though and there's some stat about us having won 80-odd per cent of the games lucas has come on in.

we do look toothless up front without torres though.

Once the Red Tide had been galvanised, as usual by Stevie G, I enjoyed this match immensly. And so did the Mrs and she's an Arsenal supporter.

It turned into a spirited game and we should have had two more goals.

Sorry for workhorse Cara.

And what was Keano doing on the bench?

The last few weeks none of the top four have looked like winning the league, have they? It's going to be a close race this year I think. In my opinion, it's either Liverpool or Chelsea. Arsenal I think have no chance to win the league, and I think a lot of people feel that way. As for Man U, I think they are under-performing and could easily hit a stretch where they win five in a row scoring 3 or more in each. However, I think there is some lack of belief or relaxation having won two straight coming from them right now. Also, I think their games in hand (they'll get another one as they travel to Japan next week) will turn out not to be beneficial. They weren't for Liverpool when they went to Japan and weren't for A.C. Milan when they went to Japan. I think winning the Champions League and going to Japan somehow makes it harder to win the league the next year for that respective team. Even Barcelona couldn't manage it although only just. Man U seem either on fire or missing on all cylinders like they did against Spurs yesterday. Chelsea are vulnerable at the wings in defense, I think, and that is what is holding them back.

What Liverpool needs to do is win, win, and win starting against Arsenal. Three straight home draws isn't going to cut it anymore. They have to turn it around now. I guarantee that not all four top clubs will draw again next week, so they have to start winning those games at home. Against Arsenal, I think we can repeat the wins against the other top two, and if we do, Liverpool will be the favorites for the title in my opinion. I'll second that if by New Year Liverpool are top. I suppose the latter has always been the best indicator of who will win the league, except in the case of Newcastle, right? :o

Oh, and uh, didn't realize Bellamy was still playing in a Reds shirt. He scored a good goal for Liverpool ('s fortune) against Chelsea today, did he not?

Edited by Jimjim

Hate to say this but it seems the stars are aligned for LP this year. Everytime they slip up and leave the door open, so too do Chels, ManU and Arse.

Perhaps it's time to visit some spirit man in Chaing Mai to change the current aura. :o

nah, i'm still not convinced. it remains one game at a time but i think we still don't have enough real matchwinners outside of gerrard and torres. babel's not done it, keane's a mystery at the minute, we don't have the depth of squad that manyoo and chelsea do. so it'll take huge slices of luck between now and may.

StevieH, Kuyt was awful against Hull but he scored the winning goal against Man City and Wigan in two stunning comebacks. Riera had the winner against PSV, and I believe he is fully capable of winning matches. True, Babel won the Man U match but that was his only league goal. But, lets be positive, aye?

I'm not saying I'm convinced either, yet. I just think they will give it a fair go and that's more than can be said for Liverpool for a long while. I guarantee it won't be 4th again, though. It's gonna be 1-3, and I think likely 1-2 for Liverpool. Rafa likes to mention how he guided Valencia to the title, and says he did it with inferior players compared to Real Madrid. I think he is slyly saying it was his managing. I believe he has full confidence he can do the same with Liverpool.

Did anyone notice how Rafa basically said he was aware Gerrard was at his best just behind the striker? We may be seeing a lot more of that. Perhaps Keane will be on the outs for a bit? Or he will start Kuyt at the right and Keane up top.

StevieH, Kuyt was awful against Hull but he scored the winning goal against Man City and Wigan in two stunning comebacks. Riera had the winner against PSV, and I believe he is fully capable of winning matches. True, Babel won the Man U match but that was his only league goal. But, lets be positive, aye?

I'm not saying I'm convinced either, yet. I just think they will give it a fair go and that's more than can be said for Liverpool for a long while. I guarantee it won't be 4th again, though. It's gonna be 1-3, and I think likely 1-2 for Liverpool. Rafa likes to mention how he guided Valencia to the title, and says he did it with inferior players compared to Real Madrid. I think he is slyly saying it was his managing. I believe he has full confidence he can do the same with Liverpool.

Did anyone notice how Rafa basically said he was aware Gerrard was at his best just behind the striker? We may be seeing a lot more of that. Perhaps Keane will be on the outs for a bit? Or he will start Kuyt at the right and Keane up top.

oh don't get me wrong jimjim, i'm delighted to be top and am also aware that we've done it by a) not really playing that consistently well yet and :o without the best striker in the world. it's just slightly frustrating that as our rivals around us are dropping points we're not profiting from it, but then it's shaping up to be a really funny season - something like 84 or 85 points might be enough for the title - and teams that were expected to be whipping boys this season are proving to be a lot better than we thought they would.

i won't hear a word against kuyt as i love the bloke, but he's not a lone front man. he's been great at right mid this season and him playing up top against blackburn and hull seems to point to rafa being pissed off with keane and babel. in which case they both need to pull their fingers out and start showing some determination and attitude.

there's no question that gerrard's best position is in the hole and not in the centre of the park. problem is that we have no real alternative to torres when he's out.

Interesting comments from someone who is / has just signed a really big extension contract ..

Rafael Benítez has effectively written off Liverpool's title chances even though his team lead the Premier League after 16 matches in which they have lost only once. Benítez's side have defeated both Manchester United and Chelsea during a promising opening to the season as they chase the club's first championship since 1990 but the manager is downbeat about their chances of lasting the pace.

"For us to win the league we need Chelsea, Man United and Arsenal to mess up their season," he was quoted by the Sun. "It is very rare that three teams all mess up. So there's no point waiting for our direct adversaries to slip up because it won't happen. They all have a lot greater financial means than us."

Would be interested to get the thoughts from LP supporters. Is it just a case of him trying to take some pressure off the squad or do you read more into it - like Torres injury is more serious than being reported and hence the gloom and doom?

RAFA Benitez has blasted reports claiming he does not believe Liverpool can win the league this season.

The Reds boss was outraged by a story which appeared in The Sun newspaper yesterday, attributing quotes to him questioning Liverpool's ability to see off the challenge of Manchester United and Chelsea.

Benitez insists he never said any such thing and backed his team to deliver a title challenge if they can continue to fight it out at the top over the Christmas period.

"It's rubbish," he said.

"I have always said the same thing – it's really difficult to win the league because there are other top sides here in England.

"But we are at the top of the table now.

"And I can say that if we are still top after Christmas, we will have a good chance of challenging for the title.

"We have confidence and my message is the same – we have enough quality in the squad to fight for the title and that is exactly what everyone at the club wants to do."

The article which angered Benitez was based on a translation of an interview he gave to a French magazine recently and the Liverpool boss was quick to distance himself from the claims.

He has no problem with the way the interview was reproduced in France but is adamant the version that appeared in the British tabloid is not an accurate representation of what he actually said.

"The truth is very clear.It was an interview with a French journalist and we were talking about tactics.

"I was really surprised with the story but everyone in Liverpool knows about this newspaper.

"The journalist was surprised, we were surprised, everyone was surprised. The only thing that cannot surprise you is the name of the newspaper.

"Everyone in Liverpool knows the name of this newspaper and you know that you cannot trust them."

Liverpool have confirmed Rafa Benitez is due to have surgery after suffering a kidney stones problem.

The news comes just 24 hours after Chelsea chief Luiz Felipe Scolari spent a night in hospital with a similar problem.

Benitez was admitted to hospital in the early hours of Monday morning and he will have a minor operation later on Monday.

The Spaniard is expected to return to work later this week after the minor operation.

"Rafa was admitted to hospital last night after suffering problems with a kidney stone," said a club spokesman.

"He will undergo a minor operation this afternoon and is expected to return to work within two or three days.

"He remains in good spirits and everyone at Liverpool wishes him a very speedy recovery."

Now Rafa and Luiz have something in common - both are suffering from a case of small stones.

yeah, difference being that rafa will pop his out and then berate it for positional sloppiness and tactical naivety.

Besides SAF, Rafa looks like the most likely candidate for a corony at any moment IMO.

Not wishing this of course for either, but was wondering in all your years of following the game, has any manager dropped dead in the middle of a game? What about players?

It happens in North America for a young basketball / football player to up and die from time to time but I don't recall anything in English football.

Besides SAF, Rafa looks like the most likely candidate for a corony at any moment IMO.

Not wishing this of course for either, but was wondering in all your years of following the game, has any manager dropped dead in the middle of a game? What about players?

It happens in North America for a young basketball / football player to up and die from time to time but I don't recall anything in English football.

nah from what i've heard rafa's actually pretty healthy. ged houllier had to be rushed to hospital at half-time during one of our matches for surgery on his aorta, think that was pretty life-threatening at the time.

only one i remember dying was the legendary scotland manager jock stein who collapsed and died at the end of a match in the 80s, think he even died in the stadium dressing room. tragic that was.

Well, the Boss said he plans to keep on managing United for the foreseeable future so I guess you will have to put off for a few years yet. :o

the boss? do you mean bruce springsteen?

don't worry, ferguson's well down my 2009 death list anyway. far, far behind thatcher, kelvin mckenzie and the like. . .