Grumpy Expat Car Drivers From Hell

manarak

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just need to apply defensive driving and learn to read the traffic better.

As far as I am concerned, everybody else on the road are potential accidents, I just read the traffic, adjust and always ready for a surprise.

I drive defensively, no worries :)

I am just puzzled by what appears to be intentional misbehavior by some drivers.

As far as I am concerned, everybody else on the road are potential accidents, I just read the traffic, adjust and always ready for a surprise.

I drive defensively, no worries smile.png

I am just puzzled by what appears to be intentional misbehavior by some drivers.

When they get blocked and you can go, a swift kick to the side panel might work. Or follow them til they park and 'key' them.

• Like 2

Stupid rant for sure.. if all the motorcycles kept the distance on traffic lights and such you would be waiting much longer.

Not shure about that; it would be right if the motocys wouldn't be such cowards not daring to interrupt other vehicles from running the red light.

one of the bad things is the moving from left to right that is always annoying

specially when you are on a motorbike and try to pass one of those jokers

however what i usually do and that's also what they taught me if when making a left turn close the gap to the side-walk or parked cars so no motor bike push bike can squeeze in and then continue on straight on that mean i have to let them go first so close the gap for everybody's safety

further more drive a car now for 6 years in Thailand and expecting the worst of every situation is what kept me from a few accidents

just keep in mind everybody else on the road maybe cannot drive so you have to watch everything , even 2 km ahead and behind

Have you got a Big Bike?

If so, get in the overtaking position, de-clutch, rev the engine hard with lotsa noise.

The car driver usually moves to the left and you can glide by safely whilst he is muttering stuff like <deleted>, Who does he think he is, Jezus H C!! etc.

But, job done, you were seen and passed safely.

Just sayin

Have you got a Big Bike?

If so, get in the overtaking position, de-clutch, rev the engine hard with lotsa noise.

The car driver usually moves to the left and you can glide by safely whilst he is muttering stuff like <deleted>, Who does he think he is, Jezus H C!! etc.

Just sayin

nope, a yamaha nouvo and I would rather die than owning a noisy bike.

• Like 1

Stupid rant for sure.. if all the motorcycles kept the distance on traffic lights and such you would be waiting much longer.

Not shure about that; it would be right if the motocys wouldn't be such cowards not daring to interrupt other vehicles from running the red light.

You clearly haven't seen me crossing the Sukhumvit, I take them all on, even tour buses........as long as I can see that they are moving at a speed from which they can stop I put my front wheel out in front every time. Even had the wife joining in the rant at a colour blind mini-van driver who swore (quite literally - such language for my delicate ears) that his light was still green...........it most certainly wasn't!

• Like 1

Your OP states you tried to go down the inside. coffee1.gif

You clearly haven't seen me crossing the Sukhumvit, I take them all on, even tour buses........as long as I can see that they are moving at a speed from which they can stop I put my front wheel out in front every time. Even had the wife joining in the rant at a colour blind mini-van driver who swore (quite literally - such language for my delicate ears) that his light was still green...........it most certainly wasn't!

Probably the green chang bottle that confused him.

Have you got a Big Bike?

Just sayin

Or more likely ... go on fella... enjoy the freedom..

I drive one of two ways in traffic.. IF there is space for the bike to pass without risking damage / scratches to my car or tapping my wing mirror I ensure that I make this room available. I think most cars do the same.

However, if there is little space and I worry that the bike may damage / scratch my car as they attempt to squeeze through a gap thats not there, then I'll block the gap. But mostly, bikes know their size and what they can and can't squeeze through.

With the amount of Bikes and Cars on the road I think there is a great deal of manners afforded to the bikes by the cars. On the other hand, I see so many bikes taking silly chances such as sneaking up the blind side of a car when the driver has no idea of their presence.

Of course - as the OP mentions, there are some who drive without any awareness of anything behind their ears. Revving the engine to alert the cars of a bikes awareness is a good idea.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

In reply to the OP, here's my 2 bahts worth:

1. They are grumpy old men and ignorant drivers regardless of their country of origin.

2. They own a car and assume that any farang riding a scooter is a tourist. They therefore have the "bloody tourist" attitude on top of the grumpy old man attitude.

3. They get frustrated because all day they feel harassed by Thai motorcyclists (and Thai motorists) dominating the road and causing them grief (as pereceived by them).

4. They know that despite their feelings of being harassed by Thais on the road, there is sweet FA they can do about it because it will end in tears for them and probably cost money.

5. They see a farang motorcyclist coming up in their mirror with no Thais around and think "arrogant bloody farang tourist, thinks he owns the <deleted> road does he, well I'll show him that I have more right to be here than him because I own a car and am a long termer here, he's just here to shag a few bargirls, so I'm gonna indicate as late as I can at the next left turn and if he hits me, tough cookies.....what?? Little sod is trying to undertake me and he's not even Thai!! I'll show him the little upstart!!!" etc etc.

And that's how it happens because I've been in similar situations - Thai drivers are actually quite courteous and drive according to the local customs. Invariably it is the GOM contingent that cause problems for me. After having a completely uncalled for "near miss" caused by a GOM that I recognised but didn't know, I sought him out a few days later at a bar and struck up a conversation with him - the 5 points above are the result of the conversation. He thought I was a nice bloke, even bought me a drink. I then enjoyed telling him I was the "bloody tourist" that he nearly killed a few days previous and that next time he might be driving home minus a couple of wing mirrors and his gonads.

I guess that is pretty close to the truth!

You need to realize that you are on a motor vehicle and as such you don't have any more rights than any other vehicles. You want to pass on the left, just be aware that is a blind side and most motorists are not going to see you there, so pass at your own risk, and don't get bent out of shape when you are blocked

Does your motorcycle license have a special permit that allows you to be first in line at a light ? Are the lines that are painted on the road just a guide for you since you are small so don't have to use them ? Since you are always in such a rush does that mean when traffic is stopped you have the right to drive the wrong way ?

Why can't I take my car and drive up on the foot path because I don't want to wait

Now my rant is over

Outed grumpy expat car driver count so far: 2

clap2.gif

Of course - as the OP mentions, there are some who drive without any awareness of anything behind their ears. Revving the engine to alert the cars of a bikes awareness is a good idea.

he definitely noticed me, otherwise he couldn't have swerved three times with perfect timing to hinder me.

to other posters, who maybe have never been on third road towards bali hai: the road is large enough (2 rather generous lanes) to put a small car on either side of the car that blocked my way!

Your OP states you tried to go down the inside. coffee1.gif

Would you please elaborate on why this justifies swerving?

(as I point out in a further post, the left lane was free and the car was not observing traffic laws by not using it)

Outed grumpy expat car driver count so far: 3

Edited by manarak

... or as I used to say even in the US before moving to Thailand:

You can be right and dead at the same time.

Well I was going to wait to the end for this post but your avatar is pertinent to it.

So here goes. Back home we called them the hat people. Get in set themselves up mirrors and all that start the car and then using both hands pull their hat down then precede to grab the wheel at the ten o clock and two o clock positions and begin to creep into traffic slowing the other traffic down while they creep along.